Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Alcohol Thread

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    I drink Smirnoff. I'm in college and I am poor, but I'd like to think that I am quite personal terms with the comrade.

As long as you're not convinced that it's "good".

I don't think it's good, but I don't have much to compare it with. The best vodka I ever had was this stuff from Germany or Russia (don't remember which). A kid's dad brought him back a few bottles - it was called "Das Komet".

I am in the business of saving lives.

camo_sig2.png
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2006
    If you can get Jim Beam Select(green label) you are indeed lucky. I used to find it at the NEX when I was in the Navy but here in Chandler, AZ not at all. If you know where let me know! It's great with ice or with a coke or sprite.

• spcmnspffspcmnspff Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    i don't think anyone's mentioned my personal favourite vodka called grasowka. it's got a greenish tint because of the stick of grass in every bottle. supposedly from the bison fields of poland. i don't know the scientific explanation, but, as moe might say, "grass makes it good."

and finally "desperado" brand beers. i've never seen them in canada. don't know about the states. it's beer mixed with tequila; potent, but suprisingly tasty and easy to drink.

and, just my humble opinion, but it must be said over and over again, everything else pales in comparison to absynth.

• UberwillUberwill Registered User
    edited March 2006
    It has been mentioned before, but Stoli vodka is pretty wonderful. In general the vodka coming out of Russia receives high marks from me.

Deviation: A friend of mine who live with a bunch of crrrrazy russians swears that biting into a pickle immediatly after taking a shot of vodka is a damn neat transcendent experience. Unfortunatly, I loath pickles and all thier vinagery kind. Black russian bread is good with vodka though.

Anyway, I am not a big fan of the Absoluts and Smirnoffs except for mixing. As far as the many plastic bottle vodkas out there, most of my experiences with them involve swigging them out of the bottle and screaming "Real men don't need a chaser!" at some five-foot-nothing freshman girl. What I mean to say is that anything in a plastic bottle is only good for creating memories. For whomever is not drinking it.

As far as whiskeys go, I once found a bottle of "Old Granddad Whiskey" in my room at my parents house about half full. As a college student I felt honor bound to drink it. It was pretty dang good. Other whiskey experiences have been pretty unimpressive though.

Beer. I heart beer. I play rugby though so its sort-of a prerequisit. If you are having trouble finding a beer that appeals to you, poke around until you find a place selling beer by the bottle and just pick out a random assortment. Pick whatever looks good/has a sweet label/has a good name/whatever. Go for a variety of colors and labels until you find out what you like. You may be surprised. Most likely you will find a few things that you like. I particularly endorse most things from England, an African beer called "Tusker" and anything in a growler.

A good tactic if you need to look manly with some guys you are drinking with: if the subject of beer comes up, assert that you love hoppy beers. In fact, the hoppier the better. Rattle off a few names (they shouldn't be real) and say something like, "Now that's a real man's beer." When no one else has tried them say, "Yeah, I bet you havn't." When questioned further tell them that it was microbrewed in the 9th ward of New Orleans. If you absolutly must, namedrop things like "Arrogent Bastard" and "Hopzilla" (both very good).

If you don't like beer or just don't want to drink it, just hit up any bar with a reasonably friendly bartender, chat them up, and ask them to surprise you with your drink. Alternativly, you can play what we call Russian Rullette (knowing how to spell is for chumps). Most (All) bars have a big old book, sometimes electronic, of drink recipies. Get the bartender to show it to you, close you eyes, flip to a random page and point. Order that drink. Potentially devestating to both the wallet and the tastebuds but tons of fun with a few friends.

Finally, Hypnotic, like religion, is for fools. Fools and liberals. It doesn't matter what order you drink things in. If you have problems with vomiting and stumach cramps on a regular basis you need to learn self control and pattern recognition. In my experience drinking then getting high is a terrible idea that leads to dream being shattered. With vomit. Admittedly the vomit/dream shattering may have been about to occur anyway, but I stand by my convictions.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Uberwill wrote:
    Deviation: A friend of mine who live with a bunch of crrrrazy russians swears that biting into a pickle immediatly after taking a shot of vodka is a damn neat transcendent experience. Unfortunatly, I loath pickles and all thier vinagery kind. Black russian bread is good with vodka though.
    I cannot believe I forgot to mention this.

