As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

N+ coming to XBLA

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This game is tremendous

And it was worth 10 bucks just to play it on a fucking controller

It is so, SO SO SO MUCH better than the keyboard

N seems like one of the few PC-designed games where that kind of transition would work well. How does that tend to affect momentum, are there jumps that require more precise control than you could easily get in N?

jothki on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hm. The screenshots do it NO favors. I saw a video and it looks really fluid and slick, but decidedly lo-fi. I'm cautious, but I'm sure I'll try a demo when it hits Live. I'd love to see how this actually plays/controls.
    Try it on the PC - it's free, and already here. Unless you're posting from your Wii.

From my mac, actually. And I don't feel like firing up Parallels.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hm. The screenshots do it NO favors. I saw a video and it looks really fluid and slick, but decidedly lo-fi. I'm cautious, but I'm sure I'll try a demo when it hits Live. I'd love to see how this actually plays/controls.
    Try it on the PC - it's free, and already here. Unless you're posting from your Wii.

There's a mac version.

jothki on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    jothki wrote: »

There's a mac version.

Well shit. That's what I get for assuming "PC Version" just meant Windows.

I've been conditioned this way. I'm like a whipped dog.

minor incident on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

There's a mac version.

Well shit. That's what I get for assuming "PC Version" just meant Windows.

I've been conditioned this way. I'm like a whipped dog.
    Eh, I definitely wrote it in a misleading way.

Also, I really want to try this with a controller. Are there any ways to get new levels, and make your own, on the 360/PSP/DS versions?

SithDrummer on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I too am interested if the level editor is on the 360 version.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I too am interested if the level editor is on the 360 version.

There is a level editor in the 360 version, but im not sure you can share your levels with other people like in the PC version. I will try to find out when i get the time.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh wow...this is a good game. And, yes, there's a level editor with the game. It appears you can play others' levels too.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    so I played through the trial and all, but 800 is a lot of points...

how is the difficulty curve? will I be trying later levels again and again, or get them on the first or second try like the trial levels?

Charles Kinbote on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    so I played through the trial and all, but 800 is a lot of points...

how is the difficulty curve? will I be trying later levels again and again, or get them on the first or second try like the trial levels?

Depending on how skilled you are at the game, eventually you'll reach a point where you'll want to throw your controller in furious rage.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited February 2008
    Yep. Everyone will reach that point. The N is short for NUT-CRUSHING FURY.

SithDrummer on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    One of the few games I've not really had any experience with, grabbed the demo, and bought almost immediately. This is exactly my kind of game.

I can see myself getting intensely annoyed with it, too. This is a good thing.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Unless you are some sort of superhuman platforming GOD, this game will eventually get to a point where you will want to hurt something. It has a pretty good difficulty curve, but it gets really high after a couple hundred levels.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This game is tremendous

And it was worth 10 bucks just to play it on a fucking controller

It is so, SO SO SO MUCH better than the keyboard

N seems like one of the few PC-designed games where that kind of transition would work well. How does that tend to affect momentum, are there jumps that require more precise control than you could easily get in N?

Well the analog functionality of the stick doesn't seem to come into play, unfortunately, but N is a game where that doesn't seem to be too big a problem. That's a good thing too, because my god the Dpad for the 360 controller is the worst on any controller I've ever used, bar none, any generation, even third party junk controllers. The analog stick is far more precise than arrow keys though, let me tell you.

Evil Multifarious on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If the levels from the PC version are in this and I'm recalling correctly, 894 will crush your soul.

It might be 884, but I'm pretty sure it's 894.

Hylianbunny on
    edited February 2008
    I didn't even start the 80s column. I put on practice mode, looked at some of the levels, said "fuck you" to the userbase that created them, and moved on to the 90s.

SithDrummer on
  • PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    God I love this game.

Edit: Damnit I just lost the game

Pjstelford on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You mother fucker.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If the levels from the PC version are in this and I'm recalling correctly, 894 will crush your soul.

Was that one titled 'mother-thumping impossible'? I remember one level took me about a week's worth of breaks to finally beat.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    flammiebc wrote: »

Was that one titled 'mother-thumping impossible'? I remember one level took me about a week's worth of breaks to finally beat.

I believe that's the one, yes.

A single mis-step and you're done; and the level is long as hell.

Hylianbunny on
    edited February 2008
    Episode 3-3 of the multi player levels can go die in a fire.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You know, I had heard that everyone said that this game was hard. I also am ungodly good at old-school platformers, so I though, "Nah, it can't be all that hard."

Holy Balls. It's harder than you can imagine.

