As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play : Secret of Mana - Episode 15 : Over 30GB Served this month!

• Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok, episode 7 is now up! I will be posting more often now as well!

Episode 7 : "I'm Baaaaaaack"

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was angry at being woken up by a phone call from Revenu Quebec (read: IRS), but now I get to make myself a nice cup of coffee and watch this so it's all cool.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh man, there's leftover pie from yesterday, sweet!

Coffee and pie and Mana.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yes, Doc. Brawl is great.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I could never get into Pokemon as well. My OCD didn't help the "Catch them All" theme of the game. I had to collect every Pokemon as soon as I found them, and I had to level up each one to see all there evolutions.
    Thunder Saber casts the balloon effect on enemies. Since you had the sprite spear equipped you didn't notice the effect.

Experience for weapons and magic is the same no matter how difficult the enemies you fight are. You could easily level up your weapons by going back and forth through Gaia's Naval, but you would get much less character level experience. The area outside of Mantango is not a bad place to level up.

The next part isn't too hard. Just be sure to have level 3 magic before you go into the cave. After that you go to the desert. Just wonder around there until you find the airship. Eventually you'll fight another of the Emperor's goons. He isn't weak against any magic so just use weapons. Charging up your weapons help.

Edit: Brawl IS good. I got it a few days ago and I'm so hopelessly addicted.

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Why do you buy all that wonderful equipment and then don't equip it?

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ugh, I remember grinding for the awesome armor drops in the Mana Fortress. That easily added like 4 hours to my playtime.

As far as the Sprite's super spells, I only saw it with Gnome and Salamander spells. I haven't looked it up if it does it for all the offensive spells.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    SimBen wrote: »
    Why do you buy all that wonderful equipment and then don't equip it?

Oh ho ho. Ho ho ho ho ho. Oh ho ho...

oh ho ho...

I don't know, I just forgot to.

edit: and guys, you're supposed to tell me Brawl is awful and terrible and so overhyped and how Sonic isn't fun to play at all, etc. Make me feel better for abstaining just for you guys.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Awesome, let me make some tea and eggs, and I am all over this. My favorite LP going, at the mo'. <3

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well, to be fair, Sonic is kinda too fast. He's pretty hard to control, but I suspect once one gets a lot of practice with him he'll be able to kick many butts.

But honestly? You remember how back in 2005 RE4 came out in January and everyone said Game of the Year right away and they turned out to be right?

...yeah.

(though I suppose GTA4 will offer it some tough competition in that department)

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Leveling weapons/magic

Player Tip
    Basic formula is 9 - [weapon/magic level] = exp gained per use of magic/kill with a weapon.

With weapons, if you're over the enemy's level or you don't deal the killing blow (or you're leveling Rachel's magic in town), the experience is 9 - [weapon level]/2 (this stacks by the way, so if the character that deals the killing blow is over the enemy's level, the other two will get (9 - [weapon level]/2)/2

You will always get at least 1 experience, though. So I suggest, when you're at a higher level or grinding the last couple weapon levels to just go somewhere with a lot of enemies that you can kill very quickly. The Upper Lands is generally the best place.

With magic, the single best place in the game to level Rachel's magic is the Wind Palace. You have your weapons out, so she'll get full exp for each casting. Also, the old guy will heal you to full whenever you talk to him.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Leveling weapons/magic

Player Tip
    Basic formula is 9 - [weapon/magic level] = exp gained per use of magic/kill with a weapon.

With weapons, if you're over the enemy's level or you don't deal the killing blow (or you're leveling Rachel's magic in town), the experience is 9 - [weapon level]/2 (this stacks by the way, so if the character that deals the killing blow is over the enemy's level, the other two will get (9 - [weapon level]/2)/2

You will always get at least 1 experience, though. So I suggest, when you're at a higher level or grinding the last couple weapon levels to just go somewhere with a lot of enemies that you can kill very quickly. The Upper Lands is generally the best place.

