As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

American Primaries: Super Tuesday. YES WE CAN!

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Faggy Toes wrote: »
    defrag wrote: »
    So, seriously, everyone I've seen in the Bay Area is all about Obama. I find it hard to believe that it's so Clinton-heavy in CA. But, then again, someone in SE++ said the Bay hasn't reported yet. :shrug:
    So-Cal, man. They're old and stupid down there.

Fuck you. My Obama vote is going to stem the tide.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Derrick wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not really sold thus far on McCain being hot shit so far as military goes.

Okay he got thrown in a POW camp for a long time. While regrettable, I don't see that as showing exemplary military insight or skill. He graduated what? 3rd from last in his class? Now certainly I could be wrong (and feel free to correct me) but I don't think we're dealing with any military genius here. Looks to me like a guy getting decades of free ride off of 5.5 years of total shit.

I had a delivery driver at work who was convinced that McCain was Manchurian Candidate. I think a lot of people have the wrong idea of what his military service means, both for and against.

thanimations on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guess what's the next big state? Washington, bitches. That's PA country.

Savant on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Matrijs wrote: »
    What the fuck are you talking about? Electability shouldn't influence your vote at all in a general election. There are two viable candidates - you pick the one who you think would be the best President.

Unless you have some kind of compulsion to vote for a winner, I don't see what you get out of voting for McCain.
    I'm not saying I would vote for McCain, I'm saying that if you put McCain v. Hilary in a general election, even after 8 years of one of the most unpopular Republican presidents in the history of the United States, they both have an equal shot at winning the Presidency.

Hilary is a terrible, terrible candidate, and all her supporters are putting the future of the nation in jeopardy by supporting her.

BUT THEN AGAIN

She seriously might be worse than McCain for our country, because seriously let's be fucking honest with ourselves -- outside of the hard fought party politics -- Hilary really isn't that much fucking better than John McCain as a candidate for the President of the USA. Both bring a certain amount to the table, and neither are very desirable to me.

You'll have to do some fucking convincing if you seriously want me to believe that Hilary, as President, would be night and day with John McCain.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    have gabe or tycho given their pledge of super-duper-extreme-awesome delegate votes to anyone yet?

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There, I just donated $49 to Barack Obama, and signed up to volunteer if they need me (which I doubt; I live in Obama country). I don't want to hear it, assholes. I did my part.
    ^^ walks the walk ^^

• TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Since I've been watching, the CA count has tightened from 55 - 33 to 54 - 34, and it's still only at 22% reporting.

Also, I really need to fucking go to bed.

Taximes on
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    celery77 wrote: »
    Hilary is a terrible, terrible candidate, and all her supporters are putting the future of the nation in jeopardy by supporting her.

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sorry Than, you're no boomer. Just don't give up hope yet. We can still win this.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So I checked some websites and Nebraska's voting rights for workers say that employees get up-to two hours off for voting in elections -- but it doesn't say if a party caucus counts.

It also seems to say workers get pay compensation for these two hours.

:!:

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Derrick wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not really sold thus far on McCain being hot shit so far as military goes.

Okay he got thrown in a POW camp for a long time. While regrettable, I don't see that as showing exemplary military insight or skill. He graduated what? 3rd from last in his class? Now certainly I could be wrong (and feel free to correct me) but I don't think we're dealing with any military genius here. Looks to me like a guy getting decades of free ride off of 5.5 years of total shit.

He's not hot shit, unless hot shit means zealot. The military is one of the few things he's consistent on, and he's consistently bad where the military is concerned, again, not dissimilar to other people who feel very strongly about something, but simply are in the wrong. See: Ron Paul, The Religious Right, Neoconservatives (McCain is one of these), the John Birch Society...

