As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Router?

SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
I have been using a wireless Linksys router (the WRT54G) for almost 4-5 years now...and it sucks. I'm fed up, and suffice to say, I am looking into a new one. Any recommendations for a good gigabit router with wireless?

If you can chill, chill.
Steam ID
Saaruto on

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My linksys has been fucking up regularly for a while now. So I got a certain netgear that supposedly has greater signal range. Turns out, it has pathetic signal range. So now I'm back to my much older linksys which fucks up occasionally. Stupid linksys. Stupid netgear.

slash000 on
  • Options
    JeffyJeffy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yea I use that one and quite frankly a lot of people do as well. It's annoying sometimes that it'll stop working, but you can just reset it and it doesn't really happen that often really. Just make sure the firmware is updated. Mine was acting like a fucktard until I upgraded it and now it's pretty much fine and has only fucked with me around once or twice since I've upgraded it (which was about 10 months ago).

Jeffy on
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've decided I'm going to get a Time Capsule when I move out. I'm so tired of the bullshit quality assurance Linksys, D-Link, and Netgear seem to have. Apple might charge a lot more and have worse performance, but at least I can automatically backup to a 1TB drive wirelessly with ZERO configuration. Not to mention the convenience of a zero configuration wireless networked hard drive in such a small package.

Fuck the PC industry. I'm officially done with it until I have thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours to waste on a gaming PC.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    give me WRT350N + dd-wrt or give me death.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You can try a trendnet.
    They seem to be rising in popularity recently.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Install DD-WRT. (or tomato, openwrt)

It helps. really.

I went from resetting my router once every couple of days, to once every couple of months.

And it offers about a bajillion more configuration options and features. Snazzier, quicker, cleaner interface, too.

And... c'mon. I can ssh into my router. How cool is that?

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    hell isn't the WRT54G series the one that is hailed as the greatest home consumer router you can buy? (well aside from their more recent 300 and 350N offerings)

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    hell isn't the WRT54G series the one that is hailed as the greatest home consumer router you can buy? (well aside from their more recent 300 and 350N offerings)

The older WRT54G or the newer WRT54GL. The new revisions of the WRT54G made it suck.

Flash it with DD-WRT, if you can. If you can't, get a Buffalo WHR-G125 and flash that (if it doesn't come pre-flashed; they've started doing that).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have a WRT54GL, and while I intended to install DD-WRT, I never got around to it. Nevertheless, I don't think I've ever had it mess up on me in the year and a half I've owned it. I guess if you're deadset against a Linksys router, you should stay away from that model too, but it's been working out great for me.

SteevL on
  • Options
    j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Linksys WRT54G + DD-WRT = WIN

Seriously. The hardware on that router is what's normally used in commercial routers. The hardware is frickin' awesome. Linksys' crappy firmware is what cripples that router.

Flash. that. shit.

Drop DD-WRT and you will have the single best, most cost-efficient router on the market.

That said, the D-Link DGL-4300 is pretty damn good, I use that for my primary router due to Gb LAN support. I use my flashed WRT54G as a network bridge for my consoles.

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png