As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anonymous stages worldwide protest against Scientology

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Yes, but the Inquisition, the Crusades, the Salam Witch Trials, all happened hundreds of years ago. Human life wasn't valued at all, by anyone. All of the bullshit Scientology is pulling is happening now, in a day and age when society doesn't tolerate these things.

Honey, 'christian values' are the direct cause of violent death in a huge swath of countries right now. The approach to reproductive health provision and family structure in developing countries is keeping the maternal and infant mortality rate far higher than it needs to be, spreading STDs, and maintaining local sociocenomic restrictions that prevent women and children from escaping violent families. The knock-on effect is lowered health and life expectancy for the entire population, and a tremendous strain on developing economies. Russian orthodox revivalists all across the ex-soviet nations are mobbing and beating other religions, including minority christian sects, and burning their churches and homes. Christians and muslims are in a bomb-chucking free-for-all across South-East Asia, and have been for decades.

Seriously, does no one in this thread have the slightest grasp of world religious history? All faiths are raging prickfests under the charity stuff! Even the 'buy your way up the chain' aspect of scientology isn't original, look up the sale of Indulgences in the early catholic church for one example, or the artificially steep prices for necessary sacrificial animals in the Pharisee-run Judaism of Jesus' time, which kept poor people in poverty if they wanted to be regarded as Good Jews. Hell, the mormon tithe system and the pointed looks from the guy with the 'voluntary' collections plate are only different in extent, not function. Charging exorbitant fees to get closer to god isn't new or different, sentry is right. Its just another religion.

The only reason you lot are giving a shit about this is because lol-teh-internets-people-are-on-tv. Its fucking embarrassing to watch you fawn over this non-event as if the channers are some special crusade for righteousness. They're just another protest group: its nice that they seem to have latched on to something they believe in besides terrible hentai, but they're not special, and neither will they be any more effective than anyone else protesting whale-eating or whateverthefuck. There's no reason on the planet that this event deserved a half dozen threads in the last fortnight.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Sentry wrote:
    Mormanism does the exact same thing. Aside from the basic promotional material, you can't even enter one of their churches without being an indoctrinated member.

I must have hallucinated the entire event where after they finished building the new local temple, they invited everybody in the city to come walk through it. It's very VERY white inside, but there isn't anything like a secret Water Slide For Jesus in there.
    They do however, have a Jesus-Go-Round. I rode it three times.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    They only ever do that once after the temple is built.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Lave II wrote:
    Mormanism does the exact same thing. Aside from the basic promotional material, you can't even enter one of their churches without being an indoctrinated member.

I must have hallucinated the entire event where after they finished building the new local temple, they invited everybody in the city to come walk through it. It's very VERY white inside, but there isn't anything like a secret Water Slide For Jesus in there.
    My grandmother and uncle are Mormons, I've attended services at various Mormon churches dozens of times without incident, while openly discussing who I am, that I'm a "non-member", etc. At no point have I ever felt unwelcome in a Mormon establishment. Most Mormons that I've met are very friendly and sociable and enjoy meeting new people. Even if they're non-members.

Azio on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    The only reason you lot are giving a shit about this is because lol-teh-internets-people-are-on-tv. Its fucking embarrassing to watch you fawn over this non-event as if the channers are some special crusade for righteousness. They're just another protest group: its nice that they seem to have latched on to something they believe in besides terrible hentai, but they're not special, and neither will they be any more effective than anyone else protesting whale-eating or whateverthefuck. There's no reason on the planet that this event deserved a half dozen threads in the last fortnight.

Well, you do have to consider the medium and the audience here. This is an internet forum, and a lot of the members of this forum either are or know members of one side or the other. It's quite reasonable for there to be significant interest in a conflict involving an internet-based group on these forums. I wouldn't compare the coverage the event enjoys here to, say, the coverage it might get on the local news or CNN. I do imagine Fox News having a field day with this once they catch up with the real world.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cat, you're right, there probably isn't need for this much excitement about it.

But frankly, I'm not sure why you're so angry about it, either.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    They only ever do that once after the temple is built.

