Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

¿Parlez du рүсский?

Fire TruckFire Truck Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Social Entropy++
So this is a thread about languages.

Which do you speak, which do you want to learn?

Will you use your language abilities to pick up hoes in different area codes? Or just as an excuse to really confuse someone you are cussing out?

I myself speak French, am proficient in Spanish, and am in my second semester of studying Mongolian.

Fire Truck on
dansmith3_zps6f7d5d05.jpg

• laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd like to be fluent in German, but I only know basic German from my high school classes.

Ich brauche einen Alufolie Hut damit die Leuten an anderen Planeten kann nicht meine Denken kennen! D:

• M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I spoke a shit ton of languages as a kid, now it's English and partial Spanish. I was going to learn cantonese or mandarin I forgot which.

I probably still will but I need to have time to do it and i'm just really busy right now. I also want to learn Farsi.

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I speak spanish and english

and I've been trying unsuccessfully to learn tagalog

man I figure once you know putang inang you're good to go

yeah I learned that from my mom

and then learned what it meant from my cousins

• Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Honey, I speak two languages, English and bad English.

sig_lambo.jpg
  • ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Plain statement, I speak a little Elcor. Harsh realization, I don't really care about this thread, I just wanted to make an Elcor joke.

MVCVenom.jpg
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    who the hell studies mongolian?

Mongolians don't even study mongolian.

City_Wall.jpg

• Fire TruckFire Truck Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    what a formal conjugation of parler you have there dude

Plural. I was not only talking to you, teefs.

• OdinOdin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can speak English, Italian, French, Spanish and German

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Is it too much to ask that we go one thread without a fifth element reference?

bar-cc-1.jpg
  • ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

City_Wall.jpg

Dude yes, that is my favorite episode. I have it on my Xbox.

MVCVenom.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Javen wrote: »
    I speak english and WoW

oh hey I used to be fluent in wow too

now I just have the basics down

edited February 2008
    My next class will probably be Biblical Greek, and I'm going to take some Hebrew at some point to go along with it, but I doubt I'll bother to really learn to speak either. Unless I decide I want to learn one of the modern counterparts, there isn't really any point.

edited February 2008
    I've been wanting to learn Mandarin for a long time, but I found out my university offers Mongolian.

And, well... I just went with the more awesome decision.

(Yes, I know, MySpace, boo)

• WallhitterWallhitter Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Taking Latin.

It's a bitch to learn/memorize.

marcus est parva puella!

edited February 2008
    I thought I might like to learn italian but then I realized it would have no utility for me

edited February 2008
    Can I ask why you're taking Latin other than shits and giggles?

bar-cc-1.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Semper ubi sub ubi!

• LarlarLarlar Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2008
    Coldbrand wrote: »

City_Wall.jpg

Dude yes, that is my favorite episode. I have it on my Xbox.

Thinking of any line that character's ever said in any episode immediately makes me laugh.

iwantanswers3.png
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository PAHK YAH CAH IN DAH YAHD SouthieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Larlar wrote: »
    fire trucks don't speak french

they speak siren, stupid

English fire trucks go weeeeoooooeeeeooooooeeeeeeoooo

French fire trucks go BONJOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUR

English fire trucks go WEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAARRRWEEEEAARRR

French fire trucks go NOOOOUSSSSOOMMMMESSSNOOOUUUUSSSSOOMMMESS

haha french joke!

How dare you address that French truck in the familiar. You don't know it well enough for that.

Your fuckin' family's dug into the Southie projects like ticks. You, however, grew up on the North Shore, huh? Well, la-di-fuckin'-da. You were kind of a double kid, I bet, right? Huh? One kid with your old man, one kid with your mother. You're upper-middle class during the weeks, then you're droppin' your "R"s and you're hangin' in the big, bad Southie projects with your daddy on the weekends. I got that right?
  • KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2008
    I speak Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, and high-school French in addition to

• The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository PAHK YAH CAH IN DAH YAHD SouthieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I speak French, Spanish, German. Oh and Russian and Arabic.

Засаживать claymore!

شارك, أمسك ب, إستلم, إحتل, حقق, نال, أسر, صور, أدرك, إستعاد, إستولى, تناول, قبل, إستحوذ على, إشترى, إختار, إقتضى, حمل, رافق, إستمر, تعود, بدأ, قبل التحدى للمبارزة, أخذ, تطلب ِ أحد, ما من احد
    prisoners

Your fuckin' family's dug into the Southie projects like ticks. You, however, grew up on the North Shore, huh? Well, la-di-fuckin'-da. You were kind of a double kid, I bet, right? Huh? One kid with your old man, one kid with your mother. You're upper-middle class during the weeks, then you're droppin' your "R"s and you're hangin' in the big, bad Southie projects with your daddy on the weekends. I got that right?
  • BibbleBibble __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2008
    A little swedish and a lot less french

2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Is it too much to ask that we go one thread without a fifth element reference?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for conversation, but maybe you could just shut up for a moment?

sig_lambo.jpg
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fire Truck wrote: »

Will you use your language abilities to pick up hoes in different area codes? Or just as an excuse to really confuse someone you are cussing out?

