As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Totally Badass Speeches That Rock You

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "LETS GO FUCK SOME NAZIS UP!"

-Some Dude

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Han SolomonHan Solomon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hate to be stereotypical and quote Caesar but I always loved this:

Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has 'closed', the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. AND I AM CAESAR.

Han Solomon on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How many in here are actually old enough to remember Reagan? Im 24 and I can remember only bits and pieces of his presidency.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How many in here are actually old enough to remember Reagan? Im 24 and I can remember only bits and pieces of his presidency.

He was so boning Thatcher.

There's an image to scare the kids with.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Obama's main speechwriter is 26 years old. His name is Jon Favreau.

Just a bit of trivia.

Doc on
    edited February 2008
    this is going to lead to the "if you weren't alive, you aren't allowed to have an opinion on x" argument that gets tossed around so often here

You can have any opinion you want... doesnt mean its worth anything.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    The Geek wrote: »
    I've never actually caught any of Barack's speeches.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-iVAPH_EcmQ

here's a recent one

I've actually been meaning to check them out on YouTube, but that site is blocked at my work, my computer at home is currently in a coma, and my wife's computer has a slow connection for some reason and stops downloading YouTube videos about a quarter of the way through. I think she just needs a new network card.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Silmaril wrote: »

If I could find that picture of "Margaret Thatcher's Naughty Bits" from that episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus...

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited February 2008
    this is going to lead to the "if you weren't alive, you aren't allowed to have an opinion on x" argument that gets tossed around so often here

I wasn't alive in the 40s so I'm not allowed to think Hitler was a piece of shit.

oh well

Han Solomon on
    edited February 2008

If I could find that picture of "Margaret Thatcher's Naughty Bits" from that episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus...

Oh god, you just reminded me of Spitting Image.

Fuck I miss that show.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited February 2008

I wasn't alive in the 40s so I'm not allowed to think Hitler was a piece of shit.

oh well

Bad example. Reagans legacy is still up to debate (very recent history). The books pretty much closed on Hitlers legacy.

MistaCreepy on
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    i don't understand how everyone hates thatcher so much and yet she still managed to stay in power for the best part of a thousand years

bongi on
    edited February 2008

oh well

Bad example. Reagans legacy is still up to debate (very recent history). The books pretty much closed on Hitlers legacy.

If I've researched and studied and figured out an opinion on ______ person from the past then it should be just as valid and as someone else that lived there since we're all titled to our opinion.

But since I know nothing about Reagan than that he was an actor and looked silly so I wouldn't join in any arguments since that would just lead to me sounding/feeling stupid as hell but if I were to actually research I think I'd be quite fair to count my opinion.

I was 2 while he was president! yay

Han Solomon on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I remember seeing Reagan's picture on a classroom wall when I was in kindergarden.

I can't say I knew much about the guy at the time, though.

Seriously on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Clearly, this is all the fault of the Romans.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited February 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    i don't understand how everyone hates thatcher so much and yet she still managed to stay in power for the best part of a thousand years

She was awesome.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    Clearly, this is all the fault of the Romans.

When in Rome.....

wait what

Han Solomon on
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

oh well

pretty sure its widely agreed upon on the left that he was basically satan
    It's a good thing that only democrats write history then. I can't wait to read the part about how entering and escalating Vietnam was a great idea.

Pb on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008
    i don't really know enough about thatcher, or indeed really care enough, to know whether she was the best or the worst thing ever

bongi on
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not exactly a speech, but I recently found this on youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=TXEADCFHwlc

it's all the tech quotes from Civilization 4, as read by Leonard Nimoy, in alphabetical order

personal favorites include the Velvet Underground quote for Rock & Roll and "...beep...beep...beep...beep" for Satellites

Scudo on
    edited February 2008
    i don't really know enough about thatcher, or indeed really care enough, to know whether she was the best or the worst thing ever

She did the right thing in the Falklands.

For that, I would forgive anything.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

oh well

pretty sure its widely agreed upon on the left that he was basically satan

Obama seems to have some admiration for what Reagan achieved.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Everything i know about thatcher I picked up from comic books. Warren Ellis, Alan Moore, Morrison, Ennis, and all those other brit writers hated her, so thats good enough for me.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited February 2008
    And regardless of what the "left" thinks he was widely elected by a landslide in both of his elections and is regarded as one of the best presidents. *

* Source
    http://www.pollingreport.com/wh-hstry.htm

Speaking of Reagan... heres some quotes:

"Coersion, after all, merely captures man. Freedom captivates him. "

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

And my personal favorite:

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin. "

MistaCreepy on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited February 2008

i guess

i mean i have family in the falklands

but at the same time it's like a lump of rock on like the other side of the world

bongi on
    edited February 2008
    Scudo wrote: »
    Not exactly a speech, but I recently found this on youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=TXEADCFHwlc

it's all the tech quotes from Civilization 4, as read by Leonard Nimoy, in alphabetical order

personal favorites include the Velvet Underground quote for Rock & Roll and "...beep...beep...beep...beep" for Satellites

The Alpha Centauri quotes were better.

We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

was always my favourite.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you cant take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you’ve got to make it stop! And you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!”[

Aretè on
    edited February 2008

i guess

i mean i have family in the falklands

but at the same time it's like a lump of rock on like the other side of the world

But those are our people.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Actually I seem to remember a fair amount of Democrats come out after Reagan's death and more or less admit that Reagan was right about the Soviet Union and they were wrong.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • skinny87skinny87 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Because goddamit, it might have been a shitty, windswept island with no strategic value where the humans were outnumbered by the sheep.

But by god it was British, and we'd fight to the last to preserve what was left of the Empire.

skinny87 on
    edited February 2008

[Deleted User] on
    edited February 2008
    skinny87 wrote: »

Because goddamit, it might have been a shitty, windswept island with no strategic value where the humans were outnumbered by the sheep.

But by god it was British, and we'd fight to the last to preserve what was left of the Empire.

Huzzah!

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Butters wrote: »
    Actually I seem to remember a fair amount of Democrats come out after Reagan's death and more or less admit that Reagan was right about the Soviet Union and they were wrong.
    because being anti-reagan makes you pro soviet union, apparently

Commucrats.

skinny87 on
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A good martial artist does not become tense but ready. Not thinking yet not dreaming, ready for whatever may come. A martial artist has to take responsibility for himself and face the consequences of his own doing. To have no technique, there is no opponent, because the word "I" does not exist. When the opponent expands I contract and when he contracts, I expand. And when there is an opportunity, "I" do not hit, "It" hits all by itself.

Aretè on
    edited February 2008
    Another good Reagan quote:

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. "

MistaCreepy on
    edited February 2008
    skinny87 wrote: »

Huzzah!

Long Live The Queen!

skinny87 on