As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So this Godhand... I hear it has TWO hands. (PS2)

• Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Throwing your hand into the air with the Wii-mote to unleash the God Hand would be badass.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    We'd need three IR sensors as the Wiimote might not be accurate enough for ultimate badassery.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Goddamnit, I can't find a new copy of this for a decent price (<£30) anywhere, and this thread has really made me want to buy it. Thanks. :(

Hazz on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hazz wrote: »
    Goddamnit, I can't find a new copy of this for a decent price (<£30) anywhere, and this thread has really made me want to buy it. Thanks. :(

God Hand, PS2 - £13.43 delivered

LewieP on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Isn't this the game that goes "ding!" when you nut shot someone? If so... when there really is no other reason to own it.

(I ask because I don't have a copy yet).

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shut up, Lewie. Enjoy my goddamn commission.
    I want your babies
    Gyral wrote: »
    Isn't this the game that goes "ding!" when you nut shot someone? If so... when there really is no other reason to own it.

Does that in WWF No Mercy, too.

Hazz on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I want your babies

<3

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Gyral wrote: »

Does that in WWF No Mercy, too.

But does it have a laugh track?

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    And everyone mocks you, the enemies and audience if you try to nut-shot a chick.

Evereyone remember the first time they tried to nut-shot Q/A? Hehehe.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    I want your babies

<3

Lol commission.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    "Don't act like you don't like the....Ballbuster! Ballbuster!"

Also Hotlead the yellow Q/A can be Ballbusted. It's the grey one who laughs at you.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Haha, I went through the first stage past elvis on my hard clear + and got over 100k at the end of the stage. I guess the money you get at the end is double too. Pretty neat.
    Getting some of the more powerful abilities and running around using them in lieue of the chain yanker + yes maam kablaam crutch I've been relying on is both refreshing and awesome.
    It helps that the god moves are really "god" moves. God Haymaker is just <3, such huge range over palm smash, can cancel the recovery for wallgoodness and looks totally badass.
    It's probably the best move like that in the game, I tried out invincible fist on the dummy and it seems clumsy and untenable.

I wonder if I should take my yabbering to the backlog thread, only I've already completed this three times now. I just really want to talk about it but looks like I missed my forum window. :(

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My luck in the mini-games is so random. One night I'm losing so much money I just quit without saving and reload my game, the next I'm winning four poison Chihuahua races in a row. The best stroke of luck I've gotten, however, was when I noticed there was a video poker machine with a betting max of 1000 gold. I decided "Why the heck not" and bet 1000 gold. on my first hand, I got a flush. Played high or low twice, and I ended up with 32000 gold. :D

Though, I don't spend much of it. There's so many moves, I just don't know which to buy. D:

On another note, I'd like to say Godhand is one of the best games I've played in good while.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You know where the practise dummy is? Just in case you don't:

Go to the shop, then head out the door and past the blue shiney thing that you use to get back to the main game. There's a door there into an arena with two booths with bunny girls in it. One girl is for the sparring dummy, which fights like a medium size dude and in this mode you can equip and test out every move currently available in the shop, to see which one you like best.
    when you leave this mode, everything resets to what it was before you entered. I use it to practise techniques as well getting the timing for cancelling for more advanced maneouvers (like the wall juggles you see in kick me runs and such).
    It's also sometimes fun just to mess around with your god reels against the dummy, since you have infinite god reels (and life) while sparring.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Wow. I knew you could spar with the practice dummy, but I didn't know you could use moves from the shop. This game just became awesomer.

Thanks. :D

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sollah wrote: »
    Wow. I knew you could spar with the practice dummy, but I didn't know you could use moves from the shop. This game just became awesomer.

Thanks. :D

You can use moves without buying them, sort of like a trial.

To add to that, I've personally used the practice dummy to get a feel for dodging and combo stringing. It's not obligatory, but it's certainly recommended to ease the learning curve a bit.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dear lord I thought I'd broken myself of the Godhand addiction. Now that you've mentioned it I have to go play. :P

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    One girl is for the sparring dummy, which fights like a medium size dude
    Your enemy level can go up while fighting him too, but I don't think it goes down. Once he gets to lvl DIE, he fights like the large-type enemies (doesn't get launched by anything weaker than palm smash, leg sweeps don't work unless it's a counter-hit, etc.)

I can't <3 Godhand enough. I just got into the drunken style this playthrough, and the "avoid high attack" punches are ridiculously good. I tried to make an all-kick style, but there weren't enough combo-oriented kicks. Plus half of them launch your enemy away from you if you accidentally counter-hit them (when they dizzy, for instance).

