As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Getting a Ps3, need some games now.

• BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    I'm really surprised I'm the only one that recommended Call of Duty 4. It freaking won game of the year from many places. (And its currently on sale for $40) Also infinity ward is actively supporting the game with patches and stuff. Rock Band is tons of fun if you got folks to play with and can afford the price. (On sale for $150 in a few places)

Your not the first person to mention this game.... I didn't type my games out, I took a picture, on page 1... CoD4. its there :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gatsuioki wrote: »
    UberEv wrote: »
    Rizzi wrote: »
    What's UT III like?
    Any good or a waste of money?

I'm really enjoying it so far, but there is a bit of lag from Japan (as expected). I'd say though if you speak/read any Japanese at all I cannot recommend Disgaea 3 enough.

Seriously? I watched the preview, and it looks like they took Disgaea 2 (which I love the hell out of and haven't played in weeks.) and mixed up the hair and facial expressions and said "Voila! Disgaea 3!"

How different is the gameplay from 2?

It's not really all that different, it's Disgaea. The courtroom is now a classroom, and there are minor changes to classes, how you aquire them and a new cast of characters, but I mean you come to Disgaea for the traditional gameplay, not huge innovation. The soundtrack is amazing, the voice overs are good and it's as enjoyable as it always was. Plus Prinnies! Who doesn't love prinnies?

UberEv on
  • AbriaelAbriael Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If one loves anime, Gundam target in sight/crossfire is pretty good as well even if a bit old. It got AWFUL (and unwarranted, probably because reviewers were expecting an shooty FPS with mechas instead of what feels pretty much like a simulator) reviews/scores in the west, and good/great ones in Japan.
    I might be a bit japanese-biased but i tend to agree with the japanese reviews. The game is quite technical, needs lot of tactical use of your weaponry (ammo is VERY limited, just like in the anime, expecially for beam guns,so you need to make every bullet count) and cover, and with the two sides campaign and tons of mobile suits to unlock it has some great replayability. Finished the fed campaign twice and the Zeon campaign once and still i'm not one bit tired of it.

Abriael on
  • ArtArt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Art: Those games are on the 360...

No wonder no one recommended them. :|
    You'll have to forgive my foolishness, I was running on very little sleep at the time and had just seen a bit of the gameplay.

Art on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Darkness. It is my game of the year for 2007 and I played pretty much everything that isn't on the Wii. It is fucking great and under appreciated.

corin7 on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Are the recommendations the same if one has never played a PS2? I'm getting a PS3 pretty soon for blu-ray and will probably snag some games, but don't want to just pick up "playstation staples" that are more fun if you've played the previous 2-3 games on PS2.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Egg: The MGS collection is coming out. As in, MGS1,2,3 on PS2 (although MGS1 is still the PSX version). Basically, if you haven't owned a PS2, you have to play these games if for no other reason but to get ready for MGS4.

Also, SHADOW OF COLOSSUS.

Resident Evil 4 is a must (no, you don't have to have played the old ones)

Ghosthunter was fun and, along with RE4, is a really good indication that the PS2 is still a powerful little box.

You also have to play Viewtiful Joe if you haven't already on GC.

I'll stop there. I'm sure if you do a search we have about 3951032910395 PS2 game recommendation threads that will be far more comprehensive than anything we'll recommend here.

liquidlogan on
    edited February 2008
    I mean, I'm getting the 40 gig w/ no backwards compatibility and don't really plan on playing PS2 games. but is R&C still good if you've not played the PS2 games? Like how super mario world is still good if you haven't played 1-3.

Mostly it's a time thing -- I could play through all the missed PS2 games, of which there are many, but w/ a full time job and a master's program night classes for at least the next 2 years, working through a PS2 backlog simply doesn't interest me. Especially if, for example, the PS3 R&C game is as good, or better, than the PS2 versions, and has fancy pants graphics to boot. But if the games are much less fun without that background, I'll wait on picking them up. Uncharted is new property so that's on the short list, but Devil May Cry 4 sounds more like something that's much more awesome if you've played 1-3. But I don't know, since I haven't played any of them.

