As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

San Diego Comic Con

12346»

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    no

no you aren't

that is the raddest

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aw, man. There are 3 panels I want to go to (Geoff Johns, Vertigo & PA) and they're one after the other in the same room. That would be good, since I could just stay in the room and get good seats, but I don't want to spend 3 straight hours (3:30 to 6:30) going to panels instead of exploring the floor. It might even be more than 3 hours if I wanted to go to the Final Crisis panel at 6.

Lux on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    If you asked me to draw Venom I'd hate you too
    Really.
    "Hey you have nothing to do with the character but can you draw him for me?"

Shit, dude. That's just tacky.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is anyone else going to the Spaced screening tonight?

Also I waited outside after the Dexter panel with my season 1 dvds and a sharpie, Michael C. Hall started walking towards me and then was told he had to leave by one of the orange shirt SDCC people, he stopped for a moment said he was really sorry and thanks for coming to the panel. It was like a God was speaking to me, I said in awe as I watched him depart. I am certain I would become full on homosexual for this man.

Also when I was in the middle of waiting outside for him, Samuel L. Jackson was walking through, my friend was right in front of him so I whispered "Samuel L. Jackson is behind you." He turned as he walked by and we just completely fell into shock as he left through the door in front of us.

This is a truly magical place.

Oh and on Saturday I am torn between Sarah Connor and Lost, though I have been told the Lost panel has none of the cast members and just features a bunch of unanswerable questions and so on.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    If you asked me to draw Venom I'd hate you too
    Really.
    "Hey you have nothing to do with the character but can you draw him for me?"

Shit, dude. That's just tacky.

I dont think it's that tacky. Well, maybe since Gabe doesnt have anything to do with actual comic books or Marvel and DC, but I've seen lots of people get various artists that have absolutely nothing to do with certainc haracters to draw them in their sketchbooks for them. It's not tha tuncommon a thing and I'd probably request certain artists to draw things they haven't worked on before.

For example, here's some sketches Rafael Albuquerque did for people and all he's ever done is some indy books and Blue Beetle:
    Thor.jpg

DOOM.jpg

superman2.jpg

I really like the way Superman cape and emblem looks here for some reason.

wonderwoman.jpg

Wonder Woman needs that cloak added to her costume along with the skirt instead of freaking hot pants and slut boots.

Gabe is a little off the beaten path for artists (although insanely popular online), but I don't think asking him for a quick Venom sketch should have caused him to get pissed off at the guy.

Also, here's something similar to that adorable looking Venom from Loli Loves Venom:
    venom_vs_carnage.jpg

llv060_sz.jpg

KVW on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    i think it was probably more that gabe doesn't like venom. i dunno

but yeah, it's not an insult to want to your particular favorite character drawn even if the creator hasn't worked on it. you like the artist's style, obviously, because you want a sketch from him. you're willing to pay and hey it's his job.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's because it's Venom

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    that's a damn cute venom

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I got another Venom sketch today by the guy who did the art for Castle Crashers (xbox live arcade game coming out soon). I told him to draw a Castle Crasher version of Venom or something, so he did a quick Venom sketch with the head of the spider emblem being a Castle Crasher knight's head. Oh, I also did the "buy 3 knights, get the fourth free" deal. Best $60 ever spent. I haven't opened them yet, but they come with a few items and each has their own damn display case. I was hesitant at first, but I went and played the game and it was fan-fucking-tastic. We had a ball playing in what I guess is an arena mode where four of us just fight each other. I also got the programmer and artist to sign two of the display cases.

Quick note before I go to get food, the MK vs DC game is going to be so much fun. They announced the Joker (and 5 others) as playable. I flipped shit.

edit: Is that loliloversvenom person at SDCC?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How big are the CC Figurines Red?

And that reminds me that I've really wanted to buy the Alien Hominid set.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    God, what an awesome day. There just wasn't enough time to go to the panels that I wanted to and buy all the things I would like and get more than one sketch. I got there a little late and only had time to do a little bit of everything. Got two things signed (JG Jones & Adrian Tomine), got one sketch (Dustin Nguyen's Nightwing) and bought three signed prints (Dustin Nguyen, Cliff Chiang & Dr.McNinja's Chris Hastings)

And I really wanted to do so much more but only a one day pass. My mind is spinning.

