As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I WANNA (post) ROCK!

• Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "Post-rock is a genre of alternative rock characterized by the use of musical instruments commonly associated with rock music, but utilizing rhythms, harmonies, melodies, timbre, and chord progressions that are not found in rock tradition. Simply put, it is the use of 'rock instrumentation' for non-rock purposes."

Straight out of wikipedia.

So it's like using a bunch of electric guitars to play Für Elise?

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Rage wrote: »
    FUCK YOUR BULLSHIT GENRE SLOTTING MUSIC CATEGORIZATION AND FUCK YOURSELF

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Carl with a KCarl with a K Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i wish itunes would just let you tag songs like last.fm and it would like take the tags and synch it to the songs you have on your ipod and then instead of genre browsing which no one uses EVER except for people who take the time to go through all of their music and tag the genres you would just be able to like browse by tags or like use the search function to search for like tags

tags

tags

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, Mannheim Steamroller?

I SAY THEE NAY.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    i wish itunes would just let you tag songs like last.fm and it would like take the tags and synch it to the songs you have on your ipod and then instead of genre browsing which no one uses EVER except for people who take the time to go through all of their music and tag the genres you would just be able to like browse by tags or like use the search function to search for like tags

tags

tags
    or maybe im just lazy as shit

edit: or shit just take the tags from last.fm and incorporate them into itunes somehow through internet witchcraft

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

tags

tags

You can use genres for ghetto tags. Set the genre to something like "Metal, Instrumental, Travel", then you can do things like create an automatic playlist for <genre contains "Travel"> to pull in all the tracks marked thusly.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    sigur ros is fucking awesome

there is a rumor that they might be one of the headliners at All Points West in liberty city park this summer

that would be something

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Janin wrote: »

tags

tags

You can use genres for ghetto tags. Set the genre to something like "Metal, Instrumental, Travel", then you can do things like create an automatic playlist for <genre contains "Travel"> to pull in all the tracks marked thusly.
    yeah i tried doing that but i have wayyyy too much music

im talkin like somethin that would take tags from a place where mad people already tagged a crapload of songs so i dont have to do it myself

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i fucking love explosions in the sky

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Janin wrote: »

tags

tags

yeah i tried doing that but i have wayyyy too much music

im talkin like somethin that would take tags from a place where mad people already tagged a crapload of songs so i dont have to do it myself

You could try using MusicBrainz. The default client dumps a whole lot of worthless shit in the tags, but most people don't seem to care about that.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    is anybody gonna go to all points west?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The genre name may be bullshit, but the music is not.

Also, one of my favourite songs right now is Beautiful Days (Haclyon or something like that in Japanese) by Mono. It's up on their myspace if anyone wants to check that shit.
    Edit: Linked
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=1000646636

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »

there is a rumor that they might be one of the headliners at All Points West in liberty city park this summer

that would be something

Dude, if you get the chance to see them live, DO NOT HESITATE.

They are breath taking.

Greatest musical experience of my life.

#pipe on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Sigur Ros
    Mogwai

Three very popular Post Rock bands, all of which are quite different. Explosions in the Sky are also pretty big, but their recordings are mediocre. Live though? Holy McShit Fuck good.

I don't see the attraction of Sigur Ros or Mogwai. I never really cared for either. But Mogwai did an awesome cover of Plans by Bloc Party.

Also, Plans is a fuckawesome song and is by far Bloc Party's best work.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is even more retarded than Heavy Metal
    Not by a lot
    But still more

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    #pipe wrote: »

that would be something

Dude, if you get the chance to see them live, DO NOT HESITATE.

They are breath taking.

Greatest musical experience of my life.

I don't think they've been to Canada in quite some time. Fuckers better come around.
    So pretty...
    Have you checked out their new disc? That Heim/something something?
    Edit. It's actually two discs. Only one of them is new. The other is live with only like..one new track. Still kickass though.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Heima and Hvarf-Heim

No I havent, but I'll pick up the DVD set one of these days

#pipe on
  • Options
    EriicEriic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I only recently got into post-rock after a friend turned me on to 65daysofstatic (who are amazing by the way) and I've gotta say it's pretty much the best genre ever. A Silver Mt. Zion and Explosions in the Sky rock! \,,/

Eriic on
    ^gerber rep ◕ ◡ ◕ nerdy.us | last.fm | XBL: e5x
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The opening tune on Hvarf-Heim is kind of mediocre, but the rest of it is top notch.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Eriic wrote: »
    I only recently got into post-rock after a friend turned me on to 65daysofstatic (who are amazing by the way) and I've gotta say it's pretty much the best genre ever. A Silver Mt. Zion and Explosions in the Sky rock! \,,/

A friend of mine is into 65daysofstatic. I know I've heard them before, and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it, but I have absolutely no clue what they sound like. I'll have to look into this (possibly for the second time).

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    a silver mt. zion are most excellent

especially born into trouble

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    I use genre, but only for podcasts

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Faricazy on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    also, this post-rock discussion is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever seen

"using traditional rock musical instruments for non-rock purposes"

what the fuck is that?

what the hell do you think rock is?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Can we get like a list of good bands in the op

because if not you can bet I will be hella asking later

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've been listening to GWAR lately.

Not exactly post rock, but still awesome

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    rank go listen to sigur ros okay

okay

Faricazy on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The genre name/definition is stupid.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I use genre, but only for podcasts

Fuck your bullshit genre slotting music categorization.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    um who cares about the name people give it

it's good music

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008

what the fuck is that?

A derivation of blues pop.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Karl wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »
    i guess muse is more new prog or whatever

They're hella kickass though, so it's alright.

The best live band in the world right now. Anyone who says different has not seen them live.
    I really wanna see them. But they're working on a new album right now. Hopefully it'll come out by the end of the year and they'll tour starting in december or something.

I saw them at wembley stadium. I wasn't even that big a fan of them before. But sweet mother of God, they were fuckawesome.

I saw them in a pub nearly ten years ago during the first album tour, then every tour since

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

what the fuck is that?

That's what the wikipedia said, so it's not exactly carved into stone. Quite often the songs are rather long, and don't follow standard structure at all. It's also quite common to be completely instrumental these days, it seems. The songs are something like symphonies with rock instruments? God that sounds fucking lame..
    Mogwai was one of the first bands to be called "post rock". Take it up with them.
    Also, check them out while you're at it.
    I recommend Hunted By a Freak at the BBC.
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=37792973

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    simo wrote: »
    um who cares about the name people give it

it's good music

Yeah, sure it's good music.

However, when good music gets referenced in insipid and asinine ways it really pisses me off.

Examples:
    "Grunge"
    "Electronica"
    "Pop-punk"
    "Celine Dion"

Tonkka on
  • Options
    EriicEriic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

what the fuck is that?

Trying to define a musical style with words isn't very good to begin with. Listening to the music is the only way to know what it's all about.

Eriic on
    ^gerber rep ◕ ◡ ◕ nerdy.us | last.fm | XBL: e5x
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    sigor ros sounds like gentle waves of awesome hitting your ears

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    electronic music is an insipid categorization?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, I've added a list of bands on the OP.
    Anybody have any new ones they want added?

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    electronica music is an insipid categorization?

It's the letter "a" at the end that makes it stupid.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, I've added a list of bands on the OP.
    Anybody have any new ones they want added?

This Heat, Bark Psychosis, and Talk Talk.

Aneurhythmia on