Options

QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, let me preface this by saying it is possible that this is a stupid question.

I have never used skype before today. Is it possible to use with a phone which is plugged into my computer, or will I have to use a headset? Its not really a big deal but it would be nice to be able to use a phone as opposed to finding my headset (or a microphone) which is lost in the mists of time

The phone i have has a weird small plug which fits in my computer fine, so I assumed it might be possible to use, if not no worries but if it is possible and I have merely been thick here then it'd be nice to know

Thanks

Quirk on

• Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Looks like it will cost some money, but this is crazy great.

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/skype/linksys-cit200-skype-phone-review.asp

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Quirk wrote: »
    The phone i have has a weird small plug which fits in my computer fine, so I assumed it might be possible to use, if not no worries but if it is possible and I have merely been thick here then it'd be nice to know

Whatever you are jamming your phone into, stop doing it. It's not the right thing to do.

You need to get a USB handset, the Skype web site has links to bunches of them. If you wanted to go all out, you could get a phone with the Skype software and wifi on-board, so you don't need to be at your computer.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Haha good to know, though it doesn't need to be jammed into anything, since it doesn't have the regular phone pluf, but a smaller one, which i happen to have also in my computer. Since it fit so well i thought i'd give it a go, but obviously to no avail.

Thanks for your help folks

Quirk on
  • Options
    whaaabambwhaaabamb Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    thats your modem for an ethernet cable not a phone line they are almost the same but not. cheap head set for the win or if you have a web cam with a mic that would work too

whaaabamb on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah I kinda knew it was for that, I was just hoping that it could be somehow used for skype as well so i didnt have to go finding things in the morass that is my mums house

Quirk on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    whaaabamb wrote: »
    thats your modem for an ethernet cable not a phone line they are almost the same but not. cheap head set for the win or if you have a web cam with a mic that would work too

Red'd for wrong. He's plugging in his telephone minijack (I forget the official name) into his modem. It has nothing to do with ethernet.

Lewisham on