As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play(Suffer)] Super Metroid - Gotta catch 'em all! (Collecting Shit)

Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
Hello, Internet. I'm Shady and won't you join me through this magnificent journey.

smp.png

Released in April 18, 1994, Super Metroid is considered by almost all Metroid fans as the best Metroid in the series. Almost all mechanics introduced in this game carry over to every other Metroid after. Most of these were introduced in this game for the very first time.

The game revolves around Samus Aran. She is an intergalactic bounty hunter. Most of her exploits involve fighting off the Space Pirates and putting an end to their dastardly plans. In Super Metroid, after just leaving the last Metroid in the Ceres Space Colony for research purposes, Ridley breaks in, kills everyone on the station, and makes off with the larvae Metroid. Samus is once again call upon to kick some Space Pirate ass.

This thread is going to be a little bit different from other Let's Plays. I'm going to be playing through the game with level conditions and boss conditions given to me by the viewers. I'll probably change the way people can get their ideas chosen, but for the most part all conditions will come from the viewers.

Why not play through it vanilla you ask? Well the simple answer is that it wouldn't be any fun for me or you. I've played this game to death. It is without a doubt my single favorite game of all time. I feel that this way I'll be able to play Super Metroid in ways I never thought of (or would want to) and provide the viewers with entertaining videos (possibly laugh riots).

Anyway, let's get started!

Intro - Level Condition: Play upside down physically and flip my controller upside down as well. Provided by Gilder

Taking out the Bomb Guardian: Level Condition - Do almost everything Samus does in real life. (Gilder) Boss Condition - Fight blind and wait 3 claw swipes before attacking. (SimBen with some help from yours truly)

Spore Spawn Serenade: Level Condition - Sing a line from a song when I get hit. Make a clean lick across a part of my body when picking up an item. (Schide and Gilder) Boss Condition - Only attack when health is at a prime number. (Xenogears of Bore)

Brinstar -> Norfair: Kraid. Level Condition: Play least favorite album and move to the beat of it. (eecc) Boss Condition: Don't shoot at thrown projectiles and only shoot Kraid diagonally down.

Item Collection: PokeChat Edition - Part 1 Part 2

Shady3011 on

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you can't put the entire game, 100% complete, in one video, you fail.

:P

I keed I keed.

Not really.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited March 2008
    Alright, I'll give the level condition to the person who can come up with an interesting way to choose conditions. The boss condition will go to the person who can come up with a witty title for this thread.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I say you have to do at least one entire area only in morph ball mode. I can forgive necessary changes, like walls that can only be destroyed by dashing, etc. But those situations are pretty rare.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Canada is 1337Canada is 1337 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ah, Super Metroid. Slowbeef from the SA forums did a great LP of this last year (incidentally, it was the first LP I ever saw):

http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Super%20Metroid/

Good luck!

Canada is 1337 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Best game in the world. *nod nod*

Also, I demand you do the no-bosses run, aside from the chozo-statue with the bombs. After that, you have to collect all the items possible without killing any other bosses.

GO! <.<

Henroid on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I want to know about sequence breaking and other crazy stuff in this game. I've managed to complete it in 1:45 or so in my own efforts and don't understand how to do it faster. Let's include that kind of thing please :)

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've been rewatching the Super Metroid and Redesign LPs at the SA archive, as well as replaying that game twice last week. This'll be a lot of fun to keep up on.

I've played the game so much it's gotten to the point where I can't go through it "normally" anymore. I do the little sequence break things almost out of habit.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    God, this is the slowest speed run ever.

Also, since you're starting a game you know by heart with a ridiculous condition, why not make this a megathread? There really haven't been enough LP's of Metroid, Metroid II, Fusion, Zero Mission, or the Prime games. Could be interesting...

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do the suitless walkthrough. It'll make you insane.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    God, this is the slowest speed run ever.

Also, since you're starting a game you know by heart with a ridiculous condition, why not make this a megathread? There really haven't been enough LP's of Metroid, Metroid II, Fusion, Zero Mission, or the Prime games. Could be interesting...

I concur. I haven't seen an LP of any of these besides Super Metroid. Assuming I can get a way of recording I wouldn't mind doing any one of these.

Aistan on
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shady, you magnificent fucker.
    Ah, Super Metroid. Slowbeef from the SA forums did a great LP of this last year (incidentally, it was the first LP I ever saw):

http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Super%20Metroid/

Good luck!

This is more fun to watch.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would've been impressed if you could've made Ridley drop the Metroid canister while playing upside down. Oh well.

Just remember Shady, you have a lot to live up to with this game. The original LP is really good so you better pick the best conditions.

