As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky (56kers beware)

Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
Eurogamer got their hands on a slew of new screens and it looks gorgeous.

Here's the link to all of them.

And here's a select few that I thought stood out.
Stalker_CS_PC_20080303_05.jpg.jpg
ssq_anton_07_06_07_16_40_06__katacomb_.jpg.jpg
ssq_anton_07_06_07_16_18_13__katacomb_.jpg.jpg

Tech demo..... on a camera?!

Big Classy on

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just hope the game has improved multiplayer, maybe even some levels from the first game. No one ever talks about STALKER's multiplayer, but it was incredible fun and deserved more players. It had a slew of game modes, the level design was great and really creepy, the ballistics were realistic, and it was fun earning money and promotions. You could buy all sorts of gear and weapon mods.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would be signed up to buy this day-one already, if I felt my pc could anywhere near take it. I completed Stalker, but my pc crossed the line in a wheezing, sputtering mess. But I really want this, because the first was such a fantastic game..

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have high hopes that this will actually release soon and not get stuck in the development nightmare that plagued the first game. I really need to go back and finish STALKER now that I have a machine that can actually run it...

Those screens are quite impressive looking!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I actually think this one may be less of a nightmare to run than the first. Colour me insane, but I think they may have learned from their mistakes and made it more friendly. Sure it looks better than the first but I don't think people are gonna have as hard a time running it. The first was a nightmare even if you had the recommended spec.

There shouldn't be much, if any, delays as they're using the same engine last I heard.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm already behind, I still haven't even started the first. They need to delat the expansion to accomadate me.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Seriously, mate How could you not have tried it yet? You're PC is better than mine, from what I recall. Its pretty cheap on steam too. There's no excuses for laziness.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    My current PC isn't better than anything... the PC I'm building will be able to run it...

It's not done yet! :(

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    I'm already behind, I still haven't even started the first. They need to delat the expansion to accomadate me.

It's actually not an expansion. It's a stand-alone prequel. Just clearing that up. :) You don't need the first game to play this one. The prequel is also going to be more open ended. You can join any of the factions in the game and lead them to victory.

I hope the real sequel chooses to do what the original concept was, however. Originally, and for a long time up until just before its release, STALKER was marketed as an open world game. The final game was split up into levels which you could go back and forth between. Previously, it was completely open, like Elder Scrolls, and survival aspects were suppose to be really important. It seemed much more terrifying, with players finding shelter for a storm, food to eat, hiding from the beasties at night. I really hope they bring that back eventually.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So what are the chances of this coming to 360? I know the developer was made an official 360 developer (or something like that) a few months ago.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just built a new machine, but I'm not holding my breath for high settings.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    I hope the real sequel chooses to do what the original concept was, however. Originally, and for a long time up until just before its release, STALKER was marketed as an open world game. The final game was split up into levels which you could go back and forth between. Previously, it was completely open, like Elder Scrolls, and survival aspects were suppose to be really important. It seemed much more terrifying, with players finding shelter for a storm, food to eat, hiding from the beasties at night. I really hope they bring that back eventually.

Honestly, that sounds pretty damn good. If they added that it would add a LOT more depth to the game, which even now is a lot IMO.

I've been running STALKER on full settings with graphics mods installed, so I'll be eager to see what the prequel will do for me. Looks pretty as hell, the nights actually look dark which is nice.

Loathing on
  • Options
    War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Definately looking forward to this one. I hear that the factions are now fleshed out and that joining them is a lot more significant than it was in the original game.

Man, thinking about the times I've had playing the original, the atmosphere and setting were just...perfect.

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is the world more open and cell like as it was supposed to be for the original stalker? Also have they got A-Life working right by now?

vhzod on
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ...I don't think you actually could join either of the Factions in the original. I know you run missions for them, but I don't think you join them unless someone made a mod for that.

Loathing on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    all i want to say is that the building in one of those screenies is eerily amazing grfx. dood.

Sueve on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man I cannot wait for this. Stalker was such a kick ass game and so much fun.

If this actually does have more open gameplay then hot damn. But really even if it was just more of the same I'd still buy it asap.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So what are the chances of this coming to 360? I know the developer was made an official 360 developer (or something like that) a few months ago.

As far as I can hope: Zero.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The one thing that dissipoints me is that a co-op mode will be all but completily unlikely, which is a shame since there were several parts in the original that would have been awesome to have a few friends working with you on.

Still, the lighting in some of those screens looks fantastic, and hopefully the devs learned their lessons from STALKER (and the subsequent shitton of modding people did).

Sorenson on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Stalker was a great game, shame the company itself never lived up to the SDK and freeplay mode they kept promising.

Morkath on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Still waiting for that final S.T.A.L.K.E.R. patch :(

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Stalker was one of my favourites. Buying this theday it hits

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Morkath wrote: »
    Stalker was a great game, shame the company itself never lived up to the SDK and freeplay mode they kept promising.

They're still working on it.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sad, but inevitable news/rumor:

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/03/05/stalker-clear-sky-dated-for-august/
    Koch has told videogaming247 today that GSC Game World’s S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky is slated for an August release.

The prequel to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl had gone without a date since the publisher took control of the game in January.

Survival shooter Clear Sky is still something of a mystery at the moment, but the reputation of the first game is bulletproof among PC gamers for being broken but brilliant.

We’ll have more on this soon.

And so it begins...

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Why is that sad but inevitable?

What am I missing? Do babies die if games are released in August?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    GSC has been saying spring 2008 unofficially for a while. If we're starting a pool, I'll put my money on summer 2009 now.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yay, I have plenty of time now.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    OP updated with a tech demo video.

Big Classy on