Seriously, if you chase vodka with a dill pickle, it is delicious. It also has the added benefit of being food, so it'll help you not get drunk quite as fast. I'm a huge fan of straight vodka, but changing it up is nice sometimes, and the dill pickle thing is a great way to do it. I learned it from a guy who had been to Russia, too, and he claimed they do it all the time over there.

• Project MayhemProject Mayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Anyone care to give me some info on Rumple Minze? I'm more concerend with price, as I've tasted it, but your opinions would be nice too. (I turn 21 monday... parrrttty buuussss)

• UberwillUberwill Registered User
    edited March 2006
    I forgot to mention the Holy Grail of drink mixing sites:

http://www.webtender.com/

Seriously, folks. I love the "In my bar" function. Tell it what you have on hand and it will tell you what drinks from its database you can make. Or what you can make with one missing ingredient. Or two. And so on and so forth.

It is a wonderful thign for those nights when you have twenty dollars, some butterscotch and peach schnapps, amaretto, a bottle of kahlua and the intention of getting drunk.

For the record: a shot of butterscotch and peach schnapps is an even worse idea than it sounds.

And I don't know for sure, but the internets and my intuition tell me that Rumplemintz costs about $20 for a bottle.

• Project MayhemProject Mayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2006
    Just some advice on Rumple Minze: best peppermint schnapps ever (opinion of course). Not to sweet, and you can barely taste the alcohol. Tastes like drinking altoids, and leaves your breath minty fresh. 100 proof, so don't overdo it.

I leave it in the freezer, makes it a little thicker.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2006
    My .2 liras;
    Finally, Hypnotic, like religion, is for fools. Fools and liberals. It doesn't matter what order you drink things in.

Oh, god yes.
    Me: "Cool bottle. Make me something with it."
    Bar girl: "Here's a Superman"
    Me 5 mins later: "BLEEEAAACCCH!"

Vodka
    I actually do well by ABSOLUT; in martinis, anyway. A good lemon drop made well is pretty tasty. Definitly agree about the vodka and carbination; bad, bad, bad.

Curious to know if anyone here has had Hangar One vodaka? Comes in really tall bottles, plain, citrus, a berry too. Very hard to find in Chi-town, I think it's good.

Classy drinks?

What would you recomend for classy drinks when going out? I usually stick to martinins, but would especcialy like to try some good scotch, or maybe gin?

Excision wrote: »
    My girlfriend is going down tonight!

Steam:MichaelLC
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2006
    Classy Drinks

Go for the "Tom Collins" or whiskey in a snifter glass, but don't be a cheap ass. Anything is a rocks glass is usually pretty classy, or you could switch up the martini for a Rob Roy ( scotch whiskey ) or a perfect manhattan ( 1 1/2 whiskey wid 1/2 sweet vermouth and 1/2 dry vermouth : garnish wid a cherry flag )

Vodka
    This shit is like holy water, seriously don't be scurred.

If you want a light fruity drink with a little vodka, go for the "Pearl Harbor" ( 1 1/2 Midori + 1/2 vodka + Pineapple Juice)

But if you want something really tasty, just do Orange Juice + Pineapple Juice + 1 1/2 midori + add 3 Vodka

yum...yum...yummiest

Of course mixed drinks are teh suxors for getting hammered. So when in doubt, buy yourself some Grey goose and just drink it from the bottle straight up ...you won't taste it after a while and everyone will be your best friend - at least from your perspective.

• aliusalius Registered User
    edited June 2006
    Uberwill wrote:
    Beer. I heart beer. I play rugby though so its sort-of a prerequisit. If you are having trouble finding a beer that appeals to you, poke around until you find a place selling beer by the bottle and just pick out a random assortment. Pick whatever looks good/has a sweet label/has a good name/whatever. Go for a variety of colors and labels until you find out what you like. You may be surprised. Most likely you will find a few things that you like. I particularly endorse most things from England, an African beer called "Tusker" and anything in a growler.

Its a Kenyan lager, I drank it alot when I was over there and enjoyed it well enough. I always assumed I enjoyed it simply because I didn't know any better as I was (and still am) an inxperienced drinker.

Edit: There, damnit.

My Wii code is: 2306 7685 6359 7171

If you add me send me a PM so I can add you as well.
  • LowLow Registered User
    edited September 2006
    All right. I have a quick question.

