As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So this Godhand... I hear it has TWO hands. (PS2)

13»

• l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If it is, you're playing it wrong. God of War throws shit at you you can't really have a hope of getting past. Devil May Cry, same thing. In God Hand, it's entirely possible to make it out of anything completely unharmed if you're good enough. If you've got a good enough grasp on the game's basic mechanics, you're unstoppable. It's only hard if YOU make a mistake, and THAT'S why we love it; it's a game that actively rewards you for being good at it.

Quit being a sissy and buy it, nancy.

l337CrappyJack on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I never thought I'd be able to survive without yesmaam kablaam, chain yanker. Bosses are too cheap! You need multiple chain yankers! As if.
    They never vary their move timing and the really hard to avoid moves have huge windups, like a tidal wave you can dodge.
    The only times the game frustrates me is when my timing is off because I'm sleepy or trying to play it at 3am.
    And when that happens, because this isn't an official kick me run but just me learning not to rely on crutches too much, I just bust out the godhand and equip yes maam etc and go to town.

When I do my fresh kick me run I'll be playing another hard mode clear save concurrently, so that if I'm having a really bad day on the kick me run I can go smash shit up with overpowered god moves and have fun. :D

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Having just dug this thing out due to this thread, I'm realizing something.

My muscle memory is SHIT. I'm getting my ass beat and relying heavily on health items.

yalborap on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This game is basically full of moments where you are all like "Man, this is impossible! I will never be good enough to do this!"

Then each time you try it, you get a little better. Rely on God Mode/reels less and less, and eventually you just about make it.

Then you hit the point were you think "man, I can't believe I found that so hard, it's easy now."

Then it steps up the difficulty again.

Rinse repeat until completion.

The best thing about it is that it's always challenging, but it is always your fault when you die, and you always do better next time.

LewieP on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    God of War was hard.....I thought those games were easy I was chaining like 2,000 hit attacks regularly.

ZombieAsuma on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I bought God Hand for two reasons. (1) it's attained cult status among gamers like those on these boards, so there must be somethin' there. (2) it was Clover's last game.

I took it home, went through a couple levels and thought the whole thing was pretty 'meh'. I went and played some Fatal Frame, some God of War, I did a run through of ICO and came back to it - and my opinion evolved.
    LewieP wrote: »
    The best thing about it is that it's always challenging, but it is always your fault when you die, and you always do better next time.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So you folks like torturing yourselves don't you? Everything about this game just sounds....too hard.

Hard is good. When a game is genuinely difficult and not artificially difficult (I'm looking at YOU, Ninja Gaiden's camera), beating it is the most satisfying gaming experience imaginable. God Hand is the best kind of Hard.

Yes, this review link has already been posted. I feel it needs to be reiterated, though, since it tells you everything about the game that you need to decide whether or not its for you.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So you folks like torturing yourselves don't you? Everything about this game just sounds....too hard.

Hard is good. When a game is genuinely difficult and not artificially difficult (I'm looking at YOU, Ninja Gaiden's camera), beating it is the most satisfying gaming experience imaginable. God Hand is the best kind of Hard.

Yes, this review link has already been posted. I feel it needs to be reiterated, though, since it tells you everything about the game that you need to decide whether or not its for you.

The first 20s remains the best and most balanced review about God Hand on the internet.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Every time I see that video, I wish I had a Scottish accent.

UnbreakableVow on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just beat all the challenges today so I could unlock challenge 51 and have a go.

Wow.

Just wow.

I can't do shit to him. I guess those god moves aren't so overpowered after all.

Amongst one of my many deaths trying to even get him below half health, he dodged the last hit of my pummel and countered me for the kill. O_O

This one is going to keep me busy for a good long time. I heard you can beat him easily using fist of god in god hand, but that sounds boring, I quite like needing to work really hard for every god hand meter.

Anyone got any combo building tips?

Is palm smash better than haymaker of god vs him? I thought haymaker was faster. I seen a few videos using palm smash and was trying to work out why you'd use it when haymaker has better range, speed and damage.

