As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Awesome places in the world (probably NSF56k)

ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
edited February 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I have a curious attraction towards places that are far away. Sometimes when I'm bored I find myself looking at a world map or something and wondering what life on <insert remote place name here> would be like.

I think it's kinda sad that I'm 23 yet I'm already thinking about where I'd move for retirement. :P

Maybe I'm not the only one who is like this. So I thought I'd make a thread. With pictures. Here are three remote (and maybe exotic) places that at some point in life I'd like to visit and live in for a few years at least. Of course your definition of "awesome" may be different so feel free to share your own places, preferably with pictures!

Falkland Islands

Map
Falklands.jpg

Located 300 miles off the coast of the southern tip of South America, Falkland Islands are an archipelago consisting of two big islands and about eight hundred smaller islands. They are a self-governing Overseas Territory of the UK.

Wikipedia entry.

Awesome things about them:

- There are only three thousand people on the islands.
- The islands are close enough to Antarctica that there are penguins on them! Penguins!
- The islands have only one eye doctor that visits only once a couple of years so if you're an eye doctor you'll be treated as god there. :P

Pictures (shamelessly stolen from the wikipedia entry):
800px-Camp-Settlement.jpg
--
800px-Gypsy-Cove.jpg
--

Chile

map_chile.jpg

Chile is a country in South America that sits between the Andes Mountains and the Pacific Ocean. It commands the longest shoreline in South America: some 4000km long. The country spans from tropical regions all the way south to arctic regions, and as such each of the 15 regions of the country are fairly different from one another.

Awesome things:

- Longest country in the world! Amazing diversity in geography (see pics).
- The least corrupt country in South America. Unlike the rest the country is run really well.
- I tried a pisco once and it's amazing.
- Their traditional dance, The Cueca, looks fun. :P

Wikipedia entry.

Pictures:
photo_lg_chile.jpg
--
450px-Moai_Rano_raraku.jpg
--
chile-rafting-9.jpg
--
Santiago_en_invierno.jpg

---

Anyway I'd like to list more but I'm out of time. So I'll just make this OP and let you guys post your own stuff.

Rules:
- Spoiler images if they are big
- List some facts about the place you're posting about
- Talk about your travel experiences if you have any!

Have at it.

ege02 on

• L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fjords are pretty fucking awesome. Norway:
    Geirangerfjord_%286-2007%29.jpg
    Preikestolen_view_left.png
    Sognefjord%2C_Norway.jpg

New Zealand (Fiordland, on the west coast of South Island):
    MilfordSound.jpg
    Fiordland_Lake_Marian.jpg
    (^lake in a glacial valley, not a fiord, but still awesome)
    Doubtful_Sound_Deep_Cove.jpg
    1.8MB panorama of Milford Sound
    Milfordsound.jpg
    (Typical west coast weather^)
    Milford_Sound_Storm.jpg

MOD EDIT: large gifs need to be linked, not simply spoiled. They still pre-load when under spoilers.

L|ama on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    L|ama wrote: »
    New Zealand (Fiordland, on the west coast of South Island):
    MilfordSound.jpg
    Fiordland_Lake_Marian.jpg
    (^lake in a glacial valley, not a fiord, but still awesome)
    Doubtful_Sound_Deep_Cove.jpg
    1.8MB panorama of Milford Sound
    Milfordsound.jpg
    (Typical west coast weather^)
    Milford_Sound_Storm.jpg

I was lucky enough to see these. It's a fantastic experience. They generally take the tour boats right up under the waterfalls.

I was in New Zealand for almost two weeks and loved every minute of it. You can drive from a temperate climate to a rainforest to a glacier in a DAY.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
    edited February 2008
    Heh yeah it's pretty awesome how that first pic is from sea level and shows snow right there, like 50 metres sideways from the shore. Always wanted to go to fiordland, but I haven't been right to the coast (closest I've been is Te Anau. Pretty impressive display of nature's power and all that.