I have $&@^ tolerance. It's bad. No, it's not "asian kid" bad where a can of beer will knock me out, but taking shots requires a breathing ritual of not throwing up after the 2nd or so, and If I drink too much beer too fast (like a can and a half), my stomach will feel full and I could very well want to chuck.

My question is, is this something that can be fixed or am I just screwed with a body that can't handle alcohol? I'm 5 foot 8, 135lbs, and 20 years old. I don't drink that often (never more than the occasional weekend or so), but there have been some weeks where I ended up drinking a lot with friends.

I would just like to be able to drink without it being a hasstle. Watching friends take giant pulls of something I usually chase and then be drunk enough for the night makes me envious. Getting drunk always seems like a process with a success and fail rate for me. Fail, being chucking before I can make it to 7+ shots.

edited September 2006
    Low wrote:
    All right. I have a quick question.

I have $&@^ tolerance. It's bad. No, it's not "asian kid" bad where a can of beer will knock me out, but taking shots requires a breathing ritual of not throwing up after the 2nd or so, and If I drink too much beer too fast (like a can and a half), my stomach will feel full and I could very well want to chuck.

My question is, is this something that can be fixed or am I just screwed with a body that can't handle alcohol? I'm 5 foot 8, 135lbs, and 20 years old. I don't drink that often (never more than the occasional weekend or so), but there have been some weeks where I ended up drinking a lot with friends.

I would just like to be able to drink without it being a hasstle. Watching friends take giant pulls of something I usually chase and then be drunk enough for the night makes me envious. Getting drunk always seems like a process with a success and fail rate for me. Fail, being chucking before I can make it to 7+ shots.
    Well, the fact that you're 5' 8" and 135 pounds probably has a lot to do with it. However, it sounds like you just have a low tolerance, in general. You're a cheap drunk, which isn't as bad as it sounds, simply because it's a lot cheaper to get drunk.

As you drink more, your tolerance will increase. You could also put on weight, but that's probably not the healthiest way to go about it, unless the weight is muscle, which really doesn't help anywhere near as much as fat.

• LowLow Registered User
    edited September 2006
    I am thinking of trying to force it the next couple days at a friends house with a 1.75 liter of Captain Morgan. I'll probably get sick and chuck, but I'm thinking if I just force crazy amounts down, my body and mind will get used to consuming it?

Someone warn me if this is something that's not going to work.

edited September 2006
    Low wrote:
    I am thinking of trying to force it the next couple days at a friends house with a 1.75 liter of Captain Morgan. I'll probably get sick and chuck, but I'm thinking if I just force crazy amounts down, my body and mind will get used to consuming it?

Someone warn me if this is something that's not going to work.
    Not only is it not going to work, it's really bad for you. And might kill you.

You're going to get much more tolerance from drinking enough that you don't throw up than from drinking so much that you do. When you throw up, you're just wasting alcohol, since a lot of it goes undigested. A few things to do to help: make sure you eat a big meal beforehand; drink lots of water while drinking alcohol (preferably, a glass of water between each drink); and drink some gatorade before you go to bed.

• LowLow Registered User
    edited September 2006
    Hmmm. Well, for starters, I will hit a wall well before I can get alcohol poisoning. Creepy warning nonethless.

So you say you gain no progress if ended up puking at the end of the night? All right, perhaps a gradual amount consistantly for a while is better. I'll try not to get overboard, but it would still be a good idea to push for at least double shots, no?

I'll give it a shot (pun). I always thought water washes away your buzz, but I guess not. Perhaps I'll just drink consistantly for a week or something.

edited September 2006
    Low wrote:
    Hmmm. Well, for starters, I will hit a wall well before I can get alcohol poisoning. Creepy warning nonethless.
    If you're throwing up, you've got alcohol poisoning.
    So you say you gain no progress if ended up puking at the end of the night? All right, perhaps a gradual amount consistantly for a while is better. I'll try not to get overboard, but it would still be a good idea to push for at least double shots, no?
    You'll get some progress out of throwing up, but less than you would out of not throwing up. Double-shots are probably going to just make it harder to tell when you should stop.
    I'll give it a shot (pun). I always thought water washes away your buzz, but I guess not. Perhaps I'll just drink consistantly for a week or something.
    It does wash away your buzz slightly, but dehydration is what causes hangovers. It will also make it so that you can more easily tell when you should stop.

