As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Getting a Ps3, need some games now.

• Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Arkady wrote: »
    So I'm curious as to how long Uncharted is, gameplay wise?

I think my easy run came in just under 8 hours.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And I'm off to go pick up my tv and ps3.
    And some ethernet cable. Lots and lots of ethernet cable.

Rizzi on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    man pick up a wireless router! you can grab them cheap as pies at officeworks

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dude, a Tekken downloadable-only game? Awesome. It's probably like 40 bucks, huh?

Don't go in expecting all the additional stuff console Tekken's usually come with though. It's a port of the arcade version, so there's no story modes or anything like that. It does have an online mode though but I hear it's kind of dead due to the lag.

iirc, it's only $30, so that's a big fucking win right there.

just to clarify, tekken 5:dr is an "expansion" of tekken 5 (like ttt was an expansion of tekken 3). so there's no real story. they do add 3 new characters though (lily, dragonuv and armor king) and those three have downloadable endings (and in game stories i think...).

anyway, for $30 you cant really go wrong.

Ketherial on
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So there is a slim chance I will have my PS3 today! :) If not early next week at least. I already have Resistance and Motorstorm, and 2 blu rays to try out on it. My first port of call is probably going to be setting up a UK PSN account and downloading Gran Turismo HD and the Uncharted demo. I like most types of games but especially Racing and FPS, is there anything else (preferably free) I should download right off the bat?

Also, is there a demo of Ninja Gaiden? I will be importing it in the coming weeks anyway (I have the Xbox one, and I want the decapitations!) as I need to prepare myself for NG2 :)

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
    edited February 2008
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    So there is a slim chance I will have my PS3 today! :) If not early next week at least. I already have Resistance and Motorstorm, and 2 blu rays to try out on it. My first port of call is probably going to be setting up a UK PSN account and downloading Gran Turismo HD and the Uncharted demo. I like most types of games but especially Racing and FPS, is there anything else (preferably free) I should download right off the bat?

Also, is there a demo of Ninja Gaiden? I will be importing it in the coming weeks anyway (I have the Xbox one, and I want the decapitations!) as I need to prepare myself for NG2 :)

Yes, there's a demo of NG.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited February 2008

Sweet, I will grab that as well then :)

I have an old Plantronics bluetooth headset (like 5 years old) kicking about somewhere that I've not used in a long time. I can't remember the model number though. What are the odds it will work as a PS3 headset?

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • RookieRookie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just bought a PS3 myself a couple weeks ago, and I just finished Uncharted about 10 minutes ago.

I loved every minute of it. I didn't think there was really anything specifically outstanding about it, but it was just a really fun, well-paced game. I can't wait to see where else Naughty Dog is gonna take Mr. Drake.

I guess now I can go back to playing PS2 games until a game worth picking up comes out.

Rookie on
    TheRizzle.png
    PSN: TheSuperVillain
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    I just got a PS3, I'll be picking up Uncharted tomorrow and Assassin's creed should come in the mail soon.

I got lucky and was able to pick up rock band for $100... speaking as someone who never even played guitar hero, it's a LOT of fun!

Wow, how'd you do that? The best I was able to find was the 150 at amazon, with free shiping. Of course, after the 132 rebate for sending back GHwii...

Anyway, which shooter would you guys recommend, Resistance or Warhawk?

A friend only has a 360, but bought the PS3 version of rock band by mistake, and for some reason he couldn't return it.

fallaxdraco on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rookie wrote: »
    I just bought a PS3 myself a couple weeks ago, and I just finished Uncharted about 10 minutes ago.

I loved every minute of it. I didn't think there was really anything specifically outstanding about it, but it was just a really fun, well-paced game. I can't wait to see where else Naughty Dog is gonna take Mr. Drake.

I guess now I can go back to playing PS2 games until a game worth picking up comes out.

Do you have warhawk? We have a pretty active community here and the game is only 40 bucks.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
    edited February 2008
    After some initial confusion on how to get my Hdmi cable set up.
    Wow.
    I.. Wow.
    I can't watch tv on this till tomorrow as I kinda forgot to get a tv antenna (don't have pay tv)
    But.. Wow. Uncharted = Yummy yummy yummy yummy.
    Now to wait for my internet speed to go back to normal, download some updates and figure out how to make a Playstation network account. Thing.
    Colour me impressed.

