The holiday hangout will go online tomorrow! If there's anything in the regular subforums that you're going to want to access over the holidays, copy it now while it's still accessible.
Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

New Comic - Feb. 18, 2008

• arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2008
    I feel a little sad about understanding the metaphysics of star wars

There were a couple gems in New Jedi Order.

Specifically-Star By Star/the Allston books

glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    the metaphysics are not hard

the force = deus ex machina

the new jedi order had too much angst. star wars should not have angst (episode II & III had same problem)

filefile.jpg
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2008
    Really.

Star Wars books should basically just consist of Wraith Squadron's antics

glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • VeretasVeretas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gabe's expression in panel 3

edited February 2008
    i could never get into any fighter squadron stuff of any sort

its all

"[Pilot] dodged out of the sights of the x-wing/coral skipper/tie fighter, powered up his/her thrusters and then PEW PEW PEW"

boring

filefile.jpg
  • SeriouslySeriously ˈpɛrɪ ˌdɒt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I stopped reading them around the time New Jedi Order started up.

Everyone just kept getting older, in every sense.

EDIT: JUKE JUKE JUKE

iq16sKi.png
  • SabreMauSabreMau Still featuring glasses. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    In other places, it's all:

Tomer: "What's this?"
    Cabinet: "Wt's ths?"
    Wedge: "Cabinet."
    Tomer: "I know it's a cabinet, but it's talking."
    Cabinet: "...ts tlkng"
    Janson: "Oh, that. It's the Cartaan Minister of Crawling Into Very Small Spaces."
    Tycho: "He bet Wedge he could fold himself in that cabinet, around the shelves and all."
    Hobbie: "Never bet against Wedge. The Minister gets to stay in there until he admits that it was a stupid bet and that Wedge doesn't owe him anything."

1yrxP.jpgmXcqC.jpgtYRm1.jpg
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Knees are all over the place!

Averylistensig_zpsbaf5e2c6.gif
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Janson wrote: »
    There are a couple of fun EU books and the games are good

I like the universe, and some of the concepts

but the vast majority of the books are really poor

Yes, so is their artistic interpretation of black people.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I liked a set of books about Honor Harrington when I was younger. I don't know if they hold up. They were more about frigate/cruiser level combat.

sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    In which Obi Wan deals with his agoraphobia

do not ask for whom the snerd tolls
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Box Groin

steam_sig.png

I pronounce it bee-log. Most recent entry: VIDEO GAMES: GUNPOINT, OR A SCIENTIFIC STUDY ON WHAT HAPPENS WHEN GLASS MEETS TROUSERS.
    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/TheJohnDarc
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    an other EU comic? :\

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • November6November6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Seriously how many times will Tycho step on on Div's "chord". What pain unimaginable would Div feel with out his "chord"?

fucos: Past tense of focus, you have already lost focus that you can't even spell focus. Can be combined with shit for impressing anonymous crowds; fucoshit. source: Wil Weaton
  • FramlingFramling Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like the EU. Because I like somewhat trashy sci-fi. I also love making fun of Kevin J. Anderson.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, if you like trash, then you have turned to the right place!

hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
    edited February 2008
    Oh, Defender, you have solidly burned the Star Wars Extended Universe!

Congratulations, you pinnacle of manhood, you shining example of unadulterated masculinity!

How does he do it? Long has the Star Wars EU gone unattacked! Long has it been regarded as unassailable! But Defender doesn't take 'impossible' for an answer!

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

there = not here
    they're = they are
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    framling loves trash so much he married it ahahahahahaha ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

edited February 2008
    Framling wrote: »
    Oh, Defender, you have solidly burned the Star Wars Extended Universe!

Congratulations, you pinnacle of manhood, you shining example of unadulterated masculinity!

How does he do it? Long has the Star Wars EU gone unattacked! Long has it been regarded as unassailable! But Defender doesn't take 'impossible' for an answer!

Yes, that was really the absolute best attack that I could make, and it took months to plan! I'm glad to see that you were impressed, since I am very deeply concerned about your opinions. I mean, who wouldn't be, right?

I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
    edited February 2008

Jesus, Rank. I was drinking! Have some decency!

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

SICK BURN

7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
    edited February 2008
    sorry weaver

Weaver?

edited February 2008
    Defender wrote: »
    sorry weaver

Weaver?
    I was drinking!

edited February 2008
    I'm just saying, I like Star Wars. And I get tired of evertime someone mentions the EU, someone else has to come in and go "The EU is so totally gay, Boba Fett died, okay, get over it."

