As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Random Gift Ideas

WuckFarcraftWuckFarcraft Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Im looking for gift ideas for my brother. However, I would like to steer away from the conventional gift ideas such as DVDs or Video Games. He's 20 years old, enjoys sports. I was thinking of getting him maybe some tickets to sports events.

He originally wanted some more workout equipment for his gym but looks like he will be living at a college campus for an internship, which he would have access to a gym.

Maybe some books, but he really doesn't have time to read them. He really reads a lot during the summer, but my mother gives him books from her book club which he usually reads such as Life of Pie or Kite Runner.

He likes sports, working out, playing video games and watching movies. However, I would like to steer away from video games and DVDs.

Are there any good gift or gift ideas you would like to share? Anything you received recently and really liked? Doesn't have to be mainstream and could be anything outside of these interest. It can be expensive, I really don't want to set a price range.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I know he really likes Flight of the Conchords but I did not see them playing in New York anytime this summer. That was my first idea.

WuckFarcraft on

• RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, as far as New York sports go, it looks like the Rangers, Isles, and Sabres *may* all have a shot at the playoffs, so if he's a hockey fan and you can manage to secure some postseason tickets I'm sure he'd love those.

There's a lot of good concerts constantly coming to our area. Clapton just played MSG and he recently announced a show at Jones Beach this summer. I'm on a Live Nation mailing list that sends me info about some of the bigger shows in the area, and for the smaller bands I get a lot of word of mouth from friends and co-workers.

The latest gift I've received that was ten kinds of awesome was a gift certificate to Skydive Long Island out in Calverton. If your brother is the thrill-seeker type, you really can't go wrong there.

If you let me know how much you'd be willing to spend, I've got some other ideas as well.

Reckless on
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Depending on cost, Ipod? Iphone? (the phone rocks so hard)

If you are looking to go cheaper if you live outside the united states perhaps a good bottle of whiskey. (I could recomend you dozens)

Some under armor TM athletic clothes appropriate for your climate. (that shit is expensive to buy on your own but it is sooooo comfy)

Favorite team jerseys if he is into pro sports.

I'm 25 and most of my gifts revolve around alcohol and sporting equipment as well. The best 2 presents I received in the past few years were my ipod and a collection of soccer jerseys from europe and the united states.

Maybe

Limp moose on
  • WuckFarcraftWuckFarcraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate your responses.

I just found out that my grandparents got him REALLY good seats to a Mets game. I was thinking of doing something like that or if the band he wanted to see was playing.

Pirate John that link doesn't work. Under armor is a great suggestion, he already has some but I guess I could use that unless I think of something better.

He's not a big jersey wearer, but he has a few. That is a great suggestion.

More suggestions are definitely appreciated!

He actually got an iPhone for christmas.

WuckFarcraft on
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    weird. was up yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-2nd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0976805421

it's the bible of strength training and a damn good read for any athlete.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
    edited March 2008
    Looks like a damn good book. I think I will order him that. But I really also wanted to get him something big.

WuckFarcraft on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A Powerball.

They're basically a gyroscope inside a ball that you hold in your hand. As you rotate your wrist it spins faster and faster, until eventually it's just a struggle to even grasp the thing. It does wonders for grip and arm strength.

You can even get a version with an LCD readout that tells you the forces that are involved.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited March 2008
    That is awesome. I think I will get that for him also or suggest it to my sister.

I'm guessing this is the best one to get?

http://www.powerballs.com/shop/product_info.php?pid=5

Any other ideas? These are great guys.

WuckFarcraft on
  • Shark_MegaByteShark_MegaByte Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gift card to a sporting goods store? So he can get his own workout clothes, etc.

Shark_MegaByte on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How much are you willing to spend?

Blake T on
    edited March 2008
    EDIT:

I really don't want to say that that is not true.

I would say most I would spend would be between 400-500.

WuckFarcraft on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Why don't you look at getting him an introductory to some kind of outdoor course? Rock climbing, bungee jumping, absailing or hang gliding, something outside his usual zone.

Blake T on
    edited March 2008
    Not a bad idea. However, I don't think he would have time to do this considering he goes to school out of state. When he comes back, he will be away on an internship and he plans to travel for the remaining time during his summer.

Thanks for the suggestion, and it is something I should definitely look into more.

WuckFarcraft on