Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Alcohol Thread

• QuelrethQuelreth Registered User
    edited January 2006
    Cycophant wrote:
    Comahawk wrote:
    Try more Whiskey.

Crown is low quality.

Any suggestions? Because I'm in agreement with Weaver on this one - I've tried a few various brands, and Crown Royal is still my favorite. I'm not saying it's necessarily the best; I could easily pick out something for twice the price that would technically be better, but I still prefer it over the few others I've tried. But I'm always looking to expand my alcoholic palette, as it were.

I can't really say about straight whiskey, but as far as bourbon goes, Maker's Mark is good and probably in the same price range. I've heard good things about Knob Creek as well but I haven't tried it yet.

• MoriartyMoriarty __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2006
    Weaver wrote:
    Can't. I get very violent when I drink more than two or three shots of whiskey in a night.
    same.

also, i just took a shot of that yukon jack liqueur.

nice and smooth. wouldn't even know it was 100 proof.

will suck dick for shock images and videos
  • Food?Food? Registered User
    edited January 2006
    Okay, so I've been told that vodka isn't for shots. However, I hate the taste of beer (at least, the Corona's that my friends always buy as well as MGD), and since they almost always get a fifth of vodka (usually Bacardi O or Absolut), I just take shots, since I'd rather just have to deal with a much smaller amount of bad taste toe get just as drunk. Are there any alcoholic drinks that actually taste good?

I've also tried screwdrivers and I once mixed vodka with some Jones green apple soda, but the alcohol still made it taste like shit.

(I'm still new to this, obviously).

gr_smile2.gif
    edited January 2006
    Food? wrote:
    Okay, so I've been told that vodka isn't for shots. However, I hate the taste of beer (at least, the Corona's that my friends always buy as well as MGD), and since they almost always get a fifth of vodka (usually Bacardi O or Absolut), I just take shots, since I'd rather just have to deal with a much smaller amount of bad taste toe get just as drunk. Are there any alcoholic drinks that actually taste good?

I've also tried screwdrivers and I once mixed vodka with some Jones green apple soda, but the alcohol still made it taste like shit.

Make a screwdriver with more orange juice and less vodka. It's not like it has to be 1:1 or something, make it how you want.

Whoever said vodka isn't for shots was a liar, especially talking about Bacardi O and Absolut (And anyways, Bacardi O ain't vodka). The only stuff I've found enjoyable to just sip straight is Grey Goose. I still preferred Ketel One either as a shot or mixed.

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Fun Fact: Its estimated that a standard, fully stocked bar, can make 17million different drinks and cocktails. :shock:

• Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Hey there, I've recently just started drinking.

I hate the taste of beer, and the only other drink I had alot of exposure to was vodka. I'm talking some cheap vodka that tasted like shit. I mixed it with OJ whenever we drank.

Then one day we went out and I met a bunch of Airforce College kids and I had a fuck load of shots of Southern Comfort.

I loved the taste of it. It was glorious. It tasted like NyQuil I swear.
    It was the most alchohol I've ever had and I still hadn't gotten the slightest hang over.
    I'd love to grab some more of this but I'd rather take some reccomendations on anything like it etc.

• WeaverWeaver send help pirates have meRegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Ok people, All of you that buy from your local liquor stores, ask if they have soju.

If they do, try it. It's less than $6 a bottle, usually around $5.80 or so. Awesome stuff. Tell me what you think. The best is Jinro Chamisul Soju, which coincidentally is the most popular is Asia.

ProfessionalandCommander_zps6c326307.jpg
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Food? wrote:

You should try Rye (depending on where you are... I dunno how easy this is to get. Really common in Canada) and gingerale. Make sure to have some ice, throw in a slice of lime if you like for added flavour, and enjoy. You can barely taste the alcohol at all. Course, doesn't use any vodka like you said your friends buy, but just tell them to pick you up some rye.

edit: you could prolly substitute any whiskey for rye, since rye is just whiskey made with different grains.

