As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer: The game of Fantasy Badgers

• Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    High elves win with extreme points efficiency, which is not something a new player to the system can be expected to understand very well. Ogres have like one build and even then they are pretty much maligned by most players.

There are definately armies that a new player would have a very difficult time being competitive with, and there are armies that are easier to use and don't require as much finesse - that makes them ideal for beginners

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    If they're sitting on a hill in your deployment, you might try deploying them 10 wide and 2 deep, and all 20 will get to fire.

Did that, as I said. Reformed ranks to 5x4 and turned so I could shoot at those pesky dark riders coming from the flank.

Echo on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The one viable ogre build is indeed very viable. It just sucks that the army is so horribly cookie cutter.

And my bad, Echo, i missed where you said you had them ranked that way. That sounds like half piss poor rolling and half goblins with shortbows do, in fact, suck.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Empire has brought me my first 7th edition win. I'm pretty impressed at how resilient the army can be; I botched my deployment, but managed to come back in the second half of the game.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dread pirate, definatly get a doom diver, don't cut the spider riders. Either run another chariot, or get your self a unit of boar boys, screen them with the spiders untell you get with in charge range. They should mess most anything up hard. That would be my suggestion.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I now have the new Vampire Counts army book (spearhead). Which is nice.

I also now possess a signed copy of Legion, the next Horus Heresy book (not on general release until early March), all about the Alpha Legion.

So far, six different marines have claimed to be Alpharius. And, like all really good books, it opens with a torture scene....

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    How do you guys deal with light flying units, like Terradons?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Okay, so I have a feeling I'm playing spider riders wrong. I have 15 (five were eaten by my boyfriend's sister's dog R.I.P. spider riders) and I am wondering should I consider to keep them in three small groups or should I solidify them into a big group? Or should I make one 8 or one 7? I find in groups of five they're best for flanking but they die so easily.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh, man.

fuck skinks.

That is all.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Okay, so I have a feeling I'm playing spider riders wrong. I have 15 (five were eaten by my boyfriend's sister's dog R.I.P. spider riders) and I am wondering should I consider to keep them in three small groups or should I solidify them into a big group? Or should I make one 8 or one 7? I find in groups of five they're best for flanking but they die so easily.

Small groups, not meant to kill anything, are probably the best bet. They'll be fast, maneuverable, and will threaten march moves, skirmishers, weapon crews, and fleeing units. They're fast cavalry, correct? This means they won't be effective in straight up combat, even flanking, so should be used entirely as a harrassment or delaying unit.
    Oh, man.

fuck skinks.

That is all.

Seriously. I played an all skinks and dinosaur army last night; luckily his Carnosaur wasn't able to get to grips with much, and my infantry managed to survive long enough to chew through his skinks. It was really close until the last turn or so.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    My 2x5 spider riders went down in flames due to being shot and then charged by dark riders, and the other group ended up charging the front instead of the flank. Yeah, they turned to spider goo.

Echo on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just came from a 199pt warbands day.

Dude came in with just skinks.

Only time anything happened to him was during the final game of the day which was a team game. Where I rolled a six on an animosity check at the best possible time.

And then later in the same game, a single arrer boy whos unit was wiped out but managed to pass his panic test, who I will now refer to as Ramborc, charged into his main unit, fled, and made him run right into a nearby allied unit of Dwarfs with a Thane.

Everything else was basically him running around outside of various units' LOS arcs and whittling them down through poison attacks.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So, I made the mistake of reading Warseer a bit.

Sounds like the Vampire book doesn't specifically state that the Invocation of Nehek (or whatever it's called at the moment) can cast into combat (and thus raise/regenerate fighting units). Despite the fact the book has a description of it being used in combat, people are arguing fucking literal interpretation of what's written.

Fuck tournaments and tournament mentality. I remember when rules lawyers were ostracized for pulling that shit.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    EH? That's odd. Whiner takes all, tho :roll:

Speaking of whining... Playing Skaven is too fucking stressful!. The whole win/assrape scenario resting on whether or not some shooties self-immolate makes me say nasty things. I should have gone with Lizards like I originally intended.

Estilo on
  • Options
    garicgaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I would so love to do a southlands list, with its 175 scouting skink :) but i cant bring my self to pay for and paint that many and i dont want people to hate me.

garic on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »

Sounds like the Vampire book doesn't specifically state that the Invocation of Nehek (or whatever it's called at the moment) can cast into combat (and thus raise/regenerate fighting units). Despite the fact the book has a description of it being used in combat, people are arguing fucking literal interpretation of what's written.

Fuck tournaments and tournament mentality. I remember when rules lawyers were ostracized for pulling that shit.

Er what? There starting argument doesn't even make sense seeing as how all spells can be cast into combat unless magic missiles, or otherwise stated. Jesus its stupid obvious that casting it on units in combat is kinda half the fucking point of the spell.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I'm considering getting into WHFB, but I'm trying to choose between it and 40k for the time being. I played 40k in high school (mostly with 3rd ed.) so have some experience there, but I sold my army, so I'd be starting from scratch with orks.

If I did WHFB, I'd want to start with Wood elves, as it seems like their tactics would appeal to me on a completely different level than da orky boyz. Is that a mistake? Do the Wood elves have any big drawbacks, that I should know about?

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Norgoth wrote: »

Er what? There starting argument doesn't even make sense seeing as how all spells can be cast into combat unless magic missiles, or otherwise stated. Jesus its stupid obvious that casting it on units in combat is kinda half the fucking point of the spell.

Unfortunately, it does. Page 107 of the big book, paragraph 6 after "Casting Spells";
    Wizards cannot cast spells at units engaged in close combat, unless the spell only affects the caster himself or the spell's description specifies otherwise.

GW probably just left out the exception in the new book, or thought a detailed description of how to cast it into combat would be enough.

Estilo- playing skaven is constantly mitigating what your army does to itself. You play as much against your own odds as your opponents; you can mitigate it and maintain something fairly reliable, but you need to lean on big, fast, agressive blocks of troops or overload your shooty stuff (which is not fun to play). I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying them, it always sucks to see when someone gets going on the wrong army for them. Skaven and orcs, especially, aren't armies for beginners or those who want to reliably win.

Perhaps try switching up the list a bit? The more infantry you can field, the more reliable the army is going to be, if you can manage maneuvering a horde.

Fire Truck- Wood Elves are a "denial" army; they don't hit that hard, but they're impossible to pin down. They are a somewhat advanced army, in that you need to utilize the movement and targeting rules; marching, march blocking, reforming, line of sight as much as possible to be successful. I haven't really delved into them in 6th/7th though, so I can't speak to many details.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

C'mon man. You know Lars. Dude can't help it.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    EstiloEstilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Morskittar: I always run a lot of troops. My last game I ran something something like this...

Clanrats x 25, 2 of
    Clanrats x 30 with Chieftain + Dwarf Slayer
    Slaves x 20, 3 of
    Jezzails x 5
    Warpthrower x 2
    Ratling x 1
    2nd Chieftain as general

I just have a knack for rolling abysmally when it really matters. Eg the Chieftain with Dwarf Slayer took out 3 thunderes in as many turns o_O One of my warpthrowers toasted itself on its first turn and the jezzails contribution to the game was a single wound vs a cannon. I am the KING of suck rolls.

Estilo on
  • Options
    The Laughing ManThe Laughing Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    So, I now have the new Vampire Counts army book (spearhead). Which is nice.

I also now possess a signed copy of Legion, the next Horus Heresy book (not on general release until early March), all about the Alpha Legion.

So far, six different marines have claimed to be Alpharius. And, like all really good books, it opens with a torture scene....

No, I'm Alpharius!

I'm highly tempted to eventually pick up Vampire Counts but a part of me says wait till Dark Elves come out and go with that.

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Question re: fanatics.

They asplode if they end their movement inside another unit. However, in this game it ended its movement inside a unit as a reaction to it charging my gobbos. Should it be removed and thus cause another asplotion to the unit it ended up in?

For that game we decided that the charging unit wasn't done with its movement and the fanatic's movement was resolved in the middle of the charge -- it did its damage and then the charging unit completed its charge. Sans two cold ones. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Question re: fanatics.

They asplode if they end their movement inside another unit. However, in this game it ended its movement inside a unit as a reaction to it charging my gobbos. Should it be removed and thus cause another asplotion to the unit it ended up in?

For that game we decided that the charging unit wasn't done with its movement and the fanatic's movement was resolved in the middle of the charge -- it did its damage and then the charging unit completed its charge. Sans two cold ones. :P

Your right. The charge is paused, fanatics are released, damage worked out and the charge continues. Of course if your fanatics go the right distance, he can finish his charge atop one.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Re Wood Elves:
    They're fast, they're fun and you get to do stuff in every phase of the game. They also have the potential for some of the most unfun army lists in the game(I'm looking at you 2xTreeman w/BSB list). They're also very terrain dependant. If all they get is the forest they always bring to they table they will struggle. By the same token, if the table is covered in forests, they will rape all enemies so hard.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You know the female Vampire that comes with the Spearhead?
    You also know how she has this stupid pose where she's holding out a skull/spine for no good reason at all?

I decided that wasn't good enough. Check out the Pimp-Skull Staff:
    IMGP1261.jpg
    (just a bit of brass rod and green stuff, but I reckon the pose makes more sense and looks way more awesome)
    (I think I'll replace this photo when she's painted up properly)

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mr_Rose: Totally awesome, looks really haughty, like a Vampire Count should.

On the subject of Invocation of Nehek cast into combat. I view it the same way that an Anvil of Doom can fire without LOS. Just because the rules do not EXPLICITLY state it, does not mean it isn't true.

In the case of the Invocation, it should be especially obvious since if it couldn't be used on a unit in combat, the spell would be halved in effectiveness, and it's strategic importance rendered near to null.

People and their needless pandering about.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh, holy shit. I've finally seen some of the new models for the Daemon range.

Wow.

I love that the Bloodthirsters are throwbacks to 3rd/RoC/WFRP. All gangly and creepy looking. Why haven't we seen anything Tzeentchian yet?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, I just went to Warseer and skimmed the Rumour roundup. They certainly look pretty awesome. All the new Daemon stuff seems pretty damn awesome. Like you said, the models are really throwbacks to earlier editions while still looking damn fancy.

In other news, my Club officially starts for the year this Friday. Apparently we'll have a bunch of newbies, so we're under instruction of taking fairly friendly armies. So, suggestions for my High Elves? I'll be making a 1k, 1.5 and 2k lists, but I doubt I'll play many games as there's a party that evening for one of the members who's moving interstate. What immediately springs to mind is the standard 20 spears and 10 archers, 1 or 2 RBTs and some Silver Helms to garnish.

List A: 1k points
    Heroes:
    Arandar of Chrace - Noble - GW + Armour of Caledor - 118

Bennan the Star-Caller - Level 2 Mage - Jewel of Dusk - 150

Core:
    25 Spearelves -Full Command & Lion Standard- 275

10 Archers - 110

Special:
    5 Silver Helms - Standard, Champ - 147

6 Shadow Warriors - 96

Rare:
    1 Reaper Bolt Thrower - 100

List B: 1.5k
    Heroes:
    Arandar of Chrace - Noble - GW + Armour of Caledor + Gem of Courage - 128

Core:

10 Archers - 110

Special:

5 Silver Helms - Standard - 131

6 Shadow Warriors - Shadow Walker - 108

6 Shadow Warriors -Shadow Walker - 108

Lion Chariot of Chrace - 140

Rare:
    2 Reaper Bolt Throwers - 200

List C: 2k Points
    Heroes:
    Arandar of Chrace - Prince - GW + Armour of Caledor + Gem of Courage + Vambraces of defence - 238

Core:

14 Archers - 154

Special:

5 Silver Helms - Standard - 131

6 Shadow Warriors - Shadow Walker - 108

6 Shadow Warriors -Shadow Walker - 108

Lion Chariot of Chrace - 140

20 Swordmasters - FC - Banner of Arcane Protection - 355

Rare:
    2 Reaper Bolt Throwers - 200

So, thoughts? honestly, these are pretty much what I usually take, but less magicy at higher points.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ok guys. I've decided that my Plauge Marine army I did for 40k didn't come close enough to killing me and I want to push my sculpting ability farther.
    I think I want to convert a Chaos Dwarf army, but using the Dwarf rules/plastics.

