As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Slang - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

124»

• Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Were there a lot of Czech pirates?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    LexicographerLexicographer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Enough that the word caught on. It's really more of a sailor slang than straight pirate slang. Making a living as a sailor was fairly attractive back in the day. The money was good and a lot more reliable than many other industries and trades. Besides, would you rather be at sea or in Czechoslovakia?

Lexicographer on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    nosnibor wrote: »
    Edit: I also love seeing non-country people use "cowboy up."

I'm not country, but I totally use it all the time. It's mainly because my mom does, though, and she grew up on a ranch, so she's allowed.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Anyway, I can't prove it that "Ahoy" and "ahoj" are one in the same, they just sound the same and have the same meaning.

Lexicographer on
  • Options
    MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm really surpised to hear that somone else knows what "flippin' a biotch" is, b/c i've used it on a lot of people and they pretty much have no idea what i'm talking about. If a day does come when i say it to a friend and they perform a u turn, i would be a happy person.

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Murago wrote: »
    I'm really surpised to hear that somone else knows what "flippin' a biotch" is, b/c i've used it on a lot of people and they pretty much have no idea what i'm talking about. If a day does come when i say it to a friend and they perform a u turn, i would be a happy person.
    o_O

People don't know what "flipping a bitch" is?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My friends and I use "flipping a bitch" now and then. It's a pretty common phrase around here.

Lexicographer on
  • Options
    nosnibornosnibor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hear "flipping a bitch" all the time. Maybe it's a WA state thing.

nosnibor on
    When you're a spy, it's a good idea to give away your trade secrets in a voiceover on a TV show.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Definitely heard it in California.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I know what "flipping a bitch" is but my friends don't really use it. In fact, I don't think it really gets used at all around here. I mostly hear people say "hook a 'U'"

also "turn around"

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Faggy Toes wrote: »

Definitely heard it here on the East Coast.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Here's a weird one:
    When I went to school in the ghetto of MD (You think I'm joking...), kids would say all sorts of stuff. Some didn't make sense (This was 2002-2003).
    One that always stuck out to me calling someone a "Bama", pronounced "Bam-ah". It was like calling some one stupid. I heard it all the time, but I just didn't get it.
    Anyone heard of this one?

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    I suppose that woot and pwned are appropriate in certain contexts. My stepbrother says pwned about everything though. He once said to my mom that the meal she cooked for dinner pwned. Seriously.
    Does he ever want to get laid? By men or women? Cause, that ain't gonna work out. I was out with a dude once who said, and I quote, "wow, ROFL at that, hunh?" He was never my wingman again.
    MrMister wrote: »
    I totally say stoked. What's wrong with being stoked? Man, when I got my bottle of Absinthe I was so stoked to drink it.
    I've never figured out how to enjoy absinthe. I tried this kind with two cat eyes on it. Don't even remember the brand, just the eyes. It was VILE. Maybe I wasn't "doing it right", but... damn. And I'm used to strong alcohol. I drink bourbon, scotch, vodka, rum, and gin straight... all the time. I can even stomach everclear straight.
    Duki wrote: »
    I mean if I were to go up to you with a cockney accent and say "Fancy a hail mary at the cobblers"
    That's a bad habit and your penis may fall off.

GungHo on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I answer my phone "Ahoy.", is that a proper word or is it pirate-slang? I don't care either way, it's not going to stop being fun.

I answer mine "Yhello?" like Homer does in a few episodes of The Simpsons. Can't remember why I started it anymore, but I've been doing it for ages.

Also "flippin' a bitch" is something I've never heard before in my life. Sounds like something you'd do in bed.

shryke on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I simultaneously use a bit of street slang while also looking down harshly on dumb wigger chumps that think they're hot shit

It comes to me naturally when I'm hanging out with certain friends of mine, the cooler set, and when I'm like, say, here online, I don't even remember the lingo unless someone else busts it out

I have a situational liguistic arsenal I guess

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've co-opted Beef Speech (http://www.achewood.com). Where a person would normally say hella, I choose "heck of", even though none of the people I know read Achewood.

I have a friend who calls making a u-turn "whipping a shitty". I have no idea where it came from.

Also, while not necessarily slang, conversations between my best friend and I usually begin in a standard form of <greeting>, you <vilest homophobic insult you can think of>. We're not homophobes, we're basically just trying to top each other. I called him a cock-socket, he called me a glans-dribbling cock-climber. (I think he won).

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I take slang off the forums

abloo bloo bloo is pretty fun

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Abloo bloo bloo just doesn't seem as effective when said out loud. You'd think it'd be more effective, but really you just come off as even more of a raging asshole.

I use "dude" all the time, but not in a Keanu Reeves or surfer guy way.

I've heard of flipping a bitch. I like whipping a shitty better, though.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Abloo bloo bloo just doesn't seem as effective when said out loud. You'd think it'd be more effective, but really you just come off as even more of a raging asshole.

I use "dude" all the time, but not in a Keanu Reeves or surfer guy way.

I've heard of flipping a bitch. I like whipping a shitty better, though.

I thought the exact same thing. Visually it conveys its message so well... but aurally it sort of falls short.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    MandaristaMandarista Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I answer my phone "Ahoy.", is that a proper word or is it pirate-slang? I don't care either way, it's not going to stop being fun.
    I usually answer my phone with "Chico's tacos".
    Does that count as slang, or is it just being obnoxious?

