Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

New Comic - Feb. 18, 2008

12345679»

• Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    EDIT Shit wrong thread, my bad.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    fyiad

Spoiler:
    face | zune | last.fm | steam
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited February 2008
    Star Wars has some pretty good lines
    "that is why you fail"
    "do or do not, there is no try"
    "there is no conflict, only resolve"
    "I have altered the deal, pray I do not alter it further"

etc

If you'd like an anime thread, please PM me to discuss it. Include pics/video of your favorites.
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Someone used "Never tell me the odds" as their senior quote last year.
    I've always been partial to "Who's the bigger fool?"

• Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    so about that podcast: I desperately need to see this Lost Odyssey hat drawing/comic.

4445.gif
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't know, it sounded like they had a lot of ideas for where to go but nothing really solid for it to sit on. Like it would be good for maybe one or two panels. Or maybe just a tall poster.

4484-7718-8470
  • Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    maybe just the rough draft thrown on gabe's art site.

does he still update gabeart?

4445.gif
  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    inqusitor wins fakepost of the year purely because it spawned fucking 10 pages of this

that is hilarious

33aqfwk.jpg
  • jwalkjwalk frosty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I got a bad feeling about this.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Not tests. They were trying to kill it.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I thought they smelled bad on the outside.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Star Wars is a lot like Lord of the Rings in that a lot of people (maybe even most 'fans') care more about the world and setting created than they do the characters and plots.

I liked the Thrawn trilogy, and the Tales books. There's a few more that I like with some backstory for Han and Lando. I haven't read the Jedi Order or most other EU books.

Though I do have a book that was written...at least before Jedi came out, maybe before Empire. It REALLY plays up the Luke-Leia love connection, and is extremely creepy. It's also terrible, and I couldn't finish it.

I did love the old Star Wars card game though, the one from decipher.

• StavrenStavren Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Star Wars is a lot like Lord of the Rings in that a lot of people (maybe even most 'fans') care more about the world and setting created than they do the characters and plots.

I liked the Thrawn trilogy, and the Tales books. There's a few more that I like with some backstory for Han and Lando. I haven't read the Jedi Order or most other EU books.

Though I do have a book that was written...at least before Jedi came out, maybe before Empire. It REALLY plays up the Luke-Leia love connection, and is extremely creepy. It's also terrible, and I couldn't finish it.

Someone needs to do the whole awkward Luke-Leia love in a good book. That would be really awesome, I'm tired of it being glossed over or exploited by hacks.

Bitch-ass stav is on my d, i-c-k
  • FramlingFramling Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Splinter of the Mind's Eye?

Yeah. Kinda creepy.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    anything written by Zahn was good.

most of the rest was crap.

and Stackpole should be taken out and shot, he is seriously the worst fucking writer ever.

EVER.

biggest and most obvious case of mary sue i've ever seen in a book. holy shit could corran horn be better at more things?

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    inqusitor wins fakepost of the year purely because it spawned fucking 10 pages of this

that is hilarious

This is a movement I can get behind.

edited February 2008
    oh wait i forgot Kevin J Anderson

i hope there is a special circle of hell for shitty authors who get reams of books published. the only positive is it makes me realize that maybe i have a real chance if this is the kind of shit that's getting out there.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited February 2008
    Unless there's another Michael Stckpole, he wrote a pretty decent article about BADD.
    http://www.rpgstudies.net/stackpole/pulling_report.html

edited February 2008
    well yes, but that doesn't translate to the ability to write fiction.

okay in the technical sense he is a decent writer. his use of the language is by no means terrible.

however his characters suck nineteen kinds of horse balls.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited February 2008
    I'd hardly argue that he's anywhere near a decent novelist. His characters all feel exactly the same, his plots somehow manage to be overly simplistic and confusing at the same time, and I find him just plain uninteresting.

That's not a bad article, though.

• FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY EVERY DAYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    div looks pretty cool for a dude on a leash

xcomsig.png
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    vsove wrote: »

and Stackpole should be taken out and shot, he is seriously the worst fucking writer ever.

EVER.

biggest and most obvious case of mary sue i've ever seen in a book. holy shit could corran horn be better at more things?

What is a mary sue good sir?

edited February 2008
    Blaket wrote: »

EVER.

mary sue is when you take a character who is more than likely supposed to be a representation of yourself.

and then you make them godly. basically, they are attractive, good with whatever sex they prefer, and they have skills that set them apart from the average person. the formula is not always 100%, so sometimes you'll get ugly mary sues or less physically capable. but this is always presented as a challenge they have overcome as opposed to an actual handicap.

