As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If you spoil [Iron Man], Elki will probably make out with you

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wolverine has had more bad stories told about him than Gambit.

But he's also had way way way more good ones.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Cryztal_FlameCryztal_Flame Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I can think of about 250 characters that would beat him out for that.

LOL, well I can think of 10 or 11. I love the guy personally, and for most of the reasons you don't it seems.

I'm a huge Xmen fan, reading them since I was teen (X-cutioners Song being my favorite story arc), and in the Xmen universe, he's the best thing to happen to it since, forever.

Sucks too, because he's finally going to play a prominent role in a film, only to be played by former teen heartthrob, high on good looks low on talent super model Taylor Kirtsch(sp?)

Cryztal_Flame on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Maybe if you suggested some definitive Gambit stories that really show why you love the character so much.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm one that does think Gambit is kinda cool. But having really gotten back into comics, I can kinda understand that Gambit can be argued to not have the depth of the other X-men or Marvel characters and that he's kinda a lame product of the 90's.

theparttime on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    See, if we're gonna have a moody mutant in trenchcoat being in a Marvel film, I'd rather it be Jamie Maddrox.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So how about that Iron Man, guys

Yeah. He can fly.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Jamie Maddrox is a great character and he's really shining in the new X-factor. His character has unlimited potential.

edit: ya i just saw the new trailer finallly today. looks so awesome. kinda bums me out seeing so much too. regardless, movie looks awesome.

theparttime on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Favreu's mentioned that he'd be interested in adapting the "Demon in a Bottle" storyline for a sequel.

Lets make sure this sequel gets made.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Favreu's mentioned that he'd be interested in adapting the "Demon in a Bottle" storyline for a sequel.

I'm forgetting, which storyline was that?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    namelessnameless Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »

Yeah. He can fly.
    You know I only ever really followed Spider Man and X-Men comics as a kid and I am so much more pumped about this movie than for any other comic book movie for some reason. Maybe because I love Robert Downey Jr.

nameless on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I'm forgetting, which storyline was that?

Where Tony blows shit up while drunk and realizes he's an alcoholic.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    nameless wrote: »
    Cloudman wrote: »

Yeah. He can fly.
    You know I only ever really followed Spider Man and X-Men comics as a kid and I am so much more pumped about this movie than for any other comic book movie for some reason. Maybe because I love Robert Downey Jr.

That's pretty much my reason. I saw the trailer, and I was already hooked before Iron Man even showed up.

I'd watch a movie just about Tony Stark if RDJ was playing him.

shryke on
  • Options
    grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »
    whitey9 wrote: »
    Alan Moore was all pissed off about V for Vendetta movie. Then I read the comic. It was about as bad as the movie. It reads like a high schooler who had read 1984 a dozen times while they listened to Crass albums. If those are 'smart' comics, what the fuck are the dumb ones?

How is The Watchmen vs. Vendetta?

The Watchmen is without doubt the best comic/graphic novel I have ever read. As long as you can tolerate a little grittiness and depression, it's awesome.
    Rorschach is awesome. I mean, his worldview sucks, but he actually makes the people around him better. Remember the psychiatrist? How he actually started to help his fellow man a bit after talking with Rorschach? That's what I'm talking about. And to paraphrase, because I can't remember the exact line:

"In the end? You're mistaken, nothing ever ends."

One of the many, many things that I appreciate about Watchmen is how I've identified with and agreed with different characters over the years. Rorschach's objectivist stance really appeals to the idealistic high school senior in me who wants the world to be just that simple. Later, I realized that Ozymandias was right. Now I'm digging Dr. Manhattan's quantum physics-related views. Maybe when I'm a dumpy 40-ish guy I'll identify with Nite-Owl...

grendel824_ on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, since people seem to disagree on just about every graphic novel/movie out there, and having just gotten it from Netflix this weekend, what do people think of 30 Days of Night?

Somewhat tense, excellent opening, some unfortunate 'seen it before, a bit Hollywood' moments. Absolutely worth a watch, though.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You can like or hate Gambit, but you can only get away with saying he has no character if you follow it up by saying no fictional character ever created has character.

Scooter on
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Uhhh when did I hit the X-Men thread? Can I bitch about the movies in here now, since I was a fan pre 90's, during the 90's and after? Can I go meh about the new Wolvie movie, because he's not one of the chars I gush about?

Oh, Iron Man still looks kick ass though. Maybe they can do one of the movies on his suit's AI coming to life and having a love obsession with him, trying to break him and his girl up? That, or maybe you know, the MANDARIN.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Masume wrote: »
    Uhhh when did I hit the X-Men thread? Can I bitch about the movies in here now, since I was a fan pre 90's, during the 90's and after? Can I go meh about the new Wolvie movie, because he's not one of the chars I gush about?

Oh, Iron Man still looks kick ass though. Maybe they can do one of the movies on his suit's AI coming to life and having a love obsession with him, trying to break him and his girl up? That, or maybe you know, the MANDARIN.

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Mandarin

Hmm, that Mandarin fellow seems to be pretty badass. You could do a helluva lot with a character like that and still stay in canon of marvel lore.