I've also been known to answer my phone with "Wet Jimmy's Gourmet Assmeats. Do this be pick up or Delivery?" and "Jorge's house of pleasures. How may I serve you?".

It's fun to mess with people's heads like that. :P

Oh yeah.... Slang.... OT.
    I've actually found that using big words gets you more stares and dirty looks - from younger people anyways - where I live.
    It's kind of sad really, when using a word like "colloquially" in a sentence will make people think you're an ass more than saying something as ridiculous as "a'ight bro".
    Or maybe "bra"?

Just out of curiosity.... Why on earth do so many people pronounce "bro" as "bra"?
    It's bad enough when people resort to slang for some sort of unwillingness or inability to pronounce real words.
    But to even pronounce the "wrong" words wrong?
    That one just baffles me. :lol:

Mandarista on
    Screw Frodo..... TASSLEHOFF LIVES!
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It's funny, because with things like saying "woot", the girls I hang out with actually pick up on it and start saying it, haha. A lot of my slang gets picked up by other people that I spend a lot of time with.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    River TamRiver Tam Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Here's a weird one:
    When I went to school in the ghetto of MD (You think I'm joking...), kids would say all sorts of stuff. Some didn't make sense (This was 2002-2003).
    One that always stuck out to me calling someone a "Bama", pronounced "Bam-ah". It was like calling some one stupid. I heard it all the time, but I just didn't get it.
    Anyone heard of this one?

I went to school in very non-ghetto MD and heard that all the time. It was like calling someone unstylish, though, not stupid.

River Tam on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Other gems:

"Ohnoes!"

"Mang" - used as with 'man' in a Tony Montana accent. An example would be if you're dicking around and a friend has you in a headlock, you might say "Hey mang, I can't breaf" (Hey man, I can't breathe.) Usually ironic.

Thinking about it, I have a real problem with irony.

Like I'll say racist/sexist things in front of close friends, or use outlandish slang, but sometimes I forget that not everyone gets that I'm poking fun at the viewpoint I'm expressing, and will get offended when I say something like "Bitches like Hillary needs to get out of politics and back in the (kitchen and/or bedroom)."

TL DR on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I often answer my phone with "What up?" because I am an asshole. My best friend will usually hang up on me when I do that. I'm pretty sure I started using it ironically, but now I can't seem to stop.

Actually, a lot of the things I started saying ironically (a'ight, for instance) have entered my vernacular, and I end up sounding like a moron when meeting strangers. I should probably work on that.

Murphy on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Faggy Toes wrote: »
    I'm saying -- I say that shit all the time. I get kinda annoyed when I'm like "okay at this light flip a bitch" and the driver is all what? Fucking idiots.

The other one is "make a San Francisco left." I can't be the only one who says that.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fallout wrote: »
    I simultaneously use a bit of street slang while also looking down harshly on dumb wigger chumps that think they're hot shit

It comes to me naturally when I'm hanging out with certain friends of mine, the cooler set, and when I'm like, say, here online, I don't even remember the lingo unless someone else busts it out

Either that or you're a fake fucking dipshit who's afraid to come to terms with what you like and who you really are.

Personally I'm leaning toward the latter.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    celery77 wrote: »

Either that or you're a fake fucking dipshit who's afraid to come to terms with what you like and who you really are.

It's called situational audience analysis, you dick.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    celery77 wrote: »

It's called situational audience analysis, you dick.
    Or "register" -- there's a third term for it I studeied myself -- but in the end I think we all really just know that Fallout is a fake ass fucking dick.

Yeah, I cuss a little less around my bosses, but only fucking pussies make excuses for why they act scared around people who aren't their friends.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What's up in this bad larry?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Slang is like seasonings for a dish; some work well for certain dishes, and can be combined for interesting combinations, but restraint should also be shown. You wouldn't want to dump an entire bottle of nutmeg in a pie, would you?

Okay, not quite a direct comparison, but close enough.

thanimations on
  • Options
    oneeyedjack909oneeyedjack909 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I live in Wyoming USA and somewhere along the way I picked up the word bloke. As in 'He's a decent bloke'. I dropped that around work and needed buckets to catch all the shit I got for it. Fucking redneck bogers. They can suck my arse with a straw. haha I love the English slang I've picked up in these forums.

Also I throw around 'salty' a lot. As in 'He is a salty fellow' and 'She came in here all salted up' in referance to them being grumpy but not quite to that dickhead stage.

oneeyedjack909 on
    "A mans first duty is to his conscience and honor"- Mark Twain

"Those who are willing to give up essential liberties for a little safety diserve neither liberty nor safety"-Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I find im fond of word fusions.... I think this started with Ginormous which I no longer use but many more still litter my language. For example Excisely, Pathetisad, and asstastic.

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    SwitchbladeSwitchblade Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How about "prezactly"?

Slang is the little detail around the edges that personalizes your speech. I reckon it should be used, but what you use and how is a personal choice that's probably, in part, defined by your social circle and what the people around you use.

examples I use: "I'm down with/for that", "Owned", "Sweet", "Vagoo" and "wang"

Switchblade on
    When God gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD!!!!
  • Options
    SpecularitySpecularity Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Here in Nebraska, land of General American English, we usually say, "Make a U-turn." Boring? Maybe. Miss the turn? Rarely.

Specularity on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    being a floridian, i say y'all a lot

but i don't really say it like a hillbilly or anything so i don't mind saying it

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png