As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Getting a Ps3, need some games now.

1235»

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ya. Called 'em. Oh well, I'll just buy Virtua Fighter..

Rizzi on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'll probably actually try looking this up tomorrow, but what games run in 1080? I assumed they all would but obviously that was silly.

probably can't actually buy a game for a couple weeks, some other bills and only a part time job to speak of, BUT I'll pretty definitely be starting with Uncharted. MLB the show was nice but I'm not sure I'll enjoy a sports game enough to actually buy.

played the pixeljunk demo today and that game is awesome. I find it funny that my favoite thing about the new systems, all of them, are the small gems I can download. perfect for my playstyle.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited March 2008
    Oh man, That little big planet theme is awsome.

Rizzi on
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This seems like a good a place as any to ask. What kind of cables would I need to hook a PS3 into a Computer LCD Monitor?

TheGerbil on
    edited March 2008
    also "as good a place as any"... what the fuck is up with trying to use my credit card on psnetwork? it doesn't accept it, and then it says it can't update my information (even when I switched to using a different card).

it did manage to charge me $1 for each attempt.

what the FUCK? I want to play pixelmonsters first of all, second this is a very strange system they have in place... and I'd really like to get around it.

Variable on
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    This seems like a good a place as any to ask. What kind of cables would I need to hook a PS3 into a Computer LCD Monitor?

I actually just got my cable for this today. Your LCD monitor should have a DVI port(check.) If so, you'll need a HDMI to DVI cable, which you can get from monoprice.com for like 5 bucks. DO NOT go to best buy, they will try to charge you like $70.

My 22" widescreen isn't as good as the 37" hdtv I had before it got stolen, but it's a lot better than a standard def display.
    Variable wrote: »
    also "as good a place as any"... what the fuck is up with trying to use my credit card on psnetwork? it doesn't accept it, and then it says it can't update my information (even when I switched to using a different card).

it did manage to charge me $1 for each attempt.

what the FUCK? I want to play pixelmonsters first of all, second this is a very strange system they have in place... and I'd really like to get around it.

I'm pretty sure those $1 charges aren't REAL charges, they are just making sure your card is real, and those charges will be refunded. It sounds like they put your account on hold because they think you are using a stolen card or something. Should go away on its own after a few days, but it's still pretty unacceptable.

fallaxdraco on
    edited March 2008
    I got it all sorted out. Thanks. I picked up a PS3 today with Ratchet and Clank and Ninja Gaiden: Sigma with plans to get other games soon. (80 Gig PS3 that is).

TheGerbil on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, if those $1 charges *don't* get refunded, call your bank. That's not cool. It's also weird that it didn't work, yet you still saw the charge. If they didn't alert you to any fee, then you shouldn't have to pay.

got my PS3 and new TV today, haven't actually played anything. Did watch A Scanner Darkly on Blu Ray, and was impressed by both the PS3 and the TV; the controller is surprisingly not bad as a remote.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited March 2008
    Burnout Paradise is awesome. Buy it.

Rizzi on
    edited March 2008
    I'm kinda tired of burnout games. Does Paradise have much else to offer other being a burnout game?

TheGerbil on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    I'm kinda tired of burnout games. Does Paradise have much else to offer other being a burnout game?

It's quite a bit different than the other Burnout 3-type games. It was a necessary step for the series, taking it to more of a free-roaming world feel. Feels fresh compared to the last one. I think you'll find a demo, too. Also R&C is awesome. Actually, anything by Insomniac is a must-buy in my opinion, and there aren't many development houses I say that of.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
    edited March 2008
    ah, thanks for that news. I'm still bummed it didn't work, but those charges while not wallet breaking, were just icing on the cake for how pissed I was.

feel much better now, besides the fact that I (according to other people's information) have to wait 48 hours to try again. grrrrr.

Variable on
    edited March 2008
    Uncharted is fun, but I wish Naughty Dog would go back to Crash Bandicoot. I miss good Crash Bandicoot games.. :(

Rizzi on
    edited March 2008
    I am actually browsing this on my ps3 right now... seems to be working correctly, and the USB keyboard works fine, even if it's kind of pointless. :) Anyway when connecting the PS3 to a DVI port watch out - unlike normal HDMI, DVI does not transmit audio, so you'll have to use either a "Digital audio optical" cable connected to a sound system which supports that, or the component audio plugged into a compatible stereo system.

fallaxdraco on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Uncharted is fun, but I wish Naughty Dog would go back to Crash Bandicoot. I miss good Crash Bandicoot games.. :(

Activision Universal Blizzard (or whatever they call themselves) own the Crash Bandicoot license so it's probably never going to happen. Same thing goes with Spyro and Insomniac.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I know.
    Wtf. My debit card works now. I didn't change anything! Oh well, downloading Crash Bandicoot, before it changes it s mind. I own Crash 2, 3 and now CTR and now the first one on my Ps3. Store has its moments...