No, you can go back in if you want. I don't really wander into christian churches unless I have a reason to in there either. and the Salvation Army didn't seem to care that an atheist was in their Citadel counting bucket money last Christmas season.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    Lave II wrote:

My grandmother and uncle are Mormons, I've attended services at various Mormon churches dozens of times without incident, while openly discussing who I am, that I'm a "non-member", etc. At no point have I ever felt unwelcome in a Mormon establishment. Most Mormons that I've met are very friendly and sociable and enjoy meeting new people. Even if they're non-members.

Erm I didn't say that. Thats a quote of someone else.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Mostly because of the sheer volume of whiny crap I'm copping for pointing it out. heaven forbid anyone note that this isn't going to change the world :roll:

And frankly, not to get all 'you can't protest this because of *insert other horrible thing*', but the way far worse groups got ignored in favour of the scientologists pisses me off. Like someone said on a previous page, this thing started as a joke and only took off because someone was daft enough to threaten the channers. They're at least half motivated by "We'll show those bastards", the actual legitimate concerns came well after what was basically an ego-driven internet flamewar. Not exactly pure as the driven snow, this mob. They weren't looking around for a way to make the world a better place.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Lave II wrote: »
    Sentry wrote:

Erm I didn't say that. Thats a quote of someone else.

Oh, sorry then. I manually fixed it from an earlier post, so it looked like you posted it. I'll go fix my posts.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yes, but the Inquisition, the Crusades, the Salam Witch Trials, all happened hundreds of years ago. Human life wasn't valued at all, by anyone. All of the bullshit Scientology is pulling is happening now, in a day and age when society doesn't tolerate these things.

Honey, 'christian values' are the direct cause of violent death in a huge swath of countries right now. The approach to reproductive health provision and family structure in developing countries is keeping the maternal and infant mortality rate far higher than it needs to be, spreading STDs, and maintaining local sociocenomic restrictions that prevent women and children from escaping violent families. The knock-on effect is lowered health and life expectancy for the entire population, and a tremendous strain on developing economies. Russian orthodox revivalists all across the ex-soviet nations are mobbing and beating other religions, including minority christian sects, and burning their churches and homes. Christians and muslims are in a bomb-chucking free-for-all across South-East Asia, and have been for decades.

Seriously, does no one in this thread have the slightest grasp of world religious history? All faiths are raging prickfests under the charity stuff! Even the 'buy your way up the chain' aspect of scientology isn't original, look up the sale of Indulgences in the early catholic church for one example, or the artificially steep prices for necessary sacrificial animals in the Pharisee-run Judaism of Jesus' time, which kept poor people in poverty if they wanted to be regarded as Good Jews. Hell, the mormon tithe system and the pointed looks from the guy with the 'voluntary' collections plate are only different in extent, not function. Charging exorbitant fees to get closer to god isn't new or different, sentry is right. Its just another religion.

I totally and 100% agree with the first two paragraphs here. Cat is totally on the money.

And I totally agree with the 3rd paragraph - BUT I'm fucking happy that a bunch of our typically fucking apathetic generation actually doing something - even if it is temporary.

Lave II on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    heaven forbid anyone note that this isn't going to change the world :roll:

is anybody saying it is?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Mostly because of the sheer volume of whiny crap I'm copping for pointing it out. heaven forbid anyone note that this isn't going to change the world :roll:
    I'm pretty sure you were angry before the whiny crap came.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

And frankly, not to get all 'you can't protest this because of *insert other horrible thing*', but the way far worse groups got ignored in favour of the scientologists pisses me off. Like someone said on a previous page, this thing started as a joke and only took off because someone was daft enough to threaten the channers. They're at least half motivated by "We'll show those bastards", the actual legitimate concerns came well after what was basically an ego-driven internet flamewar. Not exactly pure as the driven snow, this mob. They weren't looking around for a way to make the world a better place.

Well sure, but I honestly don't think the 4channers (as a group) would ever protest any of the serious issues you're talking about. Sure, there's a lot of the "we'll show them" thing going on, but if I had to choose between the 4channers protesting Scientology or protesting nothing (which, let's be honest, is realistic), I guess I'm not sure what wrong with being glad they chose the first one.

