As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Holy Shit All Points Bulletin CLOSED BETA THIS WEEK!

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DHA - Dirty Harry Agency

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I see a new email in the inbox of my private email address, I'm hoping it's an invite to Beta, turns out it's EvE Online wanting to know if I want to renew my subscription. gf-cripesduck.gif

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I see a new email in the inbox of my private email address, I'm hoping it's an invite to Beta, turns out it's EvE Online wanting to know if I want to renew my subscription. gf-cripesduck.gif

Did you?
    :P

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Jobastion wrote: »

Did you?
    :P

Well yeah, I've been playing it since beta.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    no email yet

this is not cool, realtimeworlds

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've done a little research and looks like only a few of us will get in the beta at all because apparently RealTime is giving priority access to one or two communities (AKA: other forums) over everyone else.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hopefully they are just doing that for the start or something and then expanding more later?

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Hopefully they are just doing that for the start or something and then expanding more later?

It's hard to say what they'll do, from what I've read on these boards, RealTime employees are pretty vocal about them getting beta keys.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Which forums are these?
    We could infiltrate them and stage a coup, and aquisition their beta keys for our own people.
    VIVA LA REVOLUCION! :)

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It's hard to say what they'll do, from what I've read on these boards, RealTime employees are pretty vocal about them getting beta keys.

Yeah, I remember them saying something early on about their main fan site boards are guaranteed to get in, I just figured they'd do them plus a shit ton more, but who knows how big they plan on doing the test.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maybe I'm crazy, but having the majority of your testers pulled from the rabid fanboy pool doesn't seem like the best idea. They're gonna be far from unbiased.

I'm not just saying this because it's hurting my chances, I swear! >_>

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maybe I'm crazy, but having the majority of your testers pulled from the rabid fanboy pool doesn't seem like the best idea. They're gonna be far from unbiased.

Using beta tests as marketing opportunities seems to be all the rage nowadays.

Kinda disappointing.

Suriko on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That may not be such a terrible idea.

Who better than a legion of rabid fanboys already invested in a community to use as a testbed for features that will keep them satisfied?

Any remotely polished looking release can get a whole ton of people jumping on the band wagon, but keeping them is the difficult bit.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Basil wrote: »

Who better than a legion of rabid fanboys to use as a testbed for features that will keep them satisfied?

Any remotely polished looking release can get a whole ton of people jumping on the band wagon, but keeping them is the difficult bit.

At the same time, though, some people will play anything for any length of time

Look at Star Wars Galaxies

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Who better than a legion of rabid fanboys to use as a testbed for features that will keep them satisfied?

At the same time, though, some people will play anything for any length of time

Look at Star Wars Galaxies

SWG community was weird; they suffered some of the strangest bugs/glitches ever to grace an MMORPG (Speeders everywhere!), many of the players had to start over every other month because the devs would 'rebalance' the character classes over and over, the devs would literally abuse players, and then there was NGE. Yet people still kept coming back.

Edit: I trying to hint that SWG players are like a girlfriend in denial about an abusive boyfriend on steriods.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    I have seen the beta invitation email with my own two eyes.

But it was not for me.

FUCK

fZyjT.gif

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Who better than a legion of rabid fanboys already invested in a community to use as a testbed for features that will keep them satisfied?

hehe..thats why I was wondering what one should put on the Beta Application. When I tried to get into the MaG one I got the feeling I sounded like I would be too knit-picky.

Egos on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    also if you're all wondering,. I know that apb evolved's forums are getting in

they're very self-entitled over there

Raneados on
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Raneados wrote: »

Fuck them.

Fuck them with a rake.

nah i'm not jealous not one bit >:|

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Raneados wrote: »

Fuck them.

Fuck them with a rake.

nah i'm not jealous not one bit >:|

It's ok, they're completely smug about their preferred treatment. Real assholes.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    it's true

one of the devs told them that everyone who was registered there before ___ was guaranteed a slot

and they just fucking put on their smug faces and started jerking it

Raneados is ALSO not jealous even a little bit

Raneados on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm jealous

Just one bit

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Two bits jealous

One bit sexy

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    I'm jealous

Just one bit
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Two bits jealous

One bit sexy

I've had it up to here with you two loose cannons. Flippy, Raslin, I want your badges and your wangs on my desk first thing tomorrow morning. As of this moment you're no longer detectives in this on-going investigation of the Beta Key Bandits.

You guys are too close this and I can't risk having you maniacs blowing this thing out proportion with the mayor STILL breathing down my neck over the last wreckless stunt you two pulled...Don't even start with that! I don't care how many lives you saved from that whole baby/puppy orphanage Russian terrorist mafia hostage situation. You were lucky that didn’t turn as bad as it could of and you’re lucky now that I don’t have you goons arrested.

Now get out of my sight, I want you out MY office, out of MY department, and OUT OF MY GOD DAM STREETS!!!