Oh and for whoever told me a few threads ago that'd I'd really like this guy and find the fight fun.
    You were right.
    I actually changed how I put my right hand on the controller just so I could react fast enough if I got caught in a pummel, because in the time it took to move my hands to hit square, triangle circle in a repeating fashion from the normal controller grip I'd fallen too far behind to catch up to him and outpummel him.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited March 2008
    I too could use some tips with the combo. The one I have is okay for regular enemies, but it's too forward-focused, and it fails against Elvis3. Any suggestions for a move that's fast AND with a wide angle to how much it hits, to limit how much I can be ganged up on?

EDIT: I'm also doing a kick me run, which makes it hard as BALLS. Fun, though, and still very beatable.

yalborap on
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    FYI for those who don't know how the dynamic difficulty works in this game: There are 4 AI difficulty levels. They are 1, 2, 3, and DIE. These determine how aggressive your enemies are as well as how easy they are to launch with uppercuts and flying kicks. You always know what level you're at, as it's displayed in the corner of the screen. As you do better (score more hits, avoid damage, etc.), the enemy AI level rises. As you take damage or die, the enemy AI level decreases. It never gets any harder than level DIE. Many people who have gotten good at the game play pretty constantly at level DIE.

Note that all of this applies to Normal mode. There is also Easy mode (where the AI level only changes between 1 and 2), and Hard mode (where the AI level is locked in at level DIE).

Marty81 on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I can attest to the fact that watching someone better than you play makes you better. Use to be that I had trouble when I got to Level 3. After watching someone better than me, I can now hold my own on Level DIE.

Go me.

Gorilla Salad on
    edited March 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    I too could use some tips with the combo. The one I have is okay for regular enemies, but it's too forward-focused, and it fails against Elvis3. Any suggestions for a move that's fast AND with a wide angle to how much it hits, to limit how much I can be ganged up on?

EDIT: I'm also doing a kick me run, which makes it hard as BALLS. Fun, though, and still very beatable.

I actually did Elvis three as a semi kick me run. I used my godhand once in the whole battle, when it had filled up naturally. And I finished him off with a discombobulator for style points.
    But anyway, I got him to 2/3rds health with this, I'm sure you could take it the rest of the way:

jab one, straight one, chin music (don't look at me like that, it's fast), gene rush combo or whatever that one is called.

high kick 3.

I saw this in a kick me run on youtube.

Basically you run up in between his attacks and go jab straight chinmusic then backflip away. Get's you four very fast decent ranged hits in. Then you dodge.

The only attack that is hard to dodge is his giant roll. What you do is you wait till he is like, halfway to you, then backflip so that he hits you in the middle of the backflip. He just phases straight through you. Then you spin around and run up and 1,2,chinmusic.
    If he does a really long attack, finish with the gene rush. The point is not to do lots of damage with your normal punches, but to get in enough quick and speedy hits to eventually pummel him.
    When he goes to pummel, don't pummel straight away! Instead do about four or five fast high kick cancels to do some decent damage to him, then pummel him.

Repeat.

Have fun, the only thing that he has that's really really hard to get the hang of is his two very fast quick punches, they have no windup that I can see.

Morninglord on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kick cancelling Felix to death is so fucking satisfying.

"BLUWEH!BLUWEH!BLUWEH!BLUWEH!BLUWEH!BLUWEH!BLUWEH!BLUWEH!"

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    Especially when you keep the cancel going long after they are dead. Yeah you like that? Have another one. Oh yeah. Take that. You want some more? I got some!
    Then you taunt their corpse for no reason. Boooring!

Morninglord on
  • savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just beat all the challenges today so I could unlock challenge 51 and have a go.

Wow.

Just wow.

I can't do shit to him. I guess those god moves aren't so overpowered after all.

Amongst one of my many deaths trying to even get him below half health, he dodged the last hit of my pummel and countered me for the kill. O_O

This one is going to keep me busy for a good long time. I heard you can beat him easily using fist of god in god hand, but that sounds boring, I quite like needing to work really hard for every god hand meter.

Anyone got any combo building tips?

Is palm smash better than haymaker of god vs him? I thought haymaker was faster. I seen a few videos using palm smash and was trying to work out why you'd use it when haymaker has better range, speed and damage.

Oh and for whoever told me a few threads ago that'd I'd really like this guy and find the fight fun.
    You were right.
    I actually changed how I put my right hand on the controller just so I could react fast enough if I got caught in a pummel, because in the time it took to move my hands to hit square, triangle circle in a repeating fashion from the normal controller grip I'd fallen too far behind to catch up to him and outpummel him.

I was the guy that told you, nice to see I was right.

Someone will probably disagree with me, but here's my secret to beating him: the healing roulettes. Challenge 51 is a long, long fight, so unlike most bosses you are going to have to do most of the damage with normal attacks and the god hand. In the long run, you're going to be able to do more damage with an extra one and a third bar of health than with any combination of offensive roulettes. If possible you should avoid the pummel matches as well, because even if you win you will have lost some health, and health is very precious.

There is still one attack in the game that I am simply unable to dodge, however:
    Demon Shannon's rush attack on level die. On the other levels I can just run out of the way, but on level die the attack she runs a lot faster and I can never get way in time.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    Stay right up close to her and she rarely does it.
    This takes balls of steel.
    Alternatively, equip step back kick and cancel the kick with sidestep after Gene does the step back bit. You will move almost as fast as demons do. Back~ss~back~ss~back~ss
    If you want incredible speed though, learn to cancel the step back with updodge and just do another step back. You can't dodge very well like this, you get no sidestep. But you can get some massive distance really quickly that way once you get it up to speed since once you've mastered it you are basically doing an infinite step back dash.

Were you the guy that told me to experiment with multihits more? If so thankyou, because machpunch 1 or 2 is permanently on my triangle button.
    Although the first two hits of my combo are still jab straight. Sorry. :P

Morninglord on
  • StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would like to take this moment to say that I like your choice of a vice-president, savooipeerd.

The thing about God Hand is that no matter how good you are going to get at this game, there is always, always something to come back to. Always meaningful, always a challenge...

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Strifer wrote: »
    The thing about God Hand is that no matter how good you are going to get at this game, there is always, always something to come back to. Always meaningful, always a challenge...

And thus the glory of God Hand. It's the genius of having a game thats just about punching people. No hour long cutscenes to get bored with, no lengthly tutorial sequences, no crying in the corner over your tragic past. Just punching people in the face.

Also fuck Richard! Michael Wilson for life!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited March 2008
    I would like to take this moment to say that I like your choice of a vice-president, savooipeerd.

I had a long day yesterday and couldn't play much god hand when I got home.

That night, I dreamt about the timing necessary to high kick counter enemies into the wall.

I'm thinking I need a certain amount of godhand per day, or else I start dreaming about it. :O

The beauty of it is that the challenge is actually yours to decide. There are numerous completely overpowered moves to abuse and float gaily through the levels with. An example is drunken twist.
    You can also abuse multiple chain yankers and yes maams and even dizzy people and yes maam them to pummel. All of this I would count as abused moves. It's only when I stop using them that I actually learn how to fight the enemies properly.

Morninglord on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It is possible to use Drunken Twist as a regular combo opener without abusing it, of course.
    Although i prefer Half-Moon Kick.

Xagarath on
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So guys, I own this game after picking it up from all the recommendations on PA, etc. However, I can't freaking make it past the first damn stage. Maybe I'm getting lame in my old age or something, but my ass is getting stomped on. Usually about the time the first level up thing goes off. Any surefire tricks or strats offhand, without delving through GameFAQs, offhand? I do a bit of dodging, throw some punches, but they inevitably whittle me down with a punch here and there until I'm dead. Also, fuck that demon, fuck him right in the ear.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
    edited March 2008
    Masume wrote: »
    So guys, I own this game after picking it up from all the recommendations on PA, etc. However, I can't freaking make it past the first damn stage. Maybe I'm getting lame in my old age or something, but my ass is getting stomped on. Usually about the time the first level up thing goes off. Any surefire tricks or strats offhand, without delving through GameFAQs, offhand? I do a bit of dodging, throw some punches, but they inevitably whittle me down with a punch here and there until I'm dead. Also, fuck that demon, fuck him right in the ear.