EggyToast on
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is wipeout HD out yet? I can't imagine how good that will look on a 1080p TV.

xraydog on
    edited February 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    I mean, I'm getting the 40 gig w/ no backwards compatibility and don't really plan on playing PS2 games. but is R&C still good if you've not played the PS2 games? Like how super mario world is still good if you haven't played 1-3.

Mostly it's a time thing -- I could play through all the missed PS2 games, of which there are many, but w/ a full time job and a master's program night classes for at least the next 2 years, working through a PS2 backlog simply doesn't interest me. Especially if, for example, the PS3 R&C game is as good, or better, than the PS2 versions, and has fancy pants graphics to boot. But if the games are much less fun without that background, I'll wait on picking them up. Uncharted is new property so that's on the short list, but Devil May Cry 4 sounds more like something that's much more awesome if you've played 1-3. But I don't know, since I haven't played any of them.

I am enjoying DMC4 a lot and haven't played any of the others.

corin7 on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    corin7 wrote: »
    The Darkness. It is my game of the year for 2007 and I played pretty much everything that isn't on the Wii. It is fucking great and under appreciated.

I must politely disagree. I found The Darkness to be derivative and boring. It's your run of the mill shooter and the darkness powers didn't do anything to help the gameplay. I was very glad when I was done. Production values were pretty high, though.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

I finished and enjoyed R&C immensely, and I haven't play the others either, so I would definitely recommend getting it.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
    edited February 2008

I must politely disagree. I found The Darkness to be derivative and boring. It's your run of the mill shooter and the darkness powers didn't do anything to help the gameplay. I was very glad when I was done. Production values were pretty high, though.

To each their own. I found that the guns didn't do anything to help the gameplay. Towards the end of the game I hardly used them at all. More importantly what I liked about the game was the story and even more so how the story was told. This game is exactly how games should incorporate stories with the gameplay. I suppose if you completely skipped the story and only used the guns you might make a case for it being derivative and boring. But other than that the game breaks new ground on almost every level. I was more involved and invested in the characters, the story and the world since anything I have played since maybe Torment. It was that good for me. This is not a knock on you at all I understand the game isn't for everyone, but almost every person who has said they weren't a fan has had basically the same complaint as you. If you are playing the Darkness like you play CoD4 you are missing the point.

corin7 on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    xraydog wrote: »

Nope but they did release a new trailer just last week. It looks pretty awesome.

EggyToast: I played very little of the first four R&C's and I had a great time playing R&C: ToD. And while I did play DMC1-3 before playing DMC4, it shouldn't be too much of an obstacle.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008

To each their own. I found that the guns didn't do anything to help the gameplay. Towards the end of the game I hardly used them at all. More importantly what I liked about the game was the story and even more so how the story was told. This game is exactly how games should incorporate stories with the gameplay. I suppose if you completely skipped the story and only used the guns you might make a case for it being derivative and boring. But other than that the game breaks new ground on almost every level. I was more involved and invested in the characters, the story and the world since anything I have played since maybe Torment. It was that good for me. This is not a knock on you at all I understand the game isn't for everyone, but almost every person who has said they weren't a fan has had basically the same complaint as you. If you are playing the Darkness like you play CoD4 you are missing the point.

If there's one thing Starbreeze does like fucking champs, it's weave a compelling narrative into their games.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    got my refurb 60gig today, and 2 bluray movies but I didn't grab a game. this week I plan to get uncharted.

very nice little system! :D I didn't know it was as gadgety as it is. fun fun fun just to toy with.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    xraydog wrote: »

Nope but they did release a new trailer just last week. It looks pretty awesome.

EggyToast: I played very little of the first four R&C's and I had a great time playing R&C: ToD. And while I did play DMC1-3 before playing DMC4, it shouldn't be too much of an obstacle.

There's going to be a wipeout HD? How in the hell did that pass me by?