L|ama on
  • [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I haven't traveled much of anywhere; furthest away I've been from Arkansas is Utah for a wedding. Still, a couple of places have piqued my interest:

Like L|ama already said, fjords are really impressive. I'm not sure if I'd actually stand on it, but Kjeragbolten in Norway would be fun to see. It's something like a 1000 meter drop down.
    DSCN2991A_1024pix.jpg

Antarctica might be fun to see...it'd just be something completely different from anything else I've ever seen. Big boat ride over scary waters, see some penguins and seals, run around on some glaciers.
    http://williamclydesmith.googlepages.com/2007-02-28amPenguin.JPG/2007-02-28amPenguin-full.jpg
    http://williamclydesmith.googlepages.com/2007-03-01pmArticWonderland.JPG/2007-03-01pmArticWonderland-full.jpg
    (Not in image tags because they're 3000 x 2000 pictures)

[Michael] on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    [Michael] wrote: »
    I haven't traveled much of anywhere; furthest away I've been from Arkansas is Utah for a wedding. Still, a couple of places have piqued my interest:

Like L|ama already said, fjords are really impressive. I'm not sure if I'd actually stand on it, but Kjeragbolten in Norway would be fun to see. It's something like a 1000 meter drop down.
    DSCN2991A_1024pix.jpg

Antarctica might be fun to see...it'd just be something completely different from anything else I've ever seen. Big boat ride over scary waters, see some penguins and seals, run around on some glaciers.
    http://williamclydesmith.googlepages.com/2007-02-28amPenguin.JPG/2007-02-28amPenguin-full.jpg
    http://williamclydesmith.googlepages.com/2007-03-01pmArticWonderland.JPG/2007-03-01pmArticWonderland-full.jpg

Holy fuck, my heart dropped to my knees just looking at it. I opened the spoiler, my heart skipped a few beats and I closed it. There is no way I could ever see myself just standing there like that. As beautiful as it may be... Fuck no. I can't even bring myself to re-open the spoiler for a second look.

Veevee on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Veevee wrote: »

DSCN2991A_1024pix.jpg

Holy fuck, my heart dropped to my knees just looking at it. I opened the spoiler, my heart skipped a few beats and I closed it. There is no way I could ever see myself just standing there like that. As beautiful as it may be... Fuck no. I can't even bring myself to re-open the spoiler for a second look.

I blame movies. We're trained to think, "Convenient rock perched precariously over a thousand meter drop? No fucking way. That thing ain't gonna last five minutes."

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Looking at the last picture in the Chili group, reminds me exactly how terribly ignorant I am to everything. I would have never guessed Chili looked anything like that. Just beautiful.

Lail on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Adrien wrote: »

DSCN2991A_1024pix.jpg

I blame movies. We're trained to think, "Convenient rock perched precariously over a thousand meter drop? No fucking way. That thing ain't gonna last five minutes."

This is true, but I think there are many of us my self included that can't stand being that close to a massive drop off like that with out expierncing vertigo. I can't get close to a ledge at the top of the space needle in San Antonio with out freaking out.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• thewildroverthewildrover Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I feel the pain of all you victims of vertigo, for a while i refused to go on a roller coaster because just looking at how high up it went made me dizzy. if you're ever interested in getting over it then the best way is to just put yourself through it (not in any way that can put you at risk of injury like going up to an unsafe ledge of a cliff or something stupid like that)

it's kinda like having alcohol for the first time, at first it's bitter work putting yourself through it, but eventually you'll aquire the taste and appreciate the views and experiences if you know what i mean

as for places i want to go? new zealand's already been said but i'll be damned if it's not way up on my to see list, same with norway which also has already been said. i've already seen alot of europe so i'd like to go further east, china, japan, thailand would all be very nice. oh and the easter islands i definitly want to go there

thewildrover on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008

DSCN2991A_1024pix.jpg

I can look at it but the bottoms of my feet hurt when I do it.

What's funny is that my boyfriend would love to stand there. AND THEN JUMP OFF IT WITH A PARACHUTE.