And I think most of us recognize that this isn't exactly shaking the foundation of Scientology. Even the 4channers themselves have said that they're mostly trying to educate people, not necessarily topple the structure of the organization. And every account that we've heard about the protests has emphasized how polite and peaceful they were.

Most of us know this isn't going to "change the world". But I don't see why you feel the need to come down so hard on an admittedly small group of people who are trying to do something good, regardless of their motivations.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    SwitchbladeSwitchblade Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Honestly, I think the protests might actually achieve something. If nothing else, literally thousands of leaflets were distributed today. Even if only a small percentage of those were actually read and digested, that's still a few more people who have been made aware of the reality of the situation and are now able to make their own informed decisions on the matter.

It's an encouraging sign that our generation is not totally apathetic, and is willing to stand against an immoral institution, even where it does not directly affect them. Restores my faith in humanity a little bit.

Switchblade on
    When God gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD!!!!
  • Options
    omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    cat do you listen to art bell

i'll bet you do

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Not all of the protesters out there today were there because of an "ego-driven internet flamewar". Some of these people actually cared.

Dozens of times over in this thread people have said that these protests aren't going to have the impact of changing the world or anything like that, and no one considers this some great crusade to save us all from Scientology. We know that most of these people are from 4chan, but not ALL of them. We can't lump together all of them out there as 4chan geeks who are just doing this for the epic lulz.

I've noticed that in my generation there is a fair amount of apathy, that when this came up, and there were some legitimate reasons behind these protests and not just "showing /b/ strength" I was amazed. I like the fact that I know my generation can care about something. Sure, it might not be the most important thing in the world, but at least they showed that they could organize and do something and not act completely retarded. Who is to say that after this protest that some of these kids won't go out and protest other things and work their way to important things?

Before today not many people knew about Scientology and all the atrocities commited under its name. Today, people got together to educate those unaware. Maybe if someone staged a world wide protest against the Christians who commit those atrocities in third world countries to inform, we'd get somewhere. Instead of bashing these kids for doing something that was global maybe we should look towards them for ideas on how to really motivate other people to protest more worthy causes?

Again, we should look to them for ideas. And we shouldn't lump together all the protesters out there as 4channers as some of them actually CARED. All the people I interviewed for my project stated time and time again that they were against the corporation not the religion, that these people did horrible things and that the public showed know about it. They took time to explain their position and not one did I hear "EPIC LULZ". They asked questions, they were polite and they did something. If it is now that my generation learns that they can exercise their voices and manage to put together this peaceful protest, and it was only due to them trying to expose a corrupt religion, then so be it.

It shouldn't matter what they are protesting and all the things they are ignoring. We'd be here all fucking day. What should matter is that these kids have heart, and they did something, which is more than what some of us can say in this thread or hell this forum or country. Bitching about what they're protesting about is totally missing the point and kills some of those influenced by the these protests hope. The point is, we came, we saw, we got together, and we did something. Small, or not. Some of us showed that we cared. Some genuine protesters hopped on the board with the 4channers, and some of the 4channers actually cared. They should be acknowledged for it, at least.

Mim on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I should have gone to the London one. I got a call earlier about something happening but instead I goofed off and wrote some stuff.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Maladjusted fatties in Guy Fawkes masks waving crude Sharpie marker signs while out playing pretend protest are the future, The Cat.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    go get her, fatties

get her good

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nartwak wrote: »
    Maladjusted fatties in Guy Fawkes masks waving crude Sharpie marker signs while out playing pretend protest are the future, The Cat.
    And I'm sure you've got some totally non-arbitrary dividing line in mind that distinguishes a "real" protest from a "pretend" one.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mikesta wrote: »
    Nartwak wrote: »
    And I'm sure you've got some totally non-arbitrary dividing line in mind that distinguishes a "real" protest from a "pretend" one.
    oh, don't mind him. he's just rushing to the aid of his sweetie <3

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    All we have to do is work out the very worst organisation in the world, and then ban all protests against anything else.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    All we have to do is work out the very worst organisation in the world, and then ban all protests against anything else.

man you'll never shut down disneyland!

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Azio on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ITT: Shitting.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    yup. whole lot of bitching going on.

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Lave II wrote:

Yeah, my bad. I completely forgot how open and transparent the Mormon church is. The fact that my friend, who was best man at our friends mormon wedding, had to sit outside the temple with the friends family was just a complete oversight.

Whatever... you guys have a mad hate on for Scientology, fine. Is it a cult? Sure, I'll give you that, but there is still NOTHING at all unique in what the Church of Scientology does. If you think there is, then you are just as stupid as the church's members.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You know, to someone like my mum or dad or someone who doesnt know who or what Anonymous is this kind of thing would be pretty worrying and creepy.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    Lave II wrote:

Yeah, my bad. I completely forgot how open and transparent the Mormon church is. The fact that my friend, who was best man at our friends mormon wedding, had to sit outside the temple with the friends family was just a complete oversight.

Whatever... you guys have a mad hate on for Scientology, fine. Is it a cult? Sure, I'll give you that, but there is still NOTHING at all unique in what the Church of Scientology does. If you think there is, then you are just as stupid as the church's members.

Please explain to me what Scientology's uniqueness has to do with these protests.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Lave II wrote:

Please explain to me what Scientology's uniqueness has to do with these protests.

I feel like adding to this festering pile of anecdotal accounts, as futile as it is. I've been to a mormon wedding before, and I had no problem getting in. Hell, the groom wasn't even a mormon himself.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Lave II wrote:

It's discrimination? I don't know, I thought the same thing.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Thats still not me saying that quote!

Your forgetting of course that just because the things CoS are doing aren't unique doesn't make them any less wrong.

Sure CoS's flaws are the same as any other religion - but they are still fucking flaws and should be treated as such. Thats worthy of a protest.

Catholic Cover up of Pedophiles - Worthy of a Protest.
    Vatican lying about 'tiny holes' that let AIDS through condoms? - Worthy of a Protest.
    The inequality of women under Sharia law? - Worthy of a protest.
    Lisa McPherson's Birthday? - Worthy of a protest*

Sure you may disagree with some or all of the above - but it's still worthy of protest. In the same way that things I'm pro - like abortion or sacrilegious cartoons are worthy of a protest to cretins.

* (but not the bunch of tired memes being said in real life - but thankfully there was a suprisingly equal mix. Though I'm glad I was "anon" just so I couldn't be identified hanging around with a bunch of "Long Bus is Long" shouting twats).

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Narian wrote: »
    Lave II wrote:

It's discrimination? I don't know, I thought the same thing.
    They are willing to eliminate dissent through any means necessary. They often isolate their members, for months or years at a time, from friends and family. They charge a fucking fortune for their services. Then there's the whole Lise McPherson thing, and the other deaths as well.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2008
    CTV reports on the Montreal raid (full story here)

Azio on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    KungFu wrote: »
    ITT: Shitting.

Sounds like 4chan to me.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    You know, to someone like my mum or dad or someone who doesnt know who or what Anonymous is this kind of thing would be pretty worrying and creepy.

Actually, if they knew who Anon was they would find them pretty creepy as well.

Hybrid on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    CTV reports on the Montreal raid (full story here)

From a quick watch (whilst working) I don't see how that clip on national news can be anything but a good thing. It's raised awareness. It's positive, it's clear from the subtext the news station supports the protesters. To many people assume that everyones gone and researched Scientology and knows it's bullshit.

Thats not the case. At a table in a pub a few weeks back there was about 10 of us. Of that around 7 didn't have a clue about Scientology and listened in shock as the rest of us told them about it. People knowing scientology is silly is important and needs occasional things to raise awareness.

And thats not just limited to scientology. It's why Life of Brian exists. And it's why Life of Moe should be made.

Lave II on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Shinto wrote: »
    Sad sad people.

There are those who would say the same of the Obama supporters in this forum.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    Shinto wrote: »
    Sad sad people.

There are those who would say the same of the Obama supporters in this forum.

You fucking what?

Apothe0sis on
This discussion has been closed.