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I abused drunken twist and moves like that my last playthrough, as well as chain yanker and yes maam kablaam. Drunken twist makes you lazy. It makes you worse at the game.
    I'm not using them at all this runthrough, although this time I am using the "God" moves so it's not that big of a sacrifice. :P

Drunken twist completely breaks the game though. You can beat the swordmaster just by doing drunken twist cancelling (cancelling the recovery of the twist after the punch hits with up dodge and doing another twist). It catches almost every enemy in the game in an infinite loop they can't get out of until they finally dizzy and you can pummel them.
    Doesn't work on: devilhand, dr ion, the boss super demon forms, the end boss, the drunky barman and a couple of others.
    Works on samurai, tiger joe, the swordmaster, first two elvis boss fights, etc etc.

If you are in a group of dudes with breakable throws and are good at breaking them, you can basically just wade into them and drunken twist on one guy until he is dead, breaking throws when necessary, then repeat.

Only time I use it now is if I'm just bored as all hell and want to get past a point that's annoying me.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just fought Devilhand and feel like I should just quit. I'm not sure anything can top that fight. One of my favorite tropes executed better than I've ever seen before with all the little details just perfect. I wish I hadn't saved; I wanna go play that fight again. So good.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Aegof wrote: »
    I just fought Devilhand and feel like I should just quit. I'm not sure anything can top that fight. One of my favorite tropes executed better than I've ever seen before with all the little details just perfect. I wish I hadn't saved; I wanna go play that fight again. So good.

Trust me, carry on. God Hand is the only game I have ever played that gets better and more fun the longer you play it. As soon as you finish the game for the first time you will want to replay it again and again and again, and the more skilled you get and the more powerful Gene gets just makes every fight that much more fun.

You would think that doing a no-god hand run on normal and stun locking every enemy with kick cancels would get boring. You would be wrong.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, um...what is the reward for a "Kick Me!" run?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I don't know, and I don't care. It's just an awesome run to do.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yalborap wrote: »

I don't know, and I don't care. It's just an awesome run to do.
    Oh, sure, it is a great satisfaction that is received upon completion, but...

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think you get something for it

Maybe a CD in the jukebox

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You get a CD and the becomes MUCH different to play. It feels like Capcom made this game and thought 'wait a second, this is a little too tough, let's throw an invincibility gauge and some super moves in here too to make it fairer'.

It's totally doable (I'm up to the flying pyramid without having acsess to a new game+) and it's been a damn fun run so far, not too tough as I know many, many tricks.

Think of it as 'Dante must die' mode for God Hand, doable but you are handicapped/the enemies are tougher. The fact that the level up meter doesn't go up too much if you don't use the god hand makes the game toatally doable.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Level up meter?
    You aren't doing it on die?
    I get bored if I fight the non die enemies in the challenges right now. Die mode enemies have all these extra moves and shit for you to anticipate, so you like, do a move then dodge the next one and then do another one that you know will make them do a really counterable move that will let you get them in the air....
    And then they just get hit by the first move and you end up ducking around like a moron.
    An example...some enemies will take two or three hits then guard, so I generally do two hits then guard break. If guard break misses I then dodge their counterattack with an updodge sweep. If this fails and they got do that duckback counter kick thing, I will dodge backwards and am at the perfect distance to do a guaranteed launch move like forearm smash. If they're near a wall, you updodge cancel the smash to wall juggling.
    There are three points in this little circuit where they can get smashed....they actually do guard after two punches and I get mach punch to dizzy. They try something that is sweep counterable after the failed guard break and I can try for up and triangle juggle starter. Or I can punish their sweep counter/start the whole combo again.

It's all very flowy. On the other hand, in normal on like level 2 or 3, they just get hit by the sweep and you never have to worry about the third option which is the second possible way to get a wall juggle out of them other than just guarding.
    Or they get hit by the guard break where you don't expect them too and you sweep them accidentally when you didn't want to.
    Or because they guard after more hits, they get hit by the guard break, then guard your sweep.

Not to mention half the time when you do break their guard your mach punch ends up killing them so you can't pummel or whatever to help your god meter. Although that is an aside since it doesn't apply to kick me runs.

Even the final devil hand, he will guard after one punch. So you do one punch and a guard breaker while watching for if it doesn't work, and 90% of the time he just gets his guard broken and you can mach punch him to dizzy. On normal this doesn't work as well so you can't use multihits with as much confidence.

The sword master as well, if you guard break him he counters with an updodgeable swipe, so you can throw out a break to provoke him to do this swipe which you can then punish. I've gotten him all the way to guard break to mach punch simply by doing jab, guardbreak, updodge until it finally hits then machpunch (which is on a seperate command from my combo chain) then you get yer pummel/wall juggle.

