Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

New Comic - Feb. 18, 2008

• DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    august wrote: »
    Is anyone else excited over what Defender might argue about next New Comic Thread?

You know, probably SOMEBODY is. Somebody beats off to people eating shit, so probably there's at least one excited person. Goddamn that is creepy.

hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    but, Anakin/Vader dies in Jedi (actually Anakin dies in AOTC "from a certain point of view") so how the fuck does Chewie die trying to save Anakin 20 years after he's dead?

edited February 2008
    also, the newest cast of pods is up.

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    All other things staying the same, he considered putting a scene in the movie where Boba crawls out of the pit.

How do you not grasp that Boba's death is not something that is irrefutable?
    Geeze, you're a douchebag.

Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i think one of luke or leia's kids is named anakin

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
    edited February 2008
    luke and leia had kids??? SICK MAN

• ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think you mean HAWT

PqhbDd2.png
    My Youtube My Steam SMITE IGN: TDOTCRFH4 come SMITE with me
    edited February 2008
    All other things staying the same, he considered putting a scene in the movie where Boba crawls out of the pit.

How do you not grasp that Boba's death is not something that is irrefutable?
    Geeze, you're a douchebag.

Yeah, he considered it, AND THEN DIDN'T DO IT. Read the Wikipedia article. It says that Fett surviving WENT AGAINST his intentions as of the time he released the film. In other words, when he put the film out the door, his vision, which is clearly fucking communicated in the film, is that Fett died there.

And seriously, if you showed that movie to someone who knew nothing of Star Wars, do you think they'd go "nah, that guy might still be alive" or "yeah, he's dead." Try to be honest for just one second here.

I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    george lucas is terrible

STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • SabreMauSabreMau Still featuring glasses. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Reading the Wikipedia article, it says that putting the scene into the movie was the issue, not the idea of the scene itself. Scenes in film are supposed to either advance plot or develop character. Since Boba does not have anywhere to reappear in the rest of the movie, putting that scene on screen would mean you're setting the audience up for a Boba Fett return on-screen later in the movie. Which wouldn't happen because there's nowhere in the action for him to be spliced in.

1yrxP.jpgmXcqC.jpgtYRm1.jpg
    edited February 2008
    plus he died in there, so...

edited February 2008
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Reading the Wikipedia article, it says that putting the scene into the movie was the issue, not the idea of the scene itself. Scenes in film are supposed to either advance plot or develop character. Since Boba does not have anywhere to reappear in the rest of the movie, putting that scene on screen would mean you're setting the audience up for a Boba Fett return on-screen later in the movie. Which wouldn't happen because there's nowhere in the action for him to be spliced in.

Read more closely.

"Although not his original intent, George Lucas has stated that he has "no problem" with fans and writers having Fett survive..."

Having Fett survive was not Lucas' intent. It's crystal-clear.

And as you already pointed out, there's no reason to have him survive. He's a bit character, he's not important to the story, so having him die is appropriate.

• FramlingFramling Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    George Lucas has no problem with having Fett survive.

Defender flips the fuck out over having Fett survive.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
    edited February 2008
    Framling wrote: »

George Lucas has no problem selling out his IP to some of the shittiest writers in the universe.

I appreciate good art. And hate bad art.

And also what I'm "flipping the fuck out" about isn't so much that Fett survives, because I really don't care about that. It's that people try to pass it off like it's not terrible writing for the sake of fanservice, like it is actually how a good story would and should go.

edited February 2008
    Defender wrote: »

George Lucas has no problem selling out his IP to some of the shittiest writers in the universe.

And also what I'm "flipping the fuck out" about isn't so much that Fett survives, because I really don't care about that. It's that people try to pass it off like it's not terrible writing for the sake of fanservice, like it is actually how a good story would and should go.

lucas is a shitty writer to begin with

STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Star Wars is fan service.

Spoiler:
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I really don't know why you're in such an uproar.
    You don't like it. You don't have to.
    Just, don't like it quietly.
    Because really who fucking cares?

• laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You're poking the 'tard again.

• SabreMauSabreMau Still featuring glasses. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So Lucas changed his mind. If he was really adamant over, "No, Fett dies there." he would have been well within his rights vetoed the multitude of licensed and published Star Wars published stories that declare, as far as Star Wars continuity is concerned, he lives.
    The Holocron is an internal database maintained by Lucas Licensing for the express purpose of trying to maintain continuity within all licensed products. The Holocron is sorted into four levels of canon, reflecting LFL's canon and continuity policies: G, C, S, and N.

