As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spore's release date announced: September 08

fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
Hi, I’m Will Wright and I’m working on a new game called Spore™. You’ve heard of it? Oh, that’s right, you signed up to get the Official Spore Newsletter. According to my notes, we haven’t sent a single newsletter out. Maybe that’s why I’ve been hearing from so many fans wanting some new information on Spore.

While we finish up the game over the next few months, we’ll be sharing more information with you and other fans. As a newsletter subscriber, you’ll be among the first to get new Spore information, screenshots, videos and other cool features from the Spore team. Check out our launch date teaser, and of course you can visit Spore.com for updates anytime.

Thanks again. You’ll hear from us soon.

I don't see the actual date posted anywhere yet, though...

edit1: o, September. /goes back to twiddling thumbs

edit2: what's with his smile in that email announcement? He looks like a little critter himself :P

edit2b: OP sucks, thread sucks.

fadingathedges on

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Better move this to the technology forum, as the offical PA response is that Spore is not a game...

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    yeah, found it. :P

fadingathedges on
    edited February 2008
    Better move this to the technology forum, as the offical PA response is that Spore is not a game...

Whassat?

fadingathedges on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Whassat?

it's a lifestyle

tyrannus on
    edited February 2008
    So in case you're following along from the last time, this is another delay. It was going to be Q2 2008.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Their release day just happens to be the day I vanish for years.

:(Yeeaaars.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This game has been delayed like 3 years. Does anyone really still care about it?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited February 2008
    I've got it back-burner'd in my heart for future enjoyment.

fadingathedges on
    edited February 2008
    I still care :(

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So do I. Very much so.

Doronron on
  • KingGrahamKingGraham Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I still care about it.

I'm sad it won't be this spring, but I'm confident the wait will be worth it.

I'm certainly less "hyped" after all the delays. My excitement is, happily, at a manageable level. September seems as good a time as any I guess.

KingGraham on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This game has been delayed like 3 years. Does anyone really still care about it?

Oh god yes.

Spore fills me with burning desire.

captaink on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    harvest wrote: »

Boo yah! So long as it doesn't get delayed again, I'll have to buy Spore as a birthday present for myself. :P

Nova_C on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

God yes.

Couscous on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I care about Spore like I care about having a threesome. I don't know when it will be, it won't be any time soon, but when it comes....oh yeah.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm still intrigued by it and how it will pan out. But I wouldn't say I'm anticipating it.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    harvest wrote: »

Boo yah! So long as it doesn't get delayed again, I'll have to buy Spore as a birthday present for myself. :P

I bet on September 7th they're gonna say "sorry, delayed until Q4 2010". DNF is gonna be out before this.

BlueDestiny on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How the hell has it been delayed for 3 years? It's not delayed unless it slips past release dates. We first saw it about 3 years ago, sure. I don't remember any promises.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Immensely. I'm just praying that it scales well, and doesn't take a godlike machine to run. It just sounds like something that can be both immensely engrossing as well as something you can just screw around with for a few minutes at lunch or something. Just hope the specs are reasonable. I would love to run it on my laptop and drag it around everywhere with me.

Aoi on
  • AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I care about Spore like I care about having a threesome. I don't know when it will be, it won't be any time soon, but when it comes....oh yeah.

That pretty much sums it up. I like that the email that subscribers got says that there will actually be newsletters now with real information. I completely forgot that I had signed up for it because this is the first one they sent out.

Aiserou on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aw dammit, I was hoping I could abandon PC gaming entirely and avoid having to get back on the hamster wheel of hardware upgrades, but spore is dragging me back in.

Here's hoping the specs are reasonable.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Aw dammit, I was hoping I could abandon PC gaming entirely and avoid having to get back on the hamster wheel of hardware upgrades, but spore is dragging me back in.

Here's hoping the specs are reasonable.

I trust Wright to make a game that doesn't require an insanely powerful computer to run.

Couscous on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Yes. With all of my body.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Duke Nukem Forever to come out before Spore. I'll bet on that.

The_Scarab on
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    PC, Mac and DS? Such a strange combination

Dr Mario Kart on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Duke Nukem Forever to come out before Spore. I'll bet on that.

Hmm...I'm almost tempted to take you up on that.....almost.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited February 2008
    Have they talked about the DS version yet? Is it going to be generally the same game, just scaled down graphically? A bit of a more simplified take on it?

Aoi on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'll believe this when I actually have the game in my hand and insert it into my DS. Until then, I'll just pretend they never announced this release date because it probably won't hold up.

Clint Eastwood on
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, this means more enjoyment with Brawl. I was worried that I would have to be split between the two. And September/October is my birthday season. This is gonna be awesome.

/me cares

LightRider on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, when do we get the Wii version?

Xagarath on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    So, when do we get the Wii version?

All the different versions of Spore are planned to be released around the same time.

rayofash on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

people still care about Duke Nukem Forever. But that's a whole different kind of delusion.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited February 2008

people still care about Duke Nukem Forever. But that's a whole different kind of delusion.

Exactly, all the other release dates were just speculation, this one is official. If you look up about it and read all the recent articles, you can tell they're getting everything ready. Just look at the NASA presentation Will did in January, the game looks incredibly well polished.

rayofash on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't doubt it'll be a good game, but the hype surrounding it is just massive. I don't know if it can live up to it.

Normal games don't get shown off at NASA, for example.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited February 2008
    Out of curiosity, how long ago was Spore originally announced. I know it was a while ago, but it doesn't seem like it was announced quite long enough ago to have been delayed for three years. Even if it was, I still have more faith in this title than I would ever have for DNF. Wright has always taken his time with his games (I remember the original Sims being delayed for quite a while as well), but he always seems to deliver on his promises. I would liken him more to Blizzard with his delays than 3D Realms.

Aoi on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This game scares me. I just know that when it finally gets released I will lose my wife for several weeks.

Wait a minute....

This game just can't get released quick enough. Hurry up Will and take my wife!

Veevee on
    edited February 2008
    Aoi wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how long ago was Spore originally announced. I know it was a while ago, but it doesn't seem like it was announced quite long enough ago to have been delayed for three years. Even if it was, I still have more faith in this title than I would ever have for DNF. Wright has always taken his time with his games (I remember the original Sims being delayed for quite a while as well), but he always seems to deliver on his promises. I would liken him more to Blizzard with his delays than 3D Realms.

It was started in 2001, and was announced in 2005.

rayofash on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You can't compare this to DNF. People have actually played versions of SPORE within the last year.
    I wonder why there is no mention of a Wii version, when Will himself confirmed it will be released on Wii. Hope it's not delayed moreso.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

This discussion has been closed.