JG Jones was doing some awesome, detailed (but slow) sketches over at the DC booth. There were four people in front of me and I just didn't have the time to wait for one, so I just asked him to sign a copy of 52. I think he got through 3 people in an hour. But they were awesome to watch - Zoom, Sonny Sumo and Gorilla Grodd.

I also finally found out that in the 7 Soldiers Mister Miracle, everyone was supposed to be black but the artist just made the good New Gods white. "Artists just draw white guys, sometimes" said Morrison.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ShimSham wrote: »
    How big are the CC Figurines Red?

And that reminds me that I've really wanted to buy the Alien Hominid set.

retail_pic2.jpg

Found that image online. Also, you can buy them on Behemoth's site. LINK

Also, the 5-pack Alien Hominid figures are only $10 and it comes with either the GC or PS2 game. Online they are $20 (the figures).

I still want to purchase one Mighty Mugg. It is a tough choice. General Greivous because he is badass. Venom, well, I like him. Commander Cody because I have had a thing for him since reading the Episode 3 book (I mean come on, my name is Cody haha).

I also want to get me that Street Figther messenger bag with Ken on it. Add 2-3 trades and I think I am just about all bought out for this con. Oh, there was this zombie table where they had a poster of the evolution of man and then once it hit man it goes from man to zombie (in a few steps). I thought that was neat.

Did I mention I love SDCC? I can't wait for NYCC. I will be a two CC veteran ready to strike. KA-POW!

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So the convention is still on until Sunday, right? Is there any chance anyone at the event would be interested in picking up that exclusive PA poster for another PA fan (would try to make it worth your while)?

Send me a PM if so...

Avenrosh on
  • Options
    AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just read Newsarama's report on the Watchmen panel. Something Zack Snyder said caught my eye;
    “Everyone likes Rorschach the best, so that rules him out. Everyone likes the Comedian because he’s kind of a...bad ass. Those two I can’t vote for.”

Uh... what? I'm bothered that the director of Watchmen thinks The Comedian is 'bad ass'.

Aleph on
  • Options
    elgatoelgato Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Went to the PA booth. Sort of gave them manly looks of love, ones they did not reject. Bowed in humble awesome sauce, and scooted off like a school girl.

Top notch experience!

El Gato Negro

elgato on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am so excited for Farscape Season 5 comic series.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aleph wrote: »
    I just read Newsarama's report on the Watchmen panel. Something Zack Snyder said caught my eye;
    “Everyone likes Rorschach the best, so that rules him out. Everyone likes the Comedian because he’s kind of a...bad ass. Those two I can’t vote for.”

Uh... what? I'm bothered that the director of Watchmen thinks The Comedian is 'bad ass'.

What's wrong with that? He smokes cigars, thinks the whole world's a joke, fried a bunch of people in Vietnam and wears a gimp mask. That's the definition of badass.

KVW on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    Aleph wrote: »

What's wrong with that? He smokes cigars, thinks the whole world's a joke, fried a bunch of people in Vietnam and wears a gimp mask. That's the definition of badass.

And rapes people.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    And takes pleasure in killing people. Innocent people included (doesn't even matter if one is carrying his child).

He wasn't your average piece of shit, The Comedian has more depth than that, but one thing is for sure -- he is far from badass. Not even close. You got to be fucked up in the head to say that.

Aleph on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think you're reading too much into it. He could just be searching for a term to describe the character and why people may like him.

Lux on
  • Options
    digital.aarondigital.aaron Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow, comic con was kind of a bust for me. I was totally stoked because there were going to be a lot of creators who had worked on X-Men, and my main motivation to go was to get autographs. When I got there, I found that like HALF the people I wanted to meet weren't there.

Jim Lee - I guess he got there in time for his panel in the morning (which I didn't go to) and then left the con, to go to the zoo or some shit.

Whilce Portacio - There was a sign at his Artist's Alley booth sayung he would be at the Image booth from 2pm. I was there from like 1:30 to 3, and I met a guy who looked like Whilce, but was not. I felt dumb when I asked him to sign some stuff, and he was like "Sure, but I don't know why you want me to sign them..."

Mark Pennington, Art Thibert, Bill Sienkiewicz, Matt Banning, David Hahn - All M.I.A. I asked some guy who was sitting at the booth Mark Pennington was supposed to be at, and he was like "Yeah, Mark is in Florida this weekend. He gave me his booth."

On the plus side, I met Gabe and Tycho, played Maga Man 9, Bionic Commando (both), and Street Fighter 4.

And holy crap was it crowded on Friday.

digital.aaron on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Whilce Portacio - There was a sign at his Artist's Alley booth sayung he would be at the Image booth from 2pm. I was there from like 1:30 to 3, and I met a guy who looked like Whilce, but was not. I felt dumb when I asked him to sign some stuff, and he was like "Sure, but I don't know why you want me to sign them..."

This is always my fear. Alex Sinclair was at the DC booth signing, but I didn't ask him because the picture DC had on their video screens looked nothing like him.

Lux on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I wasn't able to make it to the show but my boss did so I asked him to get me something. He knows I'm a huge Walking Dead fan so he got me a limited edition print. Later he actually got to meet Kirkman through a mutual friend and he got him to sign it - explaining that I couldn't make it because I was at a different tradeshow. Kirkman writes, "Hey SIMM, You have to make it over here next year. We'll grab a cheeseburger" and gives my boss his card.

Needless to say, that bad-boy is going up in the living room.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    elgato wrote: »
    Went to the PA booth. blahblahblah
    Top notch experience!

Luckey you. :P

Anyway, I thought this Comic-Con was a lot less crowded than I thought it would be. Friggin preview night was more crowded than today.

Today was a good day. I went to the Ben 10 panel to wait for the Sarah Conner Chronicles and Office panels. All three we entertaining. Kids surprise me with the questions they come up with. Way better than some of the adults.

As we left the Office panel they were handing out tickets for a free advanced screening of The Rocker (Rain Wilson's new movie out in August). So I got another Venom sketch, bought more crap, and we headed for the theater. The movie was delightful, although it was hard for me to not think of his character as Dwight since I watch the Office so much. Afterward, there was a Q&A session and then he was swarmed for autographs. I joined in and got him to sign my Office messenger bag and he was like, "I didn't even know they made those. Where did you get it?" and I told him at the NBC store in NY. I felt happy.

Now we wait for our $31 pizza to arrive at our hotel room door. I hope I have enough space to pack all my shit I bought.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    no

no you aren't

that is the raddest

Second video window down.

Even the crappy quality doesn't keep me from saying yes. Yes it is.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    We slept in a little today and then just browsed the exhibition hall.

We watched the Street Fighter 4 tournament, which was awesome. I took video of a Zangief vs Ken match. I am sad I didn't buy the Ken messenger bag yesterday when they still had it. Oh well, I got a signed SF4 poster from the producer (something Oni?). I also bought a Ken patch and Ken keychain.

I would have liked to go to the Spongebob or Fraggle Rock panels, but we just took it easy. I got me some Ultimate Spider-Man trades and we left. Now it is pool time and then time to pack. Leaving tomorrow at 1:30. I am so sad the Con is over. It was a blast.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fraggle Rock as in the new movie being done by one of the Zappa brothers? I fear that flick. Fear it hard.

Aoi on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Convention over.....feet....tired.

Was a blast. Even though I could rarely make it into the late night stuff. Too dang tired out half the time.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I finally got into the con yesterday, and only stayed for a little while, because my wife was tired and hungry. She bought me a shirt, thought.

I'm not really happy with the way the weekend turned out in general. We got into the Sideshow party on Friday (I'm not going to turn down an open bar) and got to stay at the Hyatt for the night. That wasn't enough to save the experience, though. I had to sit through a medocre version of Phantom of the Opera instead of hitting the con on Saturday. Urg.

Next year. All 4 days. Whatever it takes.

Tach on
  • Options
    AcidCatAcidCat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just one day of Comic Con made me feel my age, just walking the exhibition hall wore me out. I was going to try for a couple of the panels, until it became clear that I'd be spending most of my day in line. There was more than enough interesting things on the show floor though - Gabe & Tycho were friendly and I picked up the newest book. Just glad I finally went to the show after so many years living right here and thinking "I should go to Comic Con this year" and never really getting around to it.

AcidCat on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    I had a pretty good con. I managed to pick up a copy of Who is Rocket Johnson. I got some cool other stuff. Went to the Lucas/Gentle Giant/Dark Horse party and got some cool loot from there. Met some cool people and went to some good panels. All in all, a good experience.

Grifter on