Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

New Comic - Feb. 18, 2008

• FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Defender can't help that he has soft lashes and nice curves

juggcat.jpg
  • StavrenStavren Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Fiz wrote: »

The help you mention does exist
    For curves at least, this should assist

mcdonalds.jpg

Bitch-ass stav is on my d, i-c-k
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    METROSEXUAL DAMMIT

hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Defender, you're wrong on your two points up there in the second post of the quote tree.

It stated that the people inside would be digested for a 1000 years, so it's pretty clear that Boba was not immediately killed (especially due to the armor he was wearing).

The jetpack/grenade thing. It was entirely plausible for him to escape using the variety of gear he had. The captives that they were tossing down there were always unarmed and defenseless. It's a valid explanation, which they used in the EU, that he was just chained by the beast at the bottom of the long tunnel that is his mouth. He used grenades to free him, and his jetpack to explosively propel himself upward using a bit of that 'suspension of belief' magic.

Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere hasn't seen the movie just likes the titleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Stavren wrote: »
    Fiz wrote: »

The help you mention does exist
    For curves at least, this should assist

mcdonalds.jpg

Some guys like that, though.

Like, REALLY like that.

edited February 2008
    Defender, you're wrong on your two points up there in the second post of the quote tree.

It stated that the people inside would be digested for a 1000 years, so it's pretty clear that Boba was not immediately killed (especially due to the armor he was wearing).

I actually specifically acknowledged that earlier. I said "no way would a human live that long in the first place," but even if they did have lifespans that long, they'd still suffocate in the thing's belly way faster.
    The jetpack/grenade thing. It was entirely plausible for him to escape using the variety of gear he had. The captives that they were tossing down there were always unarmed and defenseless. It's a valid explanation, which they used in the EU, that he was just chained by the beast at the bottom of the long tunnel that is his mouth. He used grenades to free him, and his jetpack to explosively propel himself upward using a bit of that 'suspension of belief' magic.

Munkus, dearest, that's not entirely the point. The point is that the movie made it clear that he was supposed to die there, just like the emperor was supposed to die on the death star, and making up that he didn't is cheesy and lame.

I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
    edited February 2008
    Defender, you are arguing over artistic integrity and unity. Everyone else is arguing over the expansion of an escapist setting and its events and characters. If they do not enjoy Star Wars primarily for the former, they will enjoy it (and discuss it) for the latter.

You and I both enjoy it for the former, and agree that it's retarded to bring back Boba Fett. But that only makes you right within your particular niche of enjoyment of the series.

edited February 2008
    Guys, it's not fun to tease the 'tard.

It's not his fault his brain doesn't work the same way ours do.

edited February 2008
    Defender, you are arguing over artistic integrity and unity. Everyone else is arguing over the expansion of an escapist setting and its events and characters. If they do not enjoy Star Wars primarily for the former, they will enjoy it (and discuss it) for the latter.

You and I both enjoy it for the former, and agree that it's retarded to bring back Boba Fett. But that only makes you right within your particular niche of enjoyment of the series.

I'm just saying it's poor-quality writing, that's all. It dilutes the world.

• ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere hasn't seen the movie just likes the titleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    because star wars was such a hallmark of intelligent writing when it started

nHu0VJL.png
    My Youtube My Steam SMITE IGN: TDOTCRFH4 come SMITE with me
    edited February 2008
    So you said it, and there's no point arguing it with people who don't understand that your accusation of poor writing does not equal improbable writing.

edited February 2008

I don't even know how to begin to denounce this post. THIS is shit that's worth arguing over.

edited February 2008

Hey the adaptation of Kurosawa and the blending of it with old-style swashbucklin' family-friendly action films in the original movie was pretty good, I thought. And ESB was just plain great. And RotJ, though it was a little action-heavy and had some flaws (notably the fuckin teddy bears), brought it to a good, solid close.

edited February 2008
    Defender wrote: »

I actually specifically acknowledged that earlier. I said "no way would a human live that long in the first place," but even if they did have lifespans that long, they'd still suffocate in the thing's belly way faster.

Munkus, dearest, that's not entirely the point. The point is that the movie made it clear that he was supposed to die there, just like the emperor was supposed to die on the death star, and making up that he didn't is cheesy and lame.

He was down there less than a week.
    And again, the movie wasn't explicit about his death. I'm not sure if Lucas came out one day and said it and if that's what you're referencing, but the movie was not explicit.

If nothing else, it's explicit that he survived falling into the pit. Since that was the entire point. You'd suffer for a very long time as you were digested.

Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Star Wars was a fun, concise tale. It hardly was the pinacle of writing.

However having everyone come back does dilute the story. As does making bigger and badder death stars (I heard one could destroy the sun). I am very much of the opinion that if someone tells a story it should be left alone unless someone can right a really good follow up to it. Not just ret-con everyone back into existence and just make bigger and badder versions of previous things.

edited February 2008
    So you said it, and there's no point arguing it with people who don't understand that your accusation of poor writing does not equal improbable writing.

Not to you, but I just spent two days porting code over, only to find that the compiler (I think) fucked it up.

edited February 2008
    Defender wrote: »

He was down there less than a week.
    And again, the movie wasn't explicit about his death. I'm not sure if Lucas came out one day and said it and if that's what you're referencing, but the movie was not explicit.

If nothing else, it's explicit that he survived falling into the pit. Since that was the entire point. You'd suffer for a very long time as you were digested.