Rizzi on
    edited March 2008
    Rizzi on
    edited March 2008
    Rocketman is pretty fun, but only if you have someone there to play it with.

fallaxdraco on
    edited March 2008
    The US playstation store has so much good stuff on it.. :( Like Spyro, and Super Puzzle Fighter 2, and Castlevania..
    Is it possible to get any of that stuff on mine? :(

Rizzi on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    you can try your credit card, but it might not work. i've got a canadian card so i can get whatever from it

i thnk there are ways to buy visa giftcards and the like so you can get credit on the us store, but the kind of websites that sell them seem untrustworthy

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited March 2008
    So I just bought a few pre-owned Ps1 games from my local EB Games. Spyro 2, 3 and Tomb Raider.
    How bad does a disk have to be scratched before a Ps3 won't read it properly? These games have some pretty long scratches on them. :|

Rizzi on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My oddworld Ibought is scratched up pretty good and that still works.

Has anyone tried Wipeout 3? It hangs on me (40gb model) seconds after starting the race.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited March 2008
    So uh, Spyro 2 doesn't work on Ps3. Works on my dying old Ps2 though. It has a small gouge in the disk. Is there any way I can fix that up?

Rizzi on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There is a device that will take DVDs (movies or game discs) apart and will buff out all the scratches on the plastic disc surface and put the disc back together. Some game stores have these equipped. My local Game Crazy that closed down had one and charged $8 to repair your games or movies.

Dark Shroud on
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Im bumping this, since I got a ps3 recently ,and i am exploiting the demos on the psstore like a champ :

COD4 - nice
    Resistance: Fall of man -- VERY cool story.. I like the achievements and gameplay
    Ratchet & Clank - Just a demo, but from what I have played: AWESOME
    Tiger Woods 08 : I like golf games, and I am debating buying this vs waiting for 09
    Lost Planet : just a demo so far, but it has potential.

Devil may cry 4 - the demo was interesting... i would rent it at least

Harry potter: meh
    Timeshift : Meh.. just another FPS with a gimmick, and I liked it the first time when it was called 'max Payne'

There is also a decent tower defense game (worth $10, i dunno) and Hot shots will be a purchase from me most likely.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
    edited March 2008
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    Im bumping this, since I got a ps3 recently ,and i am exploiting the demos on the psstore like a champ :

COD4 - nice
    Resistance: Fall of man -- VERY cool story.. I like the achievements and gameplay
    Tiger Woods 08 : I like golf games, and I am debating buying this vs waiting for 09

Timeshift : Meh.. just another FPS with a gimmick, and I liked it the first time when it was called 'max Payne'

There is also a decent tower defense game (worth $10, i dunno) and Hot shots will be a purchase from me most likely.

Correct.
    I'm trying to decide on something... SEGA Superstars Tennis, Condemned 2 or Resistance: Fall of man. I only have enough cash spare for two games.
    :|

Rizzi on
    edited March 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »

COD4 - nice

Correct.
    I'm trying to decide on something... SEGA Superstars Tennis, Condemned 2 or Resistance: Fall of man. I only have enough cash spare for two games.
    :|

I can afford games, but @ $60 a pop.. I will only buy games that I can get value out of. Tiger woods, Call of Duty, etc all offer replayability (i assume tennis as well)

i never played condemned, but Resistance is a *really* awesome story, and the game play is pretty good. I don't know if it will offer anything besides trying to get all the achievements after its beaten though... but there is a multiplayer component.

Seriously : look at blockbuster for rentals, or better yet, download the free demos of the games online and decide for yourself. Timeshift and Armored core *looked* cool, but the actual gameplay showed that to be false.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • walerianwalerian Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cod4 - I hate shooters but I play the hell out of this
    R:FoM - Great story, good single player, well worth it
    Ratchet and Clank - Damn close to perfection, it literally has just about everything a video game should
    MLB 08 the show - if you like baseball at all, this is addicting
    Assassins Creed - Kill people and get away with it!
    DMC4 - Yes, its easy, but its fun and very purty

I'm playing Viking: Battle for Asgard right now so I'll let you know if that eneds to be added when I'm done.

walerian on
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston Churchill
  • HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

COD4 - nice

Hey, whoa now! There's a CoD4 demo on PSN? Why don't I remember seeing a CoD4 PS3 demo?

Harakhti on
    edited March 2008
    Harakhti wrote: »

COD4 - nice

Hey, whoa now! There's a CoD4 demo on PSN? Why don't I remember seeing a CoD4 PS3 demo?

maybe there isn't .. i actually rented COD4, and I have a copy coming with my dual shock controller on april 15th..
    not EVERY game has a demo, but the ones that do are great to try out. Plus the not often visited section contains some gems..

The duck tub is *really* cool.. you hold the ps3 controller like you are holding a tub full of water.. and use the controller motion to move the water around in the tub... to move your duck around and save the ducklings. VERY cool, and the water is modeled really well.

The tower defense one is neat too... but i dunno if its worth $10 for the 'full' version. I am also having fun with the soduku game... and playing online causes me to doubt my manhood.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ah, ok. Yea, there is no CoD4 demo. Here I was getting all excited for nothin'. Me and console FPS games don't get along to well but I've been dying to at least try CoD4. It's so enticing.

Only game I have on the PS3 is Warhawk. I'm to dirt poor to buy games. Warhawk is fun but I sure do suck at it. If anyone likes action games like UT I'd definitely recommend it. It looks like it's getting alot of support from Incog which is always nice.

I still want my aircraft carriers :(

Harakhti on