Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Oscars are pointless, but fun to discuss

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel Building an empire OsloRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Food movie not nominated for Oscar. Moist behemoth cries and cries.

Fuck off and die.
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Seeing There Will Be Blood plastered all over these nominations makes me even more angry that my shitty city of residence didn't get it in theaters.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Cojo MojoCojo Mojo Registered User
    edited February 2008
    You know, I really liked Juno but what the fuck is it doing in the best picture category? I just don't understand. Even compared to Knocked Up and Superbad, Juno takes a back seat to them. Both movies were funnier and still managed to have some depth and sweetness underneath the crudeness.

Just because Juno was an indie comedy with annoying music in it doesn't make it best picture material.

• Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm pissed that The Simpsons Movie didn't get nominated for Best Animated Picture of the year. I might not as good as Persepolis and its definitely not as good as Ratatouille but it had to be better than Surf's Up.

TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel Building an empire OsloRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It was extremely shitty though.

Fuck off and die.
    edited February 2008
    No it wasn't. It wasn't as great as I was hoping it to be but it was still pretty damn good.

TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Was Surf's Up nominated?

Also your Beauty and the Beast quote is wrong.

sig1.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    Was Surf's Up nominated?

Also your Beauty and the Beast quote is wrong.

Yes it was.

Also what is the quote then?

TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited February 2008
    Little Town. It's a quiet village. Not town twice.

I was in a prodcution of it last year and had to hear it a hundred thousand times

sig1.jpg
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    who did you play?

edited February 2008
    Gaston's Croony. Not Lefou but the stage production has two croonies that my friend and I got type-casted into.

sig1.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have to agree with Pooro on most of what he's said on this page.

Although I liked Magnolia quite a bit more than he did

edit: I meant the last page

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KeithKeith Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Enchanted was really good please do not be bashing it

i heard it was really good and i want to see it but no one would go with me :(

7LmZWpZ.jpg
    Steam | 3DS: 3497-0691-2891
    edited February 2008
    juno was the only movie i saw that is nominated for any oscar

7LmZWpZ.jpg
  • BugmanBugman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Am I the only one who thought that the ending to There Will Be Blood was kind of disappointing?

I feel really guilty saying that because I hear the same thing from people about No Country For Old Men, which is just a stupid thing to say.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bugman wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought that the ending to There Will Be Blood was kind of disappointing?

I feel really guilty saying that because I hear the same thing from people about No Country For Old Men, which is just a stupid thing to say.

the ending to no country was not disappointing, it was disjointed

the transition between the final scenes felt really weak to me

STEAM
    Spoiler:
    edited February 2008
    Tommorrow is going to be my third day out of school and hoped up on drugs from my wisdom teeth removal.

So I think I will watch

Fight Club
    Seven
    and Enchanted

sig1.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

it's just as stupid to say it about TWBB

maybe even stupider

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    PiptheFair wrote: »

the ending to no country was not disappointing, it was disjointed

the transition between the final scenes felt really weak to me

I enjoyed the ending to no country for old men. I had a problem with there will be blood's

• JordynJordyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Soup wrote: »
    I would say that more animated films should get best picture

the only problem is that there is at best one good animated film a year

Since they made the best animated film category, an animated picture will never get nominated for best picture, it doesn't matter how good it is.

thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • ZevverlithZevverlith Registered User
    edited February 2008
    No Country For Old Men for the win......on everything!!!

Cake or Death?
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Elipses have three periods.

Only one exclamation point is necessary.

And while we're at it, "for the win" is a little played out.

To Bugman: Man. TWBB's ending was perfect.

To Pip: The argument could be made that it's meant to be disjointed. I mean, the whole point of it is how Tommy Lee Jones' character feels like he just doesn't understand the world anymore, and it feels so harsh and jarring to him now. So my abruptly shifting gears like that, it puts you into his head space. Leaves you wondering about all the things he wondered about, and makes you even more sympathetic to how out of sorts he feels.

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tommorrow is going to be my third day out of school and hoped up on drugs from my wisdom teeth removal.

So I think I will watch

Fight Club
    Seven
    and Enchanted

In that order?

Is Enchanted good. Ive been hearing that it is genuinely good.

scarab you have mental problems
  • naporeonnaporeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Enchanted is a hell of a lot of fun.

I went expecting to hate it, and left thoroughly entertained (and surprised).

edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

So I think I will watch

Fight Club
    Seven
    and Enchanted

In that order?