In the case of Michael Stackpole, his Mary Sue was the Corran Horn character. He was a fantastic pilot, attractive to the ladies (the most 'attractive' woman in Rogue Squadron, plus the also attractive daughter of his father's greatest rival both found him irresistible), and surprise surprise, a Jedi. He was never outsmarted, and of course if any situation could set him apart from the other characters as 'just a little better', it would. This was already awful in the X-Wing books, and it really detracted from what could have been just an enjoyable pulp Star Wars story. But it got even worse.

Later, Stackpole wrote a first-person narrative called 'I, Jedi' which was about Corran Horn joining the Jedi order. Of course, he had to be one of the first students, so he inserted himself into every important scene that occurred in Kevin J Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy, even when it didn't make sense. Corran was, once again, friends with everyone, and even Luke found himself being corrected by Corran Horn. Basically the entire book you wanted to light your copy on fire and then throw it at Stackpole.

That is an example of what a Mary Sue is. Advice to all aspiring novelists; this is the most retarded shit you can ever pull in a book. Do not insert yourself or some fucking representation of yourself into your books, because if you do not only will I hate your works, but so will everyone who can think.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • FramlingFramling Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

EVER.

mary sue is when you take a character who is more than likely supposed to be a representation of yourself.

and then you make them godly. basically, they are attractive, good with whatever sex they prefer, and they have skills that set them apart from the average person. the formula is not always 100%, so sometimes you'll get ugly mary sues or less physically capable. but this is always presented as a challenge they have overcome as opposed to an actual handicap.

In the case of Michael Stackpole, his Mary Sue was the Corran Horn character. He was a fantastic pilot, attractive to the ladies (the most 'attractive' woman in Rogue Squadron, plus the also attractive daughter of his father's greatest rival both found him irresistible), and surprise surprise, a Jedi. He was never outsmarted, and of course if any situation could set him apart from the other characters as 'just a little better', it would. This was already awful in the X-Wing books, and it really detracted from what could have been just an enjoyable pulp Star Wars story. But it got even worse.

Later, Stackpole wrote a first-person narrative called 'I, Jedi' which was about Corran Horn joining the Jedi order. Of course, he had to be one of the first students, so he inserted himself into every important scene that occurred in Kevin J Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy, even when it didn't make sense. Corran was, once again, friends with everyone, and even Luke found himself being corrected by Corran Horn. Basically the entire book you wanted to light your copy on fire and then throw it at Stackpole.

That is an example of what a Mary Sue is. Advice to all aspiring novelists; this is the most retarded shit you can ever pull in a book. Do not insert yourself or some fucking representation of yourself into your books, because if you do not only will I hate your works, but so will everyone who can think.

Oh god, I thought I was he only one that didn't like him!

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
    edited February 2008
    oh god no definitely not.

there are very few star wars EU authors who i have any respect for.

timothy zahn is one, and that's because even if you took the star wars aspects out of his books, they would still be very entertaining sci-fi novels. they are very tightly written, and there's not a lot of bullshit in them.

aaron allston is the other. he understands that he is writing star wars, not high fiction, and treats it accordingly. even so he still manages to create good, believable characters that are not perfect. his one character with force sensitivity never managed to use it beyond 'kind of sort of sensing things'. plus he has a good sense of humour in most of his scenes, and when the scene requires it he can drop the humour.

basically those are the two authors whose EU books i am not ashamed to have read. i hear there are some good books in the new jedi order, but i stopped reading around when those got popular.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited February 2008
    Fram, that might be the stupidest thing you've ever said.

Eveyone who's ever read any decent literature hates Michael Stackpole. There are dozens of us.

• SabreMauSabreMau Still featuring glasses. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Face was much more fun than Corran.

"Sir, I regret to report only partial success with the personal cloaking device."

1yrxP.jpgmXcqC.jpgtYRm1.jpg
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I hate that book so much.

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Star Wars has some pretty good lines
    "that is why you fail"
    "do or do not, there is no try"
    "there is no conflict, only resolve"
    "I have altered the deal, pray I do not alter it further"

etc

I don't recall that one...Where/by whom is that said?

hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I want to say that's from the Jedi Knight game or something. Is it?

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh god, please let the new comic come out soon so this thread can be killed

• Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

EVER.

This I understand and hate.

I tried reading the timothy zahn novels years ago when I was 12 I kept zoning out and it took me alot longer to read than other shit and I think I just stopped about 2/3rds of the way through. And I tried the Knights of the Old Republic comic which had a good intial story arc but then turned a bit too crap and I just got tired of reading legacy.

This discussion has been closed.