As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Riots in Belgrade

GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Riots are occuring in the Serbian capital of Belgrade, apparently protesting the recent independence of Kosovo. Reports are that the rioters are (at least largely) football hooligans; the protest seems to be largely peaceful.

CNN just showed video (I think it was live) of rioters attempting to set the US flag outside the embassy on fire. There have been reports of attacks on other embassies in Belgrade as well.

Not much other information at this time.

steam_sig.png
IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
GoodOmens on

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pics were from 1+ hour ago, me thinks. Normal and expected reaction with view of the situation.

zeeny on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
  • 12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fucking nationalistic idiots.

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Apparently some border check points have been burnt down, and NATO troops are now guarding most of the border crossings.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    It's (un)fortunate that the "HEY YOU KIDS GET OFF OUR LAWN" foreign policy of the US isn't used on a smaller scale when our embassies are being attacked.

Doc on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    It's (un)fortunate that the "HEY YOU KIDS GET OFF OUR LAWN" foreign policy of the US isn't used on a smaller scale when our embassies are being attacked.

I don't get it. Like, what exactly do you suggest?

zeeny on
    edited February 2008
    zeeny wrote: »

I'm not suggesting it, but our embassy is under assault and it's staffed by marines. It would be in keeping with our foreign policy to fight back.

Doc on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I'm not suggesting it, but our embassy is under assault and it's staffed by marines. It would be in keeping with our foreign policy to fight back before it was even attacked.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
    edited February 2008

I'm not suggesting it, but our embassy is under assault and it's staffed by marines. It would be in keeping with our foreign policy to fight back before it was even attacked.

Heh, yeah.

Doc on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If Serbian football hooligans are anything like the hooligans here: you're mostly dealing with nationalistic nutjobs. Of course they're protesting, it's what they do.

Aldo on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    and if you are lucky the hooligans might have ties with paramilitaries, as a result of the civil wars in the 90s. Hooray for jerks who might have access to assault rifles! IIRC Arkan's Tigers were part football hooligan, part paramilitary.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Serbians are unique in that, as well as soccer hooligans, they also have tennis hooligans. At least in Melbourne the last few years.

RocketScience on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008

I'm not suggesting it, but our embassy is under assault and it's staffed by marines. It would be in keeping with our foreign policy to fight back.

Actually, the embassy had been closed a couple of days before that attack, making it rather less brave than it looks.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    They found a burned body in the US embassy, apparently one of the rioters got lost or something.

Aldo on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've got a plane ticket going through Belgrade in May. I don't want to step foot in that fucking country with a US passport.

Hoz on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm sure you'll be fine in the airport. Unlike the wrong kind of person passing through the US. Citizens included.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    I've got a plane ticket going through Belgrade in May. I don't want to step foot in that fucking country with a US passport.

Oh please. It's is a little more civilised than that, you melodramatic asshole.

And yeah, this was some low quality hooliganism. I was watching a video of it on CNN, and two guys were trying to break a window with a big piece of wood. They hit it like two times and it didn't break so they just walked off.

Football hooliganism just ain't what it used to be, I'm afraid.

Duki on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I never understood what the big fucking deal was about Kosovo becoming independent. Some retarded cultural reasoning from Serbs, having to do with some battle they lost in the area or something?

Rhan9 on
    edited February 2008
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I never understood what the big fucking deal was about Kosovo becoming independent. Some retarded cultural reasoning from Serbs, having to do with some battle they lost in the area or something?
    Nearly all borders are retarded. Just look at the eastern border of Finland, there's no rhyme or reason to it from an ethnic point of view. If I recall correctly Kosovo became part of Serbia about a century ago and it has remained that way ever since.

Aldo on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Nearly all borders are retarded. Just look at the eastern border of Finland, there's no rhyme or reason to it from an ethnic point of view. If I recall correctly Kosovo became part of Serbia about a century ago and it has remained that way ever since.

Then I'll just note it down under the oft-used "People are simply retarded" - cause. I thought there may have been some proper reasons for wanting to keep Kosovo, apart from "We just want to!".

Rhan9 on
  • FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Then I'll just note it down under the oft-used "People are simply retarded" - cause. I thought there may have been some proper reasons for wanting to keep Kosovo, apart from "We just want to!".

Well, the serbs lost a battle there to the ottomans hundreds of years ago and lost their independence. They also built some churches there. Thus Kosovo is the heartland of Serbia somehow.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You're correct. It's completely retarded to not draw borders on anything except for on an ethnic scale. That way, we always know the good side of the tracks and the bad side of the tracks. And, yeah, it's so crazy with them there Kosovars not having left earlier. They should have told the Stalinists and Tito Santana to eat shit and die and forged off on their own at least 30 years ago.

GungHo on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Well, the serbs lost a battle there to the ottomans hundreds of years ago and lost their independence. They also built some churches there. Thus Kosovo is the heartland of Serbia somehow.

It's mostly a religious thing. There are a bunch of Orthodox Serbian churches in Kosovo. Kind of like the Serbian Israel.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited February 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    You're correct. It's completely retarded to not draw borders on anything except for on an ethnic scale. That way, we always know the good side of the tracks and the bad side of the tracks. And, yeah, it's so crazy with them there Kosovars not having left earlier. They should have told the Stalinists and Tito Santana to eat shit and die and forged off on their own at least 30 years ago.

W-what are you talking about? Where did I say anything like that? :| Is this what they call "strawmanning"?

Aldo on
    edited February 2008

W-what are you talking about? Where did I say anything like that? :| Is this what they call "strawmanning"?
    I am bolding above what threw me on a tangent.

GungHo on
    edited February 2008
    Yes I know you were responding to my post, that's why you quoted it, remember?

I did not say that all borders should have been drawn on base of ethnicity, I said the eastern border of Finland makes little sense. Which anyone familiar with the situation would gladly admit to.

I did not say that the Kosovars are crazy for not "having left earlier" or that they are pansies for not having fought against Tito or Milosovic. I simply stated that Kosovo was under Serbian rule for the past century.

Aldo on
    edited February 2008

I did not say that all borders should have been drawn on base of ethnicity, I said the eastern border of Finland makes little sense. Which anyone familiar with the situation would gladly admit to.
    Is the eastern border of Finland's lack of sense based on it not being drawn ethnically? What would have saved it from it being in the group of retarded borders, which I now assume you think are retarded for different reasons. Specifically what retardations do the Finns suffer from?

GungHo on
    edited February 2008

Is the eastern border of Finland's lack of sense based on it not being drawn ethnically? What would have saved it from it being in the group of retarded borders, which I now assume you think are retarded for different reasons. Specifically what retardations do the Finns suffer from?

It's based on some idiots with a map and a ruler. It's purely political and it was absolutely not practical. If the Finnish and Russian government had actually talked to the people living in the area and heard what language they spoke and what nationality the subscribed to before drawing the borders they probably would have found a more practical solution.

Do you want some more examples of retarded borders or can we call it a day and stop dragging the thread further off topic?

*edit: I picked the Finland example because hey Rhan9 is Finnish.

Aldo on