* G (George Lucas) canon is absolute canon. This category includes the six films, the deleted scenes from the films, the novelizations of the films, the radio dramas based on the films, the film scripts, and any material found in any other source (published or not) that comes directly from George Lucas himself. G canon outranks all other forms of canon.
    * C (continuity) canon refers to the main body of EU work, and is the next most authoritative level of canon. All material published under the Star Wars label that doesn't fall into either G, S, or N canon is C canon and is considered authoritative as long as it isn't contradicted by G canon.
    * S (secondary) canon refers to older, less accurate, or less coherent EU works, which would not ordinarily fit in the main continuity of G and C canon. For example, this includes the popular online roleplaying game Star Wars Galaxies, and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.
    * N continuity material is also known as "non-canon" or "non-continuity" material. What-if stories (such as those published under the Infinities label) and anything else that cannot at all fit into continuity is placed into this category. "N-continuity" is not considered canon.

Fett falling into the pit is G canon. Fett dying in the pit is never shown. Fett falling into the pit and then blasting his way out is C canon, dovetails smoothly from the last sight of Fett in G canon and does not contradict it, and is therefore authoritative.

And as far as good art, bad art goes...it's George Lucas. Purveyor of fuel for comic book titles and internet banter, not Profound Literature Man.
    You're poking the 'tard again.

At this point, it's mostly because lively Star Wars internet forum debates are amusing to watch. :)

1yrxP.jpgmXcqC.jpgtYRm1.jpg
    edited February 2008
    god where is nap to post that "Star Wars fans hate Star Wars" article

STEAM
    Spoiler:
    edited February 2008
    Wait wait wait
    What article is this?

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    PiptheFair wrote: »

http://www.jivemagazine.com/column.php?pid=3381

bar-cc-1.jpg
    edited February 2008

I felt like the first three movies came out well. I guess that I'm directly disputing that he's a shitty writer...I dunno. Maybe I'd say...he's an OK writer? Something like that. Anyway, the first three movies were pretty damn good, I think.

Well, it is now. It didn't start that way. Hell, it's basically not possible to start that way, because you need characters that fans want to see in order to have fanservice.

edited February 2008

I felt like the first three movies came out well. I guess that I'm directly disputing that he's a shitty writer...I dunno. Maybe I'd say...he's an OK writer? Something like that. Anyway, the first three movies were pretty damn good, I think.

Well, it is now. It didn't start that way. Hell, it's basically not possible to start that way, because you need characters that fans want to see in order to have fanservice.

I'd say it started to be fan service right about when you find out Vader is Luke's father. Shit I first saw Return of the Jedi when I was 7 years old and even I could see what a fucking cop out rationale Obi Wan gave when Luke called him on it

EDIT: Also when you find out about Luke and Leia being siblings. It's painfully apparent none of that was crossing Lucas' mind when he wrote ANH

bar-cc-1.jpg
    edited February 2008
    writers are great when they plagarize westerns and akira kurosawa

STEAM
    Spoiler:
  • SeriouslySeriously ˈpɛrɪ ˌdɒt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is anyone else excited over what Defender might argue about next New Comic Thread?

You know, probably SOMEBODY is. Somebody beats off to people eating shit, so probably there's at least one excited person. Goddamn that is creepy.

:whistle:

iq16sKi.png
    edited February 2008
    I mean Jesus Christ.
    You like the movies but you bitch about everything in them.
    So you don't like them?
    But you do?

Make up your fucking mind, assholes.

edited February 2008
    Javen wrote: »

By that rationale, I'm not a Star Wars fan. I liked the originals, I don't see them as flawless, and I don't like the new stuff. It's pretty simple.

edited February 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    I mean Jesus Christ.
    You like the movies but you bitch about everything in them.
    So you don't like them?
    But you do?

Make up your fucking mind, assholes.
    I don't think you get it.

edited February 2008
    writers are great when they plagarize westerns and akira kurosawa

Yes I am keenly aware of that. I even remember the first time I saw The Hidden Fortress and I was just like "oh my god change these peasants to robots and we have the beginning of Star Wars." Again, I'm not saying he's a great writer, but the first three movies came out pretty well, especially ESB.