Samphis on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The pc version nearly ruined my degree, and I wasn't tempted to pick this up since I know I'll just reach a point of impossibility, where controllers will feel my wrath. Then I played it last night, my brother joined in on co-op, and I am so considering getting it.
    This and Dishwasher are why I'm so tired today, stupid late nights.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I really like the game. I played the PC game for a little bit, but didn't like playing it with the keyboard.

I tried the demo, and after the training levels decided to buy the full version. I think I only got as far as the 5th group of levels before I had to do something else. It was easy up to a point, then there was one level where I must have died like 10 times.

I like the zoom feature too. I wish there was another one between medium and close. I definitely want to check out the multiplayer stuff.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bought,

online co-op is awesome if you get someone with a mic, otherwise you want to blend your testicles.

also, "The waiting game" on lvl 3 can kiss my ass.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • PiggoPiggo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So i'm very tempted to get this seems like a lot of fun.

I don't think i quite understand some of the mechanics yet though? Whats the gold for? I know it fills the life bar and boosts my time, but do i need get it all? Do i get a better score if i do, or should i just race through the level?

Piggo on
    edited February 2008
    How does the Co-op work? Do you have switches that one needs to stand on or something?

Samphis on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Piggo wrote: »

I don't think i quite understand some of the mechanics yet though? Whats the gold for? I know it fills the life bar and boosts my time, but do i need get it all? Do i get a better score if i do, or should i just race through the level?

1) You don't need to get the gold.
    2) Your score is based on how much time you have left so gold boosts your score directly.

RainbowDespair on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Piggo wrote: »

You don't need to collect it all. The "high-scores" on the PC game, at least, was the time left on the bar once you'd finished the level, so collecting all the gold you could whilst completing it as fast as possible was the aim.

There's a life bar? Or do you mean the timer?

Centipeed on
    edited February 2008
    So, the secret achievement.
    Die 1,000 times in single player.

I think this one is bugged. Unless I died 950+ times on Practice Makes Perfect (Last column, first episode, last level, the new numbering system is strange) in the span of an hour. Which I suppose is possible.

Pjstelford on
    edited February 2008
    Pjstelford wrote: »

I think this one is bugged. Unless I died 950+ times on Practice Makes Perfect (Last column, first episode, last level, the new numbering system is strange) in the span of an hour. Which I suppose is possible.

Umm i dont think it is secret, as you can view it clear as day on the xbox dashboard.

Blue map on
    edited February 2008
    Blue map wrote: »

Umm i dont think it is secret, as you can view it clear as day on the xbox dashboard.

Thought it was the secret achievement, my mistake.

Pjstelford on
  • Milky28Milky28 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Blue map wrote: »

Thought it was the secret achievement, my mistake.

It is the "secret" achievement, it's just not really a secret to see what it is via the dashboard.

Milky28 on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Milky28 XBL: Milky28
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    800 points is $10, right?

Doc on
    edited February 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    800 points is $10, right?

Well, roughly. You have to add 200 if the amount of points is less than 2000 but more than 200. Then you have to subtract (Pi*2.18) before you can add your age. Then once you've done that, you divide by 13 and then subtract another 64.

That's what I recall of the formula anyway. It may have changed recently. I don't know.

minor incident on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Samphis wrote: »
    How does the Co-op work? Do you have switches that one needs to stand on or something?

Yeah, there are some maps that can only be completed with at least two people, preferably three or four.

There's also competitive modes, like racing through levels and survival

Also, as said before. The gold just gives you a higher score and keeps you alive longer. Since these levels are in five map groups, I guess it's not needed. The old PC game though was in like ten map groups and it was crucial to completion. (at least it was for me)

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I definitely noticed analog control.

Also, I am furious that I can't share my custom levels with people.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I definitely noticed analog control.

Also, I am furious that I can't share my custom levels with people.

You can't? I thought that was in the press release.

Samphis on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Unless this is wrong, you can:

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/02/20/arcade-n.aspx

Wouldn't be the first time MN had incorrect info though.

EDIT: Here's what I read from one of the devs on the MS forums:

It does indeed - A few of the dudes in our IRC were playing multiplayer just today.

Insofar as level-sharing, this is what I got from Mare: "Currently you can only share levels with your friends; we had public level sharing working, however after the forza scandal we had to remove this feature for legal reasons.. sometime in 2008, if/when microsoft figures out how to deal with user-made content (legally and operationally) this feature will be activated via a patch -- it works, it's just disabled currently. for now it's friends-only.. this is maybe the one case where the handhelds are going to be better than the XBLA version, as they have a public database for level sharing."

With that in mind, we have a really close-knit community at the official forums, and of course, you guys can definitely share levels here -- I notice there's a thread up already for friend requests, so it shouldn't be hard to find another whose maps you can enjoy.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    I think there may be a way to play player made maps over live but i think you can only do it in private matches (also im not sure so i could be totally wrong).

Blue map on