Rizzi on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    make sure you start a second account for the us store. otherwise you'll be waiting weeks for demos etc

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I have an old Plantronics bluetooth headset (like 5 years old) kicking about somewhere that I've not used in a long time. I can't remember the model number though. What are the odds it will work as a PS3 headset?

I don't believe we have the demo on the UK store, at least we didn't last time I checked. There's one on the Japan store and one on the USA store though. If you plan on buying it, may I suggest you go the import route? It's around the same price but the UK version is cut and the USA version isn't.

Unless lack of decaptiations doesn't bother you (I just hate owning cut products :) )

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited February 2008
    How do I start an account? >.>
    I can't have my pc on at the same time as my Ps3, because there isn't enough room on the power pack :P
    So I'm trying to figure it out.

Rizzi on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    There's Skate, Tony Hawk: Proving Ground and Tony Hawks Project 8.
    Why are there already two Tony Hawk games?
    (Also which is better? :P)

skate

Sam on
    edited February 2008
    Yay. Account made. I am binglesthecat. Add me?

Rizzi on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I shall do! What's the time difference between UK and Australia? Are you likely to be up at the same time as me for a game of Warhawk (if/when you get it ;) )

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited February 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I shall do! What's the time difference between UK and Australia? Are you likely to be up at the same time as me for a game of Warhawk (if/when you get it ;) )

I'll probably be on forever. I can browse youtube on this thing!

Rizzi on
    edited February 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I don't believe we have the demo on the UK store, at least we didn't last time I checked. There's one on the Japan store and one on the USA store though. If you plan on buying it, may I suggest you go the import route? It's around the same price but the UK version is cut and the USA version isn't.

Unless lack of decaptiations doesn't bother you (I just hate owning cut products :) )

I just signed up for the PS Store (posty got the PS3 here at 8:15am, whoop!) and I can see the Ninja Gaiden demo, I just queued it up this second, I will definatly be making a US account as well though :) Oh and I will definatly be importing NG, I hate cut products as well.

PSN ID now in sig :D

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
    edited February 2008
    Ratchet and Clank gave me an erection.
    1080i is gorgeous.

Rizzi on
  • thunderswinethunderswine Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I finally got around to picking up Uncharted thanks to the recommendations in this thread, since it was apparently lost in the holiday shuffle for me.

Thank you gentlemen. I can't believe I deprived myself of it for so long. To anyone still on the fence, it's as close to a masterpiece as I've played yet on PS3.

Now to see if I can blast through R&C in a week before Brawl devours any and all of my free time.

thunderswine on
    edited February 2008
    So Rizzi and I are both enjoying our new PS3s today :D

Sorry for the hijack, but I am having trouble getting online with Resistance, I have a PS3 from Hong Kong and a UK copy of the game, I read that the game has global servers, but before I go trouble shooting is this a known problem, or should I look elsewhere?

Edit: Also I was told that Resistance would need a save for a UK/US PS3 on the HDD or there would be no blood, however there seems to be lots of blood splats and what not, and I havnt dont that yet... am I just lucky or should it be flowing like water :p

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
    edited February 2008
    After some initial confusion on how to get my Hdmi cable set up.
    Wow.
    I.. Wow.
    I can't watch tv on this till tomorrow as I kinda forgot to get a tv antenna (don't have pay tv)
    But.. Wow. Uncharted = Yummy yummy yummy yummy.
    Now to wait for my internet speed to go back to normal, download some updates and figure out how to make a Playstation network account. Thing.
    Colour me impressed.

What's funny is Uncharted is running in 720p. Check out some bluray movies sometime.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    flOw

Evander on
    edited February 2008
    I think I might have to pick up Ninja Gaiden.
    I require ninja's in High Definition.

Rizzi on
  • RookieRookie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Do you have warhawk? We have a pretty active community here and the game is only 40 bucks.

