As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Me I'm New To Comics

• Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh that's true Bale I always forget about Dodson because Land just pushes everything out. Good lord to I loathe his art and I tent to like a lot of bad stuff.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh my, Planet Hulk and World War Hulk arrived in the mail today from instocktrades

Planet Hulk was amazing... onto WWH.

Thanks again for the recommendations!

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh my, Planet Hulk and World War Hulk arrived in the mail today from instocktrades

World War Hulk is a lot of fun!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »

World War Hulk is a lot of fun!

Just finished WWH... where does the story go from here? Are there trades that continue the story or individual issues?

Goddammit, I'm going to be broke soon aren't I....

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    There's Hulk
    You don't want to read that

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, following World War Hulk, Marvel handed the Hulk over to Jeph Loeb who apparently proceeded to blast hot wet shit all over everything. But, The Incredible Hercules is also a follow-up, and everyone seems to love it, and the first issue of Skaar: Son of Hulk came out recently, so check that out, maybe?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Son of Hulk seems pretty sweet. Wikipedia says he first appeared in WWH #5 but I can't find find. What am I overlooking?

Also,
    Miek is a douche.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2008
    Son of Hulk isn't great.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just finished WWH... where does the story go from here? Are there trades that continue the story or individual issues?

Aside from Skaar: Son of Hulk and Incredible Hercules, look into Damage Control, Warbound (not available in trade yet), and Hulk: WWH.

Might also want to look into this, since it has some WWH stuff. Most notably, the WWH: X-Men tie-in, which was good.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Munch wrote: »

Aside from Skaar: Son of Hulk and Incredible Hercules, look into Damage Control, Warbound (not available in trade yet), and Hulk: WWH.

Might also want to look into this, since it has some WWH stuff. Most notably, the WWH: X-Men tie-in, which was good.

I'll be sure to pickup Warbound when it becomes a trade, all those characters were really sweet. Also the Incredible Herc Trade is exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

I thought about getting the WWH: Xmen, but I already picked up the 2 Iron Man singles, and I hear that the 3 Xmen comics are the only ones worth reading in there.

That sucks that Son of Hulk isn't that great; anyone else besides Geebs think so? I'm really curious what happens there...

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It's only been one issue so far, I'm still hopeful about it

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, Son of Hulk has had one issue and that issue had a lot to set-up

I'm pretty hopeful

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    The Ghost Rider tie-in was good

Me Too! on
  • Options
    thepricetheprice Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have a couple of questions for those well versed in the world of comics if you're willing to help me out.

First, a while back I picked up a couple of Batman trades including Year One and Long Halloween, since the guy at the comics store told me they'd be a good introduction. I enjoyed them but after doing some lurking on this and other comic book forums it seems like Frank Miller and Jeff Loeb are not very well thought of among comic fans in general. Why is that? Are the stories I mentioned just rare bits of accidental quality amongst generally unremarkable careers? Or are even those stories widely disliked among the diehards?

If these guys aren't that good by the standards of the hardcore fans, who should I be reading in Batman comics? Which writers "get" the character? So far I haven't found any bat-books I liked better than these, but if they aren't considered the best of the best, I'm curious about what is.

Also, it seems like Grant Morrison is very highly regarded, but from what little of his that I've read he seems to make a habit of doing very unconventional things with established characters. This seems like something that, most of the time, comic fans don't like, since one of the most common internet complaints about any given comic seems to be that a writer is writing someone "out of character." What did Morrison write that makes comic fans trust him so much that they are willing to let him, and apparently only him, take extreme liberties with characters like Magneto or the Joker? I read his New X-Men run as well as Arkam Asylum and while I liked them, they didn't make me say "Yes, this is a man who can make my favorite character a drug addict or a transvestite and I will love him for it." What did Morrison write that I need to read to make me trust him the way everyone else seems to?

theprice on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Animal Man is one that is always held up as an example of Morrison reinventing a character the right way.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Anything Loeb does with Tim Sale is at least mildly well-regarded, and a lot of the hate Frank Miller gets comes from his latter work.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    a lot of the Morisson love also comes from his non-superhero work.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think the issue is that their early stuff was good but as they have gotten older the quality has dropped. Loeb for example, with the new Hulk book and Ultimates 3 has gotten terrible. The stories are bad, the dialogue is awful and generally its just not interesting.

If you like the older work, Batman: Y1 (Miller) and Long Halloween (Loeb) then check out some of their other stuff. Check out Dark Knight Returns (Miller) or Hush (Loeb), Maybe give Sin City a shot (if you liked the movie you'll like the books) or look into some of Loeb's other work.

Generally I would say not to let other people make up your mind for you if you liked Year One and Long Halloween awesome check out some other things. You're the only one that needs to like something.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    Generally I would say not to let other people make up your mind for you if you liked Year One and Long Halloween awesome check out some other things. You're the only one that needs to like something.

Oh, I wouldn't change my oppinion on something because of the general concensus, certainly, I was just wondering why people felt the way they did about those writers and, more importantly to me, what I'm missing out on if there are much better Batman books than those out there.

I know that Miller's recent Batman work has been unpopular, but would I likely be able to get into it if I like Year One, or is it a pretty big departure? I should point out that I'm not married to any one interpretation of Batman, so just being a different take on the character wouldn't be enough to scare me off if it's well written for what it is.

On the subject of Grant Morrison, could someone recomend something he's done in non-superhero work that's worth looking into? I've been thinking about We3, but other than that I don't know what I should be going after. Also, would I be able to enjoy Morrison's Animal Man if I have no idea who Animal Man is?

By the way, thankyou to everyone who has provided input.

theprice on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    yes to animal man

we3

the invisibles

doom patrol (superhero comics only from a certain point of view)

zenith (if you can track it down (you can't))

Seaguy (!!!)

new x-men

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    and here's the thing- he doesn't make characters act "out of character" so much as he makes them seem like actual people. he's never had a character become a transvestite for no reason or anything like that (an established character, anyway. and when there IS a transvestite, she's a transvestite for a damn good reason).

also all-star superman.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think the dude said he already read New X-Men

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    well then he can skip that one

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    yes to animal man

we3

the invisibles

doom patrol (superhero comics only from a certain point of view)

zenith (if you can track it down (you can't))

Seaguy (!!!)

new x-men

Man, Animal Man really is awesome but Jesus the art is abhorrent.

And The Filth! The Filth!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Abhorrent? I wouldn't go that far.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Alright, I've ordered We3 and if I like that I'm going to go all in and get some Animal Man and Doom Patrol. I'm interested to find out what I think of Morrison when my oppinion isn't colored by preconceptions about the characters he's writing. Maybe I just need a blank slate. I mean, I did like New X-Men and Arkham Asylum, I just found the way some of the characters were portrayed to be a bit jarring.

theprice on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    the invisibles

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I should try the invisibles

as someone who is lukewarm on his superhero stuff I should branch out

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    OK. I have been wanting to get into comics again for some time. When I was a kid, I would pretty much blow my allowance on comics but after I got into highschool, and discovered that I could not get laid by telling a girl the latest arc in ASM, I kinda gave them up. Also, I was getting really pissed off at the cross overs spanning like 25 titles.

I was always a fan of Spider-Man, and I left off around the end of the whole clone saga, which I actually liked quite a bit. I would like to get back into it, but I am not sure where to start. I want to get trades because I cannot be bothered with trying to buy the comics in succession, and I hate waiting for arcs to finish.

I am also in the States right now, where trades are retardedly cheaper than in Canada. So this is the prime time to pick some up.

I have heard great things about USM, but I realllly don't want to re-read the origins of Spider-Man for like the 900th time. Is there a place where I could pick it up later, and not be totally lost as to whats going on?

Also, The Runaways seems like it is pretty sweet. Do they have a trade for it?

I have just bought Civil War: What If? which was pretty cool, and Kingdom Come and Wanted. Kingdom Come is probably the only DC comic that I can bring myself to read, I have no idea why, but I just don't really like much about DC. Wanted was cool, if sounding nothing at all like the movie.

So, what should I do forumers? Start USM at the begining, or pick up later trades and go from there? Or pick up something totally new, and see if I like it? The job I have allows for lots of time to read, and I am currently out of books.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You should read Ultimate Spider-Man from the start - it's worth it trust me

and Runaways is collected in both big fancy hardcovers and in little digest sized trades, they dont have regular trades for that though I think.

and there's tons of a good stuff out there right now

what other characters interest you? Do you only want to read superhero stuff? Are there any writers/artists you particularly like?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I don't know enough about comics to know any artists/writers, or if I know them, it's not well enough to know what they have done thats good.

I liked Crimson when it was out.

I think I mostly like the super hero thing, but, I would be willing to check out other things. I don't plan on spending a lot, or looking really hard to find things.

Comics I have not liked: AvP, Superman (or almost anything DC, cept Batman), The Gunslinger thing Marvel put out...

I read a bit of WWH, and it was OK. X-Men, from what I remember was cool.

I don't really know what I like, because it's been so long I can't remember.

I know this is kinda retarded because I am asking you to intuite what I will like, but I don't want to JUST read Spider-Man...thats all I used to read, and I think I have pigeonholed myself into only liking one style...

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If you want to check out X-Men you could pick up Whedon's Astonishing X-men, it's collected in 4 trades and is relatively self contained (as far as the X-men are concerned).

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well like I said - Ultimate Spider-Man is a great choice, as is Runaways.

You say you don't plan on spending a lot - so you are looking primarily for stuff in trade paperback, not hardcovers right?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I like the X-Men. Do they have What If? trade? Cause man, I love What If? Elseworlds also kind of appeals to me.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Well like I said - Ultimate Spider-Man is a great choice, as is Runaways.

You say you don't plan on spending a lot - so you are looking primarily for stuff in trade paperback, not hardcovers right?

Yes, I am only a collector for the purpose of reading. Hardcovers don't not appeal to me in any way.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You could also head over to your local public library, most have at least some sort of a graphic novel section. Or, failing that, check out Barnes and Noble or Borders. Just start flipping through some things that look interesting to you.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I will be hitting every Chapters I see. Wait, do you guys have Chapters in the states?

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    there have been a lot of good X-Men stories recently, in addition to Whedon's Astonishing X-Men I would reccomend Ed Brubaker's run on Uncanny and Mike Carey's X-Men.

If you like team books, Bendis' New Avengers is easily availible in trade and is a lot of fun.

the Planet Hulk collection is phenomonal.

Brubaker's Captain America, first the Bendis and then the Brubaker runs of Daredevil

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    OK, sweet, thanks!

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If you like the Fantastic Four, the Mark Waid run is where to go.

For some non-superhero stuff check out Brian K. Vaughn's Y: The Last Man which I would say is the best comic of the last 10 years.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.