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Quelreth wrote:
    Food? wrote:

Make a screwdriver with more orange juice and less vodka. It's not like it has to be 1:1 or something, make it how you want.

Whoever said vodka isn't for shots was a liar, especially talking about Bacardi O and Absolut (And anyways, Bacardi O ain't vodka). The only stuff I've found enjoyable to just sip straight is Grey Goose. I still preferred Ketel One either as a shot or mixed.

Yeah Vodka is totally for shots. I second the less Vodka in your screwdriver thing. There's no reason to put to much alc in you mixes because it just tastes like shit and you might as well drink it pure then. Just put in like maybe a shot glass of vodka with your orange juice or coke or whatever. You can still drink a ton of them if you like, but they'll taste alot better.

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Cycophant wrote:
    Comahawk wrote:
    Try more Whiskey.

Crown is low quality.

Any suggestions? Because I'm in agreement with Weaver on this one - I've tried a few various brands, and Crown Royal is still my favorite. I'm not saying it's necessarily the best; I could easily pick out something for twice the price that would technically be better, but I still prefer it over the few others I've tried. But I'm always looking to expand my alcoholic palette, as it were.

You should be able to get Centennial, it's in a wine bottle, VERY smooth whiskey... Not exactly a true whiskey I don't think, but Jamesons is also amazing, I was drinking it striaght with little difficulty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Then one day we went out and I met a bunch of Airforce College kids and I had a fuck load of shots of Southern Comfort.

I loved the taste of it. It was glorious. It tasted like NyQuil I swear.
    It was the most alchohol I've ever had and I still hadn't gotten the slightest hang over.
    I'd love to grab some more of this but I'd rather take some reccomendations on anything like it etc.

I've not tasted anything quite like Southern Comfort.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, though. SC is perhaps the only alcohol I truly enjoy the taste of neat - it's terribly sweet, and I've never been drunk on it either, despite drinking hideous amounts before!

Anyway, I'd like to say that if you ever have a bottle of cheap alcohol - especially wine - that you're not keen on drinking but would like to get rid of before it grows too old, there are so many cooking recipes that you could add it too. Amaretto also makes for excellent truffles.

Also, any people have advice on good sherries and ports? I'm rather fond of Warre's Warrior port, and I can only remember the name of one sherry I've drunk - Bristol Cream.

Is there any difference between the Smirnoff vodka sold in the UK and the Smirnoff sold in the US? Because over here it's typically more expensive, than other vodkas such as Absolut and Imperial, and it generally seems to be held in higher regard.

sharasugar_80.png sharanomsugar_80.png
  • TokyoRaverTokyoRaver Registered User
    edited January 2006
    Weaver wrote:
    Ok people, All of you that buy from your local liquor stores, ask if they have soju.

If they do, try it. It's less than $6 a bottle, usually around $5.80 or so. Awesome stuff. Tell me what you think. The best is Jinro Chamisul Soju, which coincidentally is the most popular is Asia.

Ugh, this is personal preference for sure.

I HATE Soju.

I also hate Sake, so whatever.

logo_phpBB.gif
    edited January 2006
    Janson wrote:
    Is there any difference between the Smirnoff vodka sold in the UK and the Smirnoff sold in the US? Because over here it's typically more expensive, than other vodkas such as Absolut and Imperial, and it generally seems to be held in higher regard.

HAH! No, Smirnoff is pretty commonly regarded as being the generic shit vodka it is in the US, even though recent commercials will try to mislead by saying the NY Times picked it as vodka of the year or something. I think the price hovers around $10-15 for a bottle, with Absolut closer to $20.

All the soju I've tried has been some of the easiest stuff to drink I've ever had. Maybe that's because I had Korean roommates who knew what to get (Doubt it, I'm thinking they got what's cheap) or the lower alcohol content, I don't know. To me it tasted more like water with an alcoholic aftertaste than anything else. Oddly enough, one of my roommates said he could drink vodka easier than soju, so I don't know what that means.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Quelreth wrote:
    Janson wrote:

HAH! No, Smirnoff is pretty commonly regarded as being the generic shit vodka it is in the US, even though recent commercials will try to mislead by saying the NY Times picked it as vodka of the year or something. I think the price hovers around $10-15 for a bottle, with Absolut closer to $20.