Gilder on
  • Options
    iadrianiadrian Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Awesome, Shady. I experienced a brief moment of religious-like joy when I saw this thread. I'm expecting nothing less than 100% essence of awesome.

iadrian on
    Brawl: 2964-8274-9230
    D/P: 2621-2512-5050
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Well, if people followed what I asked and stopped giving whole game conditions, we could probably get somewhere. :P

Anyway, I don't want to turn this thread into a mega LP since I feel it would detract from its intended purpose. Namely, me being frustrated playing through this game.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Every time you have to use missles or bombs, take a shot of whiskey.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Well, if people followed what I asked and stopped giving whole game conditions, we could probably get somewhere. :P

Anyway, I don't want to turn this thread into a mega LP since I feel it would detract from its intended purpose. Namely, me being frustrated playing through this game.

Fair enough. Conditions for the zone bosses or the mini bosses as well?

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    After you defeat the bomb guardian up until Spore Spawn you cannot anything but bombs or missiles to kill enemies.

Aistan on
  • Options
    iadrianiadrian Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't know if this is even physically possible, hence I suggest that someone else do it.

Play through an entire area...using your feet.

iadrian on
    Brawl: 2964-8274-9230
    D/P: 2621-2512-5050
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Shady3011 wrote: »

Fair enough. Conditions for the zone bosses or the mini bosses as well?

For the next video, level condition for how I'll navigate through the level and a separate one for the bomb guardian. I'll keep it rather short to see how it works out.

Again, if you missed my earlier post, to get the level condition give me a neat idea for choosing conditions. As for the bomb guardian condition, come up with a witty title for this thread.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Level condition should go to whoever can give the coolest/most obscure Metroid Fact.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thread title? [Let's Suffer Through] Super Metroid.

If you do pick my boss condition, well, beat one of the bosses (if I get to choose? Ridley) with the following controls:

Shoot - Select
    Angle up - X
    Angle down - Y
    Switch weapons - B
    Cancel weapons - R
    Run - A
    Jump - L

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The first boss condition is for the bomb guardian. I feel like I'm repeating myself. :x

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yes well maybe I wrote my post before you posted that one!

It took a while to come up with the evilest controls imaginable.

Wait, can you map Start? :twisted:

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You want a good way to pick conditions? How about whomever posts the best Samus fanart!

I've always liked this one

http://i32.tinypic.com/v30qa8.jpg

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You want a good way to pick conditions? How about whomever posts the best Samus fanart!

I've always liked this one

http://i32.tinypic.com/v30qa8.jpg

Hey no fair, I would've posted that one if you hadn't beaten me to it. :(
    That used to be my wallpaper.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    SimBen proves once again to have excellent taste.

There is so much good Metroid Fan art and Concept art that it would be hard to decide a best.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wow, that is a feckin sweet pic.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just finished Super Metroid yesterday! 6:10, 68% items. Not my best run ever, but still an awesome time.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    6 hours?....

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    BTW, this is an awesome TA speed run.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6367620428187535284

Its kindof fun watching Samus just lay waste to the whole damn planet.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    6 hours?....

Er... I meant I had an awesome time playing the game, not that the time of my run was awesome, because it clearly wasn't.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fuck, how did I miss this thread

I played SM like 100 times in the past month or two

Elendil on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    BTW, this is an awesome TA speed run.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6367620428187535284

Its kindof fun watching Samus just lay waste to the whole damn planet.

They've killed that time since, the time on there is about 46 min, the current record is closer to 41. It's actually the most recent update on the TAS page. There's two different runs on it, actually, one by the in-game clock and another in real time. They're still close though.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Alright, guys. You're failing me here except for SimBen and Xenogears of Bore. At this rate, I'll have to force both of them to come up with cruel conditions. Go ahead and start thinking, guys. If you need help, check out the MegaMan LP SA did. This is where I got the idea for this gimmick.

SimBen, your idea for boss condition would be good on a later boss or part of the world. For now, it's not all that good since all I'm going to be doing is jumping and shooting against the bomb guardian. New idea, stat!

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Um, okay, okay.

Do you have an SNES mouse? If so, beat the Torizo using it and only it. I'm pretty sure that can be done.

If not, uh... do it blindfolded?

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It's looking like it's going to have to be blindfolded since I don't have a SNES mouse.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dammit man, that condition isn't creative enough! You want a good one? Mimic almost everything Samus does. If you make her crouch, you crouch. Walk, you walk in place. Run, run in place. Jump, you jump.

No cheating with the morph ball or wall jumps either. Every wall jump counts as a normal jump and the morph ball counts as running. Failure to comply with any of these results in you touching your toes for 10 seconds. Followed by 10 jumping jacks.

Gilder on
  • Options
    shinobushinobu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Does playing with one hand work?

shinobu on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    As soon as you get the Spazer use no other weapon until the next boss unless absolutely forced to to progress.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Okay, I decided to take Gilder's level condition since it sounds absolutely stupid. SimBen's boss condition isn't too bad in my opinion but not very original. I think the bomb guardian will be no problem even blindfolded. I think I might have something up my sleeves for this boss battle.

Alright, for the next level condition guess how many times I get hit. For the boss condition, guess how much health/deaths I'll have by the end of the video. Closet to it wins.

Shady3011 on