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited February 2008
    defrag wrote: »
    So, seriously, everyone I've seen in the Bay Area is all about Obama. I find it hard to believe that it's so Clinton-heavy in CA. But, then again, someone in SE++ said the Bay hasn't reported yet. :shrug:
    So-Cal, man. They're old and stupid down there.
    And they're like really, irrationally pissed off by Mexicans, which they somehow turn into a whole slew of other retarded political ideas.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There, I just donated $49 to Barack Obama, and signed up to volunteer if they need me (which I doubt; I live in Obama country). I don't want to hear it, assholes. I did my part.

You think so, Than? I'm hearing more Hillary rumblings lately than I'm entirely comfortable with.

I figure I might be able to win over a few caucusites (?) by mentioning Obama's plan for a Government CTO. People around here should LOVE that idea.

Houn on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah guys, let's consider:

If someone had posted a week ago even that Obama would win a majority of the states, maybe even 14, and would be at worst a small number of delegates ahead after Super Tuesday we would have told them to shut up and stop jinxing our candidate.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Maybe Californians aren't entirely stupid. At least the Indian gaming contracts look to be going through, and the other ballot measures are being turned down, like I was hoping. There may be hope yet.

Dalboz on
  • Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Quite possible, one thinks the earth is less than 10,000 years old and the other is from a sect little understood by anyone outside of it.
    Haha, I didn't know he was a young earth creationist. Yeah, that makes sense, even my dad thinks they're nuts. The insistence on the damn Chuck Norris thing didn't help either.

What you guys said makes sense, I just find it funny that he's gained so much support so rapidly. But with any luck, the anger of his nomination will cause Rush and Ann Coulter to have heart attacks.

Ghandi 2 on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    People are depressed because they expected Obama to smash Hillary's face in with the Hammer of Thor.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen. We'll have to settle for a slim delegate win.

Hoz on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What the fuck are you talking about? Electability shouldn't influence your vote at all in a general election. There are two viable candidates - you pick the one who you think would be the best President.

Unless you have some kind of compulsion to vote for a winner, I don't see what you get out of voting for McCain.
    I'm not saying I would vote for McCain, I'm saying that if you put McCain v. Hilary in a general election, even after 8 years of one of the most unpopular Republican presidents in the history of the United States, they both have an equal shot at winning the Presidency.

BUT THEN AGAIN

She seriously might be worse than McCain for our country, because seriously let's be fucking honest with ourselves -- outside of the hard fought party politics -- Hilary really isn't that much fucking better than John McCain as a candidate for the President of the USA. Both bring a certain amount to the table, and neither are very desirable to me.

You'll have to do some fucking convincing if you seriously want me to believe that Hilary, as President, would be night and day with John McCain.

This is need to think about. McCain Clinton I've got a hard choice but I think I take Clinton

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

This is definitely true.

I don't think she's "terrible", but you could certainly make the argument.
    BUT THEN AGAIN

She's a Democrat. It really is that simple.

Think of it in terms of "default" preferences. McCain is definitely left of the center of the Republican Party. But his unusual positions which earn him that "maverick" distinction are notable because they are unusual. Most of his preferences are along Republican party lines (pro-life, pro-war, etc.).

Hillary might be a little right of center in the Democratic Party. But she still sticks with the party on most issues (war excepted). That means she's a better candidate than McCain is.

Matrijs on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    People are depressed because they expected Obama to smash Hillary's face in with the Hammer of Thor.

That's a beautiful image, thank you.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Alabama is more in touch with the political winds than motherfucking California. I'll be damned if I ever I thought that I'd say something like that. :|

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

What are you basing this on? Have you read anything I've written? Are you disagreeing with me with some kind of analytical backing? Because this seems patently false.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    CNN's headline is back to: "McCain is front-runner; Dems' race not settled"

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited February 2008

Think of it in terms of "default" preferences. McCain is definitely left of the center of the Republican Party. But his unusual positions which earn him that "maverick" distinction are notable because they are unusual. Most of his preferences are along Republican party lines (pro-life, pro-war, etc.).

Hillary might be a little right of center in the Democratic Party. But she still sticks with the party on most issues (war excepted). That means she's a better candidate than McCain is.
    McCain = supported campaign finance reform.