Problem - I don't know *that* much about Chaos Dwarfs. Can someone point me in the right direction or help me get started in making a list? I have a bunch of miners, thunderers and a few slayers at home. I'm going to go pretty cannon/warmachine heavy in this list, since the modeling possibilities are huge (and if i'm not mistaken, Chaos Dwarves build Warmachines better than normal dwarves?)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Double Post!

So after going though the Gallery on this site I have some good ideas.

But I also read through the 'offical' rules on GW's site... They aren't that bad. Anyone have any advice on whether I should proxy the army using Dwarf rules or should I use Chaos Dwarf rules? I kinda want a sorcerer or two.... I'm not too familiar with the Dwarf rules, but I know they don't have much Offensive magic...

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dwarf's don't have any Wizards at all; they have runic weapons which are customisable magic items of all sorts and they have the Anvil of Doom which functions more or less as artillery, firing in the shooting phase rather than the magic phase and allowing no response. Nothing in the book is an actual "magic spell", not even a bound spell.

And if you're going to make a Chaos Dwarf army, you might as well use the Chaos Dwarf rules. That's like saying you're going to convert a bunch of empire guys into zombies and such then continuing to use them as halberdiers or whatever; most people are going to look at you funny if you do.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    His "dwarf rules chaos dwarfs" would be universally tournament legal though.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm liking the Old Chaos Dwarf list more and more.... but I'll probably just limit the units I couldn't use if I were to switch to Dwarf rules. I'll have to go talk to the guys at my local store and see what they say.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    On the other hand, were he to play them a setting that incuded players over age 8, players who have never hit on their opponent, or vertebrates, he'd be just fine in using the Ravening Hordes 6th Edition list. :P

There's too many entertaining units you'd be missing out on with just Dwarfs; Sorcerers, Bull Centaurs, Lords on Tauruses, Earthshakers, Bull Centaur Lords, and the bread to the Dawi Zharr's butter: Hobgoblins.

So grab a Skull Pass box, convert both armies into Chaos Dwarfs, and go to town with braided beards, scale mail, tusks, and tall hats.

Unless you're just going to make them into stunted Chaos warriors; then you're dead to me.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I would love to see Chaos Dwarfs updated, as they just look like a fun "evil" army.

Looking forward to this weekend because I get to go play down at the Battle Bunker in Bellevue or wherever it is. Should be fun to play test my tournament list, and as I promised previously I will try to make at least one battle report of a 2k game.

Alazull on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh jesus, there is a Chaos Dwarf Magic weapon that ignores armour saves and if you take a wound from it, it destroys your armour and shield. Only 70pts! This combined with a 1+ armour save for 30pts.... on a T5 WS7 Lord.... :twisted:

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sounds pretty freaking awesome.

Regular Dwarfs can kind of do the same thing, but don't have a weapon that combines both effects in one.

Alazull on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I'm not sure of a Dwarf Lord's statline, but The Chaos Dward lord is WS7, S4, T5, I4 with 3 Wounds and 4 Attacks for 120 pts. Plus those two items makes him S6 with 5 Attacks and a 1+ save brings him to only 220pts!

And the Sorcerers can take Fire, Metal, Shadow or Death Magic. I'll be converting one of each...

I'm in love.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dwarf Lord is the same, with L 10, and Royal Blood special rule which allows him to make a unit of Hammerers he joins Immune to Fear and Terror and take a unit of Longbeards without taking a unit of Warriors. All this for 145 points.

The main advantages of a Chaos Dwarf Lord would probably be the lower overall cost to make him killy. If you're in the area and do make the conversion I'd be interested in playing against your list.

Alazull on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, the CD Lord is Ld10 as well.

But yeah, I think I can make enough to play with both lists if needed, I'm pretty hyped about the Chaos Dwarf list though...

And if I ever come down to Washington, I'll be sure to look you up for a game :P

Sharp101 on
This discussion has been closed.