• SkwirlSkwirl Registered User
    edited September 2006
    If you want to decrease your chance to throw up, the best way is to consistantly drink, but never too much. If you usually drink to the point of vomitting, and only drink rarely, your body starts to think that's the normal thing. But if you just drink a little, your body gets used to the feeling of alcohol and you don't throw up as often. Also drink lots of water inbetween shots, like a full 8 oz cup each time. It helps immensly

Herby wrote:
    It's hits harder than than Hammer Time
  • ChasersR4wimpsChasersR4wimps Registered User
    edited September 2006
    Uberwill wrote:
    As far as the many plastic bottle vodkas out there, most of my experiences with them involve swigging them out of the bottle and screaming "Real men don't need a chaser!" at some five-foot-nothing freshman girl. What I mean to say is that anything in a plastic bottle is only good for creating memories. For whomever is not drinking it.

It made me happy to see that this happens elsewhere.

I agree with most everyone else that one of the most important things to having a good time drinking is to learn your limits as alcohol poisoning is very very unfun. My favorite "bar drink" is a prairie fire (tequilla + tobasco). This is a great group shot especially if the others don't know what they're drinking. I also highly recommend throwing in a splash of kahlua into poor quality vodka shots as this seems to make the shot a bunch easier along with tastier.

• ALockslyALocksly Registered User
    edited September 2006
    For your enjoyment I submit this:

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=718

note that the bottle is GLOWING

and this:

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=719

Also, for the good of the cause; A buddy of mine was once a translator in the Russian army. He told me that he would have to go to meetings where all the generals would drink and he would be expected to drink too BUT he was also expected to translate while he was drinking. To cope with this his instructor at the translator school told the trainees to eat half a stick of butter before drinking and it would DELAY the worst effects for several hours and allow you to maintain for the duration of the meeting. Please note the use of the word DELAY and not ELIMINATE. In my own experince a greasy burger and a milkshake is my meal of choice if I plan on a night of serious imbibing.

Normally I'm a beer man but my current situation has resulted in lots of sake exposure. It is definetly a matter of preference but I like sake HOT as in "the waitress uses an oven mitt to hold the bottle" hot and I can't stand the stuff cold so I would say temp makes the difference. If you are going to experiment at home put the bottle of sake in a pot of boiling water to heat it up NOTE: LOOSEN THE CAP FIRST (or bottle splode!)

Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Decadent FallacyDecadent Fallacy Registered User
    edited October 2006
    Knob Creek is a decent bourbon for it's price.

Vodka: Ciroq, It's a Vodka that is made with grapes, it's about 20 dollars less than Grey goose, and tastes slightly better to me.

Whiskey. Johnnie Walker. Red or Blue label. I've never had black

• RagnarDanneskjoldRagnarDanneskjold Registered User
    edited October 2006
    I strongly recommend Bundaberg Rum to anyone who can find it. They don't import it into the US for some reason, but I loved having it when I was living in Australia.

So, if you are out of the states and see it around, try a shot. Good stuff.

• QuadropheniaQuadrophenia Registered User
    edited October 2006
    Does anyone know how Maker's Mark ranks in bourbon? I haven't had that many bourbons or whiskeys, for that matter.

I'm so tired of partying.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think it was mentioned earlier, so wanted to confirm Hoegaarden is some pretty good beer.

Picked up a 6-pack of it the other day along with some port, and was quite impressed.

• stewizbadstewizbad Registered User
    edited November 2006
    I was recently introduced to Sambuko (not sure about the spelling). It is absolutely wonderful as far as flavor goes.
    Side note- I just completed a course in mixology and have my third interview this evening at a very nice saloon.

"It cant rain all the time"-The Crow.
    "X-Box had me at Halo"
  • redimpulseredimpulse Registered User
    edited November 2006
    I would like to throw in a recommendation for Three Olives Vodka.

It's an English vodka, made from wheat. Very smooth, just a slight hint of alcohol.

rbsig.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I would like to throw in a beer reccomendation, actually.

McEwans.

It's a Scottish beer, and is just goddamn delicious.

• Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User
    edited November 2006
    Raspberry vodka and sprite is notably delicious.

• JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User
    edited December 2006
    My realm of knowledge is primarily confined to whisky, so that's where I'll focus.

