As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Black screen

UncleChetUncleChet N00bLancaster, PARegistered User regular
Help! I tried to help a friend by cleaning up spyware and junk off of his PC. He had NVidia display drivers installed, but I didn't realize he had an Nvidia card installed so I uninstalled them. This resorted the display to VGA. The system let me move the display settings up to omghuge like 1580/1220 or something sick like that. THis is on a 15" LCD. I can't get in to reset his display settings. I can boot into safe mode and work normally there, and I tried reinstalling the driver in safe mode and it appeared to work, and even was installing "plug and play monitor" when I left. It's now stuck at the black screen and I have no idea how to fix it. I haven't tried any of the other PC log ins to see if this issue is with all of them, or just the one I messed up. How can I fix this for him?

Thanks in advance!

I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
UncleChet on

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Un-install all the drivers again, clear everything from the registry, search for all nvidia folders and kill them. If you dont feel comfortable in the registry drivercleaner.net. It has never done me wrong, run it with the appropriate filters. Once it is done, boot up in VGA mode and see what happens.

Aretè on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    He had NVidia display drivers installed, but I didn't realize he had an Nvidia card installed
    :|

Azio on
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    He had NVidia display drivers installed, but I didn't realize he had an Nvidia card installed
    :|

I know this makes me sound stupid but the guy's almost 60 and has a young drunkard living with him who has been known to do random stuff like this before.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.