With magic, the single best place in the game to level Rachel's magic is the Wind Palace. You have your weapons out, so she'll get full exp for each casting. Also, the old guy will heal you to full whenever you talk to him.

Awesome. Good to know all of that info. I recorded episode 8 today, and will record episode 9 this afternoon. I'll stagger the releases over the next couple of days. I'll try and keep my magic leveled up after I get each seed, but I'm not sure how much I can hold out grinding like that. Is there any particular magic that it is necessary to grind?

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ok. Google video for episode 7 is up. Episodes 8 and 9 are each an hour apiece and are recorded and encoded. I'll release 8 tomorrow, and 9 on Thursday.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You tease.

gilrain on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just have to say that SoM's desert area might be my least favorite desert area of all games outside of the Mario series. It's only made up for by Salamando's music.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The Desert kinda sucks, but the Ice Country more than makes up for it.

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So I've been playing some Final Fantasy Adventure recently. Not bad. Not bad at all, 1991 Game Boy Squaresoft.

Makes me wonder why I wasted all that time on Final Fantasy Legend 2 and 3 while this gem was just around the corner.

(okay, so FFL2 and 3 are okay, but not great, and not as good as FFA).

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I never thought FFA was all that great. Having to have damn keys all the time, and way too damn many enemies with weapon resistance. That immunity noise will forever haunt me.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Frosteey wrote: »
    I never thought FFA was all that great. Having to have damn keys all the time, and way too damn many enemies with weapon resistance. That immunity noise will forever haunt me.

Yeah, true. It's a LOT like the first Zelda, but pretty much better in every way.

When I say a lot, I mean it apes Zelda in some parts in a way that's almost comical. But I do like what I'm seeing (I'm getting near the end of the game), the bosses have impressively detailed sprites for games of that era on that system, and it's nice to see where a lot of Secret's enemies, bosses and characters originated (it even has the dancing shopkeepers).

Not to mention it probably has a better story and localization than anything else from that time. Okay, so looking it up, it seems FF4 came out 3 weeks after FFA and completely ripped that torch away. But still.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yikes, blip.tv is going to get pretty mad at me at this rate. My next two episodes are 400MB apiece. I need to start encoding them at a lower bitrate. I get about 75 - 100 downloads on each file, and if each file averages 300MB, that's 30000 (30GB) of bandwidth per file. I will have... 30 episodes? In theory? So about a terabyte of bandwidth. Crazy.

I didn't get into RPGs until maybe FFIII. I remember playing Mystic Quest and hating it ("all I do is press 'a'. This game sucks"), but even back then I didn't really know of RPGs as a genre. I'm not sure when, but somewhere along the way, I became a fanatic: I still own FFIII, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Super Mario RPG, and Illusion of Gaia.

Never played any of the RPGs on the Game Boy until they were pretty outdated (played Dragon Quest compilation on GBC). I might give them a try, but it's hard going back to some of the older RPGs sometimes.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh hey, I just remembered I have these shots I took with my webcam a little under two years ago after a friend of mine came back from a trip to Japan with a souvenir for me.

sd3_1.jpg
    sd3_2.jpg
    sd3_3.jpg
    sd3_4.jpg
    sd3_5.jpg

e-cred++

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh hey, I just remembered I have these shots I took with my webcam a little under two years ago after a friend of mine came back from a trip to Japan with a souvenir for me.

(awesome images)

e-cred++

Wow, that's pretty rad. I've heard great things about SD3, but have never played it myself.

I need to take pictures of my Nintendo Power collection. I'm missing about 40 issues from the late 90s, but it's otherwise complete with all posters still connected and all of the guides. The Secret of Mana walkthrough is pretty funny... they had a tendency to write RPG walkthroughs like they're telling a story (in 3rd or 1st person). The Link to the Past guide is the worst guide in the universe.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    He was like "Hey I got you a little something".

