As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The West-Coast Supertrip 2006

• Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    One of the guys just sent you an email.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    galen_myth1galen_myth1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Hey there guys. I am wondering if anyone else has room for a sacramento person. Charles, is it true that Nick aka starpally is no longer going? I didn't want to go if it was only he and I as he had like a large truck with not good gas mileage and I can't afford to pay too much in gas. Now I am wondering who else if anyone is leaving from this point?

galen_myth1 on
    "You use weird things"-Dingo from ZOE 2

XBL:MythPlus

anyone for halo? :winky:
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    well i'm not leaving from sacramento but i'm already picking up one passenger there your welcome to hop in.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Im still trying to figure out a way for me to possibly get there... As I managed to get $130 for my birthday, and still havnt hit my dad up yet... And theres a couple jobs I plan on applying for this week, so hopfully somehow I can figure something out. I still want to go damnit.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Uh, there's an open spot in Michael Wilson's car (Details).

I ran his car and distance through the gas price calculator, and your share of total gas would work out to just under $75, with you, him, and the two guys from Sacramento riding. Each of the Sacramento riders would pay $60. I'd call that doable.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    I'm still here. I think I have a spot open too.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    CrapfestivalCrapfestival Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    well i'm not leaving from sacramento but i'm already picking up one passenger there your welcome to hop in.

Wicked stuff. Thanks a lot, man. It's really appreciated.

Crapfestival on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I'd get contactin' if you want a spot in that Nissan, eelektrik. Looks like they're down to one.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Problems is Im still not sure if I can afford it, yeah I have enough money to get there, but then I need to find a place to crash, and money for food, and whatnot... I dont want to claim a ride in someones car unless I know Im going for sure at this point.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    RadHazGRadHazG Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    food? sleep? easily dismissable and minor things compared to the greatness that is pax! still, understandable I suppose. hope you can get your stuff together and make it up!

still no contact from ben184, though I suppose the guy who emailed me about getting a ride in sacramento has a ride now ctish? I'm still keeping my car open for him until I get a yes/no from him

RadHazG on
    Games and billions of dollars of destructive equipment? A match made in heaven!
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, I think all the Sacramento people are set up.

So, I guess it's down to eelektrik or ben184 in your car, whichever of them makes their god damned decision first.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    galen_myth1galen_myth1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    hey cool...thank you very much mike please do hold that spot for me. I was going to fly but f that wcst ftw! also so charles no word of what happened to nick basham/starpally?

galen_myth1 on
    "You use weird things"-Dingo from ZOE 2

XBL:MythPlus

anyone for halo? :winky:
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    He decided against putting the extra miles on his truck, and so arranged to catch a ride with Patrick Jarvi.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    ben184ben184 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    $3500 was the final damage. At least it drives like new. Should last me another 50k miles. Still cheaper than a "new" used car.

I do love my car....

Yeah, but $3500...

I'm having major money problems, mostly related to my car meltdown. I have also been given 30 days notice on my apartment (housemate is getting married), and as usual, all my credit cards are maxed out.

So I'm saving up and try to sell a bunch of stuff. Starting with this:
    Limited Edition Penny Arcade laser cel - Twisp & Catsby
    (sell some Penny Arcade to go to Penny Arcade...)

I'm not sure if the Supertrip is the best financial choice. I've been talking to ctishman, and we were talking about planes, trains, and automobile options. They all cost money; some in indirect ways. If I take the ride being offered, I miss 2 days of work ($240 lost income). If I leave Friday night by plane, I am spending $284 on a plane ticket, AND I miss Friday. Either way, there's the hotel costs.

One thing is sure: I will not be driving my 300zx up to Washington. Daniel, sorry to leave you hanging 2 weeks before PAX. Hopefully the Newhall driver's seat is still open.

So we'll see what happens in the next 2 weeks...

:(

ben184 on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    wow, sorry to hear about that. expensive, but better than buying another car. to say nothing of sentimental value. I've still got a seat in my car available for you if you need it though!

RadHazG on
  • Options
    ben184ben184 Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Congrats to RadHazG, who might be driving back down with the WCST in a new Scion xB!

ben184 on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Wow, that would be odd - coming back with more cars than you left with.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    jenellejenelle Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    So my friend that we were picking up in Eugene is being a tool and not requesting days off so he won't be leaving til Friday. This means that I have PLENTY of room in the car as there will be nothing in the back seat. Also we have a BED available for Thursday night.

If anyone needs a ride from Medford up please let me know, especially if you can drive as I need the extra in-car time for tetris DS training. The drive would be really boring with just two people.

jenelle on
    cJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    good god. saw the prize and head essplooded. How the heck would I get another car down here? eh, something to worry about later.

I'm taking over ben's previous rider so my car is full now. Glad to see you're going to make it up there despite being crit'd on your repair bill. ;)

RadHazG on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Easy: Have someone drive yours, and take the new Scion down yourself.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    doczerodoczero Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Looks like I'm gonna pick up Megapuppy from the airport to ride up with you's guys from the Tacoma rest stop.

Got Bawls?
    DocZero

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Re: Megapuppy: Fuck yes!

