As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dark Knight video game. Confirmed.

JastJast Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
This may of already been discussed but a while back IGN posted a rumor that Pandemic, makers the the video game Mercenaries, was making a tie in video game to the upcoming Batman movie, The Dark Knight. There hasn't been any new news on it, but if there's a video game on jumper, and since there was already a video game based on batman begins, there's probaly a big chance that this game will be hitting shelves near the time of the movie release.

Edit: Ign posted a story confirming the game, then took it down. Kotaku thinks they're waiting for an official announcement.

Jast39.png
Jast on

• Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    DC doesn't make good video games, they make good movies.

It's unfortunate, but also a blessing... I dunno. It'll probably end up sucking.

Regicid3 on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well I mean it's always possible it could not suck.

Look at all the great movie to video game conversions.

Like Aladdin.

Or

Lion King.

Or

Aladdin.

Khavall on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wait, is this thread basically about what you hope might be in a game you don't know anything about that may not even be coming out anymore?

That's pretty zen.

Magic Pink on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jast wrote: »
    This may of already been discussed but a while back IGN posted a rumor that Pandemic, makers the the video game Mercenaries, was making a tie in video game to the upcoming Batman movie, The Dark Knight. There hasn't been any new news on it, but if there's a video game on jumper, and since there was already a video game based on batman begins, there's probaly a big chance that this game will be hitting shelves near the time of the movie release.

Here's some features I hope the game will have.

-The ability to get through fights just by picking enemies off. Sure, Batman can fight with the best of them, but, he's usually outgunned. I want to be able to pick my fights, split my enemies up, use fear to my advantage. Not all gimmicky like the Batman Begins game with it's fear meter and scripted fear causing events, but subtle. Use the enviroment to my advantage.

-Destructible enviroment. Like break down supports and smashing windows and cars.

-Wide open Gotham city. It would be great to just drive around Gotham in the batmobile, stopping random crimes, and taking down c-list villains.

This would be good, just give me a couple chances to say some corny catch phrases and I'll be happy.

Xtarath on
  • JastJast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well it's not like I'm wishing for something totally out there like Happy Days the game. There was a Batman Begins game. They even made a game about Jumper of all things. There's a good chance this is coming out. Sure there isn't any news on it, but APB didn't have any news on it for almost two years, then suddenly after the big announcement at GDC, everybody's hyped about it.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pandemic are good people.

LewieP on
    edited February 2008
    Well it's not like I'm wishing for something totally out there like Happy Days the game.

FUCK YEAH

Lemme bug my Pandemic worm and see what he knows.

Magic Pink on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Any Batman game should have free roaming region clean-up where you are able to infiltrate crime syndicate HQ's to take out mini-bosses. It should actually take place during No Man's Land but they probably have a lot of those criminals reserved for future movies.

DarkWarrior on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Seems like people want Assassin's Creed, but with Batman.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited February 2008
    Fig-D wrote: »

And the Fonz. And Mork.

Magic Pink on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Actually I want the Genesis Aladdin but with Batman.

Khavall on
    edited February 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »

And the Fonz. And Mork.

And fun gameplay.

DarkWarrior on
    edited February 2008

And the Fonz. And Mork.

And fun gameplay.

FLAG COLLECTING OLOL

Magic Pink on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    As long as I can kill virtual Heath Ledger I'll be good.

...Too soon? Sorry. Seriously though, the last Batman game wasn't that great, hopefully a Dark Knight one will be.

Clint Eastwood on
  • JastJast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

And the Fonz. And Mork.

And fun gameplay.

FLAG COLLECTING OLOL

Hmmm, maybe gang boss collecting, instead of finding 128 random flags, you have to find 64 random gang bosses spread all throughout the city and take them down. Some are hidden in abandonded buildings, some in night clubs, others in alleys. The more bosses you take down, the more your rep goes up. The higher your rep, the better protected the other gang bosses will be. Probaly won't be anything like that in the final version, but you never know.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »

...Too soon? Sorry. Seriously though, the last Batman game wasn't that great, hopefully a Dark Knight one will be.
    What did Heath Ledger ever do to you?

Also: if Pandemic is behind the wheel, this might be the first Batman game I ever buy.

Torso Boy on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well it's not like I'm wishing for something totally out there like Happy Days the game.

FUCK YEAH

Would this be a game where you're the Fonz and the end boss is a shark you have to jump?

Or a game where you spend the entire time half buried in a pile of dirt and are equipped with a handbag full of random objects and a flammable umbrella?

KalTorak on
  • wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A mix between Mercenaries (free roaming, Boss collecting, timed support system/resource management) and Assassin's Creed (mobility, escape/line of sight, stealth) in a city as big as in Crackdown. I'd be sold.

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've said it before, but the perfect Batman game would be based around the "No Man's Land" storyline from the comics. Sandboxy, of course.

1) Batman starts out with the city in shambles, giving him a chance to fight for every square inch of territory - and to hold said territory.
    2) Most of his rogue's gallery is present.
    3) Batman starts out without allies or toys, creating plenty of opportunity for character progression.

And yes, it would take a big page out of the Assassin's Creed playbook for animation / mobility / etc.

Tomanta on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    Cloudman wrote: »

What did Heath Ledger ever do to you?
    He died :(

Clint Eastwood on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It still blows my mind that there has not been a Batman GTAlike

The goddamn Simpsons got a GTA ripoff before him for god's sake

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Pandemic are good people.

