As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spore's release date announced: September 08

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Were the plans for giant armies of Wangasauri ever finalized?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hybridzerg wrote: »
    What I want to know is when we get the creature editor demo. I mean it's got to be done by now, right? Hopefully it'll be released a while before the full game comes out.

And we'd better be able to import created creatures from the demo into the full game.

Have they said they're going to release a demo of that? seems an odd decision to release a part of the game like that. It'd be like releasing the character creation screen of an MMO before the MMO was even released.

Lly on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not when you consider their proposed content model. Letting people have the editor would provide them with thousands upon thousands of free creatures to populate their database with before launch. Whether this concept has survived til now is a good question.

I'm.. Guardedly not rushing their headquarters with a flaming pitch fork bridge cow anchor?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Psychedelic Worm ReturnsPsychedelic Worm Returns Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Lly wrote: »
    Hybridzerg wrote: »
    What I want to know is when we get the creature editor demo. I mean it's got to be done by now, right? Hopefully it'll be released a while before the full game comes out.

And we'd better be able to import created creatures from the demo into the full game.

Have they said they're going to release a demo of that? seems an odd decision to release a part of the game like that. It'd be like releasing the character creation screen of an MMO before the MMO was even released.

Yes they have:
    IGN: You're releasing tools with Spore?

Lucy Bradshaw: We're not releasing any underlying tools yet but what we will be doing is releasing a creature creator, a free trial version in advance of the game. That's going to be not only to the community, but that'll go wide.
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/851/851665p2.html

Psychedelic Worm Returns on
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They did a similar thing with the Sims 2, releasing Body Shop before the game was out in stores. It allowed people to make their own sims, and start on their own custom sim clothing. And it builds hype, of course.

I'm excited for Spore still. Maybe not as much as when I saw the first few videos, but I'm hoping it'll be worth the wait. I love sandbox style games.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    BehumatBehumat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The interview that Will Wright did with Wired magazine recently states that they expect to release the creature editor a few months before the release of the game. He goes on to say you can import your creatures into the game and play them, also there will be a little button on the editor that will start flashing green and asking you if you want to buy the game, when it becomes available.

As for the tech specs, you'll note that will wright at the recent NASA demo is still running the game on the same Dell XPS laptop he's been using since 2006. The game looks amazing, and I don't think the requirements will be too onerous.

Behumat on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is pretty awesome.

The fact that one of the first things I'll do is try and create as close of an exact replica of Earth as is possible and reasonable makes me think that I'm a complete loser.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    BehumatBehumat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is pretty awesome.

The fact that one of the first things I'll do is try and create as close of an exact replica of Earth as is possible and reasonable makes me think that I'm a complete loser.

Lol, the Maxis guys beat ya too it. Check out the NASA demo, the last system Will visits is the Sol system. He terraforms Mars. Is it me, or do the little critters running around on mars after he terraforms it look a lot like the aliens in Heinlein's Red Planet?

Behumat on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow. I've been waiting for this game for so long that I stopped expecting it come out at all. And what's even better is that it releases around the time I'll be done with Brawl.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Son of a bitch. Europe is getting this game two days before NA gets it.
    http://kotaku.com/355796/europe-gets-spore-two-days-early

Couscous on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Heh, just read that on Eurogamer.
    Suck it, Yanks.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Eh, they deserve a break every now and then.

Two days early balances out the games we get 2 weeks/2months early, right?

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Suck it, Yanks.

I hope your cover art sucks!

Henroid on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Suck it, Yanks.

So when's Brawl coming out over there? 8-)

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    Suck it, Yanks.

It'd be a first..

edit: and I neither own a Wii, nor am fussed about Brawl. Try again!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    Suck it, Yanks.

It'd be a first..

edit: and I neither own a Wii, nor am fussed about Brawl. Try again!

Ouch, then you lose two ways.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    No.. no, I think I'm fine, but thanks for playing.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Does anyone know if all the content users make is shared? Or is there some kind of quality control? Because i'm fairly certain the world's gamers will be able to produce far more horrifically bad looking content than quality content. This has always been my gripe with user created content. Just look at stuff like mods and player created maps for various games. There are some fantastic ones out there, but most of them are severely lacking. In those scenarios they don't get used by people as noone wants to play crap levels, but it sounds like these just get sucked up into the "universe" and sent to people.

I am only saying this because i plan on experimenting with some ridiculous looking creatures myself, that i wouldn't want to inflict on anyone else's gaming experience!

Lly on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well that's half the fun really.

"What the fuck is that?!?" *Nukes Planet*

-SPI- on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ridiculous looking creatures is the only reason to play!

What is wrong with you?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Any word on the underwater stage? Or underwater critters? Or flying critters? Or, besides from the nebulous "the space game is 30+ hours if you want it, and there's difficulty modes for earlier modes" how long each stage is going to be?

Also, LOL Wikipedia.

There's been this one Wikipedia nazi editor ("This is MY article and YOU CAN'T EDIT IT, NYAH!") who missed the announcement of the Wii version of Spore, so has been rather rudely undoing any edits mentioning it (and yelling at people who add them)... until that Level Up interview yesterday, where they spend about half a page talking about the Wii version, you know, that one they announced months ago?

Bleh. The #1 worst thing about Wikipedia is the "alpha users".