I'm assuming you're using your God Hand?

yalborap on
    edited March 2008

Yeah, the few that I get. First one goes to that stupid statue coming out of the ground.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
    edited March 2008

Yeah, the few that I get. First one goes to that stupid statue coming out of the ground.

Okay, you're doin' it a bit wrong. Keep your God Hand for those really tough points. Also, learn how to dodge the enemy attacks. And when all else fails, Object Assault.

yalborap on
    edited March 2008

Okay, you're doin' it a bit wrong. Keep your God Hand for those really tough points. Also, learn how to dodge the enemy attacks. And when all else fails, Object Assault.

I was thinking that, although the game blatantly tells you to use the damn thing when it pops out, similar to 'DO A BARREL ROLL', just replaced barrel roll for GODHAND. What's Object Assault? Throwing crap? I only ever find a barrel to use.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Consider altering your combo (Barrel Roll Kick is slow as anything, bur works reasonably on the opening enemies). Throw crates and barrels like nobody's business. Dodge whenever you see a move telegraphed. Use both your roulette and god hand on demons, and save them for them unless you're about to die.

There's also a guy with a plank somewhere in the first area. Beat him up, grab it, use it to take down a group.

Xagarath on
  • ChtulieChtulie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Here might be an easy way to grasp Godhand for starters:

It helps if you've played Resident Evil 4, not unsurpisingly, and experience there can help here:
    Pay lots of attention to your position and facing. Keep enemies out of your back and flanks. Spot enemies that are about to throw an attack which they telegraph well in advance. Make as effecient use as possible of your arsenal. Remeber that they can take way more damage then you can.

Like RE4 it's also an assymtrically balanced game. They can block, you can dodge, they've got more health, you can replenish yours, they've got numbers, you've got the special moves. So the key to winning is to play the game to your character's strengths, to play a diffirent game then the one the enemies try to play with you.
    Or to put it another way:
    You're playing Muhammed Ali and the field is filled with Foreman and Liston clones.

Chtulie on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Your style is impetuous.

l337CrappyJack on
    edited March 2008
    My advice is to keep at it and try different moves. It sort of starts clicking after a while, but the first few moments might be painful.

Once you beat the stage, go fight the practice dummy in the arena. Do it until you can maintain Level DIE for a satisfying amount of time. The experience gained from this will help you see what you should do, what you shouldn't do, and how to look for weakpoints. Note that you do not receive damage during practice, and you can use moves from the shop without buying them.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Unless you're this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/user/enraiharuka

Marty81 on
    edited March 2008
    Here's a rough guide to level 1-1. I'm not telling you how to fight guys, just how to use the level best to your advantage. It is reasonably detailed with regards to the level, so contains some tactical spoilers, but no major plot spoilers.

First off, labomba the first two thugs. Finish them off.
    When the fat guy comes out, watch out for his charge. If he doesn't charge, run up and start whacking on him. He gives you a generous amount of time to see his guard and break it.

After this, go right, around the pub, past the first two boxes, and surprise the guy with the weapon who is waiting to surprise you. You can sneak up on him completely before he notices you. Take him out, just don't use the god hand, and don't use the big spinning smash. (He'll probably hit you while it's starting, since it's so slow, and if you miss, you'll eat a facefull of beam guaranteed)
    He attacks horizontally twice, then vertically once. You can updodge the first two attacks, or backflip out of the way of all of it.

After this, go inside the building he was standing in front of, and go upstairs, where there are some crates. Beat up all but one, you need one.
    Then exit the building and ignore the thugs beating up the civilian, instead go in the other door where those thugs are lounging around.
    Stand just inside the door and taunt the first guy. He'll run at you alone if you do it not too close, so beat him up and be careful not to get to close to the other one.
    Then repeat with the second guy.
    Then go around the corner and there is a guy who turns into a demon as soon as you kill him. You want your god hand available for this, so I sure hope you have it.
    Kill him, and then go to godhand when the demon comes out. While you are hammering away with him on the square button as fast as possible in godhand, when the bar is nearly about to run out hammer on the circle button at the same time to start the pummel while still in god hand.
    Then when the pummel starts, hit circle, triangle, square alternatingly as fast as possible to pummel him while in godhand for the rest of his life.
    This should finish him off or nearly.