Hilary = politics as motherfucking usual, with her husband's political machine still in tow 8 years down the line.

Personally? If it wasn't for the non-white male thing, I would lean towards McCain on that alone, because campaign finance reform is that important to me. Oh, add in the fact that Hilary is a lying, opportunistic, unprincipled bitch on the war, and the decision becomes that much clearer.

AND MIND YOU I'M A BLEEDING LEFTIST

but now that we know McCain is the Republican candidate, I can't imagine a worse opponent to put forth from the Dems than Hilary. I'd rather have Edwards against McCain. I'd rather have Al Sharpton. I'd rather have Dennis fucking Kucinich.

And your "she's a democrait, it's that simple" just shows how blindly partisan you are in this debate. If Hilary goes forward in the general, America is in trouble. Period.

And I'm still going to vote for her.

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you're not thinking Supreme Court in this election you're crazy.

Just think about all the crazy shit the neo-cons want to stuff down our throat being ruled *A-OK!* for as long as we're alive, and regressing in massive ways in civil and reproductive rights.

Then think about how fuck-awesome the neo-cons have been at appointing people during this administration. Look forward to those people staying around and more idiots added to the pile.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd just like to point out that on like page 25, someone asked the length of this thread by 11:59pm. I guessed 81. The first post on page 80 is at 12am. I want a god damn cookie.

jotate on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why are you voting for her?

You haven't been clear to me on that regard.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm looking at the states ahead and they seems like ones Obama would have an edge in. Although, I'm not sure about Ohio, Texas, and Pennsylvania. But, considering his fund raising advantage and the momentum he could build by the time those three come, he could get them also.

Hoz on
    edited February 2008

McCain = supported campaign finance reform.

Hilary = politics as motherfucking usual, with her husband's political machine still in tow 8 years down the line.

Personally? If it wasn't for the non-white male thing, I would lean towards McCain on that alone, because campaign finance reform is that important to me. Oh, add in the fact that Hilary is a lying, opportunistic, unprincipled bitch on the war, and the decision becomes that much clearer.

See, this is what I'm talking about. You say Hillary is unprincipled on the war. The implication is that McCain is somehow better by being principled, when his principles are dead wrong. This is Kerry/Bush all over again, and you're making the argument for Bush. Cut it out.
    AND MIND YOU I'M A BLEEDING LEFTIST

but now that we know McCain is the Republican candidate, I can't imagine a worse opponent to put forth from the Dems than Hilary. I'd rather have Edwards against McCain. I'd rather have Al Sharpton. I'd rather have Dennis fucking Kucinich.

And your "she's a democrait, it's that simple" just shows how blindly partisan you are in this debate. If Hilary goes forward in the general, America is in trouble. Period.

And I'm still going to vote for her.

I may be partisan, but I'm not blindly partisan. I recognize that the Democrats are right on the issues much more often than the Republicans (or at least that I agree with them much more often). That means that the Democratic nominee is, by default, a better candidate than the Republican nominee. It would take a hell of a lot to convince me to vote for a Republican, not the other way around.

Matrijs on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guys, Obama himself (not really) just sent this to my Facebook.
    Results
    From Barack Obama
    1:15am Today
    The votes will be counted into the night and into tomorrow, but today we won states and we won delegates in every part of the country.

As of right now, we have won more states and delegates than Senator Clinton. It's a remarkable achievement we can all be proud of.

Tonight, we know one thing for sure -- our time has come, our movement is real, and change is coming to America.

At this moment in history, the stakes are too high and the challenges too great to play the same Washington game with the same Washington players and expect a different result.

This time must be different.

There will be those who say it cannot be done. But we know what we have seen and what we believe -- that when ordinary people come together we can still do extraordinary things.

Yes, we can.

Thank you so much,

Barack

:cry:

UnbreakableVow on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    cali-

53-36

with 27% reporting. In the last 10% it has narrowed from 23- 17.