After my fun run through hard with the god moves I plan to start my kick me run. Just running through without yes maam kablaam and chain yanker makes the game significantly tougher even with the god moves, so it's gonna be a massive challenge. I've also banned myself from drunken twist, but I do still use my god reels and god hand when it fills up. It's a lot of fun. :)

Morninglord on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, I saw this at Gamestop today. Thought about getting it on pure recommendation from the boards, but something stopped me.

Clover Studios.

Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 didn't impress me at all. And I absolutely HATE Okami with a passion. Is this still recommended?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, I saw this at Gamestop today. Thought about getting it on pure recommendation from the boards, but something stopped me.

Clover Studios.

Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 didn't impress me at all. And I absolutely HATE Okami with a passion. Is this still recommended?

No, mostly because you don't have a soul or a heart.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Clover Studios.

Seriously. We're gonna call you a dick when you go out. Which is unlikely, since you apparently hate fun.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 didn't impress me at all. And I absolutely HATE Okami with a passion.

Those words... that order... it just seems so WRONG.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Clover Studios.

I haven't been able to play Okami yet, but how did you not find Viewtiful Joe impressive?

Anyways, I'm not sure if it's recommendable or not. I love this game, a lot, but Godhand isn't for everyone. It's a challenging beat-em-up that will remind you of the days which you spent plunking in quarter after quarter playing Final Fight, X-Men, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, D&D, Captain America and The Avengers, etc. The fixed camera, however, will ultimately frustrate you at first and you'll feel that the game will be unfair, given the amount of enemies it throws at you. But, if you can time your dodges right and keep an eye on your radar, you'll start to get the hang of it. Once you do, you're in for a fun time.

Well, except for when you get stuck at certain points and feel like hurling the controller across the room. Did I mention it's challenging? <.<

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    ZuorZuor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Clover Studios.

Seriously. We're gonna call you a dick when you go out. Which is unlikely, since you apparently hate fun.

Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 were quite annoying, never liked them that much. And Okami.... Well I haven't tried it yet, probably going to buy the Wii version or just rent it from a friend of mine. Everybody says it's really easy and because of that I might skip it. I just hate games that have no challenge at all.

But anyways, I still loved God Hand, so yeah, I would recommend it eventhough you didn't like the Viewtiful Joes.

Zuor on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sollah wrote: »

Clover Studios.

I haven't been able to play Okami yet, but how did you not find Viewtiful Joe impressive?

Anyways, I'm not sure if it's recommendable or not. I love this game, a lot, but Godhand isn't for everyone. It's a challenging beat-em-up that will remind you of the days which you spent plunking in quarter after quarter playing Final Fight, X-Men, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, D&D, Captain America and The Avengers, etc. The fixed camera, however, will ultimately frustrate you at first and you'll feel that the game will be unfair, given the amount of enemies it throws at you. But, if you can time your dodges right and keep an eye on your radar, you'll start to get the hang of it. Once you do, you're in for a fun time.

Well, except for when you get stuck at certain points and feel like hurling the controller across the room. Did I mention it's challenging? <.<

Yeah. I randomly decided to not use god reels or god hand to beat "The King" in demon form today. I figured with all the high damage god move powers in my combo it wouldn't be too hard.

D:

Took me two hours to figure out how to do it, build the right speedy multi hitting combo to get him to pummel, and learn all his attacks since every time he hit me he took off a 1/3 to 2/3rds of my life.
    By the end of it though I was dodging everything he did, even the giant rolling attack you can't sidestep. You can just backflip straight through it with the right timing.

Beating him on a fresh run will be "interesting".

I actually really enjoyed it though, since sometimes when everything goes right for you using godreels and godhand and the crates drop a few more godreels or something, you breeze through some fights and kind of go "Is that it?". This was much more epic and satisfying.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So you folks like torturing yourselves don't you? Everything about this game just sounds....too hard. It kinda scares me.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    So you folks like torturing yourselves don't you? Everything about this game just sounds....too hard. It kinda scares me.

It is hard, but everything about the presentation just elevates it above any other concerns.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's a lot easier if you can watch someone play it first, so you see how you're supposed to be playing it. I watched a friend play it for a while, then tried it myself and finished the first level on Hard first try.

Glal on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This game is hard, but not nearly as hard as say, Devil May Cry

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Really? It sounds ALOT harder than DMC and I beat all 4 of those on at least two difficulties each.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It's hard, but rarely cheap. Pretty much every attack in the game is easily avoided if you know the timing, and as you get more skilled enemies that were tough and challenging become jokes that you toy with at your leisure.
    Everytime I found something that I thought was cheap, I later realised Gene can handle it like it was a kids toy. I'm just not pressing the buttons correctly.

Whereas, well, DMD chessboard pretty much epitomises the difference there really clearly. It's unfun, cheap and boring.

Morninglord on