As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LTTP: Original XBox, and the exciting games thereof

theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
So I just inherited my brother's old XBox, since he's moved on to a PS3, and taking a look at his games collection, I wasn't impressed.

The thing is, people keep saying how great the range of XBox games are, but the key factor here is: I hate FPS games, particularly on consoles. And whenever people spout all the great games XBox has ever had, their lists are usually full of games such as Halo, Battlefield, Medal of Honour, etc.

So, what other great games did the XBox have?

theSquid on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    -Jet Set Radio Future (platformer/skater/spray painter)

-Phantom Dust (matrixy action w/ card game/RPG elements)

-Fatal Frame 1 & 2 (survival horror)

-Panzer Dragoon Orta (rail shooter)

-SvC Chaos (fighter)

-Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (FPS alert, but it's not that simple, I think; one of my favorites)

-Xyanide (amazing on-rails shmup)

-Thief (3): Deadly Shadows

-Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    All four Splinter Cells - Yes, they're available on the other two systems of the generation, but I prefer the Xbox versions, if only for the tighter control scheme.

Ninja Gaiden - You need this game. Don't even get anything else without getting this first, and the original's like less than $10 now anyway.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Shenmue 2

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    HubHub Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rallysport challenge 2, greatest racing game ever!

Hub on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Shenmue 2

This is true.

Oh, and another vote for Jet Set Radio Future.

Weird. Judging by my choices, the oXbox was almost kind of a weird japanese niche console.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, Sega did give the Xbox most of their 'niche' licenses, like JSRF, Otogi, and Panzer Dragoon.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Shenmue 2

This is true.

Oh, and another vote for Jet Set Radio Future.

Weird. Judging by my choices, the oXbox was almost kind of a weird japanese niche console.

I'mma say it:

Everything that wasn't was better on PC.

I ditched my xbox because of the PC overlap, and never looked back. Now I kind of want a 360 so I can play the ten or so oxbox titles I still have, some of the arcade stuff, and the current niche japanese titles (Lost Odyssey, Dead Rising, and whatever else is on the way).

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Crimson Skies is good, but Secret Weapons over Normandy is SO SO much better. Really amazing arcade flight game. And a second to phantom dust, and panzer dragoon. Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil if you haven't played them.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Crimson Skies is good, but Secret Weapons over Normandy is SO SO much better. Really amazing arcade flight game. And a second to phantom dust, and panzer dragoon. Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil if you haven't played them.

Beyond Good & Evil is one the best games of that or any generation and you'd be crazy not to buy it if you have a system that will play it.

It does everything better than its competition and it has an art style that can only be described as "inspired."

minor incident on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Voodoo Vince. Really good platformer that nobody paid attention to. Who doesn't love voodoo dolls?

Gilder on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Otogi 1 & 2

Spectacularly beautiful action games set in a mythical japan. The combat is almost like a Ballet as most of it takes place in midair and is super smooth. The first one is slightly better, but only just and that's mainly my taste rather than anything wrong with the second game which is awesome in it's own right. The games also contain some of the greatest boss battles ever, The Crimson King fight in the first game is considered THE best boss fight ever by some people. These two games would probably be my favourite Xbox games.

Phantom Crash: Blue Skies brings tears

Imagine the customisation and tuning of a game like Gran Turismo mixed with the quirky style of Jet Set Radio. Now imagine that put into a Mech game set in the ruins of Tokyo where you fight these agile Mechs, armed with a variety of fully customizable armaments (from rocket packs to combat drills) and cloaking devices, in a fully fleshed out league. Now add in a dose of bizarre and insane characters and storylines and mix well with an awesome and unique soundtrack and you have this fantastic game.

Deathrow

Deadly futuristic sportsgame with such teams as "Convicts", "Mercenaries" and "genetically engineered Demons" Has a button to swear profusely at opposing players, which more often than not ends up with them stomping on your face a few moments later. Plus I love a sports game where you can win by beating the other team unconscious.

Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders

Despite the second game and the new action rpg KoF being not so great this one was really good. Imagine Dynasty warriors, but with a fantasy theme and more strategy involved. It has two levels to the battles, initially you have a more RTS mode where you move the units around taking into account the enemy positions and things like whether you have the sun to your back or not to aid in battle. You can do some pretty cool stategic maneuvers here, like sneaking a unit through forests to flank the enemy archers or so forth.

Then in battle it's more like a standard dynasty warriors style game. You hack and slash through enemies and try and defeat the enemy leaders to break their morale. Between battles you can do some rpg style progression with your units, outfitting and training them into new jobs. Plus it has a rocking metal soundtrack and giant scorpions, gotta love that.

Also I gotta third Panzer Dragoon Orta. So awesome.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Deathrow

Deadly futuristic sportsgame with such teams as "Convicts", "Mercenaries" and "genetically engineered Demons" Has a button to swear profusely at opposing players, which more often than not ends up with them stomping on your face a few moments later. Plus I love a sports game where you can win by beating the other team unconscious.

What you're describing... It sounds like Mutant League Football (AKA the greatest sports game ever). I've never heard of Deathrow. Is my assumption close? Please, god, tell me it is.

minor incident on
  • Options
    SisterRaySisterRay Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gunvalkyrie

Initially the game feels like an unplayable mess (third person shooter), but if you spend time learning the controls you'll be glad you did.

If I remember correctly, one stick controls your torso while another controls your movement (strafe, forward & back). Through clicking in the sticks, you are able to "boost" with your jetpack both up and forward. Once you've mastered the game you can stay in the air indefinitely and absolutely wreak havoc on the gameworld.

Plus, it was retailing for less than $10 new at the end of the Xbox's life cycle so you can probably find it on the cheap.

SisterRay on
    360: SEN0R MachoSolo
    PSN: PalaceBrother