Yes, but in the UK as well? I mean, many alcohols get brewed/distilled locally, so they do occasionally vary from region to region. I mean, a bottle of Smirnoff here would set me back closer to $25-28, whereas the Absolut is still around $20.

sharasugar_80.png sharanomsugar_80.png
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2006
    I got a Pravda Tasting Kit for Christmas that I've yet to crack open. I may take a bit tonight, so I will post when I get impressions of it. I'm not a huge fan of vodka or anything, but it's got me interested.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Janson wrote:
    Quelreth wrote:
    Janson wrote:

Yes, but in the UK as well? I mean, many alcohols get brewed/distilled locally, so they do occasionally vary from region to region. I mean, a bottle of Smirnoff here would set me back closer to $25-28, whereas the Absolut is still around $20.

I have to say, I'm quite fond of Smirnoff Black label. It's definitely smoother than the Red label, which is pretty rough. Absolut I've never really liked, especially the flavoured versions.

I can find the Black label for the equivalent of about $30 a bottle, Red is about $25. I've never seen Absolut for less than Smirnoff Red.

All the Smirnoff I've seen is produced in the UK, even the Black.

edited January 2006
    japan wrote:
    Janson wrote:
    Quelreth wrote:
    Janson wrote:

I have to say, I'm quite fond of Smirnoff Black label. It's definitely smoother than the Red label, which is pretty rough. Absolut I've never really liked, especially the flavoured versions.

I can find the Black label for the equivalent of about $30 a bottle, Red is about $25. I've never seen Absolut for less than Smirnoff Red.

All the Smirnoff I've seen is produced in the UK, even the Black.

Maybe you guys get the good stuff. Or you guys just have broken tastebuds and it sells well enough that they can charge that much.

All I know is Smirnoff in the US is crap.

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Food? wrote:

White Russians, Food.

Shot of vodka, shot and a half of kahlua, ice, and milk or half and half (or chocolate milk if you are just a big doofy kid inside)

"Maybe we're here to eat the sandwich." -- Joe Rogan
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Food? wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of mixing vodka and carbonation, personally. I usually use gin with carbonation.

Anyhow, there are so many different alcohols, and so many different ways to mix them, that there is something out there that you will enjoy. There is something for everyone, but everyone's tastes are different.

If you don't like the taste of vodka, try a gin and tonic. Try tequila. Try a margarita, try a fuzzy navel, try a sex on the beach... Just keep trying things. It's hard to say what will make you sit up and say "oh, this is great!" but it'll be something. Find a friend who knows alcohol, and knows some cocktails. Have him give you stuff to try.

• DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Anyone else here like to drink skyy, or am I the only one? I think it goes down pretty smooth, and it tastes pretty decent as well.

parabol
    nin_new2.gif
  • InsanityIncInsanityInc Registered User
    edited January 2006
    Demerdar wrote:
    Anyone else here like to drink skyy, or am I the only one? I think it goes down pretty smooth, and it tastes pretty decent as well.

Probably everyone else with a broken tongue. Skyy is about the same as smirnoff, possibly even lower quality.

Martman wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Would you be pissed if your children did not love you, because they thought they were the ones being rational?
    Not if I hid from my children and beat them occasionally.
    edited January 2006
    Demerdar wrote:
    Not generally. I'll use it for a mixer, and it's not my favorite vodka to use as a mixer, either.

Have you tried many other vodkas? Svenka is priced about the same as Skyy, I think, and I'd say it's of higher quality. Frïs, which I always recommend, is of substantially higher quality, and only a little more expensive.

Then again, you might just like the taste of "shitty" vodka. Nothing wrong with that (well, other than the nasty hangovers when you overindulge).

• Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Amigu wrote:
    Yeah Vodka is totally for shots. I second the less Vodka in your screwdriver thing. There's no reason to put to much alc in you mixes because it just tastes like shit and you might as well drink it pure then. Just put in like maybe a shot glass of vodka with your orange juice or coke or whatever. You can still drink a ton of them if you like, but they'll taste alot better.
    Yeah, cranberry is always great for vodka mixers. You can usually manage about 3 shots before it tastes like shit, so at least the turnaround is pretty good for amounts of liqour in a mix. Oddly enough, there's some sort of flavored fruity water you can buy that mixes amazingly well with vodka. The fruit flavored concentration is so high that you can't taste a thing in it.

"Famished dogs follow slowly as my own paws drag me to a dock, / to the last plank where I struggle to deny myself the path that every Pisces craves, /
    ... and I cough for every crater that I could see, / on the surface of that coffin we've come to call the moon." Circle Takes the Square
  • InsanityIncInsanityInc Registered User
    edited January 2006
    Dyrwen66 wrote:
    Yeah, cranberry is always great for vodka mixers. You can usually manage about 3 shots before it tastes like shit, so at least the turnaround is pretty good for amounts of liqour in a mix. Oddly enough, there's some sort of flavored fruity water you can buy that mixes amazingly well with vodka. The fruit flavored concentration is so high that you can't taste a thing in it.

Roseinfusions_three_bottlesWeb.jpg

Those? They work exceptionally well. You mix them ~1:1 with vodka, and even with shit ass vodka you can't taste the liquor at all.

Martman wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    Would you be pissed if your children did not love you, because they thought they were the ones being rational?
    Not if I hid from my children and beat them occasionally.
  • spukeesanspukeesan Registered User
    edited January 2006
    Here's one for y'all: Is whisky meant to be served from the freezer, the fridge, or at room temperature? I'm sure different people have different tastes, but like most alcohols, there must be a standard written somewhere.

• Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread The fuck am I looking atRegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    spukeesan wrote:
    Here's one for y'all: Is whisky meant to be served from the freezer, the fridge, or at room temperature? I'm sure different people have different tastes, but like most alcohols, there must be a standard written somewhere.
    Room temp. Many various drinks will then chill it in various ways, but it's generally classier to keep it in a cupboard rather than the fridge.

facebook.png
    | twitter.png | 475607272.png | SteamIcon.png
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA
    edited January 2006
    spukeesan wrote:

Generally speaking, all alcohol becomes easier to drink as it is chilled. However, very few alcohols are actually chilled by tradition. Jagermeister for instance, needs to be chilled.

Whiskey from what I understand is served at room temperature, sometimes with ice. If the whiskey you own is hard to drink at room temperature, chill it.

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • edited January 2006
    So, I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, but how should I make sure I don't exceed my limit when drinking?

New Year's I was puking all over the place and couldn't eat anything at all the next day due to stomach pains. This is the second time this has happened to me now and it is not pleasant.

I seem to think I'm invincible when I'm drunk and down way to much in a short period of time halfway through the night. And the next day I can usually think back and pin-point the moment I should have stopped.

Now, how do I make sure I stop?

Don't try to talk to me like you're somebody.

You aren't shit to me.

Got that?
    edited January 2006
    Menace wrote:
    So, I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, but how should I make sure I don't exceed my limit when drinking?

New Year's I was puking all over the place and couldn't eat anything at all the next day due to stomach pains. This is the second time this has happened to me now and it is not pleasant.

I seem to think I'm invincible when I'm drunk and down way to much in a short period of time halfway through the night. And the next day I can usually think back and pin-point the moment I should have stopped.

When you hit that pin-point moment, stop. You'll have to force yourself, because when you're loaded another drink always sounds like such a great idea.

It's really trial-and-error more than anything else. Only you can tell when you've had enough (and everyone else can tell when you've had too much), and that's something that comes with experience.

facebook.png
  • Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    spukeesan wrote:
    This has already been answered, but I though I'd elaborate:

Whisk(e)y is best drunk at room temperature because chilling it removes much of the aroma (and thus, taste) from the drink. It's also why good whiskeys aren't meant to be drunk with ice, but rather straight or with a little water. (I wouldn't, and don't, worry about being so posh with my whiskey unless it's very very good.)