And he took a little Phoenix Wright fridge magnet out of his bag and I thought that was pretty sweet.

Then he said "Ah, and there's something else."

And there it was.

Factory-sealed.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CulverCulver Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Damn SimBen..that's pretty Badass..lucky :(

Culver on
    Brawl FC: 3050-7350-3428
    360 GamerTag: Culver42
    Sc2 Beta ID : Culver. Culver
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    SD3 is great, but a factory-sealed copy? Wow. That's a good friend.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well to be fair, he did make me pay him back for it. But he got it for the equivalent of like 30 bucks in the first shop he entered in Akihabara.

I have deduced from this experience that Japan is fucking awesome.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    HEY NOW GUYS. This is my thread! Stop talking about how awesome SimBen is in my thread... he's got his own thread for that.

somep8.gifEpisode 8 : "Badger Badger Badger Badger"

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    This will ruin boss fights, but I feel I need to tell you.

Player Tip
    Chaining magic:

Cast the spell. As soon as the elemental (Gnome, Undine, etc) disappears, the game considers the spell "cast" and you can open the menu and cast it again. This will also make leveling your magic much easier

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2008
    This will ruin boss fights, but I feel I need to tell you.

Player Tip
    Chaining magic:

Cast the spell. As soon as the elemental (Gnome, Undine, etc) disappears, the game considers the spell "cast" and you can open the menu and cast it again. This will also make leveling your magic much easier

Yeah, that's what I've been doing for leveling magic up. The snake battle was, er... I have no idea what happened there. Popo was all "naw I ain't casting that" and I was all "oh no you didn" and then he was all "oh noes now I'm about to die again".

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well, Popo wasn't casting in the snake fight because you kept trying to get him to cast when he was knocked down after taking a hit.

But I noticed you doing it wrong on Mech Rider, too, so I thought I'd mention. :P

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2008
    Guys, you know who's pretty awesome? Doc Holliday. Let's give him a round of applause!

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well, Popo wasn't casting in the snake fight because you kept trying to get him to cast when he was knocked down after taking a hit.

But I noticed you doing it wrong on Mech Rider, too, so I thought I'd mention. :P

Oh pshaw, I'm not doing it wrong. I'm doing it oh so right.

Thanks SimBen! I'm glad someone is spreading the news of how great I am.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Doc will actually update his LP instead of playing Brawl all the time.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Aww Doc, you ARE entertaining. This LP is my favorite currently-running one. :D

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "I'd rather have my gums scraped"???

Is that some kinda Ted Woolsey in-joke or something? 'Cause the exact same line is in Chrono Trigger and it's just as weird in there.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Aw shucks :oops:

It just dawned on me that maybe listening to me drone on for 20+ hours isn't the most exciting thing, but I'm glad you guys find it entertaining. Sim, your LP and Gilders always make me laugh, but I'm not sure I'm doing anything particularly funny.

ALTHOUGH, episode 9 has a treat for those of you who enjoy the ice country.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Doc will actually update his LP instead of playing Brawl all the time.

AWWWWW SNAP.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This video has been really laggy for me. I even downloaded the whole thing it it's still giving me troubles. It's probably my computer or Firefox acting up, but just to be sure is no else having problems?

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Aw shucks :oops:

It just dawned on me that maybe listening to me drone on for 20+ hours isn't the most exciting thing, but I'm glad you guys find it entertaining. Sim, your LP and Gilders always make me laugh, but I'm not sure I'm doing anything particularly funny.

ALTHOUGH, episode 9 has a treat for those of you who enjoy the ice country.

I like your voices. You're way better at doing them than I am. :D

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    This video has been really laggy for me. I even downloaded the whole thing it it's still giving me troubles. It's probably my computer or Firefox acting up, but just to be sure is no else having problems?

Hm, that's a shame. I'm uploading to Google Video now so maybe that will help things? I wish I could find an easier way of providing high quality vids to you guys. I'm missing Stage6 right about now :|

Doc Holliday on