Of course, you could do a helluva lot with Dr. Doom too and that didn't turn out so well. *groan*

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The ending of the living Iron Man armor storyline was the best part. Tony Stark...of the Jungle.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Derrick wrote: »
    Masume wrote: »

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Mandarin

Hmm, that Mandarin fellow seems to be pretty badass. You could do a helluva lot with a character like that and still stay in canon of marvel lore.

Of course, you could do a helluva lot with Dr. Doom too and that didn't turn out so well. *groan*

Haha yeah, they could have done Doom better. Then again, he could have been way worse, so...

Mandarin is such the iconic Iron Man baddie, I would imagine they'll try to fit him into one of the sequels.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Uh, the Mandarin is in this movie.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I think they said the Mandarin is sort of hinted at, or is the greater force of evil at work, but Iron Monger will be the more immediate danger.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I didn't see anything about the Mandarin listed for the movie, and there's no cast listing for him in IMDB, so he's at best a vague reference for now.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    IT is good to see there is something Masume and I still agree on. I am itching to see this movie something fierce.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Hrmm, at one point I'm pretty sure Favreau did say that Mandarin would be in the film. He may have backed off on it though.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Honestly, the last actual hero comic I read was another reading of The Watchmen about two years ago. Since then, I've been pouring myself into 100 Bullets and Y: The Last Man when I get the itch for comics. Before those, I mostly picked around during the whole Onslaught thing in Marvel, and tried to keep up with Batman a bit.

I really didn't like the Onslaught bit, come to think of it. Nothing really new about it. And, as a matter of course, everybody he killed came back to life. Just fucking stay dead, Cap.

If you ever do want to try superhero comics again, I suggest Invincible. All it tries to be is an honest to God superhero comic, and it does that very well. In my opinion, anyway.

So, back on topic.

The Mandarin: Most racist name for a supervillian ever, or simply the most popular most racist one?

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    97_4_0000058.jpg

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Tarantio wrote: »
    Honestly, the last actual hero comic I read was another reading of The Watchmen about two years ago. Since then, I've been pouring myself into 100 Bullets and Y: The Last Man when I get the itch for comics. Before those, I mostly picked around during the whole Onslaught thing in Marvel, and tried to keep up with Batman a bit.

I really didn't like the Onslaught bit, come to think of it. Nothing really new about it. And, as a matter of course, everybody he killed came back to life. Just fucking stay dead, Cap.

If you ever do want to try superhero comics again, I suggest Invincible. All it tries to be is an honest to God superhero comic, and it does that very well. In my opinion, anyway.

So, back on topic.

The Mandarin: Most racist name for a supervillian ever, or simply the most popular most racist one?

There's a Black Panther villain named "Man-Ape"

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I don't know man. I mean, Fu Manchu alone.

Hachface on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hachface wrote: »

Egg Fu and his magic mustache trap.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Man, when Superman slaps a Jap it's serious business.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No "slap a Jap" mention is complete without a plug for superdickery.com. Egad that is some crazy stuff.

216_4_007.jpg

01062288700469.gif

1554_4_15.jpg

306_4_044.jpg

This one is the worst of the lot:

249_4_023.jpg

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What the shit is going on in that 2nd one.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    What the shit is going on in that 2nd one.

Lame super villian confronts lame super hero?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »

Egg Fu and his magic mustache trap.

So if Egg Fu had kids, would they be his Egg Fu young?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The homoerotic undertones in that "I aim to break you, Superman" cover are just astounding.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The homoerotic undertones in that "I aim to break you, Superman" cover are just astounding.

Seriously, visit the site. The amount of sheer homoeroticism in the early comics makes me wonder how they ever managed to survive in the culture of the time.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How can you start posting images from Superdickery and leave off this gem:

SmartBombStudios-justice.jpg

Tomanta on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hrmm, at one point I'm pretty sure Favreau did say that Mandarin would be in the film. He may have backed off on it though.

Favreau said that Mandarin would probably not be seen in this movie, but that his presence and influence would be felt. Basically, they're setting up for the sequel.

I'd also like to see this scene in the movie somewhere:
    http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a25c392156a466f01156cfafcb40191

Dalboz on
  • Options
    GriffuGriffu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm actually more hyped for Iron Man now than Dark Knight. While I'm hugely curious about Heath's performance, everything else about them have by and large left me pretty meh.

Are they opening against each other by the way? Thanks to Heath dying I think Dark Knight would still murder Iron Man if they did.

Griffu on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Griffu wrote: »
    I'm actually more hyped for Iron Man now than Dark Knight. While I'm hugely curious about Heath's performance, everything else about them have by and large left me pretty meh.

Are they opening against each other by the way? Thanks to Heath dying I think Dark Knight would still murder Iron Man if they did.

Well yeah. Dark Knight is an automatic blockbuster now, which is probably a good thing because Heath was a good actor.

I'm certainly not sad to be looking forward to two movies. I'm usually pretty "meh" about the hollywood scene in general.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander