As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help Me I'm New To Comics

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    the New Avengers: Illuminati is fantastic.

World War Hulk is decent, it has great art but it's not really an Iron Man story other than the huge fight they have in the first issue.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would say read Planet Hulk because that is a much better story. Over all WW:Hulk was a bit of a let down.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    WWH has nowhere near as much impact if you don't read Planet Hulk so you should read that first anyway

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fear Agent is a really good book about a truck driver turned astro-badass.

That just sold my roommate on the book. He had been floating around about getting it and I told him to read that sentence.

It is one of the best books coming out right now.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fear Agent is a really good book about a truck driver turned astro-badass.

That just sold my roommate on the book. He had been floating around about getting it and I told him to read that sentence.

It is one of the best books coming out right now.

He's read through the first trade twice already since getting it the day after I showed him that post.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Walking Dead book 1 is amazing. Seriously, I'm loving every moment of it. As soon as I get paid next week, I'll be buying more. Thanks again guys. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Finally, a comic store has opened where I live! So I bought myself the first two volumes of Sandman and Hellraiser.

So happy.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DiggDigg Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey,
    I'm fairly new to comics. I recently read a Green Arrow collection by Kevin Smith called Quiver, which I found to be underwhelming. I picked up The Avengers United #92 (start of the Illuminati story) and I wasn't hugely impressed with that either. I wound up in a comic book store with a wider selection and took a long browse to find what caught my interest... One of them:

Wildstorm's Number of the Beast

I read this and really liked the setting and humour. I got the second issue and I'm enjoying it. The story is playing out in an interesting way.

Is anyone else reading this?

I'm not looking for spoilers but I'm curious to know if this is representative of Wildstorm's other comics.

Digg on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Digg wrote: »
    I picked up The Avengers United #92 (start of the Illuminati story)

what

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

what

It's a UK-published comic available in 'normal' newsagents that reprints recentish Marvel comics in a compilation format.

Edit: see?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »

what

It's a UK-published comic available in 'normal' newsagents that reprints recentish Marvel comics in a compilation format.

It sure is.

The contents:
    The Illuminati - New Avengers: Illuminati #1
    Public Relations - New Avengers #15
    Secret Identities - Young Avengers #7
    Assault on a Mind Cage - Avengers (vol 1) #195
    The Warlock's Eye - The Mighty Thor #131

Digg on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Just out of interest, Digg, did you like any of the issues reprinted in it at all?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

what

It sure is.

The contents:
    The Illuminati - New Avengers: Illuminati #1
    Public Relations - New Avengers #15
    Secret Identities - Young Avengers #7
    Assault on a Mind Cage - Avengers (vol 1) #195
    The Warlock's Eye - The Mighty Thor #131

what in the hell

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Why are those last 3 issues even in there

hell I dont even think that New Avengers issue had much to do with the Illuminati. Isn't that the one with J. Jonah Jameson?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    man that is an awesome compilation

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Just out of interest, Digg, did you like any of the issues reprinted in it at all?

The Illuminati one was good but didn't have me anticipating the next installment, if you know what I mean.
    Public Relations (about the Avengers announcing their new line-up to the press, with Ms. Marvel hanging around) was pretty weak.
    I liked the Young Avengers, except whenever the Young Avengers talked.
    The classic comic had Ant Man in it, who I've been curious about since I heard of his existence. That was fun.
    Thor was just weird.

Edit: Yeah, Jonah Jameson was in the PR one.

Digg on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    That is just such a random assortment of issues

who put that together.

And that Illuminati thing was a one-shot, there was no 2nd issue.

There was however a mini-series that showed the Illuminati reacting to all the major events in Marvel history - the Kree/Skrull War, the Infinity Gauntlet, Secret Wars, etc.

That shit it awesome.

Obviously I love New Avengers but that issue was not that great and is probably pretty terrible to be a first issue to read.

Young Avengers is awesome too

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I don't even know who/what the Illuminati are!.. which is weird cos this compilation I bought has "The Illuminati revealed at last" plastered over the front.

I did find Captain America to be a bit interesting in the New and Young Avengers stories. What are his comics like? You don't have to be American and fiercely patriotic to like them, do you?

Digg on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The Illuminati are (or were.. they don't really exist anymore) Iron Man, Proffesor X, Black Bolt, Dr. Strange, Mr. Fantastic, and Namor.