Re: Bawls: Fuck. No.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I'll share. I have a couple hundred bottles.
    DocZero

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2006
    DocZero, why do you sign your posts?

That is what sigs are for.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I'm old. I built my first PC mod in the '80s. A sinclair zx128 in an IBM keyboard chassis.
    I guess I still think of it like writing notes or letters. It's polite I guess. Old habits are hard to break too.
    DZ

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    doczero wrote:
    I'm old. I built my first PC mod in the '80s. A sinclair zx128 in an IBM keyboard chassis.
    I guess I still think of it like writing notes or letters. It's polite I guess. Old habits are hard to break too.
    DZ

Right on dude. I have to work very hard not to sign my forum posts.

I still sign my PMs.

Props to the over 30 crowd! ;)

-DJ

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    i'm gonna try to get over to bevmo (beverages and more) and pick up a case or two of bawls for the trip, but those guys charge $1.75 per bottle. so we'll see

edit: one more thing, galen_myth1 has reserved a spot in my car . . . wich pretty much fills it up. technically i can fit one more guy in the middle in the back seat . . . but . . . that' is not the ideal situation for a 23 hour trip. plus that's where i want to put the the ice box

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
  • Options
    pjarvipjarvi Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    My current passenger is no longer bringing their computer so I'll be putting the backseats up, making room for 2 more people. If anyone is still trying to find a ride I'll gladly accomodate. I can also pick people up between Sunnyvale and Sacramento, as well as take people on, along the Supertrip route.

We'll be splitting the cost of gas, and if you've got a drivers license we'd appreciate taking turns driving.

My vehicle:
    Suzuki Vitara 2001 (small SUV)
    4-door - Avg.22mpg
    Automatic Trans.

pjarvi on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2006
    .22 mpg??? Crap, I didn't know your car got such horrible gas mileage. Good thing we're bringing extra people to split the cost!

;)

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    i'm gonna try to get over to bevmo (beverages and more) and pick up a case or two of bawls for the trip, but those guys charge $1.75 per bottle. so we'll see

edit: one more thing, galen_myth1 has reserved a spot in my car . . . wich pretty much fills it up. technically i can fit one more guy in the middle in the back seat . . . but . . . that' is not the ideal situation for a 23 hour trip. plus that's where i want to put the the ice box

CompUSA, at least the one over in San Bernadino that I know of, sells 12 packs of Bawls for 16.99... A little cheaper then 1.75 each

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    there is a CompUSA way way closer to me that does sell bawls. i think it's like the only one i'm willing to drive to that sells it.. . . and I would buy some there . . . but they are always out.

I will call them up . . ask them if that have any . . many times they will say no . . . sometimes they say yes . . i'll ask them to hold it for me . . some say they will . . some say they can't . . . either way when i get to the store some guy bought the last case 10 minutes before i get there. then i feel like an ass because i drove all the way out to burbank for nothing.

so i goto bevmo . .. it's 5 times closer than the CompUSA and they always have 5 cases on the floor plus a bunch in the back. in the end i think i save more by not consuming as much gas.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Columbia Distributing in Portland sold last October for $1.05 a bottle. 24 bottle cases. Just arrange for "will call", pay cash, and pretend to be a business. I must have bought 800 bottles there last year. Maybe ZeroZero would make the trip for those of you who can guarantee him some cash. If not I could sell my stash for lunch money.

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    doczero wrote:
    Columbia Distributing in Portland sold last October for $1.05 a bottle. 24 bottle cases. Just arrange for "will call", pay cash, and pretend to be a business. I must have bought 800 bottles there last year. Maybe ZeroZero would make the trip for those of you who can guarantee him some cash. If not I could sell my stash for lunch money.
    I could do that if people line it all up right.

• Options
    jenellejenelle Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    How is the return trip working out? Everyone who needs a ride there will need a ride home, I'm assuming. I'm not leaving until Monday, but one of my passengers wants to be home (in Eugene) by Sunday night as he has work Monday morning. Are there any drivers with room that are leaving sometime on Sunday?

jenelle on
    cJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.png
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    They have opps in Medford and Eugene too.
    Pricing is up to $29.95 for 24 bottles now.

http://www.columbia-dist.com/Branches.htm

doczero on
    =
    Where there is no love,
    Nothing is possible.
    =
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Shit, I'm not going back until Monday either.

I see two options:

1) Take the 5:45pm Amtrak Cascades from Seattle to Eugene.

2) Tell work to suck it. Call in sick? C'mon, it's worth it!

Re: Bawls
    They do have a branch out at the airport here, but I called, and they don't do individual sales. :(

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    my folks are in boise, and so desperatly wanting to see me again, they bought my rider a plane ticket home for monday so I can drive over and visit. why I don't know since they see me fairly regularly and are moving back down to so cal in a month... parents are wierd sometimes.

RadHazG on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    They BOUGHT him a PLANE TICKET?

Your folks are awesome!

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    So I don't remember at all who was in my car. Is there so I can know who was in my car?

• Options
    edited August 2006
    Not really. I pretty much left in-car coordination up to the drivers. See who shows up!

Charles

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
This discussion has been closed.