Is Enchanted good. Ive been hearing that it is genuinely good.

If it all goes as planned yes.

And I'm not sure. I want to see it because I hear it is good myself

sig1.jpg
    edited February 2008
    nap will you rent the blu-ray and watch it with me

7LmZWpZ.jpg
    edited February 2008
    just playing don't hang out with me

7LmZWpZ.jpg
  • naporeonnaporeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    nap will you rent the blu-ray and watch it with me
    Only if you scowl through the whole thing, and when I ask you if you're having fun, you reply with a terse "no", without changing your apathetic yet tortured expression even a tiny bit.

edited February 2008
    naporeon wrote: »
    Enchanted is a hell of a lot of fun.

I went expecting to hate it, and left thoroughly entertained (and surprised).

That's because Amy Adams is the bee's knees.

Have you seen Junebug?

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man I don't want to go to the cinema by myself, but it really is about time I saw No Country For Old Men

edited February 2008

Don't get me wrong, I loved TWBB. Definitely one of the best movies in a long long time.

But I still feel that I would have enjoyed the movie more if the last 15 minutes hadn't been there.

I really felt that ending sort of derailed the film. The way I viewed the movie was of this deep introspective look into Plainview's character. That's where I felt the majority of the substance of the film was. The ending however relied on this culmination of the two "rivaling" characters, one of whom I had almost forgotten about, which left me disappointed in the resolution of the film.

edited February 2008

Don't get me wrong, I loved TWBB. Definitely one of the best movies in a long long time.

But I still feel that I would have enjoyed the movie more if the last 15 minutes hadn't been there.

I really felt that ending sort of derailed the film. The way I viewed the movie was of this deep introspective look into Plainview's character. That's where I felt the majority of the substance of the film was. The ending however relied on this culmination of the two "rivaling" characters, one of whom I had almost forgotten about, which left me disappointed in the resolution of the film.

Man, the last fifteen minutes is just a distillation of that introspective look. The whole ending is a reflection of what Plainview's mind is really like. It just takes the internal tumult and makes it external. His view on his relationship with his son, his view on Sunday, his view on humanity as a whole - the ending is the only time he comes close to genuinely revealing that which he has felt the entire movie. And as for focusing on the rivalry, well, it has to. His sense of competition is the driving force of the entire character. And with that closing, you see bone-deep that competition runs, and finally see the boundaries of it. Of how far he's willing to go, how long he will push, until he feels the competition is done.

A story about madness is bound to terminate in madness.

edited February 2008
    Man, the last fifteen minutes is just a distillation of that introspective look. The whole ending is a reflection of what Plainview's mind is really like. It just takes the internal tumult and makes it external. His view on his relationship with his son, his view on Sunday, his view on humanity as a whole - the ending is the only time he comes close to genuinely revealing that which he has felt the entire movie. And as for focusing on the rivalry, well, it has to. His sense of competition is the driving force of the entire character. And with that closing, you see bone-deep that competition runs, and finally see the boundaries of it. Of how far he's willing to go, how long he will push, until he feels the competition is done.

A story about madness is bound to terminate in madness.

I guess I viewed the ending in a different way. I agree that the ending is very externalized view upon his emotions. I just felt that whereas No Country For Old Men's ending really expounded and pronounced the meaning of the film, the ending to TWBB sort of just repeated it and went in a different direction with the rival factor.

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jordyn wrote: »

Since they made the best animated film category, an animated picture will never get nominated for best picture, it doesn't matter how good it is.

this is what I was saying

but no people gotta call me dumb and moist and shit

whatever

xmassig2.gif
    edited February 2008
    Whatever you dumb moisty

edited February 2008

whatever

it's such a stupid rule

you can be nominated for best picture and best comedy

but noooo animation is for kids, it can't be a best picture

7LmZWpZ.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It still bothers me that an animated film can never even be nominated for Best Picture

But I am glad that at least Ratatouille is being nominated for things other than Best Animated Feature

7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
    edited February 2008

whatever

it's such a stupid rule

you can be nominated for best picture and best comedy

but noooo animation is for kids, it can't be a best picture

Best comedy is Golden Globes, not Oscars.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus ha ha just kidding I'm Frog ManRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Enchanted was really good please do not be bashing it

i heard it was really good and i want to see it but no one would go with me :(

sounds like you need better friends

• Skull ManSkull Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    jesus fuck me christ juno does not belong on that list