I'll be picking it up sometime this weekend. I'm not sure when you guys play, but I'll check out the Warhawk thread.

Can anyone suggest a headset? I've heard some pretty awful voice stuff online and I just want to make sure that I don't end up with a cheapie that nobody can hear me with.

Rookie on
    TheRizzle.png
    PSN: TheSuperVillain
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I like most types of games but especially Racing and FPS, is there anything else (preferably free) I should download right off the bat?

The DMC4 demo on the PS Store.

Also, download this, this, this, this, this, this and this.

Then put them on a memory stick/USB Drive under PS3/THEME. Then put your memory stick/USB Drive in your PS3, go to Theme Settings -> Theme -> Install and then select the themes and it'll install them. Then go back to the Theme selection and pick one.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited March 2008

I'll be picking it up sometime this weekend. I'm not sure when you guys play, but I'll check out the Warhawk thread.

Can anyone suggest a headset? I've heard some pretty awful voice stuff online and I just want to make sure that I don't end up with a cheapie that nobody can hear me with.

Any Bluetooth headset that works with cell phones will work. I use a $10 one I got off woot for both my cell phone and PSN, and it works fine, but if you wanted a NICE one you could spend more. Prices range from $10-$200.

fallaxdraco on
    edited March 2008
    I like most types of games but especially Racing and FPS, is there anything else (preferably free) I should download right off the bat?

Then put them on a memory stick/USB Drive under PS3/THEME. Then put your memory stick/USB Drive in your PS3, go to Theme Settings -> Theme -> Install and then select the themes and it'll install them. Then go back to the Theme selection and pick one.

I don't have a memory stick.. Can I put them on my Ipod shuffle? :/

Rizzi on
    edited March 2008

If I have photos I want to upload, what file structure do I put those under on my thumb drive? PS3/PHOTO ?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited March 2008

I don't have a memory stick.. Can I put them on my Ipod shuffle? :/

If your shuffle is one of the old kind with the USB port, then yes. Otherwise, no, but you should be able to get to this website on your PS3's internet browser and download those directly.

fallaxdraco on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

If I have photos I want to upload, what file structure do I put those under on my thumb drive? PS3/PHOTO ?

No, just /PICTURE (while music goes in /MUSIC, videos go in /VIDEO and if you download firmware updates on your PC, you can put them in PS3/UPDATE). But if you put it in the wrong folder, you can press triangle, Display All and then search through the folder structure for the folder you put your pictures in.

Rizzi: I'm not sure. I've got a 80GB iPod Video and I can do it, so I don't think you should have any problems with an iPod shuffle.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited March 2008

No, just /PICTURE (while music goes in /MUSIC, videos go in /VIDEO and if you download firmware updates on your PC, you can put them in PS3/UPDATE). But if you put it in the wrong folder, you can press triangle, Display All and then search through the folder structure for the folder you put your pictures in.

Rizzi: I'm not sure. I've got a 80GB iPod Video and I can do it, so I don't think you should have any problems with an iPod shuffle.

Thanks, man.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited March 2008
    It won't let me buy things off the playstation store anymore? :S
    I bought CTR this morning, but now it refuses to put the funds in my wallet. I am using a debit card, if that matters? :/
    I want to play tekken.. :(

Rizzi on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thought you guys might like this.

http://www.psu.com/themes.php

I just downloaded this one, looks amazing.

http://www.psu.com/World-of-Mana--theme-1077.php

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited March 2008
    :x This is pissing me off.

Rizzi on
    edited March 2008
    It won't let me buy things off the playstation store anymore? :S
    I bought CTR this morning, but now it refuses to put the funds in my wallet. I am using a debit card, if that matters? :/
    I want to play tekken.. :(

You sure all the card's information is correct, you're not forgetting to put the security code in or anything? If re-entering the information doesn't help, and you're sure you have money in your account, call technical support.

fallaxdraco on
    edited March 2008
    I didn't change anything :/

Rizzi on
  • SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Did you make sure your bank didn't put a block on it? Banks and credit companies are strange. I've had my wow account put on hold for no reason multiple times.

SpikedFreak on