First, because there has been some confusion in the thread, the proper definitions of each type of whisk(e)y.

Scotch whisky must be produced at a Scottish distillery and aged in oak casks (usually ex-Bourbon or sherry casks) for no less than three years. Must be bottled no lower than 40% ABV and no higher than 94.8% ABV.

Single malt Scotch whisky is distilled solely from malted barley (no other grains are allowed) at a single distillery. If multiple single malt whiskies are blended, it is referred to as a vatted malt.

Irish whiskey is similar to Scotch whisky but almost never uses peat fires to malt the barley and is usually distilled in a pot still. Like Scotch whiskey, they must also be matured for a minimum of three years in oak casks. "Pure pot still whiskey" is similar to a single malt whiskey in that it is only made from barley, but particular to pure pot still whiskey, they mix malted and green unmalted barley together which is a process unique to Irish whiskey.

Bourbon whiskey by US law must be made from 51-79% corn, with the remainder being wheat, rye and barley and must be matured in new charred oak barrels at no higher than 125 proof (62.5% ABV) and distilled to no higher than 160 proof (80% ABV). It must be matured for at least two years to be called "straight bourbon". There are currently no licensed distilleries in Bourbon county.

Tennessee whiskey is quite similar to bourbon, except that it undergoes the Lincoln County Process, perfected by Jack Daniel in 1866, where it is filtered through a column of charcoal chips prior to being matured in new oak casks for a minimum of two years. After undergoing the Lincoln County Process, it cannot be called bourbon as it is a form of active filtration. The only Tennessee whiskies in production are Jack Daniel's (the inventor of the Lincoln County Process) and George Dickel.

Rye whiskey in the United States must be made from at least 51% rye. Canadian whiskey used to be predominantly rye and consequently may still be referred as "rye whiskey". However, that is no longer the case. The only 100% rye whiskey still produced in Canada is Alberta Premium. Canadian Club and Crown Royal, the top two Canadian whiskies use very little rye anymore. The only 100% rye whiskey produced in the United States is Old Potrero. Rittenhouse Bottled-In-Bond rye whiskey was named the North American Whiskey of the Year for 2006.

Corn whiskey is shit. It's made from at least 80% corn (less and it would technically be bourbon) and has no requirements for aging and is usually NOT aged as a result, making it nothing more than cheap moonshine. Georgia Moon corn whiskey actually takes pride in this fact, labeling the bottles "less than 30 days old". Mellow Corn, Dixie Dew and J.W. Corn are actually the exact same product, just with different labels, despite what Jim Murray's wildly varying reviews would indicate. Regardless of what they call it, it's crap, so avoid it at all costs.

edited December 2006
    Another random recomendation:

If you see the Starbucks coffee liqeur, and think you might enjoy it; you will.

It's got a pretty potent flavor, but when shaken with ice, Cacco, and vanilla vodka, makes an excellent coffee martini.

I've seen a holiday "gift box" that has the bottle plus two glasses in it for like the same price as just the bottle, so thought I'd mention it.

edited December 2006
    It should be noted that the Starbucks liqueur is a great substitute for Kahlua in White Russians. Not to slight The Dude's beverage of choice, but I find it makes a much more balanced drink and has less sickly sweet flavor.

• HrakaHraka Registered User
    edited December 2006
    For any of you connoisseurs of whiskeys and bourbans you should check out Bookers. Its a little on the pricy end but its worth it if you like bourban. Smooth and tasty plus its 127 proof so it does the trick quick, which in theory makes it last longer.

I have also recently acquired a taste for Celtic Crossing. Its a whiskey liquer that has a really good subtle honey flavor to it, frankly it tastes amazing.

Look for both of these fine products at your local beverages & more.

I had a stick of Carefree gum, but it didn't work. I felt pretty good while I was blowing that bubble, but as soon as the gum lost its flavor, I was back to pondering my mortality
  • DeciusDecius Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I guess I have to chime in with my favourite alcohol selections, having had a great deal of experience with the subject :lol: . I am Canadian, so some of these options may not be available where you are. However, if you can acquire them I highly recommend trying them out. I’ll warn you that I’m not a connaisseur, so my descriptive words might not be all that descriptive. That being said many of friends have been converted by my picks.