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

there = not here
    they're = they are
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    man gabe's foot that's closer to us is on an even level with tycho's farther foot and gabe's upper body relative to tycho's implies that he's in the foreground and GOD MY BRAIN IS EXPLODING

PqhbDd2.png
    My Youtube My Steam SMITE IGN: TDOTCRFH4 come SMITE with me
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Sometimes you just don't care about worrying about perspective.

zappsigsm.jpg
    Amazon wish list | Please check out my wife's blog and jewelry store.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Boba Fett dies?

That's not nearly as upsetting to me as the fact that they apparently made him get married and have kids.

edited February 2008
    sorry weaver

Weaver?
    I was drinking!

AWWWW DAAAAAAAYUM
    Framling wrote: »
    I'm just saying, I like Star Wars. And I get tired of evertime someone mentions the EU, someone else has to come in and go "The EU is so totally gay, Boba Fett died, okay, get over it."

Yeah, I like Star Wars, too. Someday I'm hoping they make episodes one through three, because it would be bad ass to see how Anakin turns evil.

Also, if you don't like people pointing out that you like terrible things, don't eat turds with a spoon in public.

edited February 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Boba Fett dies?

In Return Of The Jedi, that's what I think he means. He gets pulled into the Sarlaac (sp?), the big mouth-thing in the desert, and it's implied that once you get pulled in there, you will never get back out.

edited February 2008
    Boba Fett dies?

In Return Of The Jedi, that's what I think he means. He gets pulled into the Sarlaac (sp?), the big mouth-thing in the desert, and it's implied that once you get pulled in there, you will never get back out.

Oh, yeah. Even though I think it was kind of a weak death (woops, blind guy bumped into my back) I think it's even weaker for him to have survived it because of his armor.

I mean, I know it's mandalorian or whatever, but if you look at him most of his body is covered in just cloth.

edited February 2008
    Boba Fett dies?

I can't even fucking believe I'm going to get into this conversation, but I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that a dude with a goddamn jetpack and laserguns couldn't possibly get out of a monster that digests you over the course of a bunch of years.

god, I feel filthy right now.

edited February 2008
    Don't forget the flamethrower, that could be have been the key Rank.
    Spoiler:

• mullymully Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i can't look at that second panel as anything but them holding hands
    i just can't see it any other way

edited February 2008
    Boba Fett dies?

I can't even fucking believe I'm going to get into this conversation, but I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that a dude with a goddamn jetpack and laserguns couldn't possibly get out of a monster that digests you over the course of a bunch of years.

Don't worry. You get used to the filth. It becomes an old friend in time. On friday nights you turn to the filth and ask it if you should perhaps clean up and go hang out with friends, but it silently rubs your thigh and tells you no, no.

You have the Thrawn Trilogy to finish.

filefile.jpg
  • BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Red Bird wrote: »
    Boba Fett dies?

Don't worry. You get used to the filth. It becomes an old friend in time. On friday nights you turn to the filth and ask it if you should perhaps clean up and go hang out with friends, but it silently rubs your thigh and tells you no, no.

You have the Thrawn Trilogy to finish.

God, The Thrawn Trilogy was so good.

I mean....

so good!

Crazy%20Eyes%20Dave.png
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    captaink wrote: »
    I liked a set of books about Honor Harrington when I was younger. I don't know if they hold up. They were more about frigate/cruiser level combat.
    I have all the books in the Harrington series up to like... 7. They're pretty good when the space combat is on. David Weber's attempts at epic-level space politics is pretty weak, however.

also, despite the People's Republic (the bad guys) having nearly equivalent tech + a bunch more ships the good guys are always triumphing and arrrrgh after reading the Song of Ice and Fire it's hard to like books with unrealisitic endings anymore.

Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Bloods EndBloods End Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »
    I feel a little sad about understanding the metaphysics of star wars

There were a couple gems in New Jedi Order.

Specifically-Star By Star/the Allston books

The fact that you don't mention Traitor here is a crime. That book is so damn good.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    Yes, thats how they hook you. You read one good EU novel and another and another. Then those are all gone. So you start reading the less-good ones, then the bad ones.

Then the mind-blowingly bad ones. You just want that original glory back.

But its gone. All you have left is the memories, and the filth slowly eclipses those.

filefile.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Boba Fett dies?

I understand the basic idea that you're getting at here, the issue that I have is that the film presented as "if this thing gets you, you are fucking dead." Being wrapped in tentacles and swallowed into subterranean organs, I mean, I'd expect that shooting your guns might kill the thing, but then you're buried pretty deep underground in a suffocating wall of meat and acid.

This discussion has been closed.