And I was just inspired by this thread to donate to the obama capaign as well. Look at me, getting into politics. Im growing up so fast.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    edited February 2008
    I will deliver Ohio. There have been others that have guaranteed Texas. Will and Shinto can drive over to Pennsylvania and make up for their epic failings in their respective states.

jotate on
  • dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    16% with 29% reporting now.

San Francisco still not in.

This may end up significantly closer than it originally looked.

EDIT: And Obama campaign just got some more of my paycheck. Every bit of financial advantage over the next month is going to count.

dopplex on
    edited February 2008
    Tonight wasn't a victory for either Hillary or Obama. No one is better off than they were after SC.

Look, this thing is going to come down to the supporters. If Obama supporters start shouting doom and gloom tonight then we've lost. We're suppose to be a movement. And the only way we can continue to be a movement is if we don't focus on today, but tomorrow. We have 3 primaries coming up this Saturday, and even if you live in a state that has already gone by, we can still make a difference. I know that it may be hard to put all the super Tuesday hype behind us, but that's all it was, hype. Nothing got decided today. Obama is still in the race, and WE still have a real chance to win this.

We have Louisiana, Washington, and Nebraska to look towards. After that Maine. Then DC, Maryland and Virginia. All within 4 days of eachother. In four days we have more too look forward to. So in the meantime we need to get ourselves back out there. We need to continue to spread our message, continue to show the United States that our views on politics are just as viable as the old view. That we can win, we won't give up, and we won't let bumps in the road run us off course.

We still are needed to pull this thing off. Can we do it? Yes we can!

superobama.jpg

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • imperial6imperial6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    imperial6 wrote: »
    Alright, fuck it. I can't help this contagious hope stuff consuming me. Predictions:

Obama wins (13):

Illinois
    Georgia
    Connecticut
    Minnesota
    Alabama
    Colorado
    New Mexico
    Utah
    Kansas
    Delaware
    Alaska
    Idaho
    North Dakota

Clinton wins (9):
    New York
    Arkansas
    Tennessee
    Massachusetts
    New Jersey
    Oklahoma
    Missouri
    Arizona
    California

Delegates: Clinton +50

Media declares: Tie! (but now it's dubbed Obama's race to lose, he is the frontrunner.)

Damn I'm good...looks like all I missed was Missouri, and that I was actually too pessimistic on. Great night for Obama...this was my "hopeful" prediction, and we got it!

imperial6 on
    edited February 2008
    Oh, and look, California is looking like it might be closer than we thought.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
    edited February 2008
    Damn I'm good...looks like all I missed was Missouri, and that I was actually too pessimistic on. Great night for Obama...this was my "hopeful" prediction, and we got it!

And NM.

jotate on
    edited February 2008
    jotate wrote: »

And NM.

New Mexico is tied with 38% of the vote in. He's not wrong yet.

Matrijs on
    edited February 2008

What are you basing this on? Have you read anything I've written? Are you disagreeing with me with some kind of analytical backing? Because this seems patently false.
    I'm basing this on the fact that all of my life minus 8 years have been lived under a Republican candidate, and somehow we're still where we're at today.

SO ALL THIS "at least she's Democrat" shit is fucking bullshit.

She's a nobody. The country is going to continue on the same path whether her, the right-leaning Democrat, or McCain, the left-leaning Republican (who pinned a huge portion of his career on campaign finance reform, which for politicians is the equivalent of being a priest who suddenly tells nuns they need to start having sex) achieve office.

If she wins the nomination, I will dutifully vote for her, and subsequently watch my country go down the crapper once again, unless she names Bill Cinton VP, and then gives him Dick Cheney privileges right after.

edited February 2008
    jotate wrote: »

And NM.

New Mexico is tied with 38% of the vote in. He's not wrong yet.

Ah, fuck me, I clicked Arizona on the map. Haha, geography is hard.

jotate on
This discussion has been closed.