Is there a planned release date?

Also, do we have any idea when GT5 demo will hit? I'm annoyed I missed the demo on the japanese store.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    There's going to be a wipeout HD? How in the hell did that pass me by?

Is there a planned release date?

Also, do we have any idea when GT5 demo will hit? I'm annoyed I missed the demo on the japanese store.

two, supposedly - a psn HD remake of previous tracks - wipeout HD - and a brand new full release due later

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Ugh, Six-Axis motion controls? I hope they don't make the fatal mistake of making them required. The motionsensing in the PS3 has been pretty horribly implemented up to now (It barely seems analogue, you're either tilting or you're not!).

That said uncharted did it well.

Other than that, I'm well up for these games. Roll on Wipeout HD!

Mr_Grinch on
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ratchet and Clank is pure joy, and I say that as one who never played a single R&C before.

Super Stardust HD is excellent.

And Folklore is awesome, from my preliminary experience with it.

cheez on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Only two days till I get my ps3.
    I haven't been this excited about anything video game related in years.. :P
    Can I just plug any old keyboard and mouse into it?

Rizzi on
    edited February 2008
    As long as it's USB, yeah. I just picked up a cheap wireless set for £8. It uses one USB socket for the transmitter and works perfectly well.

If you're interested in getting a camera for it, the 360 Live Vision camera works great :)

Mr_Grinch on
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    is R&C still good if you've not played the PS2 games? Like how super mario world is still good if you haven't played 1-3.

I was in that same boat...picked up R&C on a whim after not even playing the demo. Very fun. In fact, I'm in the same boat as you (very little time to play), but I'm thinking about going back to play previous R&C games if they're even half as enjoyable as this. (Also, RE: Motion controls...R&C uses the Sixaxis for flying controls and a couple other things, and it seems to work pretty well.)

I also have Heavenly Sword, Assassin's Creed, and Burnout Paradise. I have not regretted any of those purchases, either. (Oh, and The Orage Box for PC...excellent, but I can't speak for the PS3 version.)

I'm looking at getting Uncharted, but I figure being a marquee title, it should be in the first round of Greatest Hits (or Super Hits, or DA HITZ or whatever they'll end up calling them). Maybe I'll pick up DMC4 at some point, also.

RandomHajile on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am really looking forward to getting a PS3 now. I've railed against it since it was released, but with PSP connectivity, the victory of Blu-Ray, and FUCKING RAWK BAND, I'm all over it. This thread is doing an excellent job of showing me more stuff that I'll have to buy.

I'll just have to make sure that my friends in Vancouver never find out that I'm buying one. I'd never hear the end of it.

June absolutely cannot get here fast enough.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    edited February 2008
    The blu-ray winning probably turned a lot of heads. I'm planning on picking up my PS3 this weekend, and now have to decide between which game to pick up with it. It's between R&C, DMC4, or Uncharted.

So which one is more "pick up & play"? I have a class finishing up this coming week and won't have time to get sucked into a game.

EggyToast on
    edited February 2008
    I'd say Ratchett and Clank is the most pick up and play out of those. Definitely not Uncharted, it'll suck you in and not let you go.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited February 2008
    I'd say Ratchett and Clank is the most pick up and play out of those. Definitely not Uncharted, it'll suck you in and not let you go.

And yet you should still buy Uncharted. It is the better game out of those 3 by far.

corin7 on
    edited February 2008

And yet you should still buy Uncharted. It is the better game out of those 3 by far.

Agreed. It's the best game I currently own on all three consoles. And I still haven't completed it, curse my gf insisting we play it together.

I'm so running through it again once we're done.

Mr_Grinch on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Even I thought the undying love for Uncharted was a bit overdone before I played it.

Now you can count me amongst their ranks. The game is downright amazing. Graphically its gorgeous, the voiceacting and storyline is amazing, the characters are all great, and the gameplay is addicting. Standing in one of the jungle areas I looked around and thought:

"Out of all the games I played thus far, this is the first one that feels truely next-gen".