KiTA on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Does anyone know if all the content users make is shared? Or is there some kind of quality control? Because i'm fairly certain the world's gamers will be able to produce far more horrifically bad looking content than quality content. This has always been my gripe with user created content. Just look at stuff like mods and player created maps for various games. There are some fantastic ones out there, but most of them are severely lacking. In those scenarios they don't get used by people as noone wants to play crap levels, but it sounds like these just get sucked up into the "universe" and sent to people.

I am only saying this because i plan on experimenting with some ridiculous looking creatures myself, that i wouldn't want to inflict on anyone else's gaming experience!

You should read the interview on N'Gai Croal's blog Level Up. There's like this huge underlying social networking thing for sharing, rating, tagging content and so forth. So the first categories to be made will probably be 'Butts' and 'Genitalia'. There isn't any QC as far as Wil has said, I think the community will auto-regulate with the rating and tagging.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    harvest wrote: »

You should read the interview on N'Gai Croal's blog Level Up. There's like this huge underlying social networking thing for sharing, rating, tagging content and so forth. So the first categories to be made will probably be 'Butts' and 'Genitalia'. There isn't any QC as far as Wil has said, I think the community will auto-regulate with the rating and tagging.

Personally, I'm hoping there's a category blocker, so you can automatically ignore anything flagged "obscene", "stupid", "hacked", or "lulz".

KiTA on
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I like how the beginning of the teaser has the "content may be inappropriate for children" warning.
    Also, the linked photo album had an interesting "quest" item..."Mate so that you can have a baby!"

The DS version doesn't look very exciting.

Thanks for taking the NASA video!

LightRider on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/02/13/spore_hands-on_preview/1

Pretty decent preview that, once again, glosses over the space portion with no details.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My cliff racers will be the scourge of the galaxy!

Couscous on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cabezone wrote: »
    http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/02/13/spore_hands-on_preview/1

Pretty decent preview that, once again, glosses over the space portion with no details.

Watch the NASA presentation linked a page or two back.
    KiTA wrote: »
    Any word on the underwater stage? Or underwater critters? Or flying critters? Or, besides from the nebulous "the space game is 30+ hours if you want it, and there's difficulty modes for earlier modes" how long each stage is going to be?

Flying creatures are in, so yes expect cliff racers. Underwater creatures is still unknown, but you are supposed to be able to build underwater cities (in domes).

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Wright said that they were planning on taking underwater creatures out, but that was a really long time ago so who know what has changed since then.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    Wright said that they were planning on taking underwater creatures out, but that was a really long time ago so who know what has changed since then.

I really hope that part gets put back in later, I was looking forward to it. Coming out of the primordial soup as a blob strait onto land feels weird.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I wonder how long it will take for a company to bitch when players start creating copies of popular characters.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Do you mean creatures that end up underwater? Or the evolution phase from single cell organism, because that was the bit I was most excited about ...

Lly on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Wow, according to that NASA thing, they made 200 prototypes of SPORE, and the final version is a merger of about 10 of them. o.O

So flying critters are definitely in?

I have every intention of making a horde of cute little spider-things of doom. Or maybe a "jumpstrap" race, that shall then genetically engineer a perfect spider-thing of doom, then use a monolith to force evolve the galaxy's destruction.

Seriously, as small as I can get them, 8 legs (1 pair will have a set of hands instead), with a weapon of some kind on their butts. They'll breed like rabbits, be extremely social and territorial, and viciously warlike. I plan on being the "Oh god, not THESE assholes" again race for the early space game.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Do you mean creatures that end up underwater? Or the evolution phase from single cell organism, because that was the bit I was most excited about ...

You still start out as a single celled organism in water, although back in the day you would then evolve as a underwater creature (like a seal or fish) then evolve lungs and legs to move up on land, if you wanted to. In every video for the past year or so, instead of that, you end up on land as a sea-slug type thing after the single cell game.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I want a Stargate device.

rayofash on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    rayofash wrote: »

One of my planetary creations will like be a central ring like device to simulate a stargate.... I'm going to have a blast meshing Star Wars, Star Trek and Stargate together, among other odd ball creations....

the potentials of this game are pretty much limitless.... You'd be an idiot to not want it...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i still care a lot, but its a laid back kind of theoretical caring about playing it some time in the future. not a get hyped up only to be disappointed when its delayed again kind of caring.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    TheSinisterMinisterTheSinisterMinister Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    rayofash wrote: »

One of my planetary creations will like be a central ring like device to simulate a stargate.... I'm going to have a blast meshing Star Wars, Star Trek and Stargate together, among other odd ball creations....

the potentials of this game are pretty much limitless.... You'd be an idiot to not want it...

Greened for Truth. My Race of flying Wookie insectoids with lightsabers will be unstoppable!.. in their quest to create the most beautiful gardens underground.

TheSinisterMinister on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Your cliff racers may be the scourge of the galaxy but my Doom Rabbits will wash over the universe like a tide of death and decay, purging unbelievers with the swift justice of the afterlife. kneel. Kneel or be destroyed.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Zerglings. I'm going to create Zerglings. It's something that MUST be done.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    on the subject of games with internet propagating avatars, my Miis have wandered to people's Wiis who don't even have my friend code... I saw this creature I created posted on a forum in which I never posted my code:
    hpim00411ak4.jpg

back on the subject of spore, the hype has definitely died down for me (really, it died down about 2 years ago), but if they actually release it sometime this millennium and it's truly an awesome game, I will certainly enjoy it.

DiscoZombie on
This discussion has been closed.