Beer: The national Canadian drink, which is ironic considering that per capita less beer is consumed in Canada than say Germany. Still Beer is to Canada what bread is to butter. I tend to shy away from the big company brews like Molson Canadian, preferring to stick with pints that came from microbreweries that were able to successfully go national. Sleeman’s Honey Brown lager and Alexander Keith’s India Pale Ale are my favourite domestic beers, and if I want to go for an import I usually pick up a pint or two of Stella Artois.

Rye: I guess this is called Whiskey by you ‘Mericans, which would explain the weird looks I get from Bartenders in the US when I ask for a Rye n’ Coke or Rye n’ Ginger in my decidedly Canadian accent :lol:. Not much to say about this category since I’m not a huge Rye drinker. Crown Royal is OK, and Wiser’s 21-Year-Old is better. Moving along.

Rum: I love Rum. It is my drink of choice. I’ve had most of the Rums you can buy from a liquor store, and I’m sorry folks but Bacardi is crap. It’s not as bad as Lambs, but it’s not much better. I seem to get quite a bit of agreement of this topic; where the arguments start to take off is which Rum is the best. Both my picks are dark Rums from the Appleton family of products. My primary pick is the standard Appleton Estate. It’s nice smooth dark Rum that still has that familiar bite good Rum should have. It’s also not as hard as the pocket book, ringing in at about $27.99 CDN. My special treat is Appleton Reserve. It’s only $4 more than Estate, but for that three dollars you get quite a bit more flavour. For those that are looking to get started on Rum, I suggest the following drink. It's called a Cuba Libra. The lime juice takes some of the bite off the Rum, and overall the flavour is quite nice.

Vodka: For inexpensive daily-use Vodka (figuratively speaking of course) I prefer to go with Stolichnaya. For Russian Vodka, it is IMO the most smooth without being weak. This stuff costs about $25.99 CDN for a 750ml, placing it at a cheaper price point that some Vodkas that are FAR WORSE in flavour. If I want to treat myself, I of course go straight for the French Vodka, and by French Vodka I mean Grey Goose. I know this isn’t the be-all and end-all of French Vodka, but it is the most accessible. A 750ml of Grey Goose costs about $41.79 CDN at most liquor stores, but recently a local Costco opened up the first Costco Liquor Store in our area and I’ve found that they have Grey Goose for only $30.75 CDN a bottle. I might be enjoying this treat a little more often.

Scotch: I only recently got into this rather expensive alcoholic preference, but from what I’m told I already have gone right for the good stuff. Scotch is like sex; the older it gets the better it is. That being said after a certain age there are diminishing returns. The first Scotch I tried was a blend known as Teachers. It wasn’t horrible and it did pique my curiosity. From there I went for a 12-year-old Glenfidich, and I though it was OK. I told that to some of my Scotch-connaisseur, and they nearly threw my in the river. However they thought that rather than physically exert themselves in such a way, they would just hold a tasting from their private collection. This introduced me to my current preference, a nice 18-year-old Talisker single malt improted from The Isle of Sky. My last bottle cost me $85.99 CDN, and I’m sure could be classified as a 19-year-old by now, but it is just absolutely wonderful Scotch.

I’m not going to bother getting into liqueurs, coolers, and alco-pop. They vary too much in taste and use. This should at least cover the basics though.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Alright, I figured that a thread about alcohol warrants some description as to the effects of the alcohol itself. I do this mainly for people who have never consumed alcohol, because I was rather curious myself before I had tried it. Note that the consumption of alcohol may have different effects depending on your genetics and personality.

Mild consumption

Relaxation: Perhaps the first effect upon consuming alcohol that you will notice is a marked effect of relaxation. Stress levels and anxiety may be significantly reduced, and you may feel more agreeable (alcohol is often used as a "social lubricant").

Lowered inhibition: One of the most famous and noticable effects of alcohol is the reduction of inhibitions. Specifically, you may have little qualms about speaking your mind freely, and say things that you would not normally say due to sensitivity to others' feelings.

Moderate consumption

Happiness/Euphoria: Pleasant feelings of satisfaction and contentment.

Impaired motor skills: Difficulty with movements, especially ones that involve accurate, fine movements like writing (or typing!)

Impaired judgment/Lack of concern: I call this the "Who cares?" effect. You may have little concern regarding the consequences of your (or others') actions. General disregard for future effects.

