As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Graphics On!] Help me use my new PC!

randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
Alright I just recently got a brand new PC that can run any game I can think of at max settings. Except now I've come to realize I don't really have any new PC games that can really take advantage of the power this machine has. My last PC could barely run Bioshock so I'm kind of behind when it comes to new and awesome games. Though the only new game I can actually think of at the moment is Crysis.

So help me actually use this new PC and recommend me some kick ass games.

Please? Think of the children?

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
I never asked for this!
randombattle on

• Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Crysis

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Crysis

Call of Duty 4
    Bioshock

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    See specs before recommending Crysis. Srsly.

Tav on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I ran the demo of Crysis with everything at max and it was perfectly fine. Also I said I already own Bioshock.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Company of Heroes: Awesome RTS game set in WWII. I was also surprised by how well done the SP campaign was done as well. Very atmospheric.

World In Conflict: RTS where they removed the base building to focus on the strategy and keeping you in the thick of the action. Set during an alternate 90's where Russia invades the US after the Berlin wall didn't come down. More of a multiplayer game, but what a multiplayer game.

The Witcher: Probably not as processor intensive as you'd like, but I'm playing through it now and it's quite a good fantasy RPG. Darker than the usual Tolkien-esque stuff.

More as I think of it.

EDIT: I presume you've already played through the Orange Box right?

subedii on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My recommendations:

Company of Heroes, and CoH: Opposing Fronts, if you like RTS games.
    The Orange Box (HL2 + both episodes, Portal, TF2)
    Hitman: Blood Money
    Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (make sure you have the Starforce uninstaller on hand for after you've finished the game)

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How many threads have there been about this stuff? :/

Fuga on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fuga wrote: »

A lot, especially considering that PC gaming is dead.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    See specs before recommending Crysis. Srsly.

Well if he wants to make his PC weep like a girl...Crysis.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    World In Conflict: RTS where they removed the base building to focus on the strategy and keeping you in the thick of the action. Set during an alternate 90's where Russia invades the US after the Berlin wall didn't come down. More of a multiplayer game, but what a multiplayer game.

I was actually surprised at how good the single player campaign is in this game. And it's definitely a visual treat when you completely fuck up a map with bombardments, shells and clusterbombs.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fuga wrote: »

Yeah, fucking videogames. Why the fuck should all these cunts enjoy them on the system of their choice, the fuckers.

Tav on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is what happens when you take mega threads away

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not stunning in terms of modern day graphics, but a solid romp if you haven't tried it and it's only 20 bones on Steam: STALKER.

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Rook wrote: »

I was actually surprised at how good the single player campaign is in this game. And it's definitely a visual treat when you completely fuck up a map with bombardments, shells and clusterbombs.

I liked that it had persistent characters throughout and you got to see them over the course of the war, but I think I prefered Company of Heroes' campaign for the epic atmosphere.

But man the game really does know how to destroy a city and look good doing it.

subedii on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I liked that it had persistent characters throughout and you got to see them over the course of the war, but I think I prefered Company of Heroes' campaign for the epic atmosphere.

Company of Heroes is appreciably more epic than World in Conflict?

Well, when the company commander gets shot by a fucking tank and then flies through the air at the camera in extreme fucking bullet time, it was epically stupid. Possibly even epically funny.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Pancake wrote: »

Company of Heroes is appreciably more epic than World in Conflict?

Well, when the company commander gets shot by a fucking tank and then flies through the air at the camera in extreme fucking bullet time, it was epically stupid. Possibly even epically funny.

Just personal preferences. I was largely talking about whilst you're playing the actual campaign. I just thought the campaign in CoH felt more epic, more like a soldiers eye-view of the battlefield. I think a large part of it was the awesome voicework for the soldiers, like how they react differently when they're under fire. I never get tired of hearing "We're airborne! We're meant to be surrounded!".

subedii on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Second CoD4, add Gears of War PC.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    run 2 instances of Crysis at once on dual monitors.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I forgot about Gears of War PC. It's actually a very good port. I really prefer using the mouse and keyboard to the joypad, although I've heard other people express the opposite opinion, so YMMV. There's also the added in chapter which extends the game length by maybe 1/5th (1-2 hours). Pretty good in that you can't tell it was added in later, to be honest it left me half wondering what things must have been like on the 360 version without that extra stuff. Not that the game's particularly heavy on plot, it just seemed like a bit of a leap between those two points otherwise.

One word of advice though, multiplayer's there by default, but it's a fairly small community. Also, unless you pay for a gold account, you're limited to public list play games. No ranked matches (can't say I cared), no ability to set up private games, no friend invites. Basically, if you want to co-op with a friend through the campaign, you have to set up a public game and have him join before someone else jumps in the slot. :lol:

Don't let that deter you though, because the game really does come into it's own when you're playing co-op on the hardest difficulty setting.

subedii on
  • Options
    PentPent Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    run one instance of crysis spread accross triple monitors

Pent on
    :winky:
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I'd counter Gears if you have any chance to play it on the consoles, it didn't tranisition very well at all.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

I'd counter Gears if you have any chance to play it on the consoles, it didn't tranisition very well at all.

What I played of it seemed pretty solid, and you can use the 360 pad if you need to.

Tav on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is a good time.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Orange Box

Sins of a Solar Empire - not specifically a graphics buster but when you have the option to turn everything up it's really pretty, and a great game.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    At least your new PC actually works. :(

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png