Also, to get right down to it, art and science are both things which build on the past. "Standing on the shoulders of giants" and all that. I'm not saying that anyone will stand on Lucas' shoulders in the future, but I feel like "plagiarism" is a little too strong.

edited February 2008
    Here's what I don't get:
    Hating everything about a movie series, but managing to love it.
    Yes there were flaws in the original trilogy.
    But they weren't so bad that they made me not like it.

edited February 2008

I'd say it started to be fan service right about when you find out Vader is Luke's father. Shit I first saw Return of the Jedi when I was 7 years old and even I could see what a fucking cop out rationale Obi Wan gave when Luke called him on it

EDIT: Also when you find out about Luke and Leia being siblings. It's painfully apparent none of that was crossing Lucas' mind when he wrote ANH

Yeah I agree with those two points. Especially the "oops fuck they are now related" part.

edited February 2008
    Here's what I don't get:

Yeah, that's about how I feel. The thing didn't work out perfectly right, but it did a good job overall, even though it fucked up on details. The bigger themes came through fine.

edited February 2008
    Here's what I don't get:

To many self proclaimed "fans", Star Wars is less about the movies and the books, but rather the potential they feel the concept possesses. That and an unhealthy amount of unflinching nostalgia. So, when they see someone (Lucas) take a dump on their favorite passtime, they feel that such potential is being squandered. They have such a high opinion of the concept of Star Wars, that no sensory representation of it will live up to the unreachable expectations set by the fanbase.

bar-cc-1.jpg
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i used to be a gigantic star wars dork.

like to the point that i used to write fanfics. in my defense they did not include me, they were not erotic and if i do say so myself they were usually better written than a lot of the published EU crap.

having said that it is still a sign of being a dork.

however i haven't watched them in a while. i mean they're good, but not something i particularly enjoy watching anymore.

indiana jones now, that's different.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited February 2008
    That's just silly.
    I mean, I didn't like the second trilogy.
    Do you know why? Because it was bad. Not because it sullied the name of the first three films, but just because it was bad and shouldn't have been made.
    Those people are just silly.

edited February 2008
    SabreMau wrote: »
    So Lucas changed his mind. If he was really adamant over, "No, Fett dies there." he would have been well within his rights vetoed the multitude of licensed and published Star Wars published stories that declare, as far as Star Wars continuity is concerned, he lives.
    The Holocron is an internal database maintained by Lucas Licensing for the express purpose of trying to maintain continuity within all licensed products. The Holocron is sorted into four levels of canon, reflecting LFL's canon and continuity policies: G, C, S, and N.

* G (George Lucas) canon is absolute canon. This category includes the six films, the deleted scenes from the films, the novelizations of the films, the radio dramas based on the films, the film scripts, and any material found in any other source (published or not) that comes directly from George Lucas himself. G canon outranks all other forms of canon.
    * C (continuity) canon refers to the main body of EU work, and is the next most authoritative level of canon. All material published under the Star Wars label that doesn't fall into either G, S, or N canon is C canon and is considered authoritative as long as it isn't contradicted by G canon.
    * S (secondary) canon refers to older, less accurate, or less coherent EU works, which would not ordinarily fit in the main continuity of G and C canon. For example, this includes the popular online roleplaying game Star Wars Galaxies, and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.
    * N continuity material is also known as "non-canon" or "non-continuity" material. What-if stories (such as those published under the Infinities label) and anything else that cannot at all fit into continuity is placed into this category. "N-continuity" is not considered canon.

Fett falling into the pit is G canon. Fett dying in the pit is never shown. Fett falling into the pit and then blasting his way out is C canon, dovetails smoothly from the last sight of Fett in G canon and does not contradict it, and is therefore authoritative.

But then you run into a very direct problem.

The scene was cut, and Lucas has stated that Fett surviving went against his intentions. He didn't care, but he still said that he intended for Fett to die there. So Fett dying has to be "G canon" because Lucas himself directly said it. Then Fett NOT dying, because of a scene that didn't get put into the movie (assuming it was actually filmed and then cut) is also "G canon," which means that we have canonical events that contradict each other. So if it was never actually filmed, then Fett's death is canon. If it was filmed, but then cut (and is thus a "deleted scene"), then we have a contradiction.

edited February 2008
    That's just silly.
    I mean, I didn't like the second trilogy.
    Do you know why? Because it was bad. Not because it sullied the name of the first three films, but just because it was bad and shouldn't have been made.
    Those people are just silly.

OK, so that's fine, but it's not unreasonable to have different expectations based on the name.

If a new God Of War came out and Kratos wasn't brutally murdering gigantic mythological monsters and battling gods or titans or something, I'd consider that to be very bad. If the controls were kinda OK but a little clunky, that would be very bad. This is because there's an expectation set up by the previous entries in the franchise. It's not unreasonable to expect at least a consistent level of quality. So, yeah, the new movies were baaaaad...but they were delivered to people who expected the level of quality from the old movies, which just made them look even worse. You really do have to consider context here.

edited February 2008
    "'What is a weapon?' Where the fuck does that come from?"

• ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I basicly don't give shit about Star Wars either way, but I really enjoyed this article.

PqhbDd2.png
    My Youtube My Steam SMITE IGN: TDOTCRFH4 come SMITE with me
This discussion has been closed.