Captain American is amazing although the version that appears in those 2 stories actually died a couple years ago.

But I would reccomend the entirety of Ed Brubaker's run on the character, - it's a completley fantastic series (even with someone else now wearing the costume)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    But I would reccomend the entirety of Ed Brubaker's run on the character, - it's a completley fantastic series (even with someone else now wearing the costume)

Thanks! I might check that out.

Digg on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I don't even know who/what the Illuminati are!.. which is weird cos this compilation I bought has "The Illuminati revealed at last" plastered over the front.

I did find Captain America to be a bit interesting in the New and Young Avengers stories. What are his comics like? You don't have to be American and fiercely patriotic to like them, do you?

The new Cap stories by Ed Brubaker are awesome. You can get the Omnibus for around $50 (US) and if you are at all interested it's a must read.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey,
    I'm fairly new to comics. I recently read a Green Arrow collection by Kevin Smith called Quiver, which I found to be underwhelming.

:arrow:

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm fairly new to comics. I recently read a Green Arrow collection by Kevin Smith called Quiver, which I found to be underwhelming.

:arrow:

okay what

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I shall hear no slander against Kevin Smith's Green Arrow

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Wait, was Quiver the first arc? The one where Ollie was a soulless husk?
    Because that was good

Me Too! on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I liked Quiver, but I can it being a bit impenetrable to someone who's unfamiliar with DC comics' continuity. Though I used it to get my younger brother into comics. I just had to keep telling him, "Look just pretend it's the start of a movie and you don't know who any of these people are, or what's going on."

I think Sounds of Violence was a stronger self-contained arc.

Munch on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I knew nothing about DC when I read Quiver
    I just read it because I knew I liked Green Arrow
    I still enjoyed it thoroughly. Sounds of Violence was good, and Onomatopoeia needs to show up again

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I do think that part of my not enjoying Quiver was due to unfamiliarity with the DC Universe. But, I thought that the idea of jumping back and forth between the afterlife and Earth was silly. I don't think that reading hundreds of previous comics would change my opinion about the silliness of that.

The main draw of the story was, I guess, that the Green Arrow was coming back, but the subplot (especially the villain) was poor in my opinion.

The characters talked a lot about things that had happened in previous comics (which didn't bother me hugely), but I don't think they did it in a natural way. The conversations were sometimes just collections of references with no real purpose.

Digg on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It seems odd to me that I've never thought of picking up a thor book. Anyone recommend this? Where would one start?

Also - I'm fairly new to Iron man, and was wondering if there's a collection of Iron-Man centric Civil War issues?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Thor - Blood Oath was pretty damn excellent, and a fairly self-contained story.

As for Iron Man, there's this.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    the Thor - Ages of Thunder one-shot that just came out was also excellent.

And the recently relaunched Thor series by JMS is also quite good (I think it's about 8-9 issues in, so there should be a collection of the first story arc that can catch you up quickly)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    That IM trade I linked to above also has the IM/Cap special issue, which was basically better story-wise than half the rest of Civil War (and all of Frontline, of course).

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Does it have The Confession

The Confession is the most essnetial Iron Man Civil War story

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    No, that's collected elsewhere sadly, I'm pretty sure.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Awesome I'll hunt those down.

Also (Nub Question): "The Confession"?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    'The Confession' was a one-shot comic that followed on from the events of Civil War (and Captain America's series too). It is collected somewhere I think, but I suspect that the comic included in the trade I linked to is the one-shot callled 'Casualties of War', which takes place during CW rather than after it.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Fallingman wrote: »
    Also - I'm fairly new to Iron man, and was wondering if there's a collection of Iron-Man centric Civil War issues?

Here's my post in this very thread about Iron Man and some cool stories about him

Link

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    If I have never read Flash before, and I want to read Flash, is Geoff Johns' run a good place to start?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    its a good place to start and stop

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    No, that's collected elsewhere sadly, I'm pretty sure.

It's in the Iron Man: Civil War TPB, according to the TP List.
    Zeromus wrote:
    If I have never read Flash before, and I want to read Flash, is Geoff Johns' run a good place to start?

It is, but so are the Waid issues. Waid pretty much defined the modern Flash due to his work with the Speed Force, and he was the first writer to really bring Wally into his own as an A-list hero.

Munch on
This discussion has been closed.