As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS2 99$ at Target 2/24

CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed.TejasRegistered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
So, starting Sunday the PS2 will be 99$ at Target. I thought I'd give everyone here a heads up.

So, is it time for me to finally go back and get one of these? I really really really need to play God of War I and II, especially considering I'll be buying God of War: Chains of Olympus for my PSP. It's odd, I have a PS3 (40g, yeah yeah-I should have just gotten the BC) and a PSP, but I haven't owned a PS2.

Is it worth 100$ if all I really want is both God of Wars?

Crayon on

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Huh, perhaps now eventually I'll own one. It's about time it hit the $100 mark.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Finally! I've been waiting for this for a long time.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Crayon wrote: »
    So, starting Sunday the PS2 will be 99$ at Target. I thought I'd give everyone here a heads up.

So, is it time for me to finally go back and get one of these? I really really really need to play God of War I and II, especially considering I'll be buying God of War: Chains of Olympus for my PSP. It's odd, I have a PS3 (40g, yeah yeah-I should have just gotten the BC) and a PSP, but I haven't owned a PS2.

Convince yourself that you really only want it for GoW, but let yourself bask in the awesomeness of the PS2 catalog.

Pretty much the best system ever made. I need a new one as well, since the latch on my PS2 is shot and doesn't detect the lid as being closed.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Convince yourself that you really only want it for GoW, but let yourself bask in the awesomeness of the PS2 catalog.

Pretty much the best system ever made. I need a new one as well, since the latch on my PS2 is shot and doesn't detect the lid as being closed.

Yeah, the only problem is that when I start thinking about it I'd have to get a memory card, component cable, and then all those games. I mean, I could just use that wonderful money on finally buying Guitar Hero III and other shit I like for the ps3. It's a tough call, but I might just pull the trigger.

Crayon on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Does the ad say that the sale is just for Target?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    Does the ad say that the sale is just for Target?

It's just for Target, but as per usual you can price match at pretty much any other big box store in your area. Honestly though, I imagine it's just a sign of a standard universal price cut...soon anyways.

Crayon on
  • Options
    JeffyJeffy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why would you need to buy a component cable> Your PS3 one should work fine, unless of course you don't have one, then I don't see why you would buy one for your PS2 if your PS3 isn't even high def.

Jeffy on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Yeah, the only problem is that when I start thinking about it I'd have to get a memory card, component cable, and then all those games. I mean, I could just use that wonderful money on finally buying Guitar Hero III and other shit I like for the ps3. It's a tough call, but I might just pull the trigger.

Oh, you'll be playing on an HD? I'm sorry. Only a few PS2 games will look good, even with component cables. But the GoW games will (I believe the second was specifically optimized for HD).

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Jeffy wrote: »
    Why would you need to buy a component cable> Your PS3 one should work fine, unless of course you don't have one, then I don't see why you would buy one for your PS2 if your PS3 isn't even high def.

I use an hdmi cable from my ps3 to my tv. I have the component ps3 cables laying around somewhere. But they'll work with the PS2?

Crayon on
  • Options
    JeffyJeffy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yea they're the same as the PS2 ones.

Jeffy on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not a bad value for broke as gamers.

Grab PS2, about 10 or so must have games (probably now in the bargain bins) and presto, fun as gaming at cheap ass price. Sorry, I just have a friend who loooves video games, but in his situation, they are a luxury but this is good news. ^^

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    One hundo? Not bad, I always wanted to have on of these in my room.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    PowerslavePowerslave Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've been needing to replace my worn-out launch system for a while now (I could never get through GoW2 because it would stop reading the disc, and I haven't been able to play entire DVDs for almost a year now) and 100 bucks sounds about the right price to do that.

Powerslave on
    "Never trust anyone who spells 'magic' with a K."
  • Options
    astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Have they incorporated the power supply into the console itself so that it's no longer a separate brick attached to the power cord?

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tesco in the UK has just dropped the price to £50 too, when most places are selling it for £80/90.

Maybe it's finally slowing down?

LewieP on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    astroboy wrote: »
    Have they incorporated the power supply into the console itself so that it's no longer a separate brick attached to the power cord?

No way. That'd make the unit itself much larger

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Deusfaux wrote: »

The redesign released in Japan is the same size and has an internal power converter. It hit in December, and I was damn sure it would have hit the states at $99 right in time for Christmas, but I guess the PS2 is still selling just fine at $129 that Sony didn't feel the need to drop the price any.

I'm curious as to whether or not it's the redesign, or if this price cut is just to get rid of all of the stock before the new PS2 model hits shelves in NA.

Einhander on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why the hell is the PS2 still $100 when I can pick up a Gamecube for $30 and the Gamecube's hardware is more powerful and costs more money to manufacture?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Einhander wrote: »

The redesign released in Japan is the same size and has an internal power converter. It hit in December, and I was damn sure it would have hit the states at $99 right in time for Christmas, but I guess the PS2 is still selling just fine at $129 that Sony didn't feel the need to drop the price any.

I'm curious as to whether or not it's the redesign, or if this price cut is just to get rid of all of the stock before the new PS2 model hits shelves in NA.

I see! SCPH-90000

cool

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Why the hell is the PS2 still $100 when I can pick up a Gamecube for $30 and the Gamecube's hardware is more powerful and costs more money to manufacture?

Probably because the Gamecube's library is somewhat dismal compared to the PS2's. No bias here, it's just plain fact. Yes, the PS2 has way more shitty games, but it also has way more awesometastic games. It's the games that drive the price of the hardware.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008

Uhhh... when is the last time you saw a brand new GameCube for $30? MSRP on Cubes is still $99.99 as far as I can tell.

I can pick up a used PS2 for $50 on Craigslist. What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

Einhander on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Supply and demand.

For various reasons.

Some simple, some complicated.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Is that Gamecube new?

Did it ever sell for $30 new?

Don't be stupid. You can't compare used prices to new prices.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is that Gamecube new?

Did it ever sell for $30 new?

Don't be stupid. You can't compare used prices to new prices.

Amazon DotD had a GC for $35 at one point.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I picked up my PS2 slim for $100 from BestBuy... I think there was a sale at the time... but this was several months before the release of the PS3....

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Last time I was in KB toys they had slim PS2s + extra controller + a game for $100.

Sanders on