OK. Let's make this simple, since you're pretending not to recognize the clear intention of the filmmaker to express that the character died. George Lucas said in an interview that Fett died there.

edited February 2008
    Nooo not the interview argument
    That turns dust-kickin' into shit-stormin' real fast.

edited February 2008
    Well, my next argument is that it's two fucking thirty in the morning and I think I'm done with this malloc bullshit, so...

edited February 2008
    And again I say "the author is dead." Look at what the film says instead of what the creator demands.

edited February 2008
    Blaket wrote: »

However having everyone come back does dilute the story. As does making bigger and badder death stars (I heard one could destroy the sun). I am very much of the opinion that if someone tells a story it should be left alone unless someone can right a really good follow up to it. Not just ret-con everyone back into existence and just make bigger and badder versions of previous things.

The SunCrusher. I could make stars go supernova, destroying the entire system. It could easily be manned by one person, and they just ditched it in the center of Yavin.

Corran Horn had it for a while when he was still all darkside.

• redheadredhead Registered User
    edited February 2008
    And again I say "the author is dead." Look at what the film says instead of what the creator demands.
    yeah, you don't need an interview to tell what happens in that scene

so yeah, incredibly popular series sometimes spawn fanservicey sequels that bring back characters that should really stay dead

this is not news

edited February 2008

But that's interpreting the film on a purely literal, "this happens then this happens" basis (bassist). To truly understand and appreciate any work of art, we have to acknowledge events that are strongly implied rather than outright stated.

That and the "Major character gets into a situation where everyone is positive he dies then much later is seen again after having apparently made his way out through smallest possible sliver of conceivable circumstances" plot idea sucks.

In short, the film says exactly what the creator demands. The EU finding that single loophole is like a little kid exploiting the semantics of his parents' orders.

"You can't play with Kyle or Jimmy."
    Later
    "I said you can't play with Kyle or Jimmy!"
    "I know, mom, so since it was Kyle or Jimmy I chose not to play with Kyle. Also I totally bet Boba Fett is still alive and used bombs to blow up the inside of the monster then flew out of its mouth with his jetpack."

• FramlingFramling Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

But that's interpreting the film on a purely literal, "this happens then this happens" basis (bassist). To truly understand and appreciate any work of art, we have to acknowledge events that are strongly implied rather than outright stated.

That and the "Major character gets into a situation where everyone is positive he dies then much later is seen again after having apparently made his way out through smallest possible sliver of conceivable circumstances" plot idea sucks.

In short, the film says exactly what the creator demands. The EU finding that single loophole is like a little kid exploiting the semantics of his parents' orders.

Later
    "I know, mom, so since it was Kyle or Jimmy I chose not to play with Kyle. Also I totally bet Boba Fett is still alive and used bombs to blow up the inside of the monster then flew out of its mouth with his jetpack."

Boba Fett is a major character?

How many lines did he have? 3?

That's why I never get the outrage. Boba Fett only does awesome shit in the EU. If you (general) hate the EU so much, why do you (general) give two shits about whether he dies?

As for the "Oh, it diminishes death to bring people back all the time" thing, they honestly don't do it that often. A lot of characters die and stay dead.

t Defender: your first post in this whole discussion was either you being a douche or you pointlessly restating what I had just said. I douched back a bit because I (apparently incorrectly) assumed you weren't just pointlessly spouting garbage. My apologies.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    boddah wrote: »
    man, fuck that shit

chewbacca woulda smacked that moon away and porked some wookie bitches

• Bloods EndBloods End Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Framling wrote: »

Later

That's why I never get the outrage. Boba Fett only does awesome shit in the EU. If you (general) hate the EU so much, why do you (general) give two shits about whether he dies?

As for the "Oh, it diminishes death to bring people back all the time" thing, they honestly don't do it that often. A lot of characters die and stay dead.

t Defender: your first post in this whole discussion was either you being a douche or you pointlessly restating what I had just said. I douched back a bit because I (apparently incorrectly) assumed you weren't just pointlessly spouting garbage. My apologies.

Speaking of which "Last Man Standing" and the story where he takes out an entire military base are amazing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Blaket wrote: »

The SunCrusher. I could make stars go supernova, destroying the entire system. It could easily be manned by one person, and they just ditched it in the center of Yavin.

Corran Horn had it for a while when he was still all darkside.

Kyp Durron.

chillaxton.jpg
    and I broke parole just to get to you
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Battlestar Galactica is better than Star Wars. There, I said it.

The Genius of the Daleks

Latest upload: Chapter Five on 13th of March, 2014
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    dash "fucking" rendar

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Star Bores: Extended Booooniverse.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel Building an empire OsloRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Butler has unpopular opinions!

Fuck off and die.
  • SeriouslySeriously ˈpɛrɪ ˌdɒt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guys

I think we're all forgetting that Boba Fett has thousands and thousands of clones.

8-)

iq16sKi.png
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    battlestar galactica is pretty good

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    you guys have been spelling wookiee wrong all thread.

there are two es at the end.

4445.gif
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    boddah wrote: »
    man, fuck that shit

chewbacca woulda smacked that moon away and porked some wookie bitches

But, that post is clearly by skull man

edited February 2008

Later

Yeah, I was actually just agreeing with you. But that's fine.

With regard to what Stavren said, I think that what he meant about major characters coming back after they should be dead was separate from Boba Fett, who was clearly a smaller bit part than Wedge in the original movies.

edited February 2008

Please explain what "the author is dead" means. Because I haven't heard that used as a figure of speech before, and George Lucas is not dead.

And the film clearly indicates Boba Fett being killed.

You know what?

This is what you're doing when you say that Fett might not have died.

edited February 2008

Later

Within context of the extended universe, yes, Boba Fett is a major character. Killing off a character who was minor and just bringing him back because he's popular and making him a major one isn't much better than one who was major all along.

• FramlingFramling Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, that doesn't actually explain anything in my mind, but this conversation is boring, so whatever.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
This discussion has been closed.