Time dilation: Time may appear to go by slower than it actually does.

Visual distortions: Your visual system may have difficulty processing what you are seeing. There might be a delay in between actual movements and when you see the movement. In particular, you may notice a "lag" when you turn or move your head.

Heavy consumption

Sleepiness/Confusion: You may become disoriented and feel tired or confused as to where you are or what you are doing.

Nausea: You may feel nauseous and sick. (or worse--- puke)

Inability to focus: For me, this is perhaps the most unpleasant effect of alcohol consumption. You may be unable to follow a conversation or a train of thought. It becomes almost impossible to effectively communicate with someone or watch television/a movie while still comprehending what they are saying or doing.

"Spinning Room" effect: It may appear that the room is spinning or that you are moving when you are merely standing/sitting still. I have read that this is due to distortion of the eardrum (thus affecting balance) when intoxicated. Movement is further impaired (stumbling).

Slurred speech: Stereotypical "drunken talk" effect whereupon an intoxicated individual has difficulty speaking without clumsily slurring his or her words.

Hangovers

Some of the common effects of hangovers, as I have experienced them:

Headache: Maybe the most common and noticable effect. No explanation needed here.

"Cold" feeling: You may feel exceptionally cold.

Dry mouth/hunger: You might feel thirsty (due to dehydration) or hungry.

"The spins": similar to the spinning room effect, except the room will be spinning in the other direction.

Summary

Well, there you go-- thats what alcohol does to you.

Make no mistake: alcohol is a drug. When people talk of substance abuse, they often say "drugs and alcohol", when in fact they are one and the same. When you drink alcohol, you are doing drugs. I don't mean to be a bummer, but you can become addicted to it, and even die from it if you consume (admittedly ridiculous) amounts.

That being said, alcohol isn't nearly as dangerous as drugs like heroin or meth, or whatever the hell people do these days. It really doesn't even belong in the same sentence as those. It is more along the lines of marijuana in terms of physical danger (though I won't get into marijuana or promote its usage here).

I do not recommend regular usage of alcohol. It impairs your judgment and can leave you feeling pretty shitty the next day. If you have the willpower to take it in moderation, you will find it an enjoyable diversion that can improve the atmosphere of social gatherings. If this is the case with you, alcohol usage can be a good thing. Take too much, though, and I guarantee that you will regret it big time. Alcohol poisoning is hell. The only upside to it is that you will probably be so drunk that you won't remember how awful you felt.

Some tips: drink water! Some people will tell you to drink water at the same time you consume alcohol, but I find that to be quite a bother (and it actually irritates my stomach a bit). Instead, I usually drink a couple full glasses of water before I go to bed after a night of drinking. I also take a multivitamin to help my body replenish itself. This combination seems to be really effective in reducing hangover symptoms and will help minimize damage to your body. Edit: some people have suggested that hangovers are partially caused by a lack of electrolytes as well. Thus the suggestion above of drinking Gatorade/Powerade after drinking. I usually don't do this because I don't normally have Gatorade lying around, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

Know your limit. There is a fine line between feeling great and feeling like shit when it comes to alcohol. The problem is compounded by the fact that it usually seems like a good idea to drink more when you are already drunk. You really need to master this if you plan on drinking. If your friends make fun of you for not drinking as much as they are, tell them to fuck off because it is honestly not worth getting sick to impress someone.

If you're a drinker, you should also consider drinking coffee. There have been a few studies showing that coffee drinkers have lower rates of liver disease due to the protective effects of some of the ingredients in coffee. Some have suggested that coffee can actually reverse damage to your liver caused by alcohol. They have also determined that caffeine is not one of said ingredients, so decaf works fine.

One other thing-- contrary to the popular myth, beer does not kill brain cells. Pure alcohol will indeed kill cells (which is why it is often found in cleaning products), but beer and liquor do not have high enough amounts of alcohol to do damage. It is true that chronic drinking will cause brain damage, but it is due to the fact that alcohol dehydrates and therefore shrinks your brain, usually temporarily but potentially permanently in the case of said chronic drinkers (another good reason to drink water).

I would also recommend that you stay away from hard liquor, because it will fuck you up real fast and is harder to keep under control. I used to hate beer because of its taste, but with experience I have found that it is greatly preferable to liquors in that it allows greater control over intoxication. Wine isn't a bad idea either; it is usually about 2x as strong as beer but still nowhere near the strength of liquor.