Yeah, I mean, they have put out some really solid stuff. If they are indeed tackling this project, that could be very cool.

Can anyone tell me what the last good batman game was?

I just checked out their wiki, and apparently Pandemic made Battlezone II. I had no idea., but that's awesome.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to be realistic and expect a pretty mediocre game. Despite being developed by Pandemic, it'll be rushed for the films release and try to tie into the films story too much.

I don't think I'll ever play the perfect Batman game that I've imagined in my head.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

Like Aladdin.

Or

Lion King.

Or

Aladdin.

Spider-Man 2.

Chronicles of Riddick.

The Path of Neo kinda sorta.

Furu on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Or you know, Goldeneye?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Furu wrote: »
    The Path of Neo kinda sorta.

Well, the end of it, at least.

Homestar Gunner on
  • davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    A license has no bearing on the quality of the game, it's more the people behind it, and the people funding it.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sort of, except that licensed games tend to be put in front of noname, new studios with less talent because it's cheaper that way and they know it'll still sell like hotcakes.

So, it kind of does have a bearing on the quality of the game, just indirectly.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    We are already getting a good Batman game.

It's of the LEGO variety.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    But if Pandemic makes it then there will be 2 good Batman games coming out.

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

FUCK YEAH

Hold your Wiimote and nunchuck upright to give "thumbs up." Use the pointer to unhook bras.

Saddler on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

And the Fonz. And Mork.

And fun gameplay.

FLAG COLLECTING OLOL

And like GTA, but an MMO!

And on the Wii (exclusively)

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It should actually take place during No Man's Land

No, just no.

They need to make a good Batman game that takes place in regular shitty Gotham City before they start throwing in gimmicks like even shittier Gotham City.

The only thing I would want to see lifted from Assassins Creed for a Batman game is the rooftop parkour shit. That'd be pretty badass. Just throw in a grappling hook and we're golden. But AC's social stealth just would not work for a guy in a bat suit. Splinter Cell's light/shadow stealth would be better.

I like the idea of a wide-open Gotham. Finding crimes in progress and using stealth and mind tricks to throw your enemy off. Try to get them to split up to search for you and pick them off one by one. The challenge for the developer is to make a great wide-open city, but also do a lot of interiors (it just wouldn't be a Batman game if you weren't breaking into warehouses, offices, and apartments) without too much copying/pasting.

Dirty on
    edited February 2008
    Well I'm not really a fan of AC's social stealth. When you're in a crowd it works, but I don't like how you have designated 'hiding points'. There's no running into a big crowd and losing guards, or breaking line of sight and turning a corner, they hunt you until you sit down or jump into a roof garden or whatever. They could easily lose that aspect of it, if they just let you actually escape from guards under your own abilities, like out-running them or hiding effectively.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Furu wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »

Like Aladdin.

Or

Lion King.

Or

Aladdin.
    Chronicles of Riddick.

Assassin's Creed + Batman would be pretty rad.

Daemonion on
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Well I'm not really a fan of AC's social stealth. When you're in a crowd it works, but I don't like how you have designated 'hiding points'. There's no running into a big crowd and losing guards, or breaking line of sight and turning a corner, they hunt you until you sit down or jump into a roof garden or whatever. They could easily lose that aspect of it, if they just let you actually escape from guards under your own abilities, like out-running them or hiding effectively.

Ho ho. Batman Begins style chase but on foot. Running over rooftops as choppers and cop cars below roar after you.

DarkWarrior on
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Ho ho. Batman Begins style chase but on foot. Running over rooftops as choppers and cop cars below roar after you.

This would be bloody awesome.

edit: seriously, Batman rooftop chases with AC's control-scheme, with optional grappling hook as well. I would buy that repeatedly.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    The only thing I would want to see lifted from Assassins Creed for a Batman game is the rooftop parkour shit. That'd be pretty badass. Just throw in a grappling hook and we're golden. But AC's social stealth just would not work for a guy in a bat suit. Splinter Cell's light/shadow stealth would be better.

I like the idea of a wide-open Gotham. Finding crimes in progress and using stealth and mind tricks to throw your enemy off. Try to get them to split up to search for you and pick them off one by one. The challenge for the developer is to make a great wide-open city, but also do a lot of interiors (it just wouldn't be a Batman game if you weren't breaking into warehouses, offices, and apartments) without too much copying/pasting.

Personally, I'd include a grappling gun (hook? seriously?) and the ability to glide using his cape. Assassin's Creed didn't really have to deal with buildings the size you'd find in a city, so you'd have to have some way

As for the game itself, I've got so many ideas it's not funny. My 'perfect Batman game' idea that I mentioned earlier in the thread would start with his origin and end sometime after Robin and Batgirl joins him. Time would progress according to how many of the over-arching stories you'd finished (so it'd basically be cut up into 10-20 chapters).

The over-arching stories would be the centre-pieces of the game, akin to the Long Halloween's of the DCU. Then there'd be smaller stories thrown around as well, including robberies and mysteries (where you'd gather clues, interrogate suspects, go undercover as Matches Malone, etc).

And then in your off time, you'd go around as Bruce Wayne, buying/inventing new equipment, upgrading the Batcave/Batmobile and buying new hideouts.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited February 2008
    It's bizarro Thursday, where I'm agreeing with things written by both Unco and DW. The hell is up with that?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Are you really giving me shit because I accidentally said "hook" instead of "gun"?

Seriously?

The grappling gun still has a hook on the end of it.

Dirty on