As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Self-Storage Lockers

[Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubtRegistered User regular
edited February 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'll be hitting the road this summer, and doing some traveling. I wont be taking a lot with me, which brings up questions of storage, for the things I have now, and things that I may acquire while elsewhere. Self storage seems like a pretty decent solution. However, I have very few material possesions and I wont be needing very much space, I wouldn't want more than a lockers worth. Actually finding these lockers is proving more difficult than I anticipated. I've found plenty of self-storage places online, but I have yet to find a single one that offers anything less than a 5' x '5 room.

So, help. Where would I find self-storage lockers? Movies tell me that airports have things like this, but I have found no information on them online and I have no idea if they even exist or how they work if they do. What have you guys done for self-storage? Is there another way to store a small amount of stuff securely, privately and for a reasonably long period of time (several months at least)?

mvaYcgc.jpg
[Tycho?] on

• Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Safe deposit box at a bank? Not sure on rates, but you will definitely have security.

meeker on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    meeker wrote: »
    Safety-deposit box at a bank? Not sure on rates, but you will definitely have security.

I didn't even think about those. I'll look into them, see what the rates, volume and other stuff is like.

edit: cursory reading tells me that safe-deposit boxes might not be what I need. For one they seem to be pretty small. While I like small, I'd like to be able to fit a backpack in the space. As well, I'd only be able to access it while the bank is open, which could prove inconvenient. Still a good idea though.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    SoggychickenSoggychicken Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think they drastically reduced the number of coin-op lockers available at airports and train stations after 9/11.

Soggychicken on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I think they drastically reduced the number of coin-op lockers available at airports and train stations after 9/11.

Yeah I figured. Anonymous boxes where you can put stuff for long periods of time? In airports? That kind of freedom and respect for privacy doesn't fly anymore.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Have you called to enquire with the storage places you found online for the 5' by 5' rooms? I'm using a storage place at the moment (though i do actually need a large room, mine was 8' by 3' i think...) and i know they had available a variety of sizes that werent actually listed on their website, many of them much smaller than the room i have now. I'm in australia though so YMMV

Cryogen on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I'd say looking into one of those self-storage places would be a good bet. Even if they didn't have anything small enough they might know where to point you.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Cryogen wrote: »
    Have you called to enquire with the storage places you found online for the 5' by 5' rooms? I'm using a storage place at the moment (though i do actually need a large room, mine was 8' by 3' i think...) and i know they had available a variety of sizes that werent actually listed on their website, many of them much smaller than the room i have now. I'm in australia though so YMMV

No not yet. I tried stopping by their offices, one of which was closed and the other just had a sign on the front of a building, which just led to a maze of corridors and unrelated offices. So yeah, I'll call soon.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hi,

I own and operate a self-storage company in California. There are a few things to note, and they differ quite a bit depending on where you live:

Size:

Some facilities contain locker-type storage, some don't. The ones that do are usually larger companies with many locations, like Public Storage (not my company). Those that don't usually don't have units smaller than 4'x5', or something with a similar square footage. Just call up and ask for availability for small size units, and price.

Price:

There are many reasons why storage is such a successful business. One of those reasons is that people are paying to store things in (basically) a cement box that requires almost zero maintenance.

Prices will vary from city to city, state to state, but the going rate in Southern CA is $2 - $4 per square foot, with higher prices for smaller spaces, and vice versa. A good guide to use is the going rate for apartments in your area - storage facilities mimic or are close to the cost/sq. ft of apartments.

Contracts

All facilities have contracts of some type. These can be month-month agreements, three month, six month, 12 month, etc. Month to month agreements will be the most expensive, but the most convenient. Three month agreements are usually utilized by tenants the most. Do whatever works best for you, but ask about their move-out policy and if they prorate or penalize you if you decide to move out early.

Convenience:

Besides the physical location of the business, ask about access hours. If the facility is non 24hour access and you need it, ask if there are any 24hour access programs if you need them. Be prepared to both qualify for this program and pay a nice monthly premium for it.

Security:

First ask about gates/enclosure. Can anyone walk up to the units, or are they enclosed by a gate that requires a key or code? This is the most important thing. Then ask about unit alarms. My facilities have separate alarms on the doors of each individual unit that keep a log of the exact time and date they are opened or closed, as well as an entry and exit gate that requires a specific code from the tenant.

Another thing to ask about is office hours (when an employee is present, if there is one) vs. access hours. Are people limited to accessing their units while an employee is in the office?

Finding Facilities

There are three ways to do this: ask friends, search online, search the yellow pages. Keep in mind that smaller facilities ay for ads in the yellow pages (or something similar) and probably have not spent the money for search engine optimization and there is a good chance they won't come up on internet searches. Larger companies will easily be found online, and these are probably the ones that will have locker type storage.

Other tidbits and Getting the Best Deal

Almost all facilities will have at least one deal or special. These specials are most commonly first month free, 30% each month for three months, free lock, and the like. Employees are trained to announce the deals/specials only if it looks like they might lose the sale, so go in and act like you have other options.

Also, don't go cheap on the fucking lock for you unit. I laugh at all of the people with $2 locks from the grocery store on their unit. All locks can be broken with the right tools, but I suggest spending at least $10 on a reinforced disc lock.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thanks Daemonion, thats a lot of help.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    Smaller lockers tend to exist only in big cities in my experience. Basically wherever you find cramped apartments and high real estate costs.

There is no business need for a small locker in suburbia.

So if your travel brings you by a big city, self storage places there will have small (3x3 for example) lockers. But they'll cost as much as a large locker elsewhere.

I pay ~$80/month for a 5x5x5 locker in nyc as an example. My relatives have garage size lockers elsewhere for less. YMMV of course.

This discussion has been closed.