As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Improving math skills

langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm finishing up my last year of service in the military this year, and facing the prospect of returning to college when I get out. Prior to joining the military I was working toward a degree in Computer Science, and would like to continue that or possibly switch over to Computer Engineering.

Before I ran out of money and had to leave school, I had finished a fair number of prerequisites. I'm not too worried about the programming courses (I only have one left), but I'm a bit nervous about the math prerequisites. I have completed coursework up to the first year of calculus, and so next up is multivariable calc.

The thing is, I last took a math class, Calculus II, in 2003. It will be 2009 when I'm finally able to return to school. My critical thinking skills in general and my math skills in particular have since degraded from lack of use.

What can I do to strengthen them again? Should I just pick up a text from the library and start chugging through problems, or is there a more elegant method? I've never been a strong mathematician, so my success has always stemmed from effort and a lot of practice/studying.

langfor6 on

• Options
    SlainbylichSlainbylich Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Practice tends to make perfect, or close enough at least. You have the groundwork, its just been a while, but I would imagine that once you start practicing again it will come back to you. I can't offer you an elegant way to get back into practice, but going with your idea of chugging through problems couldn't hurt any. Have you tried looking online for some free resources in (re)learning the level of math you will need?

Edit: For clarity.

Slainbylich on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Go get a college geometry book that's based on Euclid's elements. If you prove all the theorems you'll develop your critical thinking super fast, and learn a lot!

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Computer Science Math is not the same as Engineering Math or Math Math. For example, calculus is nearly worthless in CS, but things like combinatorics, linear algebra, Boolean algebra, group theory, and so on are very useful. See what math classes you would actually have to take before you start trying to wade through differential equations.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    At my school the basic math curriculum is essentially identical for Comp Sci/Comp Eng, which are the two programs I'm considering. They are both in the School of Engineering as well, so this may have something to do with it.

I'll have to take multivariable, diff. eq, linear algebra, and finite mathematics. I also have to take a second semester of engineering physics (thermodynamics I think?), but that's neither here nor there.

What I'm really worried about is getting back up to snuff so I can handle all those classes. In other words, I'm looking at everything from College Algebra to Geomtery, Trig, and first year Calculus. That's what I've covered so far, so that's really what I need a good strong review on. Basically I need to reestablish my foundation so that I can adequately handle the upcoming courses. I might have a look at math.com, but I don't know if that covers my level.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I took a year break between Calc I and Calc II, which obviously is not as bad as six years, but I still picked it up again faster than I thought I would.

I would say reviewing a text is probably the best thing you can do. Flip through and see what concepts you remember, do some problems, and read more thoroughly about things you don't remember.

Actually, for Calc specifically I can recommend How to Ace Calculus: The Streetwise Guide and How to Ace the Rest of Calculus: The Streetwise Guide. Although they have little to no problems for you to try yourself (there's usually an example for each concept and that's it), they did a great job of helping me review the concepts, and you can always pick up a textbook to supplement them with practice problems, too. Plus, they've got a little light humor to try and hold your interest. You probably won't be cracking up, but it's better than a textbook, at least. :P

On the plus side, I think forgetting how to take a simple derivative is near impossible. Maybe you've forgotten the limits, etc., behind it, but if you remember the basics, everything else should come back to you much easier than it did the first time.

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I guess I'll just go with the textbook approach and check the library for those Street Calculus books (street calc, heh).

I can still bang out simple derivatives, but a lot of integration eludes me now. Calc book here I come. *sigh*

Edit: Those calc books received excellent reviews on Amazon and they're pretty cheap. Maybe I'll just plunk down the cash.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The important part of Calc 2, at least the way I took it, was sequences and series. Especially Taylor/Maclaurin polynomials. That stuff is important, especially if you are going to be taking complex algebra or numerical analysis. Other than that just remember how to do integration by parts, u-substitution and, most importantly of all, learn how to use an integral table.

Boutros on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If multi variable algebra (which I assume is what is called linear algebra here) is what you are going to do, do yourself a favour and brush up on vectors, differentiation and integration. Especially vectors.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.