After this get whatever he drops and go back the way he came. A big thug and a little thug will appear. Just try not to get surrounded is my best advice, don't use up your labomba on them if you can. Watch out for guard breaks and keep your distance, punching each one a bit at a time then backflipping away.

After that, go upstairs and enjoy some crates, then go back out the way you come in. Turn right now. (Don't use the explosive barrel yet).
    go a little bit towards the guys and the idol will come out of the ground. Beat it up, just hit it as fast as possible with your normal combo.
    You'll get a godhand filler out of it. Save it! You should have at least a half a god hand from the fat guy and little thug, you want to fill this one up first on the next enemies.

Now, don't go attack that group. Yes I said it. Instead, turn around and go back and get the crate I told you to save. Come back with it, and throw it at the right hand dude. He should come and run up at you alone as long as you don't hit the other guys as well. So back off a bit and beat him up.
    If you left some more crates around, go and throw them at another guy and repeat, but you'll probably pull both of them.
    After two of the original three are dead, two more will appear. Hopefully you have gotten your godhand by now, since you are surrounded by three dudes. Simply bust it out and go to town, you should kill them all.
    Then go pick up the bikini item (arent you glad I told you to save it now?)

When you head back to get it or after you get it three guys should suddenly open a gate and run out at you through a cut scene....run away from them! All the way to the start of the stage, past where the civilian you saved is waiting. Then turn around. They should have gone back to standing just inside the gate.
    Go and talk to the civvy, then go and get that explosive barrel and fling it at those three dudes. It should kill em all.
    Now head in the gate. There's a guy leaning on the wall, try not to knock him back with the barrel roll kick into the guy behind him, he has a pipe and is not fun.
    Instead backflip a bit and try to position him so his back is to the wall, then beat him up.
    Now go beat up the guy with the pipe, treat him as you did the guy with the beam (this is why I made you fight that guy first, so you got used to weapons.)
    when you have his pipe, turn to your left, and there's a guy against the wall with another pipe. Throw your pipe at him, and finish him off (although on lower difficulties this will kill him outright).
    Pick up his pipe, and go back to the well and face the fat guy sitting on the civilian. Don't head too far into that corridor, you will spawn three enemies. Instead stand just at the edge of where the wall starts and throw your pipe at him.
    It will hit him, and make him come towards you. Let him do so, just wait patiently, taunt him abit to make sure he doesn't give up. Now pull him out into the other area and beat him up. A demon will spawn from him. Unleash the godhand you got from the bikini and haven't used yet, and kill it the same as you did the other one, pummelling near the end of the godhand.
    Now, go explore everywhere except that corridor, there's some crates in the horsestables (you have to jump up on the roof) break whatever crates you haven't yet etc.
    Go get the item from the civilians you saved too if you haven't already.
    When you are ready to finish the level and have everything, go down that corridor. you will trigger three enemies.
    Turn around and labomba them, and finish off the remains.
    Then go through the gate.

If you want to save your god reels and stuff you can just run straight up to the gate and run away, but you will get a penalty for not saving the civilian. You don't need to labomba the last guys either, you can just run away soon as the cutscene ends and go through the gate.

This way just means you fight the least amount of people simultaneously in the first stage as possible.

Morninglord on
  • Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Holy shit.

I see I still have a lot of work to do in this game.

Masamune42 on
    edited March 2008
    Haha I learnt some neat shit off that guy. Was watching stage 2-1. I didn't know you could still triangle kick them after your up and triangle only stunned them. And I didn't know you could fly kick someone after a barrel, that was sweet as hell.

Morninglord on
    edited March 2008
    This guy is unreal. The best thing is that he does not abuse cheap moves, and he even dodged Kung Fu Tango. Admittedly, it's not hard to do so - you can even side-dodge the last punch for extra hilarity.

Now I have an inkling to play God Hand on hard.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg