Options

Short stories in general and in search of one.

X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I love short stories, because you can start and finish one before going to bed. I love thinking about the events of what happened in the story and adding my own conclusion or thoughts to it as I go to sleep. I recently read through all of Ernest Hemingway's short stories and I absolutely loved them. I also thoroughly enjoyed George Orwell's works (Shooting an Elephant particularly struck me). Rip Van Winkle was a beautiful story, because it painted such a vivid picture of old Appalachia. Does anyone have any recommendations? I prefer late 19th to mid 20th century with a slight bias towards the American authors, but I am open to anything! Did Mark Twain write any short stories? I think I would be ready for something along the lines of his style now.

I also have one particular request:
In 11th grade American literature class we read a short story that I would love to read again. I do remember that the author was someone famous so I hope someone might have read this short story before. I do not know that much about American literature, so I hope one of you English majors has read this story before. I am not sure whether this was a short story or an excerpt from a larger piece. Let me try to describe it:

It was about a traveling circus group that came into a small town on a market day. One of them goes to the market to buy fresh food for the rest of the group. I remember the author going into great detail about what was on offer at each stand. One mental image that i still have today is that of the potatoes that he describes as still having lumps of fresh, moist earth on them. He later visits some of his relatives that live there (i believe it was his brother) who is a butcher and receives a large ham from him as a gift. I remember his brother being described as a stupid, simple, but kind man.

Thank you and add anything you like about stories you have read!

X3x3non on

• Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I recommend the Collected Stories by Tennessee Williams. Sounds like it would be right up your alley.

MrOletta on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    charles de lint has a few short story collections (his earlier works primarily)... they involve characters who known each other and are generally set in teh same world (modern fantasy) but they're still short stories
    he's by far one of my favourite authors

ihmmy on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Twain wrote tons of shorts, he was quite famous for them. I had a collection of his, they were pretty brilliant, must say. And now I have to mention Kurt Vonnegut, because if you haven't, you really, really should.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    lunasealunasea Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Try Roald Dahl too, his short stories are amazing.

lunasea on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    lunasea wrote: »
    Try Roald Dahl too, his short stories are AWESOME.

The collector "kiss kiss" is a good place to start, but any of them will do really. Great stories, characters full of depth, jaw-dropping endings for many of them.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You could try going to book sales and looking for old textbooks....my AP Literature text from high school was nothing but a gigantic book full of short stories and poems.

Taximes on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ambrose Bierce, Jorge Luis Borges, Raymond Carver, Ray Bradbury, Philip Dick, John Updike, Kurt Vonnegut, H.P Lovecraft, John Cheever, Neil Gaiman.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Sherlock Holmes short stories (not the novels) are great - The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, The Return of Sherlock Holmes, etc.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You seem like a prime candidate for a New Yorker subscription - they do short fiction every issue and get the best established and upcoming modern authors to contribute. I love H.P. Lovecraft and Doyle too, but they're a bit pulpy and formulaic after a while - I guarantee you'll enjoy the new yorker. I like http://www.zyzzyva.org/ too.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    George R. R. Martin - Dreamsongs.

Almost 1300 pages. 34 pieces of fiction. It's mainly for GRRM fans, but I've just started it and have been impressed with it. I particularly liked "The Fortress".

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    Twain wrote tons of shorts, he was quite famous for them. I had a collection of his, they were pretty brilliant, must say. And now I have to mention Kurt Vonnegut, because if you haven't, you really, really should.

Seconded. Twain's short stories were not only entertaining, but also frequently had intriguing, thought-provoking and/or controversial themes.

My personal favorite, which I recommend reading, is a *very* short story called "The War Prayer"... you can read it at http://www.ntua.gr/lurk/making/warprayer.html among other places (of course, everything Twain wrote is public domain by now, so you should be able to find most if not all of his stories on the net for free, legally.)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    Director714Director714 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A list of my Favs...

1. Welcome to the Monkey House - Kurt Vonnegut
    2. Bagombo Snuffbox - Kurt Vonnegut
    3. The Illustrated Man - Ray Bradbury
    4. Books of Blood 1-6 - Clive Barker

Also as a short-story nut, I reccomend dipping your toes into Neil Gaiman waters with this short story http://www.neilgaiman.com/p/Cool%20Stuff/Short%20Stories/How%20To%20Talk%20To%20Girls%20At%20Parties, he is a hit or miss kind of author, but if you can dig his metaphores his stories really stupify you.

Director714 on
  • Options
    Mr_AnonymousMr_Anonymous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm currently working my way through a huge volume of American short stories called The New Granta Book of the American Short Story, edited and introduced by Richard Ford. People like Updike, Carver, Cheever, Flannery O'Connor, Proulx et al all feature. Not sure if it's available in America though, ironically. Worth keeping an eye out for it - just came out as a hardback.

Mr_Anonymous on
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_American_Short_Stories

Very much worth buying once a year. Or at the very least checking it out of the library.

Locus on
  • Options
    Ado-sanAdo-san Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes stories).

and Edgar Allan Poe (short stories and poetry) is a particular favourite of mine. I'm sure you know him - early 19th century. Most of his work is quite dark but focuses on mysteries and the supernatural. Certainly influenced his share of great writers I think.

Ado-san on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Can't help you with your search for that particular story, but some recommendations in general:

Flannery O'Connor - My favorite author, and definitely seems to fit the bill for your interests. I would recommend reading "A Good Man Is Hard to Find" and "The Life You Save May Be Your Own." O'Connor was a Southern Gothic author writing in the '40s with a penchant for the grotesque.

