As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games you miss?

1235»

• Options
    vdanhalenvvdanhalenv Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have yet to find a current gen survival horror game that really captures that isolated and helpless feeling of previous gen classics like Silent Hill 1-2, Forbidden Siren, Clock Tower etc....

I found most of the recent ones invoke more of a rambo feeling

sure your alone and surrounded by zombies but it's ok cause you can totally waste them all without breaking a sweat

vdanhalenv on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    vdanhalenv wrote: »
    I have yet to find a current gen survival horror game that really captures that isolated and helpless feeling of previous gen classics like Silent Hill 1-2, Forbidden Siren, Clock Tower etc....

I found most of the recent ones invoke more of a rambo feeling

sure your alone and surrounded by zombies but it's ok cause you can totally waste them all without breaking a sweat

That just seems like RE4.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    VarethiusVarethius CymruRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    hmmmn, I miss F-Zero. Nights, into dreams. Stuff like Dessert and urban strike too, they were fun.... Smash TV was also kinda cool.... Along with... *thinks* hmmmn, Aha! Afterburner =)

Those are kinda the ones I miss =p

Varethius on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm gonna say Freedom Force.

Look Mr. Levine, I know Bioshock made you all fashionable, but if you don't make a new FF game I'm going to be very cross with you.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I get occational urges to play Outrun 2. Often they come out of the blue, mostly on Friday nights or weekends.

I dunno what's so special about it but I think it's mostly the music and the nostalgia it brings. Outrun 2 was a fantastic successor to the original IMO, they managed to nail down everything that I loved about Outrun and then update it to "current gen" standards.

But I can't really keep my xbox around just for playing this one game, so sadly it's packed down somewhere in a box in the attic, and it's sadly too much of a hassle to go get down here and plug it in when I get the urge. :(

Grudge on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I miss my copy of Parasite Eve 2. I may have been the only one but I loved that game. I sold it along with the rest of my PS1 collection about a year and a half ago (maybe two years) when I was in DIRE financial straits. I've been trying to re-buy it ever since to no avail. I don't however miss it enough to spend $50 on it like I mainly see online.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The mechwarrior franchise in general (not that xbox dumbed down BS). I remember near endless amounts of customization and rebuilding. But unfortunately what MS has done with so many games in the past (crimson skies comes to mind) they pretty much completely remove support allowing cheaters to flourish and kill the online gameplay while they put all their effort into their stupid xbox kiddie ports, yea im bitter. And yea I know there is a mektek community still putting out mods and whatnot, but unless your can schedule gametime finding games to play online is a pain. R.I.P. Battletech, I blame microsoft and will forever more.

Roxtar on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I miss double dragon, and as soon as I beat CSS Sci-fi, I will miss taht too.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wish there was another Populous game, Black & White didn't really cut it.

Magic Carpet is also high on my list, as well as Syndicate.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I miss my twisted metal games.

The first one was loaned to a friend that never returned.

The second was somehow lost in a closet (it technically works, but instead of an intro, it loads sweettooth's ending every time.

The 3rd and 4th were traded in.

Finally Black was stolen.

Hell, even though the 3rd and 4th weren't that great, I'd still play them again. I loved those vortex abilities.

I really wish we would have seen a second Twisted Metal on the PS2, as I don't own a PSP or a PS3. :(

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Twisted Metal: Head On just got released for PS2.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    john_boy-1313john_boy-1313 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i miss marvel vs capcom

john_boy-1313 on
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    The MMO discussion got me thinking, and I dunno if we talked about it earlier in the thread, but...

Though that could be applied to any MMO (or semi-MMO), I miss the old days when Guild Wars was new. I miss when I was playing the open beta pre-release with my friends, who were all hyped for this game. I miss when [INSERT YOUR OWN MMO] was still a new experience for everyone, every outpost was full of people who hadn't finished the main quest yet, no cookie-cutter strategy existed, people just developped their characters like they saw fit. FAQs weren't finished, people asked a lot of questions, nobody knew everything yet. Nobody counted the DPS ratio, or tweaked their stats. You weren't a "cripple tank", you were the mighty warrior of Ascalon. You weren't a "SF ele", you were the fiery Allista FireStar or whatever, powerful elementalist from Kryta.

There's always this short, incredible period with MMOs. It seems that the more we advance in time, the shorter these periods are with every new game.

Sure, the actual gameplay (the core mechanics and the UI) has VASTLY improved since release, but now I'm just fast-travelling from one empty PvE outpost to another to farm certain items to make the exact PvP gear I need for maximum efficiency (and not for physical appearance).

I know EXACTLY what you mean, I loved those stages of MMO's.

The problem is sites like thotbott and wowhead (WoW example obviously) but they just tell everyone how to play. It spoils the whole essence of MMO's!!

You can try and avoid them yourself (as I did with WoW) for a long time, but because everyone else uses them (majority probably) the effects are felt all over anyway.

It's a real shame.

I want to play EVE again, that was awesome, everything you needed was in-game.

Snare on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My sister's ex fucking boyfriend took my damn genesis and all my games for it. (He was a sleaze too, started seeing another girl behind her back).

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Snare wrote: »
    The MMO discussion got me thinking, and I dunno if we talked about it earlier in the thread, but...

Though that could be applied to any MMO (or semi-MMO), I miss the old days when Guild Wars was new. I miss when I was playing the open beta pre-release with my friends, who were all hyped for this game. I miss when [INSERT YOUR OWN MMO] was still a new experience for everyone, every outpost was full of people who hadn't finished the main quest yet, no cookie-cutter strategy existed, people just developped their characters like they saw fit. FAQs weren't finished, people asked a lot of questions, nobody knew everything yet. Nobody counted the DPS ratio, or tweaked their stats. You weren't a "cripple tank", you were the mighty warrior of Ascalon. You weren't a "SF ele", you were the fiery Allista FireStar or whatever, powerful elementalist from Kryta.

There's always this short, incredible period with MMOs. It seems that the more we advance in time, the shorter these periods are with every new game.

Sure, the actual gameplay (the core mechanics and the UI) has VASTLY improved since release, but now I'm just fast-travelling from one empty PvE outpost to another to farm certain items to make the exact PvP gear I need for maximum efficiency (and not for physical appearance).

I know EXACTLY what you mean, I loved those stages of MMO's.

The problem is sites like thotbott and wowhead (WoW example obviously) but they just tell everyone how to play. It spoils the whole essence of MMO's!!

You can try and avoid them yourself (as I did with WoW) for a long time, but because everyone else uses them (majority probably) the effects are felt all over anyway.

It's a real shame.

I want to play EVE again, that was awesome, everything you needed was in-game.

Sorry about the double post, but this made me think of Phantasy Star Online back when it was first released for the Dremcast. Back before the cheaters and dupers. This is why I don' t play MMOs anymore to really get the most fun out of them you need to play them fanatically when they first come out. Something I don't have the time to do anymore.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    PsychoCucumberPsychoCucumber Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I miss CaveMan Games. Even though me and my friends were apparently the only people who ever played it.

And Twisted Metal marathons, switching the controllers around as you lost.

Also, Goldeneye and people to play it with. There's just something about talking shit to people who are right next to you, as well as the occasional "You're looking at my screen!"

Sigh.

PsychoCucumber on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I miss SSB:Brawl. And my wii. I will continue to cry nightly about this until nintendo returns it to me.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I miss CaveMan Games. Even though me and my friends were apparently the only people who ever played it.

No you aren't.

Blowing on your bundle of sticks in attempt to make that fire bigger until you get dizzy? That was me.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I miss playing Toy Commander with my friends.

Arrath on
  • Options
    vdanhalenvvdanhalenv Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Goemon's Great Adventure for the N64

My brother and I had so much fun playing that game. I still pray for a wortyh sequel

vdanhalenv on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A top down game called something like Speedy Gonazales where you raced really really quickly down these twitch tracks. If someone knows what it was called... plz do tell.

Sueve on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sueve wrote: »
    A top down game called something like Speedy Gonazales where you raced really really quickly down these twitch tracks. If someone knows what it was called... plz do tell.

I remember a game that was a lot like that for the Nintendo, in fact it was a fellow Warner Bros. characters' game.

Road Runner had you playing as the character of the same name, barreling down a road at full speed... if you stopped, or collided into anything, the coyote would catch up with you and it was Game Over. If you ate bird seed, I think it made you go faster or something like that, I can't remember exactly. All I have are fuzzy memories of it from when I rented it once a long, long time ago. But I think this may be the one you were talking about.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I remember a game that was a lot like that for the Nintendo, in fact it was a fellow Warner Bros. characters' game.

Road Runner had you playing as the character of the same name, barreling down a road at full speed... if you stopped, or collided into anything, the coyote would catch up with you and it was Game Over. If you ate bird seed, I think it made you go faster or something like that, I can't remember exactly. All I have are fuzzy memories of it from when I rented it once a long, long time ago. But I think this may be the one you were talking about.

Oh god, that game sucked so bad. But I played a lot of it.

Djiem on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Oh god, that game sucked so bad. But I played a lot of it.

I remember playing this road runner game for my Game Gear.

I never did beat it, but I just about burned out the cartridge with the time I put playing the damn thing.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Milquetoast ThugMilquetoast Thug Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, if only because some ungrateful little fuck stole it from me two days before his family moved out of town.

Milquetoast Thug on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No, the game was for pc.

Sueve on