As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Like half the internet is down for me

yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
Well, my title says it all. Randomly, pages are refusing to load. For instance, I can't get to Tiddlyspot, and Gmail's being quite spotty.

You will note that you, at this very moment, can still access these sites just fine.

So, I am left to ask, what might be the cause? It's happening the exact same on all the computers, so it's not a virus or a glitch. Could it be something in the router? A problem with my ISP?

yalborap on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2008
    could be your router or modem... unplug both, plug in the modem, plug in the router after the modem connects.

Then check your DNS settings; do a DHCP release/renew on your router's config page if it persists.

Barring that, check your DNS servers on your desktop machines and see if the DNS servers match the ones your DHCP release/renew gave you.

if all that fails you, call your ISP.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    syndalis wrote: »
    could be your router or modem... unplug both, plug in the modem, plug in the router after the modem connects.

Then check your DNS settings; do a DHCP release/renew on your router's config page if it persists.

Barring that, check your DNS servers on your desktop machines and see if the DNS servers match the ones your DHCP release/renew gave you.

if all that fails you, call your ISP.

I have no damn idea what the third one means.

yalborap on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Since the subject came up:
    http://www.opendns.com/

If you have a small town ISP or something similar that has shitty updating services. You guys still waiting on your domain resolutions know what I mean.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    the internets not "down" for me per se but most websites are taking an eternity to load today. this happens every few months for me, must be DNS shenannigans. though I dont have a small town ISP, I have road runner

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I heard something on NPR about one of the tubes getting hit by a ship's anchor near India.

The internets are healing themselves, causing global lag.

Fell free to correct me.

TL DR on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I heard something on NPR about one of the tubes getting hit by a ship's anchor near India.

The internets are healing themselves, causing global lag.

Fell free to correct me.
    Five cables were cut.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Basticle wrote: »
    the internets not "down" for me per se but most websites are taking an eternity to load today. this happens every few months for me, must be DNS shenannigans. though I dont have a small town ISP, I have road runner

As do I, if memory serves.

So it seems to be the same problem for both of us.

yalborap on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You could try using Level3's DNS servers.

4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 work fine.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Now...How do I do this, exactly?

Using a Linksys WRT54G, if it helps.

yalborap on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    yalborap wrote: »

I don't use that router, so I can't say. In Windows you open the connection properties for the network adapter, open the TCP/IP properties, and enter it there.

Based on the small pictures in the manual (which I downloaded), check the router's basic tab and find the "Static DNS" entries. Putting them there and renewing your connection with the router should get things working that way.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    yalborap wrote: »

I don't use that router, so I can't say. In Windows you open the connection properties for the network adapter, open the TCP/IP properties, and enter it there.

Based on the small pictures in the manual (which I downloaded), check the router's basic tab and find the "Static DNS" entries. Putting them there and renewing your connection with the router should get things working that way.

Hrm, seems to be working now. Thanks!

yalborap on
This discussion has been closed.