Also, I'm disappointed that nobody's mentioned Maker's Mark as a good bourbon yet. Mind you, there may be a good reason for that, but I quite enjoy it.

Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    edited January 2006
    Piper Dawn wrote:
    Also, I'm disappointed that nobody's mentioned Maker's Mark as a good bourbon yet. Mind you, there may be a good reason for that, but I quite enjoy it.
    Well, duh. I thought everyone knew that. ;)

facebook.png
  • Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited January 2006
    Makershot wrote:
    Piper Dawn wrote:
    The good reason, or that it's a good bourbon? It's the only bourbon I drink with any regularity -- apparently there's a different distillation process involved, which may account for my tastes -- so I'm really not sure how it stands against Wild Turkey and the like.

[edit: ctrl+f has failed me! or maybe I just forgot page 5 :oops:

Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    edited January 2006
    Makershot wrote:
    Piper Dawn wrote:
    I can't really say about straight whiskey, but as far as bourbon goes, Maker's Mark is good and probably in the same price range. I've heard good things about Knob Creek as well but I haven't tried it yet.

:(?

edited January 2006
    Piper Dawn wrote:
    Makershot wrote:
    Piper Dawn wrote:
    The good reason, or that it's a good bourbon? It's the only bourbon I drink with any regularity -- apparently there's a different distillation process involved, which may account for my tastes -- so I'm really not sure how it stands against Wild Turkey and the like.
    Good bourbon. There's not really anything such as a "different distillation process," but more attention paid to the still, and using smaller batches, always results in better quality hooch.

facebook.png
  • embrikembrik Registered User
    edited January 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    I'd was over at my cousin's house for New Year's and we had all kinds of good shit. My girlfriend and I were going to try some wine around midnight (tasted like ass) and everyone kept warning us about mixing different alcohols. I thought this was total BS but they all seemed pretty insistant about it.

So I need you guys to set me straight: Can I mix beer/wine/liquor without being horribly fucked up the next day?
    There's some truth to it, but much less than most people put to it.

If you're mixing multiple different strengths of alcohol, it's a lot easier to get much drunker than you meant to, especially if you drink the weaker stuff earlier in the night (thus, "liquor before beer, never fear; beer before liquor, never sicker). It's purely psychological, though. Provided you keep your drinking to a reasonable level, it doesn't matter what you drink first, last, or in the middle. If you do get sick, though, mixing is probably going to taste worse on the way back up. And, from what I've been told, lower-quality alcohols cause much worse hangovers (I don't generally get hangovers, and I don't drink low-quality alcohol, so I couldn't tell you).
    Along with this advice, if you stick to clear liquor, you're less likely to "feel it" the next morning. Supposedly gin/vodka, etc, are easier on you then the "brown liquors". (Can't remember why though... anyone else care to elaborate?)

"Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
    edited January 2006
    Menace wrote:

First off, don't drink on an empty stomach.

Second, between each drink, drink a glass of water. Force yourself to do this. Don't get more than one drink at a time, and always drink the water in between. Not only will it help your body handle the alcohol better, it will slow down your drinking considerably.

• wrathful cantaloupewrathful cantaloupe Registered User
    edited January 2006
    I don't believe it's been mentioned in this thread, so as vodka goes, I'd just like to endorse Jewel of Russia. Quite smooth and by far my personal favorite, though it's not a budget vodka. The really important thing, though, is that it comes in such a neat looking bottle (especially the much more expensive ultra variety :P)

edited January 2006
    edited January 2006
    Makershot wrote:
    Piper Dawn wrote:
    yeah, whatever you do dont bong Christian Brothers brandy, you wake up with a bunch of guys.....nevermind

edited January 2006
    Makershot wrote:
    Piper Dawn wrote:
    yeah, whatever you do dont bong Christian Brothers brandy, you wake up with a bunch of guys.....nevermind

Yeah that moment when you all wake up is really awkward.....