Medopine on
  • ApathyKillsApathyKills __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't think it's the influence of movies so much as logic and a sense of self preservation.

I had no idea chile was so beautiful. I know a few people who have visited/lived there and now I can understand why.

ApathyKills on
    deleted courtesy orikae
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Great Barrier Reef is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Fencingsax on
    edited February 2008
    What seems worse is looking to his left... screw climbing up that. I've been on the edge of a hill that I had to hold onto the grass to climb up with rocks at the bottom with about a 10 metre drop, and that made me feel like I was about to die enough. I don't think I have an irrational fear of heights, a bit on the self preservation side of things if anything.

L|ama on
  • ThaumaturgistThaumaturgist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wadi Rum, Jordan. This place:
    jordan022.jpg

Awesome.

Thaumaturgist on
    XBL: Abiff PSN: Thaumaturgist
    http://www.suboptimist.com
    edited February 2008
    Make sure not to walk rhythmically.
    That is pretty much exactly how I pictured Dune when I read it, odd.

L|ama on
  • SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    I can look at it but the bottoms of my feet hurt when I do it.

What's funny is that my boyfriend would love to stand there. AND THEN JUMP OFF IT WITH A PARACHUTE.

Holy crap, I thought I was the only whose feet did this. Also I would totally base jump off of that.

Sami on
  • matisyahumatisyahu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNF_P281Uu4

Check that video at 3:07 for some guy dancing on top of that rock. Also a lot of other awesome places in the world in that video.

matisyahu on
    i dont even like matisyahu and i dont know why i picked this username
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The Great Barrier Reef is one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Oh my yes.

Casual Eddy on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    matisyahu wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNF_P281Uu4

Check that video at 3:07 for some guy dancing on top of that rock. Also a lot of other awesome places in the world in that video.

Where the hell is Matt is great hahah.

ege02 on
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wadi Rum, Jordan. This place:
    jordan022.jpg

Awesome.

The colours in that photo remind me of inland Australia. Red sand as far as you can see.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    New Zealand always looks stunning. Those photos of the typical weather look amazing - so creepy and atmospheric.

A favourite of mine that I've actually visited (really, just about every country has some stunning views and fascinating geology) is Delphi, in Greece. It's very remote and exceptionally quiet in the off-peak season. Although it's well known, not many people at all actually live or visit there. I love the combination of mountains + thousands-year-old history.

Bad scanned photos:

greece_05.jpg

greece_06.jpg

Still, google images has even worse photos. It seems to be a really hard place to capture, but it was amazing in person.

Janson on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, I seriously need to get my ass to Australia/New Zealand. Milford Sound and the Great Barrier Reef are top ranked in my "need to see" list.

I've been to Norway and yes the fjords are amazing.

Another very beautiful place is Ireland. In my 2 years overseas, I still maintain my best pictures are from the emerald isle. Here's some samples
    Cliffs of Mohr in Galway, Ireland
    211069563_094f8d501c_b.jpg
    Taken at Killkenny Castle
    73164296_4d90319400_b.jpg
    73164277_5d05d1d9f1_b.jpg
    Christ Church cathedral in Dublin
    73163813_45c6505b88_b.jpg
    Blarney Castle
    73164712_a4f4b62438_b.jpg
    73165031_7236102814_b.jpg
    View from the top of Blarney Castle
    73164605_96d4172538_b.jpg

You can tell why the Irish love Green so much. Seriously, such a beautiful country.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • SpecularitySpecularity Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Are you sure that first picture of the Falkland Islands isn't of Nebraska? Seriously, that's what it looks like ten minutes outside the city.

I absolutely second Greece -- even the more popular places like Mykonos and Santorini are just gorgeous. Plus, check this out:
    little-venice.jpg

"Little Venice" on Mykonos, all those little shops and buildings right over the water. I'd love to live in one of those. I absolutely love the buildings in Santorini, right near the water, how they're all just stacked up the hillside:
    07santorini600.1.jpg

Specularity on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    n5200331_38074644_1864.jpg

Mount Fuji is absolutely breathtaking from afar and near. Seriously. Go when it's not raining, go to station six or so, and just stare down.