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
    edited February 2008
    Even I thought the undying love for Uncharted was a bit overdone before I played it.

Now you can count me amongst their ranks. The game is downright amazing. Graphically its gorgeous, the voiceacting and storyline is amazing, the characters are all great, and the gameplay is addicting. Standing in one of the jungle areas I looked around and thought:

"Out of all the games I played thus far, this is the first one that feels truely next-gen".

Seriously? I mean, it's an excellent game and one everybody should play, but there's nothing about it that couldn't have been done last gen.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Seriously? I mean, it's an excellent game and one everybody should play, but there's nothing about it that couldn't have been done last gen.

Really? What about the animation system? I cant think of any system last gen that would have been able to do that.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It’s funny to watch peoples expression the first time they see Everyday Shooter played.

If their not actually playing it, and not introduced to it, an innocent bystander, come walking over saying "wow what the fuck is this?" usually followed by a long pause then followed by a "wow that’s pretty bad ass".

For the price and amount of unlockables, I think it’s worth the admission.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008

Really? What about the animation system? I cant think of any system last gen that would have been able to do that.

It might have been possible... might. The AI is pretty fucking awesome to be honest. I don't think there is any one thing that sets uncharted apart though. It is one of those games where the sum is greater than all the parts. At first I thought I like Heavenly Sword better but about half way through I realized how much fun I was having. The Darkness is pretty much the only game I enjoyed more that was made in 2k7.
    It’s funny to watch peoples expression the first time they see Everyday Shooter played.

If their not actually playing it, and not introduced to it, an innocent bystander, come walking over saying "wow what the fuck is this?" usually followed by a long pause then followed by a "wow that’s pretty bad ass".

For the price and amount of unlockables, I think it’s worth the admission.

My favorite PSN game hands down. For me it is way more fun than super star dust.

corin7 on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hot Shots Golf: Out Of Bounds comes out March 18th. Looks great, will probably be my next PS3 purchase.

EDIT: That was in America mind you. I have no idea when it comes out in Australia

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited February 2008

It might have been possible... might. The AI is pretty fucking awesome to be honest. I don't think there is any one thing that sets uncharted apart though.

OK, it'll be "next" on the list, then. It sounds like a good game to get when I have some free time and want something to get into once I finish up this class. I'm running through my month of "Prime" on amazon, since we're updating our whole living room, so R&C is ordered (and should be here thursday, before the PS3).

EggyToast on
    edited February 2008

What, you mean like the facial animations? Half-Life 2 on the Xbox had excellent facial animations too.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

What, you mean like the facial animations? Half-Life 2 on the Xbox had excellent facial animations too.

I think he means the blending of animations, not just the face.

SpikedFreak on
    edited February 2008

I think he means the blending of animations, not just the face.

It's late, so I may just not be picking up on the argument, but you mean body animations, and transitioning from one stance to another? If that's the case, Prince of Persia did that last gen too. If not, then fuck, I need sleep.

I dunno... when people talk about games feeling truely "next gen" very few games actually make that transition in my mind. Dead Rising is one. WiiSports. Little Big Planet looks to be another. Games that just would not have been possible two and a half years ago on the consoles. Just looking pretty, or having a bit smoother animation doesn't really cut it for me.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    They could have easily done Dead Rising last-gen.

Decrease your poly-count, and viola. It's not like Dead Rising did anything revolutionary.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    the amazing thing about the animations in uncharted is that they're almost always different. there's no stock pose - there's a pose for nate's hands, a pose for his legs, his posture, his face, and they mix up all the time, whether he's hiding behind a rock or gazing out over a gorgeous vista.

i kind of agree that it's the only game thus far to feel really ahead of the rest. it looks phenomenal, the one-actor voice/mocap recording is something that should be taken up by all games for cinematics immediately, and the gameplay is rich enough to return to many times over. it's not only my favourite game of the generation, it's probably my favourite game ever. but don't trust me - buy the sucker, if you haven't already!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg