As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Really weird college situation...

histronichistronic Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
This is kind of a weird situation and I'm not sure if anyone here will know what I should do but here goes:

Last summer my family moved from Indiana to North Carolina. The year before that I went to Indiana University. When they moved, I decided I'd follow them and go to school in North Carolina. However, my father hadn't paid off my last semester at IU yet because of financial problems (the reason we moved in the first place). After we moved, it was too late for me to get my transcripts over to go to the university that I wanted to go to, so I was forced to go to a community college in the same town where we live. However, I never got my IU transcripts over to them, either, because the last semester there had not been paid off. I basically had to apply as a freshman and just gave them my high school transcripts. Therefore, this college does not know I took previous college courses. Next semester I want to transfer to the University of North Carolina in Wilmington, and I am wondering what I do with the credits I'm going to get from this semester at the community college I'm at. I've already submitted an application stating I'm a transfer from IU, I don't know how to include this community college on there since I technically never transferred from IU to the community college... I'm really just wondering if the university will be mad that I acted like a freshman at the community college after I had already taken courses at IU.

I hope this makes sense, and I hope I can get some help/feedback on what I should do.

Edit - My last semester at IU is now paid off so I can get those transcripts over to the University of North Carolina

WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
PSN: rlinkmanl
histronic on

• Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hmm. My suggestion would have been to see if you could transfer the credits from IU to the Community College, and then transfer the credits from the Community College to the University if North Carolina. But I think you're already past that part of the process by now.

Honestly, unless you've completed a substantial number of credit hours that aren't repeats from IU (since you were starting as a Freshman you would have had to start over), I would suggest not even worrying about the Community College credits. Or, if you like, have them transferred later?

Probably not ideal advice. I'm going to a community college right now, myself. I'll ask around and see if anyone else has been in a similar situation.

Murphy on
  • Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I want to be able to transfer the credits over because otherwise this semester will be a waste, and I'll have to go to school for another semester before I can graduate.

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aye, I know how you feel about wasted credits... I lost almost two years worth of credits when I transferred to California from New Hampshire.

I would say to talk to someone at the new college you're going to. The continuity of college shouldn't matter (that is, it shouldn't matter that your current college doesn't know about the community college). Get transcripts for both, and bring them to the admissions/transfer office at your intended new college. They'll be able to give you credit for both colleges for whatever classes fit their curriculum.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    you would likely just do it as you would send the transcripts from IU. Most applications have more than one slot for education, just put both in and have transcripts sent from both schools. If its a pretty general course, such as general bio or chemistry as an example it will have a better chance of it being accepted as transferable. you should probably also talk to an admissions person at UNCW. I don't see it as that big a problem

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    histronic wrote: »
    I want to be able to transfer the credits over because otherwise this semester will be a waste, and I'll have to go to school for another semester before I can graduate.

I totally understand this. Feeling as though you wasted your time and money sucks. I was just listing it as an option. How many credits are you taking at the CC? How many of them are entirely new, and not at all repeats of something you took at IU?

As mentioned above, you should be able to add the school to your application, so you should be fine.

Murphy on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You probably should have stuck with IU. Have you even talked to anyone in North Carolina about whether or not all of the credits will transfer? About 90% of the time, the answer is "no." You need to go talk to someone at the college where you're at. Any answer we could give you would be based entirely off of our own experience at our own colleges, and that could very easily be (i.e. "almost certainly is") completely different from the policies at your school.

Thanatos on