O. Henry - One of the "kings" of American short stories, he is well know for his twist-endings. I'd read "Gift of the Magi" first, but the guy wrote over 400 short stories, many of which are great.

Ray Bradbury - Another one of my favorites. He's got some really crazy stories that would definitely fuel some interesting dreams if you read right before bed.

I would also recommend Dubliners by James Joyce. I'd read the stories in order, as well. "The Dead" (the final story in the book) is one of the best works of fiction ever written.

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ursula LeGuin! Really, I find short-story science fiction to be much better than sci-fi novels. Mileage may vary and all that.

If you've never read the Russians, you might like those, too. Try Chekhov.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Mysterious Stranger - Mark Twain

One day, during the middle ages, a group of boys are resting upon a hill and conversing with one another when they are approached by an attractive young man with a charming smile. He sits next to them as if he has known them all their lives and when they ask him what his name is, he replies that his name is "satan." A very interesting story on human nature ensues.

A Good Man is Hard to Find - Flannery O'Conner
    What happens when a family is traveling and their car breaks down, only to encounter one of the most notorious serial killers in the area? Another great story.

I recommend the Norton Anthology of Short Stories.

t5418.jpg

You can find the mysterious stranger here:

http://www.shsu.edu/~eng_wpf/authors/Twain/Mysterious-Stranger.htm

A pretty awesome excerpt from a scene...
    "What are you laughing at? Answer! Moreover, please explain to the company why you threw no stone."

"Are you sure I did not throw a stone?"

"Yes. You needn't try to get out of it; I had my eye on you."

"And I - I noticed you!" shouted two others.

"Three witnesses," said Satan: "Mueller, the blacksmith; Klein, the butcher's man; Pfeiffer, the weaver's journeyman. Three very ordinary liars. Are there any more?"

"Never mind whether there are others or not, and never mind about what you consider us - three's enough to settle your matter for you. You'll prove that you threw a stone, or it shall go hard with you."

"That's so!" shouted the crowd, and surged up as closely as they could to the center of interest.

"And first you will answer that other question," cried the blacksmith, pleased with himself for being mouthpiece to the public and hero of the occasion. "What are you laughing at?"

Satan smiled and answered, pleasantly: "To see three cowards stoning a dying lady when they were so near death themselves."

You could see the superstitious crowd shrink and catch their breath, under the sudden shock. The blacksmith, with a show of bravado, said:

"Pooh! What do you know about it?"

"I? Everything. By profession I am a fortune-teller, and I read the hands of you three - and some others - when you lifted them to stone the woman. One of you will die to-morrow week; another of you will die to-night; the third has but five minutes to live - and yonder is the clock!"

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    George R. R. Martin - Dreamsongs.

Almost 1300 pages. 34 pieces of fiction. It's mainly for GRRM fans, but I've just started it and have been impressed with it. I particularly liked "The Fortress".

Sandkings ftw.

Also:
    Kurt Vonnegut - Bagumbo Snuff Box and Welcome to the Monkey House
    Stephen King - Skeleton Crew
    Richard Connell - The Most Dangerous Game
    Richard Matheson - I am Legend. The copy I have has a bunch of other short stories in it, like Stir of Echoes.
    Neil Gaiman - Fragile Things

The greatest short story book of all time has to be Roger Zelazny's 'The Last Defender of Camelot". If you're into audio books try to find a copy of that read by the dude that played Odo on DS9. It's amazing.

Edit: This is Neil Gaiman's short story "Goliath" and was written after the first Matrix movie and ment to fit in that universe. http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/cmp/neil_g.html

Fellhand on
  • Options
    TheungryTheungry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Its all about Jack London. I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned him already. My personal favorite is "A Piece of Steak"

Theungry on
    Unfortunately, western cultures frown upon arranged marriages, so the vast majority of people have to take risks in order to get into relationships.
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Theungry wrote: »
    Its all about Jack London. I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned him already. My personal favorite is "A Piece of Steak"

'To Build A Fire' really turned me off from him. Still, very talented writer.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Specific Stories from 2007 I've Read Recently, and Enjoyed:

Stab - Chris Adrian
    Jakob Loomis - Jason Ockert
    Riding the Doghouse- Randy DeVita
    Toga Party- John Barth

Sueve on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Locus wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_American_Short_Stories

Very much worth buying once a year. Or at the very least checking it out of the library.

Very much agreed. I buy this, and the Mystery edition.

Sueve on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You should read any collection of stories by T.C Boyle.

Sam on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "Harrison Bergeron" by Vonnegut. Probably my favorite short.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Either of Neil Gaimans collections are great. Fragile Things was already mentioned, the other is Smoke and Mirrors.

There was a mention of Skeleton Crew by Stephen King. Again, I think all of King's collections are brilliant. Not every story mind you, but I can't think of one collection that didn't have at least one brilliant story if not more.

I just finished Joe Hill's collection, 20th Century Ghosts and it's amazing. Horrifying, hauntingly beautiful and at times heartbreaking. Just....I don't know man. It's awesome.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You'll find something near five million anthologies stamped "Asimov" that are usually items of quality.
    The Pearl is more of a novella than a short story, I guess, but read it anyway.

My absolute favorite book of all time is The Pacific [and other stories] by Mark Helprin . I simply can't say enough good things about it.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178