As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RAM and the upgrading thereof.

SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
So I want to get some more RAM for my computer. I have 512 at the moment but I would like to upgrade to at least 1 GB.

I got this with a quick Google search.
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension%208400%20Series

It says that I need to install RAM in pairs for some reason. Is this right? Would I need to buy a set of RAM sticks or can I just get a second 512 or 1GB? And second, is that price too cheap?

Suggestions, advice, etc. appreciated.

SirToasty on

• Options
    Pastoriusk2Pastoriusk2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sometimes certain motherboards are real picky with memory, but you can usually just throw in whatever and it should work. I think the price is pretty good. Hell, Newegg is even cheaper. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161401

If you've got the money to, just go for 2GB. Get these and either keep your old ram or sell it or turn it into art or something.

Pastoriusk2 on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Installing memory in matched pairs lets you use dual-channel which gives you a small but noticable speed boost. If your motherboard supports dual-channel, that is.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So if I were to get two 1GB sticks, I can still have the old 512 stick installed?

SirToasty on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »
    So if I were to get two 1GB sticks, I can still have the old 512 stick installed?

No. Well, you could, but it wouldn't run dual-channel.

note: make sure your motherboard supports dual channel before bothering with that shit anyway. Also, and I apologize if I'm stating the obvious, but remember that some motherboards use DDR and some use DDR2, and DDR2 doesn't fit in DDR slots (or vice versa).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You wouldn't happen to know the brand and model number of your mobo? That helps a lot if you do a search and look up it's specs for memory capacity and compatibility. It can also help cut down the chances of buying incompatible ram.

Doomulon on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Program.

Download and run that, you'll be able to see what kind of RAM is currently in your system, all that good stuff. Then you'll know exactly what to look for in an upgrade.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Program.

Download and run that, you'll be able to see what kind of RAM is currently in your system, all that good stuff. Then you'll know exactly what to look for in an upgrade.
    PC Wizard is better suited to the task. Made by the same people though and far more comprehensive.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Maybe, but all he needs is to know if his RAM is PCxxxx, really. This one will also inform you if your memory is capable of running in dual-channel mode.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    Pastoriusk2Pastoriusk2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Since the Crucial link he posted is for a Dell Dimension 8400, and all the matches are DDR2, it should be safe to assume his motherboard is DDR2 compatible.

Pastoriusk2 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Since the Crucial link he posted is for a Dell Dimension 8400, and all the matches are DDR2, it should be safe to assume his motherboard is DDR2 compatible.
    Exactly. Thanks for the tips dudes.

SirToasty on