I didn't take any pictures from the mountain because I was too busy gawking.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey, OP, I've been to Chile and had a Chilean exchange student living at my house for 3 months.

It's a pretty cool place. Santiago, the capital, is nice, but not very exciting. It's very stable and modern. The people there have a lot of money, but there are some very sizable shanty towns just outside it's borders. You do get amazing views of the Andes from pretty much anywhere in town.

I also visited Valparaiso and Vina del Mar, which are two towns on the coast about an hour and a half drive from Santiago. Valparaiso is a very cool city. It's much older and much more unique, but also more seedy than Santiago. It's built on hills, so the streets wind around a lot like a medieval town in Europe, but the architecture's mainly Victorian. The houses are painted really nice reds and yellows and blues. The flatter part of the town closer to the water has a lot of older European style buildings, but many of them have been destroyed by earthquakes and rebuilt upon themselves in newer styles, very interesting. Also, there are funiculars scattered around the city, which are these awesome turn-of-the century up-hill trams that get you up and down the hills.

Vina del Mar is pretty much a resort town for the Santiago elite. It's full of casinos and high-class hotels and apartment blocks. That said, the coastline there is completely breathtaking.

I haven't been too far out from the main cities, but from what I hear it's very under-developed compared to the Santiago area, but also beautiful. I definitely want to visit again to see more of the country some time.

Pictures (GIS, not mine):

Santiago
    chile_santiago_andes.jpg

image?id=79572&rendTypeId=4
    (Yeah, there's a good amount of smog there)

Valparaiso
    valparaiso_day01_06.jpg

257334321_f3365dc204.jpg

I wish I could find my pictures and show you guys some of the awesome graffiti in Valparaiso. The place is covered in it.

Food on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Cappadocia, in Turkey:
    cappadocia_17.jpg

Sumela Monastry, Trabzon, Turkey:
    sumela.jpg

Pamukkale (translates as "Cotton Castle"), in Turkey:
    pamukkale-01.jpg

ege02 on
    edited February 2008
    Guangxi province, China
    guilin.jpg

Food on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Where's Lu Bu?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Food wrote: »
    stuff about chile

I thought I was the only person who'd ever been to Valparaiso. I was only there for a day or so, but it seemed like a really nice city, and it's really cool how the city adapts to going up and down mountainsides. And there are sea lions, which makes me happy. I've travelled a bit in South America, I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of Macchu Picchu and the Galapagos. (both are incredible)

Crimson King on
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Walk without rhythm and you won't attract the worm.

Fix'd!

I'll second Ireland. I don't have any pictures of my own, but I'll try to search up some suitable images of a few Awesome Places I saw.

Dun Aengus, on Innismore:
    http://www.conference.ie/imageupload/Dun_Aengus.jpg

Notice that it is actually on a substantial cliff:
    http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~aburnham/bigpic14/dun_aengushi.jpg

And surrounded by what Wikipedia calls a karst landscape:
    http://oasis.halfmoon.jp/extphoto2/ie2_photo/p9130306.jpg

The dense rocks you see around the fort in the first image are also really cool close up. They're slender rectangular blocks placed densely but irregularly so that they all point at various angles up and away from the fort.

The Burren, north of Galway:
    ]Wikipedia pulls through with perfect pictures! And informs me that the Burren is also a karst landscape.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commonsBROKEN FOR HUGE/9/97/Burren_0513.JPG
    Ugly and depressing -- but wait!

More Burren:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/45/Megalithic_Passage_Tomb.jpg/800px-Megalithic_Passage_Tomb.jpg
    Much of the burren is GREEN between the rocks. Sidenote, I saw that tomb. And as a result you get stuff like:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a3/Flowers_in_the_burren.jpg/800px-Flowers_in_the_burren.jpg
    The Burren is home to like A MILLION different species of flowers. And you can pasture cows in it, if you can lead them between the very tiny patches of pastureland.

What you're missing here is a picture of the part of the Burren that has huge, rolling, Irish-style hills, crisscrossed at random with really random and incredibly long stone walls. These were built with Irish labor at British behest and had no purpose other than to keep the natives busy. They're sad and eyecatching -- it's too bad I can't find a picture.

Ege, I'm really liking those Turkey pictures. My favorite is Sulema Monastery. :^:

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    edited February 2008
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Stuff about karst.

Actually the picture I posted of Guangxi in China is karst, and so are the ones from Turkey that other guy posted.

From my limited understanding, karst basically means that the bedrock, or at least a significant portion of the bedrock in an area is made up of a type of rock that's particularly susceptible to erosion. It usually results in some bad ass landscapes.

Food on
    edited February 2008
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Walk without rhythm and you won't attract the worm.

Fix'd!

I was trying to allude to it more subtly :?

L|ama on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Janson wrote: »
    New Zealand always looks stunning. Those photos of the typical weather look amazing - so creepy and atmospheric.

A favourite of mine that I've actually visited (really, just about every country has some stunning views and fascinating geology) is Delphi, in Greece. It's very remote and exceptionally quiet in the off-peak season. Although it's well known, not many people at all actually live or visit there. I love the combination of mountains + thousands-year-old history.

Bad scanned photos:

greece_05.jpg

greece_06.jpg

Still, google images has even worse photos. It seems to be a really hard place to capture, but it was amazing in person.

I've got a few pictures of Delphi that turned out pretty well. I can upload them if you'd like.

SirUltimos on
  • AstnsAstns Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Rub’ al Khali (Empty Quarter): Saudi Arabia/Oman/Yemen/United Arab Emirates.

The biggest 'sand sea' in the world, The Empty Quarter proper is the size of France and is totally uninhabited, it boasts dune forms and other landscapes that are found nowhere else.

Theres a cool little presentation on the national geographic site with some really stunning imagery:http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0502/sights_n_sounds/media2.html

Photos:
    aerial-gs1.jpg
    zm_zoomin.1.2.jpg
    empty-quarter-dunes-765958-lw.jpg

Pretty awesome imo.

Astns on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Almost anywhere in the Maldives, but the politics are dodgy.
    2000411133227216335_th.jpg
    - view from where I was staying.
    2000465188540778844_th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    - another bit of the island

Hong Kong, Aberdeen
    2000412584939297079_th.jpg

More Hong Kong
    2000412991626081434_th.jpg

Sri Lanka
    2000457589483743208_th.jpg

Kandy - old capital of Sri Lanka
    2000487466743975128_th.jpg

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've just got back from NZ and I spent a fair bit of time in the central South Island - which is about 300 km from Fiordland (see above) and is almost totally different - imagine crazy burnt brown hills and deep blue mountain lakes. Hey, why imagine!

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/348910.jpg

Man I love Google Earth and the user produced photos linked in it

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow... that's really freaking nice man.

oldmanken on
    edited February 2008
    Yea, it really is a great area. I grew up in the same province as Wanaka, called Otago and the sheer diversity of the landscape always amazes me. Drive two hours east from Wanaka and one can be in the midst of lush green farmland that wouldn't look out of place in say Ireland and drive through a succession of small fishing ports and towns. Makes me pretty friggen homesick sometimes when I think about it!

If you look to the upper left of the photo linked above, that is one of the areas where a bit of the first LOTR film was filmed. A whole bunch of other scenes were filmed not far from here as well.

Kalkino on
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like my home state:
    Virginia
    mountains.jpg

marble1.jpg

marble3.jpg

va7.jpg

va5.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited February 2008
    great photos - although I'm coming to conclusion that are many beautiful places about so this thread is like shooting fish in a barrel. Perhaps we should post really ugly places instead?

Kalkino on