I myself speak French, am proficient in Spanish, and am in my second semester of studying Mongolian.

You don't sound pretentious at all.

japsig.jpg
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Can I ask why you're taking Latin other than shits and giggles?

My school is fucking insane and decided to make it its main language course.

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Larlar wrote: »
    fire trucks don't speak french

they speak siren, stupid

English fire trucks go weeeeoooooeeeeooooooeeeeeeoooo

French fire trucks go BONJOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUR

The whistles go wooo WOOOOOOOOOO

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2008
    I speak French, Spanish, German. Oh and Russian and Arabic.

Засаживать claymore!

شارك, أمسك ب, إستلم, إحتل, حقق, نال, أسر, صور, أدرك, إستعاد, إستولى, تناول, قبل, إستحوذ على, إشترى, إختار, إقتضى, حمل, رافق, إستمر, تعود, بدأ, قبل التحدى للمبارزة, أخذ, تطلب ِ أحد, ما من احد
    prisoners

How fluent are you in these and how did you learn them?

edited February 2008
    Fire Truck wrote: »

You don't sound pretentious at all.

Thanks!

• VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Maybe I should make a thread about how many different countries you've lived in or how many passport nationalities there are in your family.

edited February 2008
    Maybe I should make a thread about how many different countries you've lived in or how many passport nationalities there are in your family.

let's just hijack this thread

although I'm pretty boring compared to most tcks and my immediate family all have the us passport now

edited February 2008

How bout you use that fancy passport and come to boston where we can eat gigantic cookies

bar-cc-1.jpg
    edited February 2008
    די אידישע פאלק הייסט אין תנ"ך ישראל אדער יעקב, און דער נאמען איד שטאמט פון ווארט יהודה. וויבאלד נאר שבט יהודה האט זיך אומגעקערט פון גלות בבל קיין ארץ ישראל, וואס דערפאר האט כלל ישראל באקומען דער נאמען איד, דאס ערשטע מאל ווערן זיי אזוי אנגערופן אין די מגילה ביי מרדכי "היהודי".

סדר הדורות ביז שלמה המלך:

* דער אידישער גאט איז אנטפלעקט געווארן דורך אברהם אבינו, און די קינדער פון זיין אייניקל יעקב האבן זיך צונויפגעשטעלט אלץ א פאלק אין מצרים צווישן די יארן א'תתק"ס צו ב'תק"ס.
    * אין יאר ב'תק"ס נעמען די אידן איין כנען און ארץ ישראל ווערט א אידיש לאנד צעטיילט אין שבטים, אבער דערווייל איז נאך נישט דא א פארמאלע רעגירונג.
    * אין יאר ב'תש"ג האט מען באקרוינט דער ערשטער קעניג שאול המלך אויף אלע שבטים פון ישראל. ער האט געקעניגט 20 יאר.
    * אין יאר ב'תשנ"ו איז דוד המלך געווארן קעניג אויף שבט יהודה אין פארלויף פון 7 יאר, נאכער האט ער געקעניגט אויך אויף די עשרת השבטים אין חברון און באשטימט שטאט ירושלים אלץ די הויפטשטאט פון ישראל'ס קעניגרייך און פירט אריבער דער ארון הברית אין ירושלים.

2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    god you are so gay

33aqfwk.jpg
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY EVERY DAYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    took three semesters of japanese

i don't remember a damn thing from it

(english is the only good language fuck everyone else)

xcomsig.png
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

although I'm pretty boring compared to most tcks and my immediate family all have the us passport now

I love how complicated my family can be. Add in where my extended family is located and you've got a story.

edited February 2008

I love how complicated my family can be. Add in where my extended family is located and you've got a story.

oh extended family can get interesting!

and yes listen to javen and come next month when I am visiting boston and we can all eat cookies together

edited February 2008

do you have family in antarctica

2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User
    edited February 2008
    I want to learn one of the languages of my heritage, such as German or Nordic (is Nordic a language?)

do not ask for whom the snerd tolls
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nordic isn't. But it does describe the family of North Germanic languages.

2dtr87s.png