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bust them down to traffic duty!

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Generally speaking, my experience with MMO's has been that you don't want your rabid fanboys and fanatics to influence the development process.

Fanboys are called fanboys because they believe in something, often to the exclusion of all reason.

If they want a special feature ingame, and don't get it, they'll bitch and cry, and soil the reputation of the game before it's ever released.

If they want that special feature, and get it, and it's stupid and counter-intuitive (And it often is. Take WAR's insane number of servers at release, which was requested by the fanbase, as an example.), you'll piss off everyone else, and you'll be left with a rapidly dwindling core of fanboys who are all too happy to turn their back on you for the latest game that promises to be the next big PVP MMO, or something similar.

Better to have moderate, reasonable gamers in your beta, who have a background with beta testing games, rather then some kid who just wants to jizz all over your game for a couple months before starting to bitch over someone pissing in his proverbial cereal.

This totally isn't an offer for me to help beta test the game over those schmucks on those other forums.
    Ok. Maybe it is, just a little bit.

Archonex on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Show of hands, who wants to kill all beta testers who got in before us when this game comes out?
    Not that I'm bitter or anything.
    Alright I'm very bitter.
    Coffee bitter.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    I'm jealous

Just one bit
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Two bits jealous

One bit sexy

I've had it up to here with you two loose cannons. Flippy, Raslin, I want your badges and your wangs on my desk first thing tomorrow morning. As of this moment you're no longer detectives in this on-going investigation of the Beta Key Bandits.

You guys are too close this and I can't risk having you maniacs blowing this thing out proportion with the mayor STILL breathing down my neck over the last wreckless stunt you two pulled...Don't even start with that! I don't care how many lives you saved from that whole baby/puppy orphanage Russian terrorist mafia hostage situation. You were lucky that didn’t turn as bad as it could of and you’re lucky now that I don’t have you goons arrested.

Now get out of my sight, I want you out MY office, out of MY department, and OUT OF MY GOD DAM STREETS!!!

Damnit sarge, you cannot do this to us. We are THIS close to blowing the lid off of this entire operation. You can talk all you want from your comfy office chair, but there are lives that need beta keys, and I don't know about you, but I can't sleep knowing that kids are dying for a key.

You can take my badge, AND my wang, but I won't rest until we finish the job.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Whoa whoa whoa, let's all calm down...because I'm three days away from retiring and sailing off to the bahamas

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    My dear lieutenant Raslin. You've been very... meddlesome in your investigation of my scheme, but the time for games is over.

If you do not cease this foolishness and forget all about it immediately, you may find that you'll have lost more than your badge and your wang when it's all said and done.

*Picture of your wife and three beautiful daughters*

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love every single one of you.

<3

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Each and every one of you is a winner.

More beta news, courtesy of APB-Evolved:
    Those anxiously waiting for any news in regards to the APB closed beta can read the response below from Deum (RTW Community Officer).

"Guys, we totally understand you want to get your hands on the Beta. We're probably more excited than you are to start letting people in. However, as with everything at RTW, we're not going to send out broader public invites until we're 100% happy with how things are running. Launching an online title of this scale is an incredible undertaking (even at the beta stage) and it's always going to be slightly bumpy.

But saying that, we're so close, I can smell it (or that could just be the ops team, they've been here a while) and we will be letting people in soon. We're in a very good place and we want your first experiences in APB to be as smooth and hassle free as we can possibly make it at this testing phase."

Biosys on
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ressurecting the thread once more, with Episode 12 of the APB Podcast, Q&A with the Design Lead, and the final part of the Mark Rein gameplay video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PU89O2Xjg0&feature=player_embedded#

Gameplay is pretty good, with more gunplay and some rooftop action.

Biosys on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also the first beta invites went out.

EDIT: From the forums I'm on, and here, it seems to be a rather small initial group, with some press included.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Someone in SE++ got into the beta. Everyone hates him.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I get an email today from Realtime Worlds with the subject "Thank you for you interest in APB!".

It was for a survey.

Fuck

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm too old for this shit.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I received an email inviting me to the beta (yay!) but then when I log in to actually download the client I get ...

"Too many failed attempts to log in have been made from this IP address. This IP address has been temporarily blocked and customer services have been alerted. Please email support@apb.com for assistance. Thank you. "

Now I DID have to try a few times to create a strong enough password at the initial creation screen but not at the actual log in.

Excessive swearing to be imagined. Have emailed support so fingers crossed.

Anyone else in and have anything to report?

Muppetman on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Muppetman wrote: »

No, but from now on we'll all hate you.

Peewi on
  • Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    Muppetman wrote: »

No, but from now on we'll all hate you.

Don't hate! Point and laugh at how fate chose me for excellence, then thought again and returned me to mediocrity

Muppetman on
    camo_sig2-400.png