Really, though, alcohol isn't anything real special or important. Don't worry about peer pressure or anything because that shit is stupid. Drinking might seem cool or rebellious if you are underage but once you turn 18/21 and it becomes legal its just... meh. I am quite familiar with its effects and I prefer to be sober 98% of the time. You can indulge yourself every once in a while, but just be careful with it. And don't drive drunk, you assholes.

• SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Tobasco wrote:
    Know your limit. There is a fine line between feeling great and feeling like shit when it comes to alcohol. The problem is compounded by the fact that it usually seems like a good idea to drink more when you are already drunk. You really need to master this if you plan on drinking. If your friends make fun of you for not drinking as much as they are, tell them to fuck off because it is honestly not worth getting sick to impress someone.
    This is pretty much the best piece of advice, particularly the last sentence for high school/college-age guys and girls.

It's an easy game to hate
    edited January 2007
    Decius wrote:
    This introduced me to my current preference, a nice 18-year-old Talisker single malt improted from The Isle of Sky. My last bottle cost me $85.99 CDN, and I’m sure could be classified as a 19-year-old by now, but it is just absolutely wonderful Scotch.

That's not how Scotch whiskey aging works. The 'years old' is how long it was aged in cask, not how many years since it was distilled. Whiskey has a high enough alcohol content that it ceases to age once it's bottled. It's effectively inert (it ages in the cask because it's leeching flavor from the wood). If you buy two bottles, drink one now and let the other sit for 50 years, it should taste nearly the same. This is why it has the number of years in cask rather than the date bottled on the label. In fact, you won't find a date bottled on any whiskey because its irrelevant. It does not age in the bottle the way wine does. A 12 year old whiskey will be 12 years old forever. The only reason why vintage bottlings are expensive is because of their rarity. Hold on to a good bottle of whiskey for long enough and it'll be worth much more than you paid for it.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is anyone here familiar with the products of Stone Brewery? They make an excellent IPA.

steam_sig.png
  • TheCanManTheCanMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm a big fan of Bombay Sapphire Gin, either in a martini or a nice strong Gin & Tonic. But my area of expertise is definitely scotch/bourbon. I'll usually drink my on the rocks, but only one or two cubes (I know...I know...ice is the devil). Just enough to cool it slightly and also add a little water as they melt. My current scotch of choice is the 12 year old Macallan (18 year old if I'm in the mood to celebrate), and my current bourbon of choice is Maker's Mark. I can't recommend either of them enough. I think Maker's Mark is a little smoother, but the Macallan has a more robust flavor. And if you want a little change of pace, a Maker's Mark Manhattan is excellent (mostly Maker's Mark, a healthy splash of Sweet Vermouth, a cherry and a little cherry juice).

Here's my question. I'll looking for another sipping liquor. I was thinking about a whiskey (to keep with my scotch/bourbon theme), but I think I want something different. Right now I'm leaning towards either a nice sipping brandy (probably a cognac) or maybe a rum, but I really don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

edited March 2007
    As far as rums go, you only sip dark rum, and Appleton Estate or Pyrat are about the only rum brands I'd drink neat. Most rums should be used for mixing and doing shots, because they simply don't taste very good. Bacardi and Captain Morgan's are among the worst offenders in this regard.

Among the big cognac brands, Remy Martin stands out from the likes of Hennessey and Courvoisier. Not to say that either of them are bad, they're just not as good. If you can find them, Moyet and Frapin are both very good cognacs. Some people might be reluctant to spend much on something they aren't familiar with, but for less than a bottle of scotch you can get VSOP cognacs, rather than VS. The difference is considerable and you wouldn't want to ruin your impression of cognac with liquor that hasn't aged long enough.

• BoutrosBoutros Registered User
    edited April 2007
    Is anyone here familiar with the products of Stone Brewery? They make an excellent IPA.

Stone is a great brewery. I'm not much of an IPA guy, I top out on ESBs and the like as far a hoppiness is concerned, but I love their Arrogant Bastard Ale and Smoked Porter, and I try to pick up their special releases (Vertical Epics, Imperial Russian Stout, Anniversary Ale) whenever I see them. Sadly I've never found their standard Pale Ale here in AK.