As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii Freeloader Finally Unveiled

APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/Wii-FreeLoader__EF000593.aspx
Features

* Play ANY region of Wii or GameCube game on ANY Wii.
* Easy to use.
* No console modification required.
* Doesn’t invalidate warranty.
* Play games never released in your region.
* Play local games on your imported console.
* 100% unofficial.

I don't usually do this, but...
That is because of this rule:
6 ) Images must be 100KB or smaller in size, 800 pixels or shorter in width.

* This includes animated GIFs. If you need to share a larger picture, link to it.

Which you exceeded by 2,889.1kb
Let me help fix that. <3 Acc

applaud

IN TIME FOR SMASH
epilepsy

Europeans, you are saved!

APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
APZonerunner on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow, that's awesome.

Double awesome because those gifs are hilarious!

urahonky on
  • Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How long you think it'll be before there's a system update that makes this thing inoperable like the GC Freeloader? Especially since all versions of Brawl include a forced update.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    doctorbassdoctorbass Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    seems pretty cool. Especially for all those impatient gamers who need their imports and can't wait.

doctorbass on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Won't it be broken by console updates?

Zek on
  • Options
    BioPortBioPort Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    lol @ Jesus Camp gif.

BioPort on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think the second gif gave me epilepsy.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am shocked that they didn't use a Wii pun for the name.

Also, I bet new games will be incompatible and/or it will be blocked by new firmware. I will wait for a homebrew solution I think.

LewieP on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

Also, I bet new games will be incompatible and/or it will be blocked by new firmware. I will wait for a homebrew solution I think.

Wiiloader? Fwiiloader? Fweeloader? Fwee Willy?

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    For the £10 they're asking I don't care if future updates block it. If it's enough to get Smash working (and no doubt they've tested JP copies) for now, I'm happy.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I doubt future updates will block it, mainly because they will be able to probably update via SD card, so your version of Freeloader will work.

I'm guessing Nintendo didn't want the GC Freeloader 'out there' so to speak as it would open the gateway to piracy, i'm pretty sure they made 100% certain you couldn't boot illegal copies with Wii Freeloader.

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LeosLeos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh my God

Done, purchased. It's on it's way!

And here was me considering purchasing a US Wii and a US version of Smash even though I already bought a Jap Wii and Jap Smash. Now I just need to buy US Smash... HUZZAH!

Leos on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Resident0 wrote: »
    I doubt future updates will block it, mainly because they will be able to probably update via SD card, so your version of Freeloader will work.

I'm guessing Nintendo didn't want the GC Freeloader 'out there' so to speak as it would open the gateway to piracy, i'm pretty sure they made 100% certain you couldn't boot illegal copies with Wii Freeloader.

Nintendo broke the GC Freeloader with firmware updates on the gamecube, but they had no way of updating the firmware on old consoles (just changed what newer ones shipped with)

LewieP on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    They never blocked the FreeLoader on the GC. It works with a buddy's GC that he bought only a few months ago new.

They only blocked the GC Freeloader on the Wii. I think this was more due to the Action Replay component than the Freeloader component.

So as long as Datel keeps this Freeloader only, I'm cool with them. They put out a Wii AR? I will fucking stab them.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There was a GCN Freeloader released in Europe last year that worked with the Wii, and Nintendo killed that with a Firmware update.

This'll probably end up getting the same treatment, but bugger it - I'm ordering it anyway.

Edit:
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    They never blocked the FreeLoader on the GC. It works with a buddy's GC that he bought only a few months ago new.
    The Pearl GCN (the one in the Mario Strikers bundle released in the UK) won't run the Freeloader at all, and its the firmware for this model of Cube that was used as the basis of the Wii's Cube support.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, shit, Nintendo's disc signature was cracked less than a fucking week ago. Datel is quick. Wonder how long it'll take them to make an Action Wiiplay.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I just hope somebody comes out with something that will allow me to back up my Brawl save.

Zek on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So as long as Datel keeps this Freeloader only, I'm cool with them. They put out a Wii AR? I will fucking stab them.

What's wrong with an Action Replay?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The Pearl GCN (the one in the Mario Strikers bundle released in the UK) won't run the Freeloader at all, and its the firmware for this model of Cube that was used as the basis of the Wii's Cube support.

That's what I was thinking of.

LewieP on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    I just hope somebody comes out with something that will allow me to back up my Brawl save.

People have already been hacking up the Brawl disc, replacing characters' movesets and such.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008

That's what I was thinking of.

Okay. Interesting. You see, the only GC available in the states for the longest time (besides the short lived Zelda bundle) is the Platinum.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I disagree. The cool shit you can do with an AR more than makes up or the cheating fucks.

Bee Mario in every Level? Yes sir!

Edit- I'd put the other cooler Maio but that's spoilers.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Did the US not get the Strikers bundle? I'm fairly sure that the Pearl GCN founds its way into other bundles...

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »

People have already been hacking up the Brawl disc, replacing characters' movesets and such.

That has nothing to do with it though, it's about bypassing the save file's block on copying to an SD card. Even just the ability to rip the contents of the Wii's drive in its entirety back and forth or something.

Zek on
  • Options
    DysonDyson Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Great news, but I'll wait on getting one til I see how quickly Nintendo is gonna update the firmware to combat this, and how quick an update to the Freeloader comes out after. An endless cycleD:

Dyson on
    GSP+11.png
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, I really have doubts about this for few reasons:

1) Datel doesn't have access to Nintendo's printing facilities, so this is, once again, done on bootleg disk that should be relatively easy to detect. Furthermore, it will probably contain stolen code from 1st or 3rd party games, as Datel does lack real skill / talent to do something like this.
    2) If they have broken / circumvented the encryption code, this is illegal in most European countries and USA, because Wii's encryption is "heavy" one. Furthermore, the guy who discovered circumventation for encryption keys said that even most incompetent engineer can find and block the exploit within 5 minutes.
    3) If the disk doesn't replace firmware, it simply can't boot all imports. Period. Wii's regionlock was cracked long time ago, but the games crash simply because they can't find correct language packs / charsets from the firmware. In the other hand, if Freeloader tampers with the firmware, there is fair risk that it will brick whole system, especially if system is updated somehow.

But we will see...

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm slightly sceptical. It's a whole other game on a current generation console than on a Gamecube.

If Nintendo decides to fight it, they'll need to add network updating in some way to the Freeloader through the use of SD cards, which adds a level of work they might not be ready for.

They were cool about it with the original Freeloader, the release of 1.06, or whatever it was called, came pretty quickly and they offered free replacements, but that isn't exactly likely to happen here.

Living in Europe I'd LOVE it if Nintendo just shrugged and let it happen, though.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    RaginRossRaginRoss Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This better bloody work.

Nintendo can fuck right off with their European Brawl antics.

RaginRoss on
    RossCowan.png
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    LordOfMeep wrote: »
    How long you think it'll be before there's a system update that makes this thing inoperable like the GC Freeloader? Especially since all versions of Brawl include a forced update.

Very possible, so it could happen quickly. Basically, we have the decryption keys that can decrypt a Wii game disc and we can sign it with any made-up key. You only have to convince the Wii that the disc is real with a mod chip or a disc pressing plant (like Datel's Thin Ice Media). The Wii doesn't check to see what key encrypted the disc. They could easily update the Wii to refuse keys signed by anyone else and block this. I believe that Datel had something to do with the recent "Trucha Signer" application released for signing Wii images because that will get more people reliant on the hole and therefore more people working on keeping it "open."
    Grislo wrote: »
    I'm slightly sceptical. It's a whole other game on a current generation console than on a Gamecube.

If Nintendo decides to fight it, they'll need to add network updating in some way to the Freeloader through the use of SD cards, which adds a level of work they might not be ready for.

They were cool about it with the original Freeloader, the release of 1.06, or whatever it was called, came pretty quickly and they offered free replacements, but that isn't exactly likely to happen here.

Living in Europe I'd LOVE it if Nintendo just shrugged and let it happen, though.

Actually, Freeloader updates won't help if the disc can't boot to access them.

CZroe on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    If it works just with Brawl though, can't we just refuse to install any updates after that?

RaginRoss on
    RossCowan.png
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Are there any current good Japanese Wii games out that haven't been released in America?

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

They should have... there was enough confusion with the earlier "Wii compatible!" versions of the AR and Freeloader.
    Resident0 wrote: »

Nope. If it can't boot, it can't access the SD card. It is not a hardware solution.

They only blocked the GC Freeloader on the Wii. I think this was more due to the Action Replay component than the Freeloader component.

It was actually due to it having a different name in the header of the disc. All Nintendo's official discs began with one of only a scant few letters... like "U" for "US" and "G" for "Game Boy Player"

All Datel had to do was update the discs with a new letter hex-edited in when they reissued them.
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Well, shit, Nintendo's disc signature was cracked less than a fucking week ago. Datel is quick. Wonder how long it'll take them to make an Action Wiiplay.

It's been cracked since bushing, tmbinc, and segher demoed it with a modified Lego Star Wars Complete Saga burned on a disc (basically, the very first time Wii homebrew was demonstrated to the public)... they just chose not to release it. Datel has the resources to figure it out the same way they did after hearing enough to know where to focus their efforts. I wouldn't doubt that Datel is directly responsible for the recent developments in the last week, like the release of the Trucha Signer.

CZroe on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    RaginRoss wrote: »
    This better bloody work.

What antics?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This better bloody work.

What antics?

The ones where they don't announce a release date and say things like, "Europe gets Mario Kart Wii earlier than America because they're getting Brawl later."

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah... Those are some crazy antics right there.

urahonky on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    This about a month late, damnit!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This better bloody work.

What antics?

The ones where they don't announce a release date and say things like, "Europe gets Mario Kart Wii earlier than America because they're getting Brawl later."

But...you're getting Mario Kart Wii only four days earlier...

That is dumb.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    This better bloody work.

What antics?

And the rumour that we weren't getting it 'till August, which was quickly denied. I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if it's true though.

RaginRoss on
    RossCowan.png
  • Options
    HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Goddamnit... I got burned with the last Freeloader, so I really dunno what to do. £10's not bad at all, though, but if it murders my Wii... :\

Hazz on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, when will they offer free replacements or discounted upgrades for those of us who purchased a "Wii compatible" Action Replay that was then rendered completely worthless with an update a month later?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've got it on order and I've got a few import games I can try. I'll switch off my modchip and see if this'll let me boot them.

And yes, this could be blocked EASILY by Nintendo if they choose to with a firmware update. Likely why datel have waited till after Brawl's release to get this thing out.

ANyway, I'll be testing:

Brawl - JPN
    Super Paper Mario - USA
    Zack and Wiki - USA

If they work I'm going to order No More Heroes and give that a boot.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch