As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help fix my Zippo

HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have a Zippo lighter and it's awesome, but of late is hasn't been working too well. It's got a good flint and from what I can tell the wick is in fine shape, but I'll fill it up and it just won't light. If I overfill it to the point that fluid drips out the top I can get it to light once or twice but it also lights the fluid that dripped into the cap and generally is messy and dangerous. Even if I do that it only works for a strike or two and then stops. It will randomly light once it's been filled but with no consistency. I know I have the option of mailing it to Zippo in Bradford, PA but I'd prefer to fix it myself. Any advice?

HeraldS on

• Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I know you expressed that you thought these weren't the problems, but get a new flint and pull the wick out an inch. The wick can be deceptive when it comes to quality, and flint is so cheap that it shouldn't be a problem. Naturally, if you are consistently getting a spark, then the flint is alright and you should get some needle-nose pliers and extend/prune the wick.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I know you expressed that you thought these weren't the problems, but get a new flint and pull the wick out an inch. The wick can be deceptive when it comes to quality, and flint is so cheap that it shouldn't be a problem. Naturally, if you are consistently getting a spark, then the flint is alright and you should get some needle-nose pliers and extend/prune the wick.

I'll second that. Also, check the spring that holds the flint in. My friend had a problem with his zippo just this past week. All we did was stretch the spring a little with a pair of pliers and it works great now.

Grimm on
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Right now I've got the wick even with the top of the fence around the lighter. It's been working better recently but not nearly as reliable as it used to be. Is it possible that since the wick isn't wrapping